5th Time to Fix the Grinding Noise of the Sunroof - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by taofen_wang View Post
      Hi Heimdall,

The TJ33183 has been applied: replaced roller blind with cassette. It seems to be improved a lot. Just little noise while starting to open the sunshade. Temperature is 33 Celsius while testing. During the repair, technician observed rust staining due to water intrusion. One of the sunroof panels will be replaced next time.
      Iíve been there and the sound came back few weeks later.
      I honestly hope it holds for you
      Last week the shade just popped out of place and slapped me on the head. By then I just got fed up and pushed it all the way back and went and pushed the buyback, which was completed and car surrendered yesterday. I just could handle this issue anymore.

I honestly hope yours hold up. Keep in mind that this part is now warrantied for life for you. as per Volvo promise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
      Iíve been there and the sound came back few weeks later.
      I honestly hope it holds for you
      Last week the shade just popped out of place and slapped me on the head. By then I just got fed up and pushed it all the way back and went and pushed the buyback, which was completed and car surrendered yesterday. I just could handle this issue anymore.

I honestly hope yours hold up. Keep in mind that this part is now warrantied for life for you. as per Volvo promise.

I hope so. It is a nice SUV with many issues we had to deal with. Wish you all the best.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

5th Time to Fix the Grinding Noise of the Sunroof

I hope so. It is a nice SUV with many issues we had to deal with. Wish you all the best.

It is indeed a nice car
      I donít believe that there are that many serious issues with it. Mine was kinda weird
      Defective bumper, clear coat peeling off, sunroof shade. Infotainment system just turning completely off, the usual break sound. Which Iím fine with all except the shade and infotainment going off.

I hope youíll be luckier than me and the fix holds.

I did get another on thou, I went RD this time.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It is indeed a nice car
      I donít believe that there are that many serious issues with it. Mine was kinda weird
      Defective bumper, clear coat peeling off, sunroof shade. Infotainment system just turning completely off, the usual break sound. Which Iím fine with all except the shade and infotainment going off.

I hope youíll be luckier than me and the fix holds.

I did get another on thou, I went RD this time.

Mine is MY16. So far, the following items have been replaced:

Hammer Thor light fixtures
      air suspension pump
      air suspension rear shocks
      T8 battery fuse and coolant value
      temperature sensor,
      IGM (recall)
      front seat (bottom part)
      coolant heater
      sterling wheel phone pads
      sunroof cassette

heater core (pending)
      sunroof panel (pending)

Plus many software issues that caused engine light on, and rattle from second row seats and front door panel.

Last edited by taofen_wang; 06-30-2018 at 09:38 PM.

Mine is MY16. So far, the following items have been replaced:

Hammer Thor light fixtures
      air suspension pump
      air suspension rear shocks
      T8 battery fuse and coolant value
      temperature sensor,
      IGM (recall)
      front seat (bottom part)
      coolant heater
      sterling weel phone pads
      sunroof cassette

heater core (pending)
      sunroof panel (pending)

Plus many software issues that caused engine light on, and rattle from second row seats and front door panel.

Wow i guess mine was really the worst being MY18 and at 1000 miles.

I do understand the issues with the first MY16, being a first lunch, but Just lemon it, what are you waiting for!!!
      How many of these are repetitive ones and still reoccurring ?

I mean since itís this troublesome, Iím sure theyíll buy it back and give you all what you paid.

Last edited by Heimdall; 06-30-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Wow i guess mine was really the worst being MY18 and at 1000 miles.

I do understand the issues with the first MY16, being a first lunch, but Just lemon it, what are you waiting for!!!
      How many of these are repetitive ones and still reoccurring ?

I mean since itís this troublesome, Iím sure theyíll buy it back and give you all what you paid.

Mine is 4 years lease. They did offer trade-in assist which I refused to take since it will be a new release for another 4 year term. Once these issues are gone, it is still a good one if I want to keep. If mileage is high in the end of the lease or battery capacity is down more than 5%, I will just return it.

Mine is 4 years lease. They did offer trade-in assist which I refused to take since it will be a new release for another 4 year term. Once these issues are gone, it is still a good one if I want to keep. If mileage is high in the end of the lease or battery capacity is down more than 5%, I will just return it.

I would try to push a buyback as hard as possible.

I would try to push a buyback as hard as possible.

There is no such lemon law in Canada. Trade-in assist is the best I can get.

There is no such lemon law in Canada. Trade-in assist is the best I can get.

Thatís a hard one there.
      Way I see it. If youíre planning to keep it. You have no choice but to keep chasing the warranty and ask for an extended warranty considering the issues that keeping popping up.

On the other hand if youíre not keeping it, i would ignore all what I can from these issues and just live with it till itís returned. By that I mean the non major issues. And use that to somehow get some credit back on what youíve paid for annoyance
      Say 6 months payments or so.
      Iím sure Iím just stating the obvious and probably youíve considered that route.

But I would push this by calculating the days it stayed in shop for such issues and claim your money for those days at least if not a bit more.

Thatís a hard one there.
      Way I see it. If youíre planning to keep it. You have no choice but to keep chasing the warranty and ask for an extended warranty considering the issues that keeping popping up.

On the other hand if youíre not keeping it, i would ignore all what I can from these issues and just live with it till itís returned. By that I mean the non major issues. And use that to somehow get some credit back on what youíve paid for annoyance
      Say 6 months payments or so.
      Iím sure Iím just stating the obvious and probably youíve considered that route.

But I would push this by calculating the days it stayed in shop for such issues and claim your money for those days at least if not a bit more.

I still have 21 months lease left and enough time to observe the vehicle. The good part is that I live close by and my dealer give me loaner. The major issues are gone. If I keep it I probably take extended warranty.

If I don't keep it, then I will look for a new lease. It also depends on whether my T8 is outdated in terms of technology and styling.

So I just took my 2017 XC90 in for this issue. The noise is getting really bad. Mainly happens when retracting the sun shade. Not so much on moving it forward.

Dealer's service department called and told me the fix was to replace the shade assembly, and that was $1,400+. I'm at 64,000 miles and over warranty at this point. I also had my passenger's side mirror stop adjusting and need that motor replaced to the tune of $526. Needless to say I'm not really happy.

I told him to not bother fixing the sun shade. I use it so seldomly (it's open 95% of the time) that I'll just deal with the noise.

Question for anyone else who has had this issue - does the sun shade eventually break/stop working or is it purely a sound issue with no real impact on functionality?

Quote Originally Posted by nas4a View Post
      So I just took my 2017 XC90 in for this issue. The noise is getting really bad. Mainly happens when retracting the sun shade. Not so much on moving it forward.

Dealer's service department called and told me the fix was to replace the shade assembly, and that was $1,400+. I'm at 64,000 miles and over warranty at this point. I also had my passenger's side mirror stop adjusting and need that motor replaced to the tune of $526. Needless to say I'm not really happy.

I told him to not bother fixing the sun shade. I use it so seldomly (it's open 95% of the time) that I'll just deal with the noise.

Question for anyone else who has had this issue - does the sun shade eventually break/stop working or is it purely a sound issue with no real impact on functionality?
      Have tried shade / motor three time to fix the issue and unfortunately the issue is sill present. I don't believe it will stop to function since it is the metal string that touches the frame.

On my second shade and it just started making noise again. Would be nice to know the answer to this question!
      Current: '18 XC90 Inscription, Pine Grey

Formerly: '16 XC90 Inscription, Osmium Grey, Polestar

Once the lubrications materials they use there fades away.

The retracting cables for the shade start dragging on the body of the car.
      Specially if it expanded with hot weather or direct sunlight.

That being said. Itís completely silent on cold weather.

So basically in my opinion itís either a design error.

Or a poor choice of materials and suppliers.

To answer your question.

It will not breakdown from that specific issue unless someone tampers with it by trying to tighten the retracting cables.

PS. Replaced it over 8 times in one and another 3 in another. It never goes away in hot weather and it never broke-down yet.

Once the lubrications materials they use there fades away.

The retracting cables for the shade start dragging on the body of the car.
      Specially if it expanded with hot weather or direct sunlight.

That being said. Itís completely silent on cold weather.

So basically in my opinion itís either a design error.

Or a poor choice of materials and suppliers.

To answer your question.

It will not breakdown from that specific issue unless someone tampers with it by trying to tighten the retracting cables.

PS. Replaced it over 8 times in one and another 3 in another. It never goes away in hot weather and it never broke-down yet.

Thanks - this is very helpful. I noticed over the weekend the noise was a lot less in the cooler temperatures. I'll be curious if it goes away completely by winter. I'm surprised you can't just put Dynamat or something where the cable drags on the frame to remedy it...

Thanks - this is very helpful. I noticed over the weekend the noise was a lot less in the cooler temperatures. I'll be curious if it goes away completely by winter. I'm surprised you can't just put Dynamat or something where the cable drags on the frame to remedy it...
      Iíve tried with the dealer many attempts to adjust it. All in vain. And one ended up breaking the cables while in use.

Itís clearly a design flaw that needs to be addressed.

I just got back from having the "sun shade / inner panel sun roof" replaced on my '18 and now it's worse than when I took it in. It's only 30 degrees F here and it does it only about the first foot or so of opening the shade from fully closed. Like others, mine started to do it only when the sun was beating on it, but now it does it every time, regardless of temperature. They're going to order a whole new frame; we'll see how it goes. The work order does reference TJ 83612-2. The tech wasn't happy that the "fix" didn't work as he has another one in the shop for the same issue that he was going to work on later in the week.
      2018 Volvo XC90 Momentum +
      2007 Aston Martin DB9 Coupe
      2012 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by willin58 View Post
      I just got back from having the "sun shade / inner panel sun roof" replaced on my '18 and now it's worse than when I took it in. It's only 30 degrees F here and it does it only about the first foot or so of opening the shade from fully closed. Like others, mine started to do it only when the sun was beating on it, but now it does it every time, regardless of temperature. They're going to order a whole new frame; we'll see how it goes. The work order does reference TJ 83612-2. The tech wasn't happy that the "fix" didn't work as he has another one in the shop for the same issue that he was going to work on later in the week.
      Iíve reported it to NHTSA and stopped bothering with trying to fix it.
      Itís simply useless. Itís a design flaw.

On a side note, Iím interested to know if owners in other countries have this issue or is it US specifications specific.

Which leads to the main question, how different are these cars when it comes to regions. US Vs the rest of the world.

Mine does it every time regardless of temp. But I only open it once every dozen times I drive. So it makes a noise. Could be a lot worse and from all the people having more issues after trying to fix it I guess youíre probably better off just dealing with it. Turn up the radio for a minute.

My blind just stopped working completely. Car still few months under warranty, so took it to the dealer for them to fix it. They couldn't and said the blind motor was the fault. The managed to brake the entire sunroof electrics though, so now it cannot be opened. They booked a new time for the car in a month...thanks for s*** stupid dealer. I use the vent feature in the sunroof daily, but apparently I won't the next month. To replace the blind engine, they need to remove the entire headliner, which I am very concerned about, as that will most likely create even more squeaky noises. For the last 21 months I have been to the dealer roughly 20 times, and most of those times they had the car an entire day, without fixing anything. I really like the car, but the overall experience has just been very bad.

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2