SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

"Real" AWD Upgrade - Improved Power Split - Gen 3 Haldex

149K views 574 replies 90 participants last post by  Will Robinson 
#1 · (Edited)
We have successfully swapped a 3rd generation Haldex controller into our V50 and completely transformed how it drives. Launching off the line is insane with power going to the rear wheels immediately and the car now behaves like a true AWD vehicle.

While it's still no Evo or STI, this makes the V50 feel very similar to the Focus RS and it is rather easy to kick out the back end and hold a 4 wheel drift.

There is most definitely an improved front/rear power split. You can actually feel the car pushing you like a RWD, rather than predominantly pulling you like a FWD.
Aside from how the car drives, does anyone know of a cheap or free way to determine the new power split? I'm not looking to spend the money to put this car on a dyno.

The stock gen2 Haldex on our cars is a reactive system with a 70/30 power split.
The gen3 Haldex on the V8 XC90 (aka "Instant Traction") is a proactive system with a 60/40 power split, so the rear wheels are ready to go almost immediately like a real AWD vehicle.

All first generation V8 XC90s and some 3.2L XC90s use the gen3 Haldex controller.
Confirmed Haldex part numbers are: 5Wp33504-01, 5Wp22228-02, 5Wp33504-03, or 5Wp22228-04
Volvo part number is: 36001160

You will need to swap the DEM (differential electronic module), solenoid, and pressure sensor. It takes about 5 minutes and only 2 screws. It's a plug and play upgrade with no software required.

Important Notes:

Just because the back end can kick out so effortlessly does not make this a drift mode like the new RS. Considering the 3 piece drive shaft and tiny rear axles, I would highly discourage attempting to build a drift mode for this car with stock parts.

While this swap is successfully working, with no warning lights or errors, on a 2009 with DSTC and on my 2006 with no traction control. We cannot yet confirm this will flawlessly work on all P1 Volvos.

The real testing begins now, as we determine how this effects the fuel economy and how the rear differential holds up with the added power.

As a full disclaimer, the handling characteristics of the car will be transformed from an easy driving AWD Volvo to a rather insane AWD system. While the car is a lot more fun to drive and actually feels like a sports car, you will have to completely relearn how to drive the car. Throttle control is key, as simply mashing the gas pedal can easily make the back wheels spin.

@MooseTech gets full credit for finding this discovery in the process of successfully building the worlds first AWD C30. More details about that here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...legal-and-consumer-owned-C30-AWD-in-the-world

Update: I think we have ultimately concluded that three results can come from this mod.

1. It works for instant power to be delivered to the rear wheels, making these cars behave more like an all-time AWD when you're in the twisties. My V50 is still showing the improvement after 1 year and 25k miles.
2. It works for a few drive cycles and then the car disables awd until the original module is replaced.
3. It doesn't work at all.

There does not appear to be any indication on why it will or will not work depending on model, year, options, etc. The only way to find out if it works for you is to test it yourself.

See less See more
#113 ·
I should be picking up one this weekend and will test is ASAP on my P2, if it doesn't I will have it for sale at Carlisle if anyone is interested.
I'll take it if you don't keep it! Affordable shipping from Toronto. Might even be in town sometime soon.

#115 ·
Just installed the module from an '07 xc90 v8 on my '09 v50 t5 geartronic. Was $150 from hollanderparts.com and about 30min to install. Aside from an anti-skid service light and traction control light (which I don't mind as I can clear them), this thing works. I'm not going to argue with one another about the science behind it or which generation it stems from, etc. You can FEEL the car pushing more than before. The rear wheels chirp around corners and are much more ready to go at a dead-stop as well. I'm not sure to what extent I'm losing potential (if any) due to my torque limitations with the geartronic vs manual, but it is an extremely noticeable difference regardless and would be worth it for both manual and auto guys. As mynameideasaretaken has mentioned, you have to keep in mind that you will have to relearn to drive your car. It accelerates and corners in a completely different manner, but thus far, I may say this is the best mod I have purchased to date. Thanks to moosetech and michael for guinea pigging this for us!!

Reactions: joelkennethsmith
#119 ·
I can't believe how many people have this installed already! You guys and your pick-and-pull's, lol. I'm stuck here waiting on shipping from Alabama to Pennsylvania (FYI: where winter *just* ended). Probably be next week before I see it.

#120 ·
I can't believe how many people have this installed already!
In only 4 days! Definitely one of the quickest progressing threads/modifications I've seen in a while.
I'm glad to hear people are seeing positive results so far. Hopefully no one encounters any problems, we're all in uncharted territory together.

#124 ·
That thing is insane man... out of curiosity do you have a ballpark as to how much weight you've gained with the install?

#134 · (Edited)
Well...the receipt says "NEED SELINOD AND SWITCH", but this is what I got:

Darn you parts pickers! Junkyards can be so aggravating to deal with on anything even remotely detailed. Gah.

Anyway, I got the higher pressure switch. Are we for certain that the solenoid is different? Anybody compared them side-by-side? I'm going to try and shake them down for it anyway...

#136 · (Edited)
^The 80psi oil pressure switch is the piece I have. What I didn't get is the oil control solenoid.

Some ebay searching makes it seem like the solenoids are all the same. They all bear the same number: [22.100.220 "something" B23]. The "something" seems to be a random number (batch number?) that is not consistent even across haldex controllers with otherwise matching part numbers (5WPx, HAPx). Even the Audi haldex units seem to have the same solenoids/numbers. So I might be ok. I can't imagine the solenoid itself would be specialized. It is just controlling the oil flow relative to it's input signal. Any different behavior (e.g. Instant Traction) would be had by just changing the input signal via the software map in the controller. I'll probably get to try this out, as getting this XC90 solenoid to materialize is a long shot.

#138 · (Edited)
I thought that while I was going through the effort of modifying AWD things, it would be really cool to have a sort of Live AWD Status display. This would serve as a very visual cue of the AWD modifications.

I don't know if it's going to work yet, but I bought this Dual LED VU meter that I'm going to see if I can modify to provide 2 real-time views of AWD system operation: Haldex Clutch Lockup (Solenoid Drive) and Electric Pump Drive. I'd probably label them "Instant Traction" and "Torque Transfer Pressure" or something equally silly.

If I can get them dialed in to provide some reasonable view of the system operation, I could then swap modules and see if it makes any noticeable difference on the status lights. The meter does have a couple different "peak hold" settings which might be useful. Obviously data from VIDA is way more science-y, but lights are cool.

#143 ·
I thought that while I was going through the effort of modifying AWD things, it would be really cool to have a sort of Live AWD Status display. This would serve as a very visual cue of the AWD modifications.
Cool idea. Let us know how that turns out. I've always liked the AWD torque transfer gauge on Nissan Skylines. Back in early 90's when I got my first GT-R few electronically controlled AWD systems existed and after they became mainstream with first Gen1 Haldex AWD:s few years later, it has always baffled me why they didn't have one. I'd prefer a bit more subtle approach but if you can get this to work, replicating it sounds like a tempting DIY project.

#139 ·
Small update. The Alabama yard sales guy (Riteway Auto Salvage) was real nice on the phone, and said he'd have the guys go get the solenoid for me and send it up. He even asked me the best way to physically pull it out. Fingers crossed.

#140 · (Edited)
Guys who have successfully installed the XC90 DEM, have any of you connected to VIDA and tried to establish communications with the DEM?

I've swapped in the 08 XC90 DEM onto my 05 XC70 tonight. While I'm unable to establish communications through VIDA, the AWD seems to be working flawlessly. I won't comment on the performance as we would be comparing apples to oranges, but there is no chrip from the front wheels when I launch it from a stop so I assume I have 'instant-traction', would love to test in on something loose.

As for the communications, there are no faults set presently, but in the 'FAULT TRACE' tab the DEM is grey and under 'NETWORK' tab it's red and not responding. By the looks of the unit I received it has been previously work on as the cover is sealed up with sloppy RTV job. Anyways, gonna run it as is and see how it works, going to take it on some mud and gravel over the next few days.

#141 ·
Guys who have successfully installed the XC90 DEM, have any of you connected to VIDA and tried to establish communications with the DEM?

I've swapped in the 08 XC90 DEM onto my 05 XC70 tonight. While I'm unable to establish communications through VIDA, the AWD seems to be working flawlessly. I won't comment on the performance as we would be comparing apples to oranges, but there is no chrip from the front wheels when I launch it from a stop so I assume I have 'insta-traction', would love to test in on something loose.

As for the communications, there are no faults set presently, but in the 'FAULT TRACE' tab the DEM is grey and under 'NETWORK' tab it's red and not responding. By the looks of the unit I received it has been previously work on as the cover is sealed up with sloppy RTV job. Anyways, gonna run it as is and see how it works, going to take it on some mud and gravel over the next few days.
Thank you for reporting back. We were unable to test this because the c30 didn't have the dem option obviously. You are most likely not going to get the dem to show online unless you load it... which you do not want to do because you will lose the current programming. Enjoy it as is and let is know how she handles on dirt

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#144 ·
dumb q: is the little washer under the sensor the same on the dem in the car as on the xc90 dem?
Yep, the little washer is the same.

#146 ·
I just swapped the 5WP2228-04 on to my XC70 with a complete different DEM (forgot the PN of the original). Besides the issue I described the AWD does work, so it's possible that you could do the same if you don't mind not being able to communicate with the DEM. Try it, and if it doesn't work I'm sure someone would be willing to purchase it [emoji16]

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

#147 ·
Read through the thread....looking at getting a hold of one of these over the next few weeks. Just to sum it up:
Volvo Parts Webstore has the following info for what 36001160 and 36001159 fit combined:
VOLVO XC90
6Cyl -2007-2014
8cyl - 2005-2011

Haldex PN's:
5WP22228-02
5Wp33504-01

This correct summary?

#150 ·
Interesting that it isn't communicating with the car, does that mean the added torque is because the BCM isn't performing braking at any spinning wheels? Wonder what the lost communication means when a problem does arise. I'd be a little worried that if the pump starts going in this situation with no comms that your at increased risk of killing the DEM, guess its not a big issue if you can keep getting reduce pricing at the junk yards for replacements. But if and when you can't this is easily a 5K repair in just parts which isn't justified against most peoples blue book values. Could the no comms issue also prevent the system from disengaging properly in instances like parking or low speed sharp cornering in a parking lot, going around a city corner and the like?

All of this makes me wonder if the system will be easily damaged after this swap??? Will definitely be interested to see everyone's longer term experiences after the swap.

#160 ·
Could the no comms issue also prevent the system from disengaging properly in instances like parking or low speed sharp cornering in a parking lot, going around a city corner and the like?
It feels like the AWD is immediately there for all low speed sharp cornering, but it's not like these cars have locked diffs, so it's not a problem unless you stomp the gas.

How's everyone's mileage doing?
First tank with the swap, dropped down to 20mpg (usually average 21-24 on our mountain roads). Back to normal driving and it's back up to 23mpg with no highway driving.

One for my friend with his 500hp V50 T5 AWD, one for my 460hp C30 soon-to-be AWD :)
I was really hoping you'd swap this controller into that 500hp beast. :D

#151 · (Edited)
From reading through the design and function of the DEM it does its own diagnostics, if there is a fault with a sensor or solenoid or pump it should be able to see the error, resulting in loss of all wheel drive. The only thing is I will not be able to read the error through VIDA and will have to perform my own Hardware diagnostic, which I would do anyways.

Now as for communication faults, I feel that Volvo diagnostic software VIDA is unable to communicate with the module directly, but internally the CEM, the ECM the BCM, anf the DEM are still communicating with each other because there are no fault codes set in those modules for DEM communication faults such as:

BCM-0094: Communication between control units communication problems with DEM

CEM-1A64: Communication with AOC control module signal missing

... I could be completely wrong, but so far from my experience the all-wheel drive, the anti-lock braking, and traction control systems all seem to be working fine. I said before more testing is required, would love to hear back from anyone who is plugged in VIDA. The DEM that I installed has been worked on/rebuilt judging by the silicone on the case, I have no idea who did it so who knows what black magic can be going on internally.

#152 ·
I hooked mine up to VIDA yesterday evening and initially there was a BCM communication fault with the DEM and my ABS light started flashing. The DEM was not responding and greyed out in VIDA but at some point my ABS light stopped flashing. I was in a bit of a hurry to take the car out for a spin since this was the first time was doing any data logging (engine parameters since the DEM wasn't responding) with VIDA and didn't have a chance to check back with the BCM for faults. I'll hook it up again tonight when I have more time.

#154 ·
'abs' flashing with the DiCE plugged in is just a status light that indicates the the DiCE unit is talking to the vehicle, so no worries there.

OK - good to know.

I get two fault codes:

BCM-0094: Communication between control units communication problems with DEM
CEM-DE1A: Communication with DEM control module. Signal missing

I am curious how these will affect the AWD and traction control when it starts snowing next winter.

#156 ·
How's everyone's mileage doing? I'm not sure if it's because I'm trying to feel rears kick in more or my city/highway split is different but I've dropped about 0.8 mpg since I made the swap last Tuesday. I'd say I've driven about 500 miles since then and it's dropped from 25.0 to 24.2 mpg. Not really a scientific report but I thought I'd put it out there to see if others are having a similar experience.

#159 · (Edited)
A friend of mine did and it didn't work, but that sensor might have been broken.

e: "The Throttle valve is calibrated against the ECU and therefore they have to be mounted as a pair and can not be mixed." Source: http://www.kd-tuning.de/H_o_m_e_/Mo...x_ECU/Einbauanleitung_Haldexkupplung_Gen2.pdf

We've bought two Haldex controllers now and are waiting for them. One for my friend with his 500hp V50 T5 AWD, one for my 460hp C30 soon-to-be AWD :) I researched a bit and decided for a specific Haldex part number. I believe that the HAP511 / 3WP22xxxx should be Gen2 controllers (can't verify). I decided to not buy those controllers, although some are of XC90 V8s. The earlier (<2005?) XC90 still came with Haldex Gen2!

It seems that the HAP542 / 5WP3350x should be the one to look for. MyNameIdeasWereTaken got the 5WP33504 - we bought one 5WP33502 and one 5WP33505. Mine is the -02 one and this is off a 2010 XC90 2.4D / D5. For the -05 one, we have no information about which car it was taken from. I know that my controller is not from a V8 but i actually doubt it will make a difference. The Gen3 should always prime and have instant traction. Probably on the XC90s the Gen3 was introduced earlier or the Gen2 did already prime?

There also exists a controller, also marked with HAP542 but with just one combined component on the inside which won't fit our Haldex module. This might be a Gen4 controller? Anyway, there are further marked as 5WP3351x and will not fit.

But even if my C30 won't have instant traction in the beginning, the 80 bar pressure sensor should make a huge difference in terms of transferable torque and therefore allowing AWD skids. :) I really think it should have instant traction, but even if it doesn't, even the Gen2 will be a huge help to improve the handling of my C30. The AWD just pushes you forward - with FWD, 650+nm of torque and a quaife locking diff you are just tumbling through two lanes when accelerating over a not-perfectly-smooth road because of the rough torque transfer at grip loss on one wheel. For the AWD without locking diff, if one wheel spins, three others are still pushing you in the same direction - straight. Had the chance to drive the V50 AWD for a day, how it handled on rural roads was so much better than with my C30, it just pulls you straight when accelerating.