My XC90 audio system upgrade - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Results 71 to 95 of 95
    1. #71
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      15
      Thanx Loni, looking forward for picture!

      I have experimented with EQ and finally got a decent sound running B&W speakers and org amp. The problem is B&W amp will low pass the 6,5Ľ bass quite low, but running them with the HP they play dull range and this cause major problem with the sound since both bass and mid will play midrange.

      So again, If one will run B&W speakers with org amp you will need to add an passive crossover for both bass and mid.

      BTW: when I tried the B&W amp I couldnt find any DSP settings like concert hall? Where is this supposed to be in the menu?

      Regarding 3row speakers, i have replaced them with B&W but there really not very much sound from org amp at least

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #72
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      15
      Any chance for picture?

      And What about DSP settings, do one Get them with just installing amp or do one need to contact Volvo and hope for help?

    4. #73
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2017
      Posts
      34




      This is the best I could photograph. You can sort of see the (black) wire routed around the door connector and returning back inside the rubber protector sleeve.

      My head unit recognizes the B&W amp and displays a different equalizer automatically, but the other DSP settings (sound stage etc) are missing and I havenít found a way how to add them.

      Hope this helps.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

    6. #74
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Posts
      18
      Quote Originally Posted by Loni View Post




      This is the best I could photograph. You can sort of see the (black) wire routed around the door connector and returning back inside the rubber protector sleeve.

      My head unit recognizes the B&W amp and displays a different equalizer automatically, but the other DSP settings (sound stage etc) are missing and I haven’t found a way how to add them.

      Hope this helps.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

      Hey Loni, what guage wires did u use?

    7. #75
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2017
      Posts
      34
      Quote Originally Posted by Alexd206 View Post
      Hey Loni, what guage wires did u use?
      2x0,5mm2 - I think thatís what is used in the rest of the wiring harnesses (doors etc)


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    8. #76
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Posts
      18
      Quote Originally Posted by Loni View Post
      2x0,5mm2 - I think thatís what is used in the rest of the wiring harnesses (doors etc)


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      how did you remove the front OEM body-to-door connector? The rear doors look easy enough as I pull that blue tab up. I haven't tried with the front yet...did you just pry it open from the top?

    9. #77
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2017
      Posts
      34
      Quote Originally Posted by Alexd206 View Post
      how did you remove the front OEM body-to-door connector? The rear doors look easy enough as I pull that blue tab up. I haven't tried with the front yet...did you just pry it open from the top?
      Thereís a flat black tab on top. Once you pry/pull that upwards, it unlocks the connector which can be pulled apart


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    10. #78
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Posts
      18
      Quote Originally Posted by Loni View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Alexd206 View Post
      how did you remove the front OEM body-to-door connector? The rear doors look easy enough as I pull that blue tab up. I haven't tried with the front yet...did you just pry it open from the top?
      There’s a flat black tab on top. Once you pry/pull that upwards, it unlocks the connector which can be pulled apart


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Thanks Loni! I’m gonna start in a week or two. A few questions:
      I have the rear door harnesses for the speakers...did u just cut the two harnesses that attaches to the tweeters and mids and wired it to the inside correct??
      Did u end up having to cut the front door harness to the highs and mid and connect it to speaker wires u ran inside? Or did you end up buying harnesses for the front as well and doing it as the rear?

      Or did u not need to cut anything, and if that’s the case, I need to know how!! Thanks in advance

    11. #79
      Awaiting Approval
      Join Date
      Apr 2019
      Posts
      1

      Wiring

      Hi Loni. Could you please post a picture of wiring and show what goes where with numbers? Also, how did you connect the new speakers to the amplifier? Did you use/add molex pins? If yes, what size did you use for each connector? Thank you

    12. #80
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2017
      Posts
      34
      Quote Originally Posted by Alexd206 View Post
      Thanks Loni! Iím gonna start in a week or two. A few questions:
      I have the rear door harnesses for the speakers...did u just cut the two harnesses that attaches to the tweeters and mids and wired it to the inside correct??
      Did u end up having to cut the front door harness to the highs and mid and connect it to speaker wires u ran inside? Or did you end up buying harnesses for the front as well and doing it as the rear?

      Or did u not need to cut anything, and if thatís the case, I need to know how!! Thanks in advance

      Hi,
      The new system needs to power each door with 2 separate wires. One for the bass speaker and another one for mid+high.

      As the rear door has no wiring for mid and high tone speakers, I purchased a harness which included them. On this new harness, I had to identify which wires are those that carry the signal, cut them near the door connector and reconnected to the new wire incoming from the amp.
      I think in the rear door, the wiring for the woofers stays intact, I.e. no changes from the standard amp version.

      Hope this helps



      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]



      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    13. #81
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2017
      Posts
      34
      Quote Originally Posted by chicagopasha View Post
      Hi Loni. Could you please post a picture of wiring and show what goes where with numbers? Also, how did you connect the new speakers to the amplifier? Did you use/add molex pins? If yes, what size did you use for each connector? Thank you
      Hi,
      If you look through this thread, there are pics of the tricky part (amp wiring)
      I actually did add pins to the connector that goes into the amp, I just donít have the numbers at hand. I didnít find a way how to tap into the door-body connectors but went around them (see a few posts above)


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    14. #82
      Junior Member frontgear's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Posts
      273
      Quote Originally Posted by Loni View Post
      Hi all, the OP here. I'm not sure what happened to the pics so I've uploaded them with the original text as a blog at https://xc90audio.blogspot.com
      In the meanwhile, I've also added an active subwoofer to my setup and added some details of that as part #5 and a expanded the info by a couple of diagrams as folks have been asking me via PMs.
      When Vertical Scope moved the foray of forums that it owns to a new cloud server hosted by Google, they forced the SSL protocol on all images. What this means is that the http:// in the images has to be changed to https:// (and the image hosting site must also support https) for the images to show up.
      2018 XC90 T6 AWD Osmium Gray/Amber

    15. #83
      Member Papa_Kirlo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2003
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      3,395
      Hello everyone,

      My XC90 is 2016 and I'm trying to figure out the correct B&W amp for it. So far I see a few different part numbers. Can someone clarify if they are interchangeable:


      36003118
      amplifier (AUD).
      FC 21; CH 47776-. FC 21; CH 24353-. Premium Sound System. Variant code: K503. HW 31438323, 3146717, 31456899, 32212447.

      vs
      Part Number: 36012657 This part number will reference the 31456717 you were looking for.
      amplifier (AUD).
      FC 21; CH -330492. Premium Sound System. Variant code: K503. HW 31438323, 31456717, 31456899.

      vs
      36003061


      Many thanks!
      06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

    16. #84
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2017
      Posts
      34
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Kirlo View Post
      Hello everyone,

      My XC90 is 2016 and I'm trying to figure out the correct B&W amp for it. So far I see a few different part numbers. Can someone clarify if they are interchangeable:


      36003118
      amplifier (AUD).
      FC 21; CH 47776-. FC 21; CH 24353-. Premium Sound System. Variant code: K503. HW 31438323, 3146717, 31456899, 32212447.

      vs
      Part Number: 36012657 This part number will reference the 31456717 you were looking for.
      amplifier (AUD).
      FC 21; CH -330492. Premium Sound System. Variant code: K503. HW 31438323, 31456717, 31456899.

      vs
      36003061


      Many thanks!
      AFAIK there are different parts for different chassis numbers, but Iím not sure what the actual differences are (if any)


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    17. #85
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      590
      Quote Originally Posted by Loni View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Kirlo View Post
      Hello everyone,

      My XC90 is 2016 and I'm trying to figure out the correct B&W amp for it. So far I see a few different part numbers. Can someone clarify if they are interchangeable:


      36003118
      amplifier (AUD).
      FC 21; CH 47776-. FC 21; CH 24353-. Premium Sound System. Variant code: K503. HW 31438323, 3146717, 31456899, 32212447.

      vs
      Part Number: 36012657 This part number will reference the 31456717 you were looking for.
      amplifier (AUD).
      FC 21; CH -330492. Premium Sound System. Variant code: K503. HW 31438323, 31456717, 31456899.

      vs
      36003061


      Many thanks!
      AFAIK there are different parts for different chassis numbers, but I’m not sure what the actual differences are (if any)


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Swapped out the amp from my MY19 HK system for a B&W amp (36012657).

      Everything bolted up and connected no problem. Sound-wise, it was louder for the same volume setting. The B&W amp was putting out more bass, so dialed that back in the equalizer and in the Sound Stage app. I did not get the 9 channel equalizer, that others got by swapping in the B&W amp. I instead still have the 5 channel equalizer. Another thing was that the Surround Sound setting in the Sound Stage app stopped working. It was audibly stuck in max surround. You could adjust it on screen, but it didn't change the sound. For now that's fine, because that's how I had it set.

      I'm wondering if the next time the car is in for servicing if the software update is going to recognize the new hardware and upload different software to the car.

    18. #86
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Posts
      18
      On OSD price sheet Harman Kardon premium audio is listed at ~700 USD. This would seem to be a mid tier audio system. Not sure about pricing and packaging for countries other than US though.

    19. #87
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      590
      Quote Originally Posted by Keith22 View Post
      On OSD price sheet Harman Kardon premium audio is listed at ~700 USD. This would seem to be a mid tier audio system. Not sure about pricing and packaging for countries other than US though.
      That's correct, it's the mid-tier option on some models. On others (V90 and V90cc, for US) it's the base option.

      HK - 650w - 12 channel - 14 speaker
      B&W - 1400w - 12 channel - 19 speaker

    20. #88
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,318
      Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      Swapped out the amp from my MY19 HK system for a B&W amp (36012657).

      Everything bolted up and connected no problem. Sound-wise, it was louder for the same volume setting. The B&W amp was putting out more bass, so dialed that back in the equalizer and in the Sound Stage app. I did not get the 9 channel equalizer, that others got by swapping in the B&W amp. I instead still have the 5 channel equalizer. Another thing was that the Surround Sound setting in the Sound Stage app stopped working. It was audibly stuck in max surround. You could adjust it on screen, but it didn't change the sound. For now that's fine, because that's how I had it set.

      I'm wondering if the next time the car is in for servicing if the software update is going to recognize the new hardware and upload different software to the car.
      HK system has 14 vs 19 speakers in B&W.
      Do you see that the HK system use same number of speaker wiring as B&W? In cars with B&W from factory, there are three pairs of speaker wires to all 4 doors, front and rear.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    21. #89
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      590
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      HK system has 14 vs 19 speakers in B&W.
      Do you see that the HK system use same number of speaker wiring as B&W? In cars with B&W from factory, there are three pairs of speaker wires to all 4 doors, front and rear.
      Correct. The difference has been identified a few times now. The missing speakers from the HK system are:

      1. The center dash tweeter (the nautilus tweeter).
      2. The mid-range speakers in the rear doors.
      3. The tweeters that are built into the speakers in the headliner.

      That's it. So #1 and #3 use the same wiring that exists for the HK system. The only unknown right now is whether the rear doors use a completely different door harness from the B&W system just to accommodate the mid-ranges. My suspicion is no, that the connector is there.

      The wiring at the amp is exactly the same between the HK and the B&W systems, so the primary wiring is all there and in place.

      You can follow more of my progress here:

      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...B-amp-W-wiring

    22. #90
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      590
      Another thing that's come up since the swap is that the sound for the front proximity sensors is VERY muted. Rear sensor alerts sound the same as they always have. I'm thinking the B&W amp is looking to send that sound through the center channel tweeter...which for the moment doesn't exist. You can still slightly hear it coming from the front mid-range speakers.

    23. #91
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      Huntington Beach, California
      Posts
      81
      The reason the bass is exaggerated and the proximity signals are underrepresented are related.

      In the front doors he standard amp runs both the 6" woofer and 4" mid/tweeter off the same channel.

      In the front doors the B&W amp runs the 6" woofer off the same channel as the standard system.
      An additional B&W amp channel is used for the 4" mid/tweeter, run off a wire that is not present in the standard system.

      I'd bet you are not getting the higher frequencies meant for the mid tweeters with the B&W amp. You'll need to run a new wire to each door to make it sound right.

      Rear doors also need a new wire. to add higher freq drivers.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription w/Air Suspension

    24. #92
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      590
      Quote Originally Posted by sconnors11 View Post
      The reason the bass is exaggerated and the proximity signals are underrepresented are related.

      In the front doors he standard amp runs both the 6" woofer and 4" mid/tweeter off the same channel.

      In the front doors the B&W amp runs the 6" woofer off the same channel as the standard system.
      An additional B&W amp channel is used for the 4" mid/tweeter, run off a wire that is not present in the standard system.

      I'd bet you are not getting the higher frequencies meant for the mid tweeters with the B&W amp. You'll need to run a new wire to each door to make it sound right.

      Rear doors also need a new wire. to add higher freq drivers.
      That does appear to be true for Base vs. B&W. But HK and B&W share the same wiring at the amp. What appears to be different in the parts fiche are the door harnesses.

      To add to the confusion, both the HK and B&W systems are 12-channel. This makes some sense when you consider which speakers are missing from the HK system. So then the question becomes...how is the HK system managing the channels, vs. the B&W system.

      Here's how I thought the HK and B&W systems were managing channels.

      B&W_HK comparison.jpg

    25. #93
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      590
      Updated info over on my thread in the S/V90 forum.

      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...B-amp-W-wiring

    26. #94
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      590
      I'll try my questions more directly with images to hopefully get a response.

      I'm trying to understand what I'm looking at in the wiring schematics of the MY19 V90 B&W system. The driver's side door has redundant wiring for the mid-range speaker. This wiring is not represented on the passenger's side. It's also not present in the HK system. Is this an error in the schematics, or is there a reason that it would be wired that way? This is all isolated to the door card/panel wiring harness.

      B&W system, with the portion wiring in question circled in red.

      B&W V90 MY19 wiring_v2.jpg

      And for comparison, the HK system, with the same section circled in red.

      HK V90 MY19 wiring_v2.jpg

    27. #95
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      590
      Updates with the swap of the rear headliner speakers:

      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...B-amp-W-wiring

    28. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3