My XC90 audio system upgrade
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool My XC90 audio system upgrade

SOME BACKGROUND:
      I’ve taken delivery of our EU-spec’d XC90 Momentum in November ’17 and am actually VERY happy with the car. With one exception - the audio system quality. Our previous car, a 2013 Audi Q7 had a Bose sound system and during the purchase process, I was considering getting the Volvo B&W package but ultimately decided against it. I wished Volvo had a “mid-tier” option like Audi had the Bose (vs the top-end Bang Olufsen system) because I just couldn’t justify spending 3300Eur on audio only. I thought the standard system with a subwoofer option would be good enough for me. It wasn’t.

Quite early after the car came, I was underwhelmed by the sound and kept adjusting and readjusting the EQ settings. The bass and mid-range were not too bad, but to my ears, the system lacked clarity and space in the top end of sound spectrum. I gave myself 3 months to make sure it’s not just a matter of adjusting to a different sound profile. It wasn’t. At that stage, If I could have refitted the B&W option and paid the full price, I probably would’ve. I even asked the dealership here about it - and they told me it’s not possible. Knowing what I know today, I understand why Volvo would say it’s “not possible.” Also, for too many reasons to list here, trading in the car for another (higher-spec’d one) is not an option.

As I’ve upgraded audio systems in my previous cars and like a bit of challenge, I set out on a project - to upgrade the audio system in my XC90 as close to B&W as possible. As I’ve seen a few other folks asking about this here, here is what I’ve done:

STAGE 1 - SPEAKERS:
      There are 19 designated spots for speakers in XC90, with 11 installed in my version. Each door has space for 3 components (tweeter, mid and woofer) which shouldn’t be too hard to replace with aftermarket units, but the tweeters and mids are mounted on the removable door panels. For each, there are 2(3) spots for mounting clips and screws in specific locations so this might be quite challenging to replicate. To keep things simple, I decided to replace the standard speakers with the B&W parts, starting with the front doors. I was curious to see how much this would improve the sound.

Here are comparison photos, the B&W speakers (left) vs the standard ones.

This is a very simple upgrade, as the B&W speakers are exactly the same size, and in the same mounting location. It’s maybe a 30-minute job. The B&W components are substantially heavier, using higher quality membranes and the woofers also quite a bit deeper. I also wanted to reuse the original speakers from the front doors and install in the rear. I later found it’s not doable so easily, as the mid and high locations are not wired in the rear doors (you simply have no connectors to hook the speakers up to.)

The result with the new speakers in the front door? Only very slightly better. I certainly wouldn’t recommend doing this stage on it's own, as you simply don’t get much bang for your buck.

STAGE 2 - AMP:
      My next step was to upgrade the amplifier. I considered going the aftermarket route, but again decided against it. The Sensus head unit is connected to the amp (or as Volvo calls it the AUD) via fiberoptic cables creating a MOST network, and all sound is submitted digitally, as data. In order to “read” this the amp has to not only have a fiberoptic input but also understand the protocol used by Sensus MOST. I’ve done my research and found Volvo used the same concept in previous gen XC90. In those, one could use an aftermarket “converter” that would connect to the MOST network and output analogue sound which could be hooked up to any regular amplifier. Or one could find an aftermarket amp that would connect to fibre MOST directly (i.e. Audison) I enquired directly with Audison and found out they don’t support SPA-based XC90… I couldn’t identify any other viable aftermarket alternative that would work well. So I sourced a spare B&W amp and hooked that up, to see how it would or wouldn’t work with the head unit. And it worked! The head unit obviously recognised the new amp as it even changed the EQ from 5-bar to 9-bar and all controls (on, off etc.) worked fine. Physically, both amps are exactly the same and use the same wiring connectors, so this should’ve been an easy project as well. In fact it’s not, since the non-B&W and B&W cars use very different speaker wiring… Leading me to:

STAGE 3 - WIRING:
      This is not documented anywhere I could find (including VIDA) so hopefully someone else will find it useful. The amp which came with my car is part of what is referred to as “High Performance Audio” in Volvo service manuals. It uses the rightmost connector to connect 2 wires to each of the doors low frequency speakers. In the front doors, also the high and mid frequency speakers are hooked up to these 2 wires (attached at the woofer speaker connector.) The same connector is also used for 2 wires to the subwoofer (in the trunk.) The left (larger) connector has 4 wires attached that connect left and right speakers in the cargo area (in the ceiling.)

As can be seen in the photo, this is quite different in the B&W version.
      The biggest difference are the door speakers - where 2 wires from the right connector still connect the woofers, but 2 different wires connect the mid- and high-tone speakers directly from the amp (from the left connector.) This wiring is part of the main vehicle harness, which is uniquely manufactured in the factory for each car based on its options, and IMHO is the main reason why Volvo would not offer this as a retrofit. This was the most difficult part of my project - running new wires from the amp under the passenger seat to each of the doors and to the dashboard (for the center speaker.) I wanted for the install to be as clean as possible and also wanted to keep the door panels easily removable (as they are meant by Volvo.)

Originally, I wanted to tap into the wiring connectors between the car body and the doors, but was unable to do so for 2 reasons:
      1) Both front and rear door connectors are OEM restricted to Volvo and their manufacturers (Deplhi and TE) are unable to disclose any tech details so I couldn’t identify what pins/sockets need to be added. 2) I could try to get the right ones by trial/error but to fit them into the connectors (at the main body end) would be extremely difficult due to very limited space.
      Because of this, I simply ran the new wires around the connectors, making it the only place where the new wires are actually visible (but still quite stealthy.)

In the front doors, I simply disconnected the mid- and high-tone wiring and connected to the new wire. In the rear doors, I bought new wiring harnesses from Volvo which include the mid- and high-tone wiring (they were non-existent in my car) and connected these to the new wires. While at it, I also installed acoustic foam on the inside of all 4 door panels to make sure there are no squeaks or rattles. Since the plastic trim panels in my rear doors didn’t have openings for the tweeters I replaced them by ones that did (with the nice aluminium B&W grills.)

STAGE 4 - CENTER:
      To complete the system, I also added the “tweeter-on-top” center speaker and the respective speaker grille. As described in the previous section a new wire had to be installed to connect to the amp, but I did so at the same time when working on the front right door (glovebox removed etc.) which made it fairly easy.

THE RESULT:
      It’s night and day. I listen to a wide variety of music, and all of it sounds just so much better than before. How close is to factory-installed B&W? I can’t really say, as I don’t have a reference. My system is missing the right head unit software (and will never get it as Volvo would have to approve) so there are no “premium sound experience” settings (studio, concert hall etc.) but the sound can be tweaked through the balance and EQ well.
      So if you’re considering whether to get the B&W option or not, I wholeheartedly recommend doing so. But if you already have an XC90 that doesn’t have one, and are not happy with just the sound system, you can still upgrade to something much better. And depending on how cheap you can source the speakers/amp (I bought them used) it doesn’t have to be too costly.
      If in the process you get stuck or have questions about my install, let me know and I’ll try to help.

WHAT'S NEXT:
      I love how the system sounds now, however I’d still like more deep bass. The subwoofer in my car is still the non-B&W type and although I can hear it, I’d like it to sound bolder. This might be due to the lower quality original speaker, the software EQ being confused or something else. Instead of replacing it with the B&W part I’m considering using the existing subwoofer output and hooking up an aftermarket mono amp with a subwoofer box, possibly utilising the space under the floor. We’ll see and if I do so I’ll post the results here.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great project! Congrats! I hope I will have time and guts to do this too.

And you are lucky to find used B&W amp. Guess there are a few XC90 totalled...

Rolling, Fusion Red XC60 T8
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Thanks for sharing. I guess it means that both versions of the speakers have the same (or close enough) impedance. I wouldn't have expected that since they likely use different amp (apparently they do from your description).
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Great post.

It seems Volvo drivers have that little mixture of practicality and adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1990 Nissan Skyline
      1998 Suzuki Grand Vitara
      2000 Mitsubishi Magna
      1992 80 Series Landcruiser GLX with 4.2ltr Turbo Diesel and 4 speed Auto - unbelievable tourer on and off road
      2002 Toyota Echo - went from Toyota's biggest to smallest!
      2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara
      2004 Mitsubishi Magna Station Wagon
      1991 80 Series Toyota Landcruiser Turbo Diesel 5 speed manual - terrible purchase...
      2006 Mitsubishi Magna
      2004 Nissan Elgrande Starwagon
      2010 Nissan Skyline - an awesome car
      Current:
      2013 Toyota RAV 4 GLX Cruiser
      2016 Volvo XC90 Inscription

How much did you pay to get the B&W components? I saw in some European countries, Volvo offers a Harman Kardon option, as a mid tier upgrade.

Hmm, when I had my 2016 XC90 with base stereo I was considering going aftermarket as well... and my local audio shop supposedly confirmed Audison had a file (not yet listed on their website) that would work for the 2016+ Volvo XC90.

Ended up trading to a loaded 2018 model with B&W and I agree the sound improvement is quite substantial! I love it!
      2018 Volvo XC-90 R-Design package, Bursting Blue Metallic - grocery hauler and daily driver
      2016 Porsche GT4, Sapphire Blue Metallic - weekend and track toy

Nicely done. Did you take any before / after video clips of the sound difference?
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      Nicely done. Did you take any before / after video clips of the sound difference?
      Cellphone recorded sound can hardly justify the sound quality I guess. You have to listen to it in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by carz View Post
      How much did you pay to get the B&W components? I saw in some European countries, Volvo offers a Harman Kardon option, as a mid tier upgrade.
      The cost of components I got varied, but on average were about 50% of new spare part price...

@Loni

Many thanks for this. It's fantastic news to know that one is able to upgrade the car's standard audio system to this level. As you have read my thread which I created back in December, I am also keen on upgrading. As seen from what you have done, I have also decided to look into an amp upgrade.

Looking at the Volvo Parts Web Store though, I find two Premium Sound System Amplifiers. Would you possibly know what's the difference between the two?

Thanks!

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p.../36012657.html
      https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p.../36003118.html

I really admire the work done here. I would like to replicate the end result, but I can't see any if the pictures in the initial write-up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Photos are dead for me too. Interesting post - but wish OP would just say the total investment $$.
      2016 XC90 Inscription Osmium Grey on Charcoal
      B/W CarPlay Convenience Climate Vision 21"

I was very disappointed that my 2018 XC60 I ordered did not have the B&W system but thought it shouldn't be to hard to go aftermarket.

After reading this it does appear to be a bit of a headache but still possible. This requirement to work around the amp system may prove challenging.

How does one determine if an amp is compatible?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by apei View Post
      I was very disappointed that my 2018 XC60 I ordered did not have the B&W system but thought it shouldn't be to hard to go aftermarket.

After reading this it does appear to be a bit of a headache but still possible. This requirement to work around the amp system may prove challenging.

How does one determine if an amp is compatible?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
      The best way is to route 2 more pairs of speaker wires to each of the doors, and replace the amp with a B&W amp from salvaged cars. This is technically easy just quite a lot labor work.
      Other mods are not going to be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Loni View Post
      SOME BACKGROUND:
      I’ve taken delivery of our EU-spec’d XC90 Momentum in November ’17 and am actually VERY happy with the car. With one exception - the audio system quality. Our previous car, a 2013 Audi Q7 had a Bose sound system and during the purchase process, I was considering getting the Volvo B&W package but ultimately decided against it. I wished Volvo had a “mid-tier” option like Audi had the Bose (vs the top-end Bang Olufsen system) because I just couldn’t justify spending 3300Eur on audio only. I thought the standard system with a subwoofer option would be good enough for me. It wasn’t.

Quite early after the car came, I was underwhelmed by the sound and kept adjusting and readjusting the EQ settings. The bass and mid-range were not too bad, but to my ears, the system lacked clarity and space in the top end of sound spectrum. I gave myself 3 months to make sure it’s not just a matter of adjusting to a different sound profile. It wasn’t. At that stage, If I could have refitted the B&W option and paid the full price, I probably would’ve. I even asked the dealership here about it - and they told me it’s not possible. Knowing what I know today, I understand why Volvo would say it’s “not possible.” Also, for too many reasons to list here, trading in the car for another (higher-spec’d one) is not an option.

As I’ve upgraded audio systems in my previous cars and like a bit of challenge, I set out on a project - to upgrade the audio system in my XC90 as close to B&W as possible. As I’ve seen a few other folks asking about this here, here is what I’ve done:

STAGE 1 - SPEAKERS:
      There are 19 designated spots for speakers in XC90, with 11 installed in my version. Each door has space for 3 components (tweeter, mid and woofer) which shouldn’t be too hard to replace with aftermarket units, but the tweeters and mids are mounted on the removable door panels. For each, there are 2(3) spots for mounting clips and screws in specific locations so this might be quite challenging to replicate. To keep things simple, I decided to replace the standard speakers with the B&W parts, starting with the front doors. I was curious to see how much this would improve the sound.

Here are comparison photos, the B&W speakers (left) vs the standard ones.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2mrgp53.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2ez1d82.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2lx8i8m.jpg

This is a very simple upgrade, as the B&W speakers are exactly the same size, and in the same mounting location. It’s maybe a 30-minute job. The B&W components are substantially heavier, using higher quality membranes and the woofers also quite a bit deeper. I also wanted to reuse the original speakers from the front doors and install in the rear. I later found it’s not doable so easily, as the mid and high locations are not wired in the rear doors (you simply have no connectors to hook the speakers up to.)

The result with the new speakers in the front door? Only very slightly better. I certainly wouldn’t recommend doing this stage on it's own, as you simply don’t get much bang for your buck.

STAGE 2 - AMP:
      My next step was to upgrade the amplifier. I considered going the aftermarket route, but again decided against it. The Sensus head unit is connected to the amp (or as Volvo calls it the AUD) via fiberoptic cables creating a MOST network, and all sound is submitted digitally, as data. In order to “read” this the amp has to not only have a fiberoptic input but also understand the protocol used by Sensus MOST. I’ve done my research and found Volvo used the same concept in previous gen XC90. In those, one could use an aftermarket “converter” that would connect to the MOST network and output analogue sound which could be hooked up to any regular amplifier. Or one could find an aftermarket amp that would connect to fibre MOST directly (i.e. Audison) I enquired directly with Audison and found out they don’t support SPA-based XC90… I couldn’t identify any other viable aftermarket alternative that would work well. So I sourced a spare B&W amp and hooked that up, to see how it would or wouldn’t work with the head unit. And it worked! The head unit obviously recognised the new amp as it even changed the EQ from 5-bar to 9-bar and all controls (on, off etc.) worked fine. Physically, both amps are exactly the same and use the same wiring connectors, so this should’ve been an easy project as well. In fact it’s not, since the non-B&W and B&W cars use very different speaker wiring… Leading me to:

STAGE 3 - WIRING:
      This is not documented anywhere I could find (including VIDA) so hopefully someone else will find it useful. The amp which came with my car is part of what is referred to as “High Performance Audio” in Volvo service manuals. It uses the rightmost connector to connect 2 wires to each of the doors low frequency speakers. In the front doors, also the high and mid frequency speakers are hooked up to these 2 wires (attached at the woofer speaker connector.) The same connector is also used for 2 wires to the subwoofer (in the trunk.) The left (larger) connector has 4 wires attached that connect left and right speakers in the cargo area (in the ceiling.)

http://i67.tinypic.com/2yvm3rn.jpg

As can be seen in the photo, this is quite different in the B&W version.
      The biggest difference are the door speakers - where 2 wires from the right connector still connect the woofers, but 2 different wires connect the mid- and high-tone speakers directly from the amp (from the left connector.) This wiring is part of the main vehicle harness, which is uniquely manufactured in the factory for each car based on its options, and IMHO is the main reason why Volvo would not offer this as a retrofit. This was the most difficult part of my project - running new wires from the amp under the passenger seat to each of the doors and to the dashboard (for the center speaker.) I wanted for the install to be as clean as possible and also wanted to keep the door panels easily removable (as they are meant by Volvo.)

Originally, I wanted to tap into the wiring connectors between the car body and the doors, but was unable to do so for 2 reasons:
      1) Both front and rear door connectors are OEM restricted to Volvo and their manufacturers (Deplhi and TE) are unable to disclose any tech details so I couldn’t identify what pins/sockets need to be added. 2) I could try to get the right ones by trial/error but to fit them into the connectors (at the main body end) would be extremely difficult due to very limited space.
      Because of this, I simply ran the new wires around the connectors, making it the only place where the new wires are actually visible (but still quite stealthy.)

In the front doors, I simply disconnected the mid- and high-tone wiring and connected to the new wire. In the rear doors, I bought new wiring harnesses from Volvo which include the mid- and high-tone wiring (they were non-existent in my car) and connected these to the new wires. While at it, I also installed acoustic foam on the inside of all 4 door panels to make sure there are no squeaks or rattles. Since the plastic trim panels in my rear doors didn’t have openings for the tweeters I replaced them by ones that did (with the nice aluminium B&W grills.)

http://i67.tinypic.com/2dihant.jpg

STAGE 4 - CENTER:
      To complete the system, I also added the “tweeter-on-top” center speaker and the respective speaker grille. As described in the previous section a new wire had to be installed to connect to the amp, but I did so at the same time when working on the front right door (glovebox removed etc.) which made it fairly easy.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2n6gikk.jpg

THE RESULT:
      It’s night and day. I listen to a wide variety of music, and all of it sounds just so much better than before. How close is to factory-installed B&W? I can’t really say, as I don’t have a reference. My system is missing the right head unit software (and will never get it as Volvo would have to approve) so there are no “premium sound experience” settings (studio, concert hall etc.) but the sound can be tweaked through the balance and EQ well.
      So if you’re considering whether to get the B&W option or not, I wholeheartedly recommend doing so. But if you already have an XC90 that doesn’t have one, and are not happy with just the sound system, you can still upgrade to something much better. And depending on how cheap you can source the speakers/amp (I bought them used) it doesn’t have to be too costly.
      If in the process you get stuck or have questions about my install, let me know and I’ll try to help.

WHAT'S NEXT:
      I love how the system sounds now, however I’d still like more deep bass. The subwoofer in my car is still the non-B&W type and although I can hear it, I’d like it to sound bolder. This might be due to the lower quality original speaker, the software EQ being confused or something else. Instead of replacing it with the B&W part I’m considering using the existing subwoofer output and hooking up an aftermarket mono amp with a subwoofer box, possibly utilising the space under the floor. We’ll see and if I do so I’ll post the results here.
      Should be able to see the links now. Not sure why this site could not embed the photos.

Right on, Douflag. Thank you. I'll check when I get home. Work PC is neutered

Hi all, the OP here. I'm not sure what happened to the pics so I've uploaded them with the original text as a blog at https://xc90audio.blogspot.com
      In the meanwhile, I've also added an active subwoofer to my setup and added some details of that as part #5 and a expanded the info by a couple of diagrams as folks have been asking me via PMs.

Thanks Loni!
      It looks like this took a lot of effort. I especially appreciate the connector information. I'm trying to locate a wrecked xc90 to get parts, but they're pretty hard to find, apparently.
      Last edited by sconnors11; 09-25-2018 at 01:06 PM.

Hey loni, do u know if the top is + or - on the harness?

Great story on your effort to duplicate the sound of the B&W system. From my experience in years past when I would try to restore a car, costs of new components could easily hit 4 X the original cost. Not sure this is still the way it is. However, if you were to buy all the components at retail price I would not be surprised to see the resulting costs exceed $6000 or more. The fact you were able to locate so many components as used and you provided the labor (Big dollars) kept the price down. As I have the B&W sound in my car I can concur that it is a great system. Not too sure how to improve on it. This is by far the best sound system I have ever had in a car. Again thanks for your efforts.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Quote Originally Posted by Alexd206 View Post
      Hey loni, do u know if the top is + or - on the harness?
      Not sure, sorry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Loni

I'm following along in your steps here. I found a wrecked 2017 XC90 and got the B&W speakers and amp to install in my car. I changed out the speakers, for the most part. The mids and tweeters in the rear doors need fasteners, so they're not in yet. I wired in the center and the stock subwoofer per the wiring diagram on your blog. When I plug in the amp, the better EQ comes up, but the subwoofer controls aren't there. That's frustrating. I unhooked the 12V battery for a bit, to see if that would help, but no joy.

I went back to the stock amp until I can get the fasteners for the rear doors. I would also like to order the harnesses for the rear. I had a look at the parts website, but it's not clear which harness to get. Do you have the numbers of the harnesses that worked for you?

I need to run the wires to three of the doors while I order parts, but its coming along. The whole point of doing this was to get the subwoofer, so I hope I get that figured out... :-/
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription w/Air Suspension

Two questions I'm still wondering about:

1. Has anyone found speakers that work with the base level Volvo amp but sound better than the original Volvo base level audio speakers?

2. Has anyone tried adding a speaker-level amp to the outputs of the Volvo amp?

The B&W speakers will work with the base level amp and are plug and play. I recommend doing the front door speakers and seeing how you like it. The base system has only woofers in the rear doors, so you could do front and rear doors with 4 woofers, a pair of B&W mids, tweeters. Depending on how you source the speakers it might be worth it. If I were to do this again I would replace all of the door woofers first and retain the stock amp.

The upgrade is highly subjective. Originally I was on a mission to incorporate the OEM sub, but I'm still looking for a way to 'turn it on' in the software. In the mean time, the B&W amp and speakers sound nice.

I'm planning on measuring the speaker level output from the factory B&W amp at some point to see if the low freq information is present, but I have other priorities for the next couple of months.
      Last edited by sconnors11; 11-20-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sconnors11 View Post
      The B&W speakers will work with the base level amp and are plug and play. I recommend doing the front door speakers and seeing how you like it. The base system has only woofers in the rear doors, so you could do front and rear doors with 4 woofers, a pair of B&W mids, tweeters. Depending on how you source the speakers it might be worth it. If I were to do this again I would replace all of the door woofers first and retain the stock amp.

The upgrade is highly subjective. Originally I was on a mission to incorporate the OEM sub, but I'm still looking for a way to 'turn it on' in the software. In the mean time, the B&W amp and speakers sound nice.

I'm planning on measuring the speaker level output from the factory B&W amp at some point to see if the low freq information is present, but I have other priorities for the next couple of months.
      @sconnors11, you mentioned a wrecked XC90 that had the B&W system. If it had that, that means that it had the CD player in the console and the head unit to drive the CD player. Any chance you could hook me up with whoever owns that wreck now so I can see if the parts I want are available from that wreck?

Failing that, how did you find a wrecked XC90? I could keep my eyes out for one around me if I knew how to do that. Thanks!

ktbos,

I looked on Ebay for Volvo amplifiers and asked the sellers if they could source speakers and amplifier as a whole. After a few tries I found what I needed. I don't have the contact information of the wrecker on this computer, but I'd start with going on Volvo parts US and looking up the part number of the CD player you want. Then search , both on Ebay and Google, using the part number. Even if you see a similar part on Ebay, message the seller and ask for what you're looking for.

Loni

I'm following along in your steps here. I found a wrecked 2017 XC90 and got the B&W speakers and amp to install in my car. I changed out the speakers, for the most part. The mids and tweeters in the rear doors need fasteners, so they're not in yet. I wired in the center and the stock subwoofer per the wiring diagram on your blog. When I plug in the amp, the better EQ comes up, but the subwoofer controls aren't there. That's frustrating. I unhooked the 12V battery for a bit, to see if that would help, but no joy.

I went back to the stock amp until I can get the fasteners for the rear doors. I would also like to order the harnesses for the rear. I had a look at the parts website, but it's not clear which harness to get. Do you have the numbers of the harnesses that worked for you?

I need to run the wires to three of the doors while I order parts, but its coming along. The whole point of doing this was to get the subwoofer, so I hope I get that figured out... :-/
      So does the amplifier connectors HP (K502) match B&W (K503) - straight off without modification?

The connectors all fit right in, it looks like all the recent Volvo models use the same amplifier connectors. I picked up an earlier amp from a V60 off of ebay for $40 just to get the connectors ,each with a 10" pigtail from the donnor car. The pigtails were full of usable leads that would plug into the existing connectors when I wired up the new speakers to the new amp.

Have a look at Lonni's post (#17, above) for a link to a page where he shows the wiring differences.

I know the pin-outs for the light green connector:

From left to right, each pair occupy top and bottom spaces.

Left front door mid-Hi
      space
      Left Rear
      Right Rear
      Space
      Left Rear Door mid-Hi
      Space
      Right Rear Door mid-Hi
      Space
      Right front door mid-Hi

At the speaker the pin closest to the release tab goes on top pin of the light green connector.

I'm planning on writing this up, but it may not be for several weeks.
      Last edited by sconnors11; 11-29-2018 at 04:06 PM.

So where would the channel for the front center speaker be found?

It's shown on Loni's page on the dark green connector.

My XC90 audio system upgrade

Yes I have seen it, its the same as mine, a K502 HP amplifier.

I checked and connected the front center speaker to the second pin from the right and it worked great until the car service updated the Sensus, that channel got disabled.

So to workaround this, one plan would be to switch amp to an K503 B&W. Just checking the connector match beteende the amps.

So after comparing again I do see pattern, I think.

The far right socket has the base sound and on HP, the cheap solution is it also feeds the mid-tweet. Both HP and B&W rear speakers get there sound from the mid socket. Last the B&W provides dedicated channels for the mid-tweets from the mid socket.

So a swap should work without new wirering. But to take advantage of the B&W, dedicated wires for the mid-tweets should be drawn.

One pot hole in the conclusion is if B&W base channels are no longer full frekvens?
      Last edited by HitTheRoadJack; 11-29-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Hi,
      the harnesses I ordered were p/n's 31396140 a 31396142. I'm not sure if they fit all door configurations, but I can confirm they even have connectors for the door illumination strips (which my trim doesn't have.)
      I swapped these new harnesses in, plugged in all the speakers, switches etc.
      If I recall correctly, it runs 2 speakers wires from the stock door connector which are then spliced to connect both the mid and high freq speakers. Unfortunately I don't remember the colors, but it wasn't too difficult to figure out.
      Good luck with your install!
      Loni

Loni

Hello! Has anyone managed to figure out the correct part number for the premium amplifier?
      Any advice will be appreciated)

In fact, all the numbers for the parts that are proven to be an upgrade over performance system will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by paveltlc View Post
      Hello! Has anyone managed to figure out the correct part number for the premium amplifier?
      Any advice will be appreciated)
      When investigating this, a friendly dealer told me that the premium amp part numbers differ based on different chassis numbers... suggesting some changes were made as the vehicle evolved over the years.
      The amp I bought was definitely NOT the right part for my chassis which manifested itself by one (out of 3 I think) mounting hole not aligned properly and everything else working fine.
      The part I was able to source was no. 31456717

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast