"Real" AWD Upgrade - Improved Power Split - Gen 3 Haldex
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
      Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar

We have successfully swapped a 3rd generation Haldex controller into our V50 and completely transformed how it drives. Launching off the line is insane with power going to the rear wheels immediately and the car now behaves like a true AWD vehicle.

While it's still no Evo or STI, this makes the V50 feel very similar to the Focus RS and it is rather easy to kick out the back end and hold a 4 wheel drift.

There is most definitely an improved front/rear power split. You can actually feel the car pushing you like a RWD, rather than predominantly pulling you like a FWD.
      Aside from how the car drives, does anyone know of a cheap or free way to determine the new power split? I'm not looking to spend the money to put this car on a dyno.

The stock gen2 Haldex on our cars is a reactive system with a 70/30 power split.
      The gen3 Haldex on the V8 XC90 (aka "Instant Traction") is a proactive system with a 60/40 power split, so the rear wheels are ready to go almost immediately like a real AWD vehicle.

All first generation V8 XC90s and some 3.2L XC90s use the gen3 Haldex controller.
      Confirmed Haldex part numbers are: 5Wp33504-01, 5Wp22228-02, 5Wp33504-03, or 5Wp22228-04
      Volvo part number is: 36001160

You will need to swap the DEM (differential electronic module), solenoid, and pressure sensor. It takes about 5 minutes and only 2 screws. It's a plug and play upgrade with no software required.

Important Notes:

Just because the back end can kick out so effortlessly does not make this a drift mode like the new RS. Considering the 3 piece drive shaft and tiny rear axles, I would highly discourage attempting to build a drift mode for this car with stock parts.

While this swap is successfully working, with no warning lights or errors, on a 2009 with DSTC and on my 2006 with no traction control. We cannot yet confirm this will flawlessly work on all P1 Volvos.

The real testing begins now, as we determine how this effects the fuel economy and how the rear differential holds up with the added power.

As a full disclaimer, the handling characteristics of the car will be transformed from an easy driving AWD Volvo to a rather insane AWD system. While the car is a lot more fun to drive and actually feels like a sports car, you will have to completely relearn how to drive the car. Throttle control is key, as simply mashing the gas pedal can easily make the back wheels spin.

@MooseTech gets full credit for finding this discovery in the process of successfully building the worlds first AWD C30. More details about that here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...D-in-the-world

Update: I think we have ultimately concluded that three results can come from this mod.

1. It works for instant power to be delivered to the rear wheels, making these cars behave more like an all-time AWD when you're in the twisties. My V50 is still showing the improvement after 1 year and 25k miles.
      2. It works for a few drive cycles and then the car disables awd until the original module is replaced.
      3. It doesn't work at all.

There does not appear to be any indication on why it will or will not work depending on model, year, options, etc. The only way to find out if it works for you is to test it yourself.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great writeup! Can't wait to see more reactions

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wow sounds great

This is the most interesting post I have seen in a long time. Definitely interested in this and looking forward to what you learn as you continue to explore this new upgrade. Thanks for sharing. I am tempted to buy this part now.
      07' V50 T5 AWD M66 Barents Blue - Shark Tune, DO88 intercooler, ECU Spacer, Elevate Torque Mount & rear sway bar, Heico springs and shocks (aka Bilstein Shocks and Eibach Springs) SPC Rear Camber Arms- 225/45-17 Nokian - Supersports 45MM offset.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by aspringsteel View Post
      This is the most interesting post I have seen in a long time. Definitely interested in this and looking forward to what you learn as you continue to explore this new upgrade. Thanks for sharing. I am tempted to buy this part now.
      Junkyard and 20 minutes total of your time. Probably $20 if you play your cards right

Insane! Totally different car for $20 bucks! I am getting giddy.
      07' V50 T5 AWD M66 Barents Blue - Shark Tune, DO88 intercooler, ECU Spacer, Elevate Torque Mount & rear sway bar, Heico springs and shocks (aka Bilstein Shocks and Eibach Springs) SPC Rear Camber Arms- 225/45-17 Nokian - Supersports 45MM offset.

Seems like I could use this same plan to upgrade my 2004 V70R to the next Gen Haldex, eh?
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 2004 V70R MT 68k

So just one part or am I going to have to look for a bunch of pieces and sensors?
      2007 V50 T5 AWD M66 ~ Custom machined weighted shiftknob powdercoated wrinkle polstarblue, Custom pod filter intake, Muffler delete, 18" Pegasus IPD Reps, EBC redstuff pads, EBC blank rotors.

This is awesome! This may be one of the next must do upgrades

Looking at wikipedia. The first gen xc90 is from 2002-2014. Although it says the engine was first offered in 2005. Quite the range of years to look for. Not sure how common the v8 is in the xc90.

GREAT find. The next question is what's the difference to stock unit. If there's little (or no?) difference in solenoid and pressure sensor, it might be possible to clone the software from an XC90 instant traction unit. Reflashing possibility would be a massive bang-for-the-buck game changer.

Food for thought. I already started to browse through some wreckers' inventories to find a 36001160. They seem to be a couple of grand brand new.

Ok the answer all of the above...

Watch the video Michael posted to show exactly how to do this. So simple...just watch the video.

I do believe this is an option on the 04 R but that hasnt been tested. Go for it.

As for the differences and reprogramming to have the XC90 instatrac...guys, lets not overthink the **** out of this. The DEM takes its own software and is a plug and play module. Meaning you can swap it into another like vehicle and itll work. The later cars have an 80 psi sensor and software instead of a 40 psi. This is where we are seeing a benefit.

The xc90 was from 03-14 in the states but the only modules that work are the v8 xc90 and 3.2l 08-14

Lets also not destroy the market on these. Go find a truck and take the module off. These junkyards dont know wtf that thing is so you can get them cheaper. If you search for the part number or buy online, surely your cost will be much greater.

Have fun ladies and gents.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseTech View Post
      Probably $20 if you play your cards right
      I paid $180 for my unit. I only see one available on ebay for a little over $200.
      Specialty Volvo yards know what this part is... I found a few online selling for $400-$500.
      New is about $2500, so definitely go the junk yard route!

Quote Originally Posted by Jirv0id View Post
      So just one part or am I going to have to look for a bunch of pieces and sensors?
      The three main parts are shown in the video: the differential electronic module, the solenoid, and the sensor. Most modules being sold used are listed with everything you would need.

Quote Originally Posted by wernerj18 View Post
      Looking at wikipedia. The first gen xc90 is from 2002-2014. Although it says the engine was first offered in 2005. Quite the range of years to look for. Not sure how common the v8 is in the xc90.
      I spent a full day trying to figure this out and cross referencing part numbers between all AWD Volvos from the last decade. I counted 10 different Haldex modules used between the S40/V50, S60, XC70, and XC90.

36001160 is the DEM for 2007-2010 3.2L XC90s and 2005-2010 4.4L (V8) XC90s. 36001159 is the DEM for 2011-2014 3.2L XC90s and 2011 4.4L XC90s.
      Of course, the unit itself does not have the Volvo part number on it. The Haldex part number 5Wp33504-01 is what you're looking for on the side of the module and also generates more results on an internet search.

I found a 2008 3.2L XC90 for my donor.

Quote Originally Posted by hq_ View Post
      GREAT find. The next question is what's the difference to stock unit. If there's little (or no?) difference in solenoid and pressure sensor, it might be possible to clone the software from an XC90 instant traction unit. Reflashing possibility would be a massive bang-for-the-buck game changer.
      I'm not sure what the differences are, but there are differences. The Gen3 solenoid and sensor had different markings and numbers on them and the connector was also black on my Gen2 but white on the Gen3.
      Honestly, with as messy as tuning can get with these cars, I wouldn't attempt at replicating this with software. Especially when there's a proven plug and play hardware solution.

These junkyards dont know wtf that thing is so you can get them cheaper. If you search for the part number or buy online, surely your cost will be much greater.

If you tell the junk yard check out it's an oil level sensor, they might even let you have it for less!
      The yard I went to obviously knew they had something, but I figured $180 was cheap enough for testing this out.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post

If you tell the junk yard check out it's an oil level sensor, they might even let you have it for less!
      The yard I went to obviously knew they had something, but I figured $180 was cheap enough for testing this out.
      Or a headlight module. Get two and say its both sides. Lol. They will have no clue.

Does it have to be from the xc90 because Iím seeing the xc70s also used the same unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 a tribute to Heico's ODIN HS4

Quote Originally Posted by thefisch33 View Post
      Does it have to be from the xc90 because Iím seeing the xc70s also used the same unit
      I think so... Referencing 4 major parts websites, 36001160 and 36001159 are only listed as compatible with the 3.2L and 4.4L XC90.

Ok, and weíre you re-using the s40 solenoid and pressure sensor or you need all 3 from the xc90?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 a tribute to Heico's ODIN HS4

Quote Originally Posted by thefisch33 View Post
      Ok, and weíre you re-using the s40 solenoid and pressure sensor or you need all 3 from the xc90?
      You need all three from the XC90.

You need all three from the XC90.
      Its good to have someone to field questions. Very much appreciate your help and expertise Michael!

Gen 3 haldex came on all P2 volvos starting in 2006, and P3s in 07, Iím not sure about P1s.

Did you put a stock gen 3 system in your car, or a modified one?

The stock gen 3 haldex is not 60/40 split from a stop. It can also only send 50% max power to the rear wheels. It is pre charged though, and pressure builds with throttle input and steering angle. In slippery conditions it will allow 1/17th of a wheel spin before it engages the clutch as well.

As far as just cruising down the road, it is mainly a FWD system.
      2002 S60 T5M
      235K miles
      Black Sapphire Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
      Gen 3 haldex came on all P2 volvos starting in 2006, and P3s in 07, Iím not sure about P1s.

Did you put a stock gen 3 system in your car, or a modified one?

The stock gen 3 haldex is not 60/40 split from a stop. It can also only send 50% max power to the rear wheels. It is pre charged though, and pressure builds with throttle input and steering angle. In slippery conditions it will allow 1/17th of a wheel spin before it engages the clutch as well.

As far as just cruising down the road, it is mainly a FWD system.
      P1s only came with the Gen 2. While other models had the Gen 3, it specifically requires the Haldex controller listed above for this to function the way it does. As mentioned, the controller was only available in certain variants of the XC90.

The only thing I swapped out was the DEM (differential electronic module, aka Haldex controller) with the compatible solenoid and pressure sensor.

I can't confirm what power split the V50 is putting down, but it's a lot more aggressive and rear biased than the stock 70/30. If I dump the clutch, the back tires will chirp and lay rubber if I stay on it. Though I am running on pretty worn out all seasons right now. I'll probably swap the Federal racing tires off the C30 to see how it behaves.

The joy of a Haldex system is that you are just cruising in FWD. But now, a quick blip of the throttle and the car takes off like a real AWD would be expected to. I'm loving it with the constant turns and mountain roads in my area. It can actually get kind of squirrelly if you're not careful... I'm really curious about swapping in an AWD LSD, but I'll probably save that for my C30 AWD swap. The V50 is still just a commuter and grocery getter.

P1s only came with the Gen 2. While other models had the Gen 3, it specifically requires the Haldex controller listed above for this to function the way it does. As mentioned, the controller was only available in certain variants of the XC90.

The only thing I swapped out was the DEM (differential electronic module, aka Haldex controller) with the compatible solenoid and pressure sensor.

I can't confirm what power split the V50 is putting down, but it's a lot more aggressive and rear biased than the stock 70/30. If I dump the clutch, the back tires will chirp and lay rubber if I stay on it. Though I am running on pretty worn out all seasons right now. I'll probably swap the Federal racing tires off the C30 to see how it behaves.

The joy of a Haldex system is that you are just cruising in FWD. But now, a quick blip of the throttle and the car takes off like a real AWD would be expected to. I'm loving it with the constant turns and mountain roads in my area. It can actually get kind of squirrelly if you're not careful... I'm really curious about swapping in an AWD LSD, but I'll probably save that for my C30 AWD swap. The V50 is still just a commuter and grocery getter.
      Quaife has a front and rear LSD. Polestar C30 had these so it is a great addition while you are in there spending coin

This is very interesting. I was pretty certain the P1 already had the Gen3 setup, (hence my plastering comically large "Instant Traction" graphics on my doors, lol). There are quite a few press releases that say as much (although I've not seen official Volvo documentation).

I'm wondering if the marked difference experienced with the use of XC90 modules is just the different software tuning for the XC90 Chassis (a much heavier vehicle with different weight distribution, etc). Even if they use the same technology, Volvo would obviously program the Haldex differently to suit the much different chassis. Notably, the XC90 able to handle more power transfer to the rear without getting wild.

I definitely think it's an interesting upgrade. I'm just not sure it's specifically a Gen2 > Gen3 difference without doing a bit more research.

Very nice job, and thank you for sharing with the forum.
      Passion Red 2006 V50 T5 AWD M66 - Climate, Premium, and Dynamic packages
      Laser Red 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, D2 A8 Brakes Front & Rear

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
      This is very interesting. I was pretty certain the P1 already had the Gen3 setup, (hence my plastering comically large "Instant Traction" graphics on my doors, lol). There are quite a few press releases that say as much (although I've not seen official Volvo documentation).

I'm wondering if the marked difference experienced with the use of XC90 modules is just the different software tuning for the XC90 Chassis (a much heavier vehicle with different weight distribution, etc). Even if they use the same technology, Volvo would obviously program the Haldex differently to suit the much different chassis. Notably, the XC90 able to handle more power transfer to the rear without getting wild.

I definitely think it's an interesting upgrade. I'm just not sure it's specifically a Gen2 > Gen3 difference without doing a bit more research.

Very nice job, and thank you for sharing with the forum.
      You are thinking too much. Be a sheep in this case🤪🤪🤪

You are thinking too much. Be a sheep in this case🤪🤪🤪

LOL

Someone else said it above, but it bears repeating. Thank you guys so much for sharing this with us and letting us batter you with inquiries. This is a really cool breakthrough (the whole thing)!
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 2004 V70R MT 68k

How did you determine that the torque split is 70/30 in the gen 2 haldex? Volvo states 95/5 torque split until the front wheels slip, then it goes to 50/50.
      2002 S60 T5M
      235K miles
      Black Sapphire Metallic

How did you determine that the torque split is 70/30 in the gen 2 haldex? Volvo states 95/5 torque split until the front wheels slip, then it goes to 50/50.
      I have only ever heard 70/30 for the P1 Volvos. Where are you seeing differently?

I have only ever heard 70/30 for the P1 Volvos. Where are you seeing differently?
      Volvo states the 95/5 torque split. Generally all haldex vehicles including VW, Audiís etc are mainly fwd until they front wheels slip, or in the case of gen 3 haldex, some power is sent to the back with throttle input. There are a few exceptions, like the polestar for example.

Pretty much any Volvo advertisement for the gen 3 cars state this. This video kind of explains how the system works as well
      https://youtu.be/re6oXgSuF5s
      2002 S60 T5M
      235K miles
      Black Sapphire Metallic

Volvo states the 95/5 torque split. Generally all haldex vehicles including VW, Audiís etc are mainly fwd until they front wheels slip, or in the case of gen 3 haldex, some power is sent to the back with throttle input. There are a few exceptions, like the polestar for example.

Pretty much any Volvo advertisement for the gen 3 cars state this. This video kind of explains how the system works as well
      https://youtu.be/re6oXgSuF5s
      Well yeah... That's how a Haldex works. It's basically FWD until it detects slip. But P1s do not have a 50/50 split when the front starts to slip. They have a 70/30 split after a reactive delay of detecting the front wheels slipping.

By swapping the Gen 3 controller, the haldex is proactive, so the delay is almost non-existent and the power split is obviously more than a 70/30 front to rear split. What exactly the new split is, I cannot say. Quickly hit the gas pedal with a Gen 3 controller installed and the rear wheels are immediately getting power.

You're never going to get a true 50/50 AWD like you get with Subaru, but this is as close as you're going to (easily) get with a Haldex on a P1.

Holy cow you can really feel this thing push now!!!

With much guidance from MNIWT, I was able to track down a local V8 XC90 at a local salvage yard which miraculously had a haldex controller still on it. We werent sure if the controller I found was the gen3 controller, but having just driven the car around..... I can say with complete certainty that this part definitely is a gen 3.

Part number is 5WP22228-02.
      From a 2005 V8 XC90.
      Total price out the door: $11.51

The lady asked what it was and I told her what it was, and she ended up charging me for an oil level sensor

Thanks so much Michael for the advice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by boulderc30; 04-30-2018 at 02:57 PM.
      2009 Cosmic White/Java Brown C30 (@BoulderC30)
      2005 Passion Red V50 (@BoulderV50)

Quote Originally Posted by boulderc30 View Post
      Holy cow you can really feel this thing push now!!!

With much guidance from MNIWT, I was able to track down a local V8 XC90 at a local salvage yard which miraculously had a haldex controller still on it. We werent sure if the controller I found was the gen3 controller, but having just driven the car around..... I can say with complete certainty that this part definitely is a gen 3.

Part number is 5WP22228-02.
      From a 2005 V8 XC90.
      Total price out the door: $11.51

The lady asked what it was and I told her what it was, and she ended up charging me for an oil level sensor

Thanks so much Michael for the advice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nice! Love it when people leave their keyboards and go do something

So the controller looks the same, but has different manufacturer part number than the original post. Will they work the same? Any opinions here?

I don't believe the spilt amount changes at all by adding just a DEM. I have a complete GEN 3 setup for my model year from the factory and although it is instantaneous response there is nothing more than a tire chirp.

IIRC the main difference between GEN II and GEN III is the fact the pump is cycling pressure through the system in a recycle fashion in a GEN III vs. in GEN II the pump is not on at all times and is waiting for wheel slip so the delay is from the pressure building to allow clutch pack engagement.

I can't image changing the solenoid which would allow the pump to run and recycle the fluid until the valve allows the clutch to engage would be able to change the amount of distribution but it would should wake up a GEN II by only allow 1/17 slippage vs the stock 90 degrees before engagement. I would thing without valve changes, gearing, accumulator, pump and possibly clutch pack changes that the over distribution percentage would be impossible to change as the pressure that the system can build and the amount of force the clutch can handle are the same.

Could be wrong as maybe the way the DEM communicates to the rest of the car controls the front/rear distribution. No documentation from Haldex anymore since Borg Warner bought that division out and they don't make anything available. Would be interesting to see what DEMODEX engineers say about this?

Enjoy whatever it is that your experiencing though it is positive news for those with a GEN 2 system!
      2009 V50 T5 AWD GT: Work in progress (1) (2) (3)

Quote Originally Posted by slrising View Post
      I don't believe the spilt amount changes at all by adding just a DEM. I have a complete GEN 3 setup for my model year from the factory and although it is instantaneous response there is nothing more than a tire chirp.

IIRC the main difference between GEN II and GEN III is the fact the pump is cycling pressure through the system in a recycle fashion in a GEN III vs. in GEN II the pump is not on at all times and is waiting for wheel slip so the delay is from the pressure building to allow clutch pack engagement.

I can't image changing the solenoid which would allow the pump to run and recycle the fluid until the valve allows the clutch to engage would be able to change the amount of distribution but it would should wake up a GEN II by only allow 1/17 slippage vs the stock 90 degrees before engagement. I would thing without valve changes, gearing, accumulator, pump and possibly clutch pack changes that the over distribution percentage would be impossible to change as the pressure that the system can build and the amount of force the clutch can handle are the same.

Could be wrong as maybe the way the DEM communicates to the rest of the car controls the front/rear distribution. No documentation from Haldex anymore since Borg Warner bought that division out and they don't make anything available. Would be interesting to see what DEMODEX engineers say about this?

Enjoy whatever it is that your experiencing though it is positive news for those with a GEN 2 system!
      The swap also involves the updated solenoid attached to the DEM at 80psi vs 40psi (I believe this is the spec) which engages the system quicker

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
      06 S40 2.4i

Quote Originally Posted by slrising View Post

Have you added a gen 3 to a gen 2 car? Because if we are still talking theory, i'm not interested.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast