Volvo 240 Classic Register Register Update
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Volvo 240 Classic Register Register Update

I have linked to a file that contains an update to the 240 Classic Register. I have been keeping this list for the Volvo Club of America since 2004.

If you own one of the 1600 examples of the 1993 Volvo 240 Classic, please contact me! I will add you to the Register. I can be reached at [email protected] Send me email there and I will send you the
      form to fill out for the register. It should be fun to put together some statistics to see how many miles folks have racked up on these cars, what options were chosen, and any owner modifications that may have been made over the years.

If you know of anyone who owns one of these extremely rare Volvo 240s, please point them in my direction. It has been an extremely slow process to track down these cars.

If you're not sure if you have a Classic, you can start by taking a look at your
      dashboard. Each example had a numbered plaque on the dashboard to the left of the radio. Other telltale signs are body colored trim around the front grill, body colored trim over the headlights, body colored side mirrors, the word "Classic" on the rear emblem, wood accent trim on the dashboard, and multi-X wheels. The classics came with either ruby red or bluegreen paint for exterior colors. All Classics were 1993 models only.

To date we have located 54 cars our of 1600. A small number. Of these 22 owners have officially registered, another 9 owners were contacted but didn't register, and another 23 cars were spotted (mostly on the web). The 22 registed owners represent a very select group!

http://maeurer.us/Classic%20Re...8.pdf

The total mileage of all the cars registed is over 4.7 million miles. That works out to 138,000 miles per car (for cars that we had mileage info for). Wagons out number sedans by almost 2 to 1. The bulk of the cars have automatic transmissions. Fifteen percent have manual transmissions which is more than most people expect. The exterior color is pretty evenly split between Ruby-Red and Blue-Green. However, tan cloth is by far the most common interior color.

Please spread the word. There is no way to find these cars other than by visual identification. There is no correlation of the VIN number to the classic.

Enjoy,
      Ted

V70R -04 MT, 18" IPD Pegs, IPD Tune, IPD DP+Cat back, FMIC, Eibachs, IPD Sways
      XC90 V8-05, 18" Atlantis, Bilsteins (Front), IPD Sways, RSE, Nav
      240 Classic Wagon -93 AT, 17" IPD Nebs, TME Springs, Bilsteins, IPD Sways

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Volvo 240 Classic Register Register Update (irollturbo)

We recently purchased a red '93 240 Wagon from the original owner.

I don't know if it is a classic model. I suspect it my be as it is (1) red and (2) has the cross spoke alloy wheels.

The car is in Texas and as such I haven't seen it yet, so I can't confirm the classic badge, and other trim and interior differences.

If it turns out to be a classic I'll let you know.

Re: Volvo 240 Classic Register Register Update (PoorHouse)

there are only 1599 . number 1600 sits in a museum.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Re: Volvo 240 Classic Register Register Update (PoorHouse)

False alarm.

It's not a Classic.

I have a 240 classic #856 ruby red sedan

Quote Originally Posted by LB4076 View Post
      I have a 240 classic #856 ruby red sedan
      Welcome to Swedespeed, LB.

Send an email to Ted Maeurer...

240Classic at maeurer dot us

...and he will add your Classic to the Register.

http://www.vcoa.org/-resources/registers

Thanks.

George Dill

One for sale in Central Texas: http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2883147256.html

My family owns number 1446 of 1600. Teal Green, Wagon, A/T, 74,000 miles.

Hi Everyone,

I passed the 240 Classic Register to a new owner after several years. (I still have my classic though!) The new register owner is Richard Ramires. Contact information can be found on the VCOA page:

http://www.vcoa.org/-resources/registers

-Ted

I have #1570 (Ruby Red Sedan)

Thanks for creating this! I have #1579, a Ruby Ted Sedan. Still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      We recently purchased a red '93 240 Wagon from the original owner.

I don't know if it is a classic model. I suspect it my be as it is (1) red and (2) has the cross spoke alloy wheels.

The car is in Texas and as such I haven't seen it yet, so I can't confirm the classic badge, and other trim and interior differences.

If it turns out to be a classic I'll let you know.

Only classic colors were the metalic green and marroon 400 each color each sedan each wagon for a total of 1600. However the 601 red was special order on sedans, most likely on wagons, but twice as many wagons were built, Red may lower production than the classic colors. Classics were only made in about the last 4 months of production Ie. 05/93, 04/93, 03/93, 02/93 I am looking for a replacement red sedan. One recently sold for about $15K on Ebay with 26K miles. I prefer 100% original.

140 and 1446

I own numbers 140, a sedan and 1446, a wagon. Both are Teal Green in mint condition, mechanically perfect, no rust and driven daily although the wagon is stored for the winter.

Sam
      Last edited by sjulier; 03-19-2017 at 09:45 AM.

I just purchased a classic red sedan yesterday, however the placard is missing. There is a clock in its place :{ The car has all of the other traits of a classic. The wheels ,badging, grill and mirrors. I am going to see if there is anyway to get the placard for it. if anyone knows how I can do this please let me know.

Cheers!

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DaBus View Post
      I just purchased a classic red sedan yesterday, however the placard is missing. There is a clock in its place :{ The car has all of the other traits of a classic. The wheels ,badging, grill and mirrors. I am going to see if there is anyway to get the placard for it. if anyone knows how I can do this please let me know.

Cheers!

Dennis
      Adding the clock is a common modification in combination with a tachometer in the main cluster. The missing placard is a different problem. I'd bet that someone who sold the car in the past kept it as a souvenir. That placard contained the "classic Number" of your car out of the 1600 produced. There is no other indicator of "classic number" anywhere else on the car. Volvo didn't keep any records as to which "classic number" was assigned to which VIN. They don't even know the VINs of the 1600 240 classics.

You're best option is to track down the former owner(s). You could also check in with the Classic Register at https://vcoa.org/index.php/resource/registers I ran the register a long time ago and have records for a handful of cars so I suppose I could check your VIN against the small pool of information I have. However, that would just tell you the classic number and doesn't get you the placard. Those aren't available, but I suppose you could just make your own. You could also just pick your favorite number, because nobody would ever know the difference (just don't pick my number ). Volvo's poor record keeping made the Classic Register pretty much futile, which is why I moved on. If you call Volvo nobody knows anything - everyone who worked on the car is either dead or retired.

Post 1993 classic edition 240/ register

Howdy, new guy here, but thought I’d mention that I have number 1594/1600 in Tropical green sedan. In excellent “ collector” condition. Just bought it, after having a few 240’s. this is certainly the best one I’ve owned!

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements