For those of you who lowered your C70.....
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 14 of 14
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Tampa, FL
      Posts
      66

      For those of you who lowered your C70.....

      I am curious if after driving with your C70 lowered how you feel about the trade offs? I am assuming that you have only done 1" - 2" to improve handling....I am not asking about more dramatic lowering for asthetics.... Thanks!

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member Olstyle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Location
      Europe (Germany)
      Posts
      196
      In my experience the C70 is already too low for some speed bumps etc. You could still do harder springs and dampers, anti-roll-bars and so on, but the height is already near the sane limit.
      C70 I 2.0 -> C70 II T5 -> the Moon?

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Tampa, FL
      Posts
      66
      Quote Originally Posted by Olstyle View Post
      In my experience the C70 is already too low for some speed bumps etc. You could still do harder springs and dampers, anti-roll-bars and so on, but the height is already near the sane limit.
      Thanks Ol - I had a similar thought....IIRC I can go with Bilstein B6s and no lowering v. B8s, and still benefit from better handling.....

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member jschinito's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      1,547
      i'll let you know...still waiting on my B8s to arrive.

      i wasn't super keen on lowering either, given the poor road conditions around LA, but the the stock springs seem too soft for the car's weight and they don't make OEM C70 performance springs like they did for the C30. the C30 oem performance springs slower just under 1" and have higher spring rates.

      i've heard conflicting things about H&R/B8 set up. a couple folks here (kova, quickbrick, socalc70) have done it and kova and quickbrick rave about it. i think socalc70 is also on 19" rims which may be just a bit too harsh. a few on the S40 group have found B8 and eibachs too jarring.

      since i'm keeping the car a few more years, i'm willing to experiment. can always go back to the stock springs and FSDs, which are actually decent set up that leans towards the comfort side.

      if you go with the B6 with stock springs, let us know how you like it. always nice to hear about other options!
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak • 18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Stage 1 Tune • GoVo ECU Spacer • Ford e-Focus Mount • Bilstein B8 • H&R Springs • Elevate Rear Swaybar • Volvo Strut Bar • Massive Camber Arms • Centric Rotors • Akebono Pads • Hankook Ventus Evo2 235/40/18 • Mods4cars SmartTop • Llumar/Madico Tint • E46 Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 • LED Int/Ext/Halos • Fryalip • Custom Leather Steering Wheel Wrap • CocoMats Black Sisal • IPD Skidplate • Fumoto F104N Valve

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Tampa, FL
      Posts
      66
      Quote Originally Posted by jschinito View Post
      i'll let you know...still waiting on my B8s to arrive.

      i wasn't super keen on lowering either, given the poor road conditions around LA, but the the stock springs seem too soft for the car's weight and they don't make OEM C70 performance springs like they did for the C30. the C30 oem performance springs slower just under 1" and have higher spring rates.

      i've heard conflicting things about H&R/B8 set up. a couple folks here (kova, quickbrick, socalc70) have done it and kova and quickbrick rave about it. i think socalc70 is also on 19" rims which may be just a bit too harsh. a few on the S40 group have found B8 and eibachs too jarring.

      since i'm keeping the car a few more years, i'm willing to experiment. can always go back to the stock springs and FSDs, which are actually decent set up that leans towards the comfort side.

      if you go with the B6 with stock springs, let us know how you like it. always nice to hear about other options!
      J - thanks for the input....and, yes - there is a conundrum with the springs; if I want something better than stock, then I am heading down the lowering path....definitely thinking H&R v. Eibach for the reason you mention.....

    8. #6
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Austin 'convection oven' TX
      Posts
      1,113
      Quote Originally Posted by Olstyle View Post
      In my experience the C70 is already too low for some speed bumps etc. You could still do harder springs and dampers, anti-roll-bars and so on, but the height is already near the sane limit.
      Our '13 just barely bottoms out entering our garage with two humans in the car...makes it OK but must be close with just the driver. Pretty short and slightly steep garage apron...couldn't back the '11 in with the bike rack hitch on. Low enough for us, I reckon!!!
      Current: '13 C70 Caspian Blue 2017 FIAT 500L Lounge Bianco...until Volvo brings the XC40 to the States!!!(AND the oil and gas business gets better!!!)
      Previous Volvos[/I]: '11 C70 Ice White;
      Polestar ,'10 XC60 T6 Electric Silver; '08 C70, '07 XC70, '04 V70', '04 C70, '01 S40, '80 242 GT '72 145

    9. #7
      Junior Member Socalc70's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Orange county, California
      Posts
      333
      Quote Originally Posted by road trip View Post
      J - thanks for the input....and, yes - there is a conundrum with the springs; if I want something better than stock, then I am heading down the lowering path....definitely thinking H&R v. Eibach for the reason you mention.....
      Just read this now, I’ve been away from the forum for a while. Indeed I have H&R/ Bilstein and 19”. If you want a sporty c70, this will be it but it comes with the downside of harsher ride. At first I loved the cornering and feeling the road a lot more, but after a while it gets old (and maybe so am I) because I’m now contemplating putting the stock 17” back on. If this is a weekend cruiser it’s great, but for a daily commuter it might not be the way to go. That said, this set up with 18” is probably very nice. I should add that I also have the Elevate rear sway bar so stiffness all around.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Tampa, FL
      Posts
      66
      Quote Originally Posted by coachrick View Post
      Our '13 just barely bottoms out entering our garage with two humans in the car...makes it OK but must be close with just the driver. Pretty short and slightly steep garage apron...couldn't back the '11 in with the bike rack hitch on. Low enough for us, I reckon!!!
      Rick - appreciate your feedback!

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Tampa, FL
      Posts
      66
      Quote Originally Posted by Socalc70 View Post
      Just read this now, I’ve been away from the forum for a while. Indeed I have H&R/ Bilstein and 19”. If you want a sporty c70, this will be it but it comes with the downside of harsher ride. At first I loved the cornering and feeling the road a lot more, but after a while it gets old (and maybe so am I) because I’m now contemplating putting the stock 17” back on. If this is a weekend cruiser it’s great, but for a daily commuter it might not be the way to go. That said, this set up with 18” is probably very nice. I should add that I also have the Elevate rear sway bar so stiffness all around.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Thanks SoCal; I am definitely going to do the sway bar....and eventually move to 18"s from 17"....I'd like to get another year or two out of my current tires before making that switch. My C70 is a daily driver, and it is all "city" driving...BUT.....it is only about 15 miles round trip / day (I live close to work). I am thinking compromise; sway bar + Bilstein B6 shocks...no lowering...and new wheels and lower profile tires down the road.....

    12. #10
      Member jschinito's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      1,547
      bilstein B6 or even koni yellows with stock springs is indeed probably a good compromise. and i may yet go that route.

      still waiting for my one more B8 (forget if it's the left or right) to arrive. but when it does and i get it all installed, i'll definitely report back how it rides with 18" midirs on 235/45/18 tires.

      right now, the stock springs are definitely too soft and the FSDs are super comfy but don't quite react as fast as i would like. my mother in law's 2016 honda accord feels sportier to drive to be honest. as it is now, the C70 is super comfy and for most of the C70's target audience it's probably fine. i'm trying to turn it into a sportier version... we'll see if i truly like it. from what i had read sport shocks perform better with sport springs and most sport spring also are shorter. i'm more keen on performance than looks, so minimal drop but firmer springs would be ideal.

      Quote Originally Posted by road trip View Post
      Thanks SoCal; I am definitely going to do the sway bar....and eventually move to 18"s from 17"....I'd like to get another year or two out of my current tires before making that switch. My C70 is a daily driver, and it is all "city" driving...BUT.....it is only about 15 miles round trip / day (I live close to work). I am thinking compromise; sway bar + Bilstein B6 shocks...no lowering...and new wheels and lower profile tires down the road.....
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak • 18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Stage 1 Tune • GoVo ECU Spacer • Ford e-Focus Mount • Bilstein B8 • H&R Springs • Elevate Rear Swaybar • Volvo Strut Bar • Massive Camber Arms • Centric Rotors • Akebono Pads • Hankook Ventus Evo2 235/40/18 • Mods4cars SmartTop • Llumar/Madico Tint • E46 Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 • LED Int/Ext/Halos • Fryalip • Custom Leather Steering Wheel Wrap • CocoMats Black Sisal • IPD Skidplate • Fumoto F104N Valve

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Tampa, FL
      Posts
      66
      Quote Originally Posted by jschinito View Post
      bilstein B6 or even koni yellows with stock springs is indeed probably a good compromise. and i may yet go that route.

      still waiting for my one more B8 (forget if it's the left or right) to arrive. but when it does and i get it all installed, i'll definitely report back how it rides with 18" midirs on 235/45/18 tires.

      right now, the stock springs are definitely too soft and the FSDs are super comfy but don't quite react as fast as i would like. my mother in law's 2016 honda accord feels sportier to drive to be honest. as it is now, the C70 is super comfy and for most of the C70's target audience it's probably fine. i'm trying to turn it into a sportier version... we'll see if i truly like it. from what i had read sport shocks perform better with sport springs and most sport spring also are shorter. i'm more keen on performance than looks, so minimal drop but firmer springs would be ideal.
      ....would be nice to find a better than OEM spring with no lowering

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2013
      Location
      Spokane,Wa
      Posts
      10
      I just did Vogtland springs & Koni yellows on our '08 C70. I also have the Elevate sway bar. IMO the car isn't too low. The ride height is about the same as our '12 S60 r design. The springs & shocks were too soft on the C70 for spirited driving. The handling is much closer to the S60 and feels more composed over bumps - especially mid-corner. I expected more rattles but we haven't noticed any difference.

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Location
      Tampa, FL
      Posts
      66
      Quote Originally Posted by Kstravens View Post
      I just did Vogtland springs & Koni yellows on our '08 C70. I also have the Elevate sway bar. IMO the car isn't too low. The ride height is about the same as our '12 S60 r design. The springs & shocks were too soft on the C70 for spirited driving. The handling is much closer to the S60 and feels more composed over bumps - especially mid-corner. I expected more rattles but we haven't noticed any difference.
      Thanks for the feedback K!

    16. #14
      Member jschinito's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      1,547
      great to know about another options. sounds like the vogtlands might be .1 or .2 inches shorter than the H&R or eibach...so pretty close, but nice to know it doesn't feel too low and the improved handling

      Quote Originally Posted by Kstravens View Post
      I just did Vogtland springs & Koni yellows on our '08 C70. I also have the Elevate sway bar. IMO the car isn't too low. The ride height is about the same as our '12 S60 r design. The springs & shocks were too soft on the C70 for spirited driving. The handling is much closer to the S60 and feels more composed over bumps - especially mid-corner. I expected more rattles but we haven't noticed any difference.
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak • 18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Stage 1 Tune • GoVo ECU Spacer • Ford e-Focus Mount • Bilstein B8 • H&R Springs • Elevate Rear Swaybar • Volvo Strut Bar • Massive Camber Arms • Centric Rotors • Akebono Pads • Hankook Ventus Evo2 235/40/18 • Mods4cars SmartTop • Llumar/Madico Tint • E46 Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 • LED Int/Ext/Halos • Fryalip • Custom Leather Steering Wheel Wrap • CocoMats Black Sisal • IPD Skidplate • Fumoto F104N Valve

    17. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements