SUCCESS!! Auto Start/Stop Permanently Disable
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SUCCESS!! Auto Start/Stop Permanently Disable

(Original post deleted)

Well I thought I solved this problem by disconnecting the 'support battery' in my V60. It worked great for a day. Today though even with the support battery disconnected, the car uses the Start'Stop for one or two cycles, then shows a message that the Start'Stop system needs service, then disables Start/Stop for the remainder of the trip. When the car is restarted, same thing. So it just "kind of" works, but not a clean solution. So, back to the drawing board..... oh well.
      Last edited by splicesite; 04-05-2018 at 10:33 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

On SPA, we probably don't want any disturbance on the power for accessories, Sensus, etc.

Rolling, Fusion Red XC60 T8
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

I get really annoyed seeing people messing around with these cars' electrical system even if it's a "simple support battery" that "only supports start/stop and electrical functions while the engine stops".

These cars, and their electrical systems, are designed to operate optimally with both the starter and the support batteries working together.

There are other functions that will or could be impacted by disabling the support battery.

Then, you will be running to the Volvo retailer "complaining" that something is not "working right" (after, of course, you have reconnected the support battery). In the meantime, a Volvo tech will be spending his/her time trying to find what's wrong and warranty costs could soar (which, eventually, affect everyone).

Actions like that are totally disingenuous...
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      I get really annoyed seeing people messing around with these cars' electrical system even if it's a "simple support battery" that "only supports start/stop and electrical functions while the engine stops".

These cars, and their electrical systems, are designed to operate optimally with both the starter and the support batteries working together.

There are other functions that will or could be impacted by disabling the support battery.

Then, you will be running to the Volvo retailer "complaining" that something is not "working right" (after, of course, you have reconnected the support battery). In the meantime, a Volvo tech will be spending his/her time trying to find what's wrong and warranty costs could soar (which, eventually, affect everyone).

While I agree with your sentiment 100%, the ASS feature (an ironically appropriate acronym) is a terrible feature that should never have made it to production IMO. I had a V90 loaner for the day and disabled it after the first time it engaged at a stop light. I remember thinking that it could be rather dangerous in a situation where one needed to quickly accelerate from a complete stop to avoid something. The lag in power/engine startup was really noticeable. I would also imagine that it will impact the lifespan of the starter, too.
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers
      2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 - (former) | 2005 V50 T5 AWD (former) | 1995 Yellow 850 T-5R (former)

This was discovered about 2 years ago, lol. Agreed the location of the auto start/stop disable button is in a terrible location. It should be right next to the start/stop button like in most every other car. Then a quick press to disable after starting is a not a big deal.

ssb.jpg
      Last edited by ecoDrive; 04-05-2018 at 08:12 AM.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

I first encountered auto stop/start on a rental Mercedes on a trip to England. After the initial shock (How TF did I just stall an automatic? ), and a couple of days getting used to it I found it totally unobtrusive and was amazed at the gas mileage I got out of the car.
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

Our BMW is totally unobtrusive as well. No vibrations and the engine is running by the time I can move my foot from the brake to the accelerator. I think the issue at hand is Volvo's implementation but I can't speak from first hand experience.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Volvo states that the ONLY function of the support battery is to add power during starter operation when the motor is shut off at a stop sign. 12 volts is 12 volts, and cars have alternators. With the engine running, there is no reason to imagine the extra battery is needed for anything at all. I can't think of a rational basis why your concerns would be warranted. Batteries die, and the car's electrical systems don't somehow get destroyed because of a dead or weak battery. The support battery eventually dies and needs to be replaced anyway. To each his own, but if your Start/Stop was intrusive as the one on my V60, you would be doing anything you could to eliminate it too. I'm sorry to 'annoy you'. Geez, great response to a first forum post. Sorry to try and help.

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      This was discovered about 2 years ago, lol. Agreed the location of the auto start/stop disable button is in a terrible location. It should be right next to the start/stop button like in most every other car. Then a quick press to disable after starting is a not a big deal.
      It's right in front of the shifter. You can press it when you go to put the car in gear just as easily.

Although I myself cannot fathom why anyone would want to disable auto-start/stop, I will defend anyone's right to attempt to do so. The implication that there is some kind of ethical problem with someone modding a vehicle that they own borders on religious zealotry. The mindset reminds me of the guys over in the PA thread who refuse to acknowledge that Volvo screwed up by not providing a warning when PA disengages. The argument seems to be "If Volvo did it that way, it must be right."

People have a legal right (at least in the US) to mod their vehicles. Many may fear to do so, and all should be prepared to accept the consequences of their actions. But to frame it as an ethical issue is just silly.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T5, Denim Blue/Blonde, Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav Pro/Heated Seats/Protection Premiere/ 20" wheels.

Thanks @avanti1. Anyway, it didn't really work as edited above. Still though...

The real issue here, is that Volvo did not make the disengage or "Off" selection in the MyCar options menu a "saved" selection. This should be an easy enhancement update but they won't do it, probably because they are overwhelmed with the myriad of SPA Sensus necessary software "updates", and this classes as a low priority enhancement (versus high priority fixes).

Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      The real issue here, is that Volvo did not make the disengage or "Off" selection in the MyCar options menu a "saved" selection. This should be an easy enhancement update but they won't do it, probably because they are overwhelmed with the myriad of SPA Sensus necessary software "updates", and this classes as a low priority enhancement (versus high priority fixes).

No, they won't do it because they can't.

The cars emissions rating is achieved using Start/Stop. All manufacturers must meet certain emissions ratings. This is a federal requirement. So they are not allowed to make that selection permanent.

Yet, they are still buggy AF
      2019 XC90 T6 Polestar✦ Momentum (Advanced Package; Heated Wheel; 20" Wheels) - Denim Blue/Amber

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post

The cars emissions rating is achieved using Start/Stop. All manufacturers must meet certain emissions ratings. This is a federal requirement. So they are not allowed to make that selection permanent.
      This makes sense, though I still feel it's a marketing gimmick not worth the little fuel and emissions saved. It also invites "workarounds" like those described above, which Yannis is frowning upon.

I don't know, but was it an option for Volvo to equip the cars but conduct the testing with the technology deactivated?

Are you aware of any other manufacture equipping Start/Stop technology but with a saving/permanent deactivation/defeat?
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

My wife's 2015 MINI has a toggle switch to turn auto stop/start on or off. Once it's switched off it stays off and retains that setting when the car is started again.

I sometimes turn it on when I'm driving on roads where there are long waits at traffic lights but I usually leave it off, specially when I'm anywhere near traffic circles.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD Sport Suspension, ipd rear sway bar, 19 inch Bor wheels, Premium Plus, Silver
      Previous: 2003 Passat 1.8T wagon, 1989 MX-6 GT 4WS, 1979 GS-1000E

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post

I believe in addition to better economy they actually get additional "credit" for systems like start stop towards their fuel economy requirements
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue: Climate + BLIS - 19" Polestar Wheels, IPD F&R End Links, IPD Rear Sway Bar, Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod Insert, Elevate/KPAX Exhaust, K&N Filter - What I've Done

Quote Originally Posted by JMarkias View Post
      My wife's 2015 MINI has a toggle switch to turn auto stop/start on or off. Once it's switched off it stays off and retains that setting when the car is started again.

I sometimes turn it on when I'm driving on roads where there are long waits at traffic lights but I usually leave it off, specially when I'm anywhere near traffic circles.
      Not sure Canada's requirements are the same. I'm also not sure if it was required in 2015. The emissions requirements get tougher every year.

Auto Start Stop Last User Mode

Love my 2018 S90 but wish i had more control over Auto Start Stop.

Would Volvo consider reprogramming to allow Last User Mode similar to what BMW is doing?

It's right in front of the shifter. You can press it when you go to put the car in gear just as easily.
      Exactly, this really shouldn’t be made out to be an issue larger than it is. If you don’t want to use it, press the button and turn it off. Simple.
      2018 - V90CC, Maple Brown

Past - 2018 V60CC, Loaded, Saville Grey

Totalled - 2016 V60 RD, Platinum Loaded, Onyx Black

Past - 2013 S60 RD, Platinum, Rebel Blue

2002 V40 Sport, Red

My start/stop hasn't worked in quite awhile. No indication in Sensus as to why. The last time I had the car serviced I told the dealer that it wasn't working but not to fix it. It's been great to not have it working for 1.5 years. Will probably have it diagnosed and repaired this fall to keep it under warranty. That will be a sad day.
      2016 Volvo V60 T5 Platinum
      Onyx Black/Beechwood/Sport Package

Quote Originally Posted by batchelor22 View Post
      Exactly, this really shouldn’t be made out to be an issue larger than it is. If you don’t want to use it, press the button and turn it off. Simple.
      Exactly.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

An alternative is to buy a T8 and enjoy the “instant on” of the electric motor even with a minimal hybrid charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

The car passes emissions test without start/stop, so this claim is incorrect.
      Now if you want to say that the car needs start/stop in order to claim the city fuel economy numbers it claims, that might be true. But I am not aware of a rule that says the manufacturer can't allow start/stop to stay disabled from trip to trip in order to claim fuel economy numbers that are achievable only with start/stop turned on. Unless there is a rule that says they can't claim those number with that option, Volvo could very easily allow us to turn start/stop off and allow it to stay off until we decide to turn it back on again. They just choose not to (for whatever reason).
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

Exactly.
      Luxury is not having to bother.

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post

The car passes emissions test without start/stop, so this claim is incorrect.
      Now if you want to say that the car needs start/stop in order to claim the city fuel economy numbers it claims, that might be true. But I am not aware of a rule that says the manufacturer can't allow start/stop to stay disabled from trip to trip in order to claim fuel economy numbers that are achievable only with start/stop turned on. Unless there is a rule that says they can't claim those number with that option, Volvo could very easily allow us to turn start/stop off and allow it to stay off until we decide to turn it back on again. They just choose not to (for whatever reason).
      I didn't say it won't pass emissions. The emissions rating, which includes fuel economy numbers, is achieved with start/stop.

All manufacturers need to hit a certain number averaged across their whole product line. Many use start stop to hit these.

Exactly.
      Luxury like a Mercedes, which also has the same thing that must be turned off each time you start the car?

I didn't say it won't pass emissions. The emissions rating, which includes fuel economy numbers, is achieved with start/stop.

All manufacturers need to hit a certain number averaged across their whole product line. Many use start stop to hit these.
      Ah, I see now that you are lumping in Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards with "emissions." I thought you were simply talking about tailpipe emissions.

My original point about allowing start/stop to stay disabled from trip to trip still stands, however. Unless there is a rule that start/stop needs to be on every time the car comes on for the fuel economy numbers to be legit, Volvo could allow us to turn it off by default. Are you aware of a rule that says that?
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

I don't actually think of my Volvo as a luxury car. Just a very comfortable, practical and safe car.
      2018 - V90CC, Maple Brown

Past - 2018 V60CC, Loaded, Saville Grey

Totalled - 2016 V60 RD, Platinum Loaded, Onyx Black

Past - 2013 S60 RD, Platinum, Rebel Blue

2002 V40 Sport, Red

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post

Ah, I see now that you are lumping in Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards with "emissions." I thought you were simply talking about tailpipe emissions.

My original point about allowing start/stop to stay disabled from trip to trip still stands, however. Unless there is a rule that start/stop needs to be on every time the car comes on for the fuel economy numbers to be legit, Volvo could allow us to turn it off by default. Are you aware of a rule that says that?
      Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

And what I said still stands. Because the fuel economy numbers are achieved with start stop, it cannot be permanently disabled.

I got this module that connects to OBD 2 port you can see more information about this in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORzxJnNt5uA

Works as a charm. Doesnt WORK for SPA.
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

First, what is SPA?

Second, my wife absolutely HATES the ASS (love the acronym) feature. Kudos for button placement, as it is the last thing she does before putting the car in gear.

Third, very interesting video Pauls90. What was cost of module?

Thanks

PS. Relatives who ride in the car, think there is something wrong when it ASSs. Been that way from day one. Perhaps if the start was smother,
      2015.5 S60 T5, color: Seashell. Our first Volvo. So far a good experience. 0% financing is what got us in the door. Features sealed the deal.

Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

And what I said still stands. Because the fuel economy numbers are achieved with start stop, it cannot be permanently disabled.

So it makes me wonder, why can we roll the windows down and run the A/C? I kinda jest, as I suspect numbers are collected with cars on a dynamometer*.

Had to confirm that - https://jalopnik.com/how-fuel-econom...ent-1716232721

Was surprised A/C is one of the five test cycles.
      2015.5 S60 T5, color: Seashell. Our first Volvo. So far a good experience. 0% financing is what got us in the door. Features sealed the deal.

I swear I read a while back that manufacturers get credited for using certain technologies such as start/stop and other items. I imagine it has something to do with that and essentially putting in features that are meant to be used and allowing easy circumvention by people.

I see running A/C with windows like driving in too low of a gear and cruising at 4-5-6k RPM down the highway. Personal choice and up to the driver if they want to waste gas like that. There are also instances that you might do both of those items
      Last edited by drdonkey; 01-21-2019 at 04:07 PM.
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue: Climate + BLIS - 19" Polestar Wheels, IPD F&R End Links, IPD Rear Sway Bar, Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod Insert, Elevate/KPAX Exhaust, K&N Filter - What I've Done

Just curious... Does auto-stop/start still function when in Sport mode? That might be a solution for the ASS haters, LOL.
      Last edited by Dyno; 01-21-2019 at 03:58 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast