SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

"Real" AWD Upgrade - Improved Power Split - Gen 3 Haldex

149K views 574 replies 90 participants last post by  Will Robinson 
#1 · (Edited)
We have successfully swapped a 3rd generation Haldex controller into our V50 and completely transformed how it drives. Launching off the line is insane with power going to the rear wheels immediately and the car now behaves like a true AWD vehicle.

While it's still no Evo or STI, this makes the V50 feel very similar to the Focus RS and it is rather easy to kick out the back end and hold a 4 wheel drift.

There is most definitely an improved front/rear power split. You can actually feel the car pushing you like a RWD, rather than predominantly pulling you like a FWD.
Aside from how the car drives, does anyone know of a cheap or free way to determine the new power split? I'm not looking to spend the money to put this car on a dyno.

The stock gen2 Haldex on our cars is a reactive system with a 70/30 power split.
The gen3 Haldex on the V8 XC90 (aka "Instant Traction") is a proactive system with a 60/40 power split, so the rear wheels are ready to go almost immediately like a real AWD vehicle.

All first generation V8 XC90s and some 3.2L XC90s use the gen3 Haldex controller.
Confirmed Haldex part numbers are: 5Wp33504-01, 5Wp22228-02, 5Wp33504-03, or 5Wp22228-04
Volvo part number is: 36001160

You will need to swap the DEM (differential electronic module), solenoid, and pressure sensor. It takes about 5 minutes and only 2 screws. It's a plug and play upgrade with no software required.

Important Notes:

Just because the back end can kick out so effortlessly does not make this a drift mode like the new RS. Considering the 3 piece drive shaft and tiny rear axles, I would highly discourage attempting to build a drift mode for this car with stock parts.

While this swap is successfully working, with no warning lights or errors, on a 2009 with DSTC and on my 2006 with no traction control. We cannot yet confirm this will flawlessly work on all P1 Volvos.

The real testing begins now, as we determine how this effects the fuel economy and how the rear differential holds up with the added power.

As a full disclaimer, the handling characteristics of the car will be transformed from an easy driving AWD Volvo to a rather insane AWD system. While the car is a lot more fun to drive and actually feels like a sports car, you will have to completely relearn how to drive the car. Throttle control is key, as simply mashing the gas pedal can easily make the back wheels spin.

@MooseTech gets full credit for finding this discovery in the process of successfully building the worlds first AWD C30. More details about that here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...legal-and-consumer-owned-C30-AWD-in-the-world

Update: I think we have ultimately concluded that three results can come from this mod.

1. It works for instant power to be delivered to the rear wheels, making these cars behave more like an all-time AWD when you're in the twisties. My V50 is still showing the improvement after 1 year and 25k miles.
2. It works for a few drive cycles and then the car disables awd until the original module is replaced.
3. It doesn't work at all.

There does not appear to be any indication on why it will or will not work depending on model, year, options, etc. The only way to find out if it works for you is to test it yourself.

See less See more
#3 ·
wow sounds great

This is the most interesting post I have seen in a long time. Definitely interested in this and looking forward to what you learn as you continue to explore this new upgrade. Thanks for sharing. I am tempted to buy this part now.

#4 ·
This is the most interesting post I have seen in a long time. Definitely interested in this and looking forward to what you learn as you continue to explore this new upgrade. Thanks for sharing. I am tempted to buy this part now.
Junkyard and 20 minutes total of your time. Probably $20 if you play your cards right

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Insane! Totally different car for $20 bucks! I am getting giddy.

#6 ·
Seems like I could use this same plan to upgrade my 2004 V70R to the next Gen Haldex, eh?

#7 ·
So just one part or am I going to have to look for a bunch of pieces and sensors?

#10 ·
GREAT find. The next question is what's the difference to stock unit. If there's little (or no?) difference in solenoid and pressure sensor, it might be possible to clone the software from an XC90 instant traction unit. Reflashing possibility would be a massive bang-for-the-buck game changer.

Food for thought. I already started to browse through some wreckers' inventories to find a 36001160. They seem to be a couple of grand brand new.

#11 ·
Ok the answer all of the above...

Watch the video Michael posted to show exactly how to do this. So simple...just watch the video.

I do believe this is an option on the 04 R but that hasnt been tested. Go for it.

As for the differences and reprogramming to have the XC90 instatrac...guys, lets not overthink the **** out of this. The DEM takes its own software and is a plug and play module. Meaning you can swap it into another like vehicle and itll work. The later cars have an 80 psi sensor and software instead of a 40 psi. This is where we are seeing a benefit.

The xc90 was from 03-14 in the states but the only modules that work are the v8 xc90 and 3.2l 08-14

Lets also not destroy the market on these. Go find a truck and take the module off. These junkyards dont know wtf that thing is so you can get them cheaper. If you search for the part number or buy online, surely your cost will be much greater.

Have fun ladies and gents.

#13 ·
These junkyards dont know wtf that thing is so you can get them cheaper. If you search for the part number or buy online, surely your cost will be much greater.
:thumbup:
If you tell the junk yard check out it's an oil level sensor, they might even let you have it for less!
The yard I went to obviously knew they had something, but I figured $180 was cheap enough for testing this out.

#16 ·
Does it have to be from the xc90 because I'm seeing the xc70s also used the same unit
I think so... Referencing 4 major parts websites, 36001160 and 36001159 are only listed as compatible with the 3.2L and 4.4L XC90.

#18 ·
Ok, and we're you re-using the s40 solenoid and pressure sensor or you need all 3 from the xc90?
You need all three from the XC90.

#20 ·
Gen 3 haldex came on all P2 volvos starting in 2006, and P3s in 07, I’m not sure about P1s.

Did you put a stock gen 3 system in your car, or a modified one?

The stock gen 3 haldex is not 60/40 split from a stop. It can also only send 50% max power to the rear wheels. It is pre charged though, and pressure builds with throttle input and steering angle. In slippery conditions it will allow 1/17th of a wheel spin before it engages the clutch as well.

As far as just cruising down the road, it is mainly a FWD system.

#21 ·
Gen 3 haldex came on all P2 volvos starting in 2006, and P3s in 07, I'm not sure about P1s.

Did you put a stock gen 3 system in your car, or a modified one?

The stock gen 3 haldex is not 60/40 split from a stop. It can also only send 50% max power to the rear wheels. It is pre charged though, and pressure builds with throttle input and steering angle. In slippery conditions it will allow 1/17th of a wheel spin before it engages the clutch as well.

As far as just cruising down the road, it is mainly a FWD system.
P1s only came with the Gen 2. While other models had the Gen 3, it specifically requires the Haldex controller listed above for this to function the way it does. As mentioned, the controller was only available in certain variants of the XC90.

The only thing I swapped out was the DEM (differential electronic module, aka Haldex controller) with the compatible solenoid and pressure sensor.

I can't confirm what power split the V50 is putting down, but it's a lot more aggressive and rear biased than the stock 70/30. If I dump the clutch, the back tires will chirp and lay rubber if I stay on it. Though I am running on pretty worn out all seasons right now. I'll probably swap the Federal racing tires off the C30 to see how it behaves.

The joy of a Haldex system is that you are just cruising in FWD. But now, a quick blip of the throttle and the car takes off like a real AWD would be expected to. I'm loving it with the constant turns and mountain roads in my area. It can actually get kind of squirrelly if you're not careful... I'm really curious about swapping in an AWD LSD, but I'll probably save that for my C30 AWD swap. The V50 is still just a commuter and grocery getter.

#23 ·
This is very interesting. I was pretty certain the P1 already had the Gen3 setup, (hence my plastering comically large "Instant Traction" graphics on my doors, lol). There are quite a few press releases that say as much (although I've not seen official Volvo documentation).

I'm wondering if the marked difference experienced with the use of XC90 modules is just the different software tuning for the XC90 Chassis (a much heavier vehicle with different weight distribution, etc). Even if they use the same technology, Volvo would obviously program the Haldex differently to suit the much different chassis. Notably, the XC90 able to handle more power transfer to the rear without getting wild.

I definitely think it's an interesting upgrade. I'm just not sure it's specifically a Gen2 > Gen3 difference without doing a bit more research.

Very nice job, and thank you for sharing with the forum. :thumbup:

#24 ·
This is very interesting. I was pretty certain the P1 already had the Gen3 setup, (hence my plastering comically large "Instant Traction" graphics on my doors, lol). There are quite a few press releases that say as much (although I've not seen official Volvo documentation).

I'm wondering if the marked difference experienced with the use of XC90 modules is just the different software tuning for the XC90 Chassis (a much heavier vehicle with different weight distribution, etc). Even if they use the same technology, Volvo would obviously program the Haldex differently to suit the much different chassis. Notably, the XC90 able to handle more power transfer to the rear without getting wild.

I definitely think it's an interesting upgrade. I'm just not sure it's specifically a Gen2 > Gen3 difference without doing a bit more research.

Very nice job, and thank you for sharing with the forum. [emoji106]
You are thinking too much. Be a sheep in this case???

#27 ·
I have only ever heard 70/30 for the P1 Volvos. Where are you seeing differently?

#30 · (Edited)
"Real" AWD Upgrade - Improved Power Split - Gen 3 Haldex

Holy cow you can really feel this thing push now!!!

With much guidance from MNIWT, I was able to track down a local V8 XC90 at a local salvage yard which miraculously had a haldex controller still on it. We werent sure if the controller I found was the gen3 controller, but having just driven the car around..... I can say with complete certainty that this part definitely is a gen 3.

Part number is 5WP22228-02.
From a 2005 V8 XC90.
Total price out the door: $11.51

The lady asked what it was and I told her what it was, and she ended up charging me for an oil level sensor

Thanks so much Michael for the advice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#31 ·
Holy cow you can really feel this thing push now!!!

With much guidance from MNIWT, I was able to track down a local V8 XC90 at a local salvage yard which miraculously had a haldex controller still on it. We werent sure if the controller I found was the gen3 controller, but having just driven the car around..... I can say with complete certainty that this part definitely is a gen 3.

Part number is 5WP22228-02.
From a 2005 V8 XC90.
Total price out the door: $11.51

The lady asked what it was and I told her what it was, and she ended up charging me for an oil level sensor

Thanks so much Michael for the advice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice! Love it when people leave their keyboards and go do something[emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

#32 ·
So the controller looks the same, but has different manufacturer part number than the original post. Will they work the same? Any opinions here?

#33 ·
I don't believe the spilt amount changes at all by adding just a DEM. I have a complete GEN 3 setup for my model year from the factory and although it is instantaneous response there is nothing more than a tire chirp.

IIRC the main difference between GEN II and GEN III is the fact the pump is cycling pressure through the system in a recycle fashion in a GEN III vs. in GEN II the pump is not on at all times and is waiting for wheel slip so the delay is from the pressure building to allow clutch pack engagement.

I can't image changing the solenoid which would allow the pump to run and recycle the fluid until the valve allows the clutch to engage would be able to change the amount of distribution but it would should wake up a GEN II by only allow 1/17 slippage vs the stock 90 degrees before engagement. I would thing without valve changes, gearing, accumulator, pump and possibly clutch pack changes that the over distribution percentage would be impossible to change as the pressure that the system can build and the amount of force the clutch can handle are the same.

Could be wrong as maybe the way the DEM communicates to the rest of the car controls the front/rear distribution. No documentation from Haldex anymore since Borg Warner bought that division out and they don't make anything available. Would be interesting to see what DEMODEX engineers say about this?

Enjoy whatever it is that your experiencing though it is positive news for those with a GEN 2 system!

#34 ·
I don't believe the spilt amount changes at all by adding just a DEM. I have a complete GEN 3 setup for my model year from the factory and although it is instantaneous response there is nothing more than a tire chirp.

IIRC the main difference between GEN II and GEN III is the fact the pump is cycling pressure through the system in a recycle fashion in a GEN III vs. in GEN II the pump is not on at all times and is waiting for wheel slip so the delay is from the pressure building to allow clutch pack engagement.

I can't image changing the solenoid which would allow the pump to run and recycle the fluid until the valve allows the clutch to engage would be able to change the amount of distribution but it would should wake up a GEN II by only allow 1/17 slippage vs the stock 90 degrees before engagement. I would thing without valve changes, gearing, accumulator, pump and possibly clutch pack changes that the over distribution percentage would be impossible to change as the pressure that the system can build and the amount of force the clutch can handle are the same.

Could be wrong as maybe the way the DEM communicates to the rest of the car controls the front/rear distribution. No documentation from Haldex anymore since Borg Warner bought that division out and they don't make anything available. Would be interesting to see what DEMODEX engineers say about this?

Enjoy whatever it is that your experiencing though it is positive news for those with a GEN 2 system!
The swap also involves the updated solenoid attached to the DEM at 80psi vs 40psi (I believe this is the spec) which engages the system quicker

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

#38 ·
It is crazy how a module like the dem can be a plug and play from a completely different car. Having a V8 S80 with the gen 3, the front wheels do chirp as well, but that may be from the instant power of the V8.

It is almost imperceptible in this video

As far as worrying about the rear diff, Volvo usually uses pretty strong diffs. I would be more concerned about the collar sleeve handling the added stress. At least that is much easier and cheaper to replace though!

#40 ·
Found an old Haldex post on the R Forum here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?76471

That includes this tidbit about the different controllers:
So, I was on the Volvo website and found this info, thought I'd share since everone is always speculating on this stuff...

Jan 17, 2005 ID:2547

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finely tuned heart of Volvo AWD technology has distinctive beat

The technology that transfers power to the rear drive wheels in the Volvo XC70 Cross Country may look like the same all-wheel drive system that is in the Volvo V50 T5 AWD, but it is the clever tuning of the system to the different vehicles that makes Volvo AWD both predictable and safe.

The Volvo all-wheel drive system, installed as standard equipment or as an available option in the all-new S40 sedan and V50 sports wagon, S60 sports sedan, V70 wagon, S80 luxury sedan and the popular XC70 and XC90, looks virtually identical in every application. And while the computer-controlled unit that transfers power back and forth between the front and rear wheels has the same part number, in fact it has six different "personalities" depending on the vehicle in which it is installed.

The system, created by Haldex of Sweden, uses a mechanical pump, control valve and "wet" multi-plate clutch to distribute the power to the rear wheels. When front and rear wheels are rotating at the same speed, no power is transferred to the rear wheels. The instant that the front wheels begin to lose traction and spin, the system introduces power to the rear. A small auxiliary electrical pump is used to "pre-pressurize" the system so that power transfer can occur almost instantly. The difference in rotational speed between the slipping front wheels and the rear wheels causes the main pump (located at the rear differential) to force highly pressurized oil to the wet clutch plates in the rear differential, pushing the plates together to transfer power to the rear wheels.

The system is controlled by a computer module mounted on the rear differential that activates the electric pump and oil control valve. The differential module communicates with the engine control module (ECM) and brake control module via the car's Multiplex network to determine when the front (driven) wheels begin to lose traction and to anticipate different driving situations.

Because it is used in vehicles as different as the XC90 and the S40, with their different weight, wheelbase, track and other characteristics, Volvo engineers determined it was essential that the system be tuned to the specific vehicle. The engineers' goal was to not only maintain predictable handling for each vehicle whether or not the AWD system was active, their objective was also to maintain consistent and predictable handling among all the various vehicles.

Since the first Volvo with AWD was introduced, the handling characteristics have been the same. The cars were designed to have a slight "understeer" in extreme cornering situations, regardless of the AWD system's activity. The engineers reasoned that a slight understeer was safer for most drivers whether the vehicle is equipped with AWD or not. But that meant that the rate and amount of power transfer to the rear wheels had to differ in each application.

The solution was six different software parameters programmed into the electronic control unit of the Haldex coupling. Once installed, the coupler controller determines which car it is in, then selects and uses the software parameters for that car to run the AWD system.

There are different software parameters for XC90, S80 AWD and S60 AWD, while the V70 and XC70 share programming and the new S40 and V50 also get unique parameters. The S60 R and V70 R performance cars have their own programming (the system in the S60 R and V70 R works with the revolutionary Four-C electronically controlled chassis to create a handling profile slightly different than on the other variants). The new XC90 V8 uses a slightly different Haldex system with an enhancement called InstantTrac.

Using the software parameters for the specific car, the electronic control module opens and closes the valve, which controls oil flow between the pump and the wet clutch pack. The valve opens when the module detects a loss of traction. The controller measures the amount of wheelspin (and resultant difference in rotational speed between front and rear wheels) and determines how far the valve opens and the amount of oil pressure applied to the wet clutch by the pump, which in turn dictates how much power is transferred to the rear wheels in each model.

By measuring front wheel spin, throttle position and other data, the system can determine how quickly to distribute power, and how much power to distribute. When accelerating on a difficult surface like snow, for example, the rear wheels can be engaged quickly with maximum power transfer. During a low speed cornering or parking maneuver the system knows that the difference in speed between the wheels does not require the rear wheels to be engaged. As a result, the inertia other systems experience in similar circumstances is avoided.

In normal driving, with the AWD system inactive, 95 per cent of power is delivered to the front wheels. Depending on the vehicle, the traction and other factors, the system can transfer up to 95 per cent of the power to the rear wheels.

The performance of the system is also speed-related. The faster the vehicle is traveling, the less the need for the electric pump to pre-pressurize the system.

Best of all, the Volvo AWD operates completely automatically, independent of the driver. Many drivers will never know that a clever AWD system with multiple personalities has just helped them around a slippery corner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Media Information
Models: R, S40, S60, S80, V50, V70, XC70, XC90

Concepts: N/A

Model Years: N/A

Categories: Safety, Technology

Taken from: https://www.media.volvocars.co...=2547

All-Wheel Drive with Instant Traction™ is a standard S60 R feature designed to enhance road grip. Computer-controlled Haldex AWD delivers up to 50 percent more torque to the rear axle only when needed, such as during takeoff. Instant Traction employs a one-way pre-charging valve to the AWD system that maintains a torque load of 59 foot pounds, which is available instantly. Prior to Instant Traction, if the AWD system sensed that the front wheels were losing traction, one-seventh of a wheel rotation occurred before it began redirecting torque to the wheel with traction. That rotation could influence performance under certain conditions.

Taken from: https://www.media.volvocars.co...=3810

Cheers.

Reactions: BUCHO
#44 ·
Now this is great find, answers most questions about Volvo Haldex units.
Last unanswered questions: Does the clutch slippage and the valve movement controls the amount of torque applied or just the valve movement and no clutch slippage is required?

What this also tells me is even a GEN III on a S40/V50 would benefit from an XC90 V8 DEM if one is looking for more torque transfer, or possibly just the software program it is running would provide to a lesser degree a sportier ride. Looks like all of the Haldex units on Volvo with the maybe the exception of the XC90 have clutch slippage/valving control built into them as a design to only provide a small percentage of torque transfer to the rear.

I'd be interested to one of you guys do an experiment if your inclined?

1. Run your old DEM with the new hardware: (S40/V50 DEM with XC90 Valve)
2. Run the new XC90 DEM (software) with the S40/V50 Valve.

This could possibly provide 3 levels of upgrade (Mild, Intermediate and Insane)!

#43 ·
Can't wait to call some junk yards tomorrow [emoji51] I'm very excited to try this !I'm assuming my best bet is to just ask if they have the proper xc90 years?
It's more important that you find a V8. Any V8 XC90 will have this module, but there are a lot of different engines in the XC90 that will not.
If the yards have a 3.2L, then find out what years they have.

question MNIWT - do you by chance know what happens if you put the gen II into the xc90? does it still work just changes to a P1 split?
I'm not sure, we're all still in unchartered territory here.

#42 ·
and that its a V8! question MNIWT - do you by chance know what happens if you put the gen II into the xc90? does it still work just changes to a P1 split?

#45 ·
^Thanks for posting the info from Volvo.

So apparently I need to get one of these V8 modules - or take off my stupid stickers. And seeing as I'm quite attached to said stickers...

#46 ·
Went down to the scrap yard that had four V8s this morning. All four rear axle assemblies had been sold off already. I'll keep looking.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#48 · (Edited)
I just bought one from a yard in Alabama for $70 shipped. Found it on Car-Part.com. There are tons of them listed on there.

On Car-part, you want to choose "computer box, not engine" and then "Diff Lock, Case Mounted" with the part number 36001160. I also made sure I got one that was verified to come from a 4.4 V8 model as a lot of the yards just "guess" about which number it goes under, seeing as it isn't written on the actual unit. Even the comments on many of them say "CHECK ID" or "GUESS ID" as they don't know what they have. So be careful. I also made sure the guy put a note that I needed the solenoid and the pressure switch to come with it.

Reactions: Adrenaline406
#51 ·
I just bought one from a yard in Alabama for $70 shipped. Found it on Car-Part.com. There are tons of them listed on there.

On Car-part, you want to choose "computer box, not engine" and then "Diff Lock, Case Mounted" with the part number 36001160. I also made sure I got one that was verified to come from a 4.4 V8 model.

Curious if this will come with the solenoid and sensor as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk