Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Good find that the 2010 v8 is not a gen 3 but appears to be gen4

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MooseTech View Post
      No, don't buy it

Roger, note the model year split people!
      07 V50 T5 AWD | E46 Bi-xenon w/ KBOWE | Projector Info

Quote Originally Posted by Nick0matic View Post
      Roger, note the model year split people!
      Thank you for posting before committing. Lol

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by V50toS40 View Post
      Damn you!! You bought this off eBay yesterday right? I was going to buy this one!
      Hi, sorry. There's more out there! I talked to an auto wrecker here in LB. He has a 2005 XC90 V8, but would only sell me the whole rear differential for $300.

- Improved Power Split - Gen 3 Haldex

It says "continental VOLVO haldex 5WP33504-03 works from an 06 v8 xc90 as well- the tech thought the 03 came from a different batch as a replacement part- this will push you around a corner in a hurry and spin the tires a bit in 2nd. more smiles per gallon with this mod!

edited: part # correction
      Last edited by MadisonC30; 05-01-2018 at 06:24 PM.

When I plug my S80 into Vida and go to the DEM communication tab, it shows how much torque is going to the rear wheels. It’s a calculated number but you might be able to see if it changes on the P1s when the new module is installed.
      2002 S60 T5M
      235K miles
      Black Sapphire Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by storsav View Post
      Hi, sorry. There's more out there! I talked to an auto wrecker here in LB. He has a 2005 XC90 V8, but would only sell me the whole rear differential for $300.
      Yeah I contacted them too. Reviews say they're pretty shady over there.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
      2005 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 (2017 - ) || 1987 Toyota MR2 (2016 - ) || 2002 Lexus IS300 (2016 - ) || 2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 (2016 - 2019) || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 (2015 - 2016) || 2001 Acura Integra GSR (2010 - 2010) Stolen lol

It looks like my best lead is buying a whole rear diff for around 180 and probably just leaving the rest of it at the yard. Bummer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      2010 S40 T5 R-Design M66 AWD -- IPD rear sway bar -- Elevate Intake, intake pipe -- drjonez race mode switch -- do88 intercooler -- Eibach Pro springs incoming -- shark stage 3 incoming --

180 seems high. I'm seeing several of these around $100 with verified part numbers and/or V8 donor:

Unless you guys cleared these out already? lol.
      Last edited by walky_talky20; 05-01-2018 at 09:39 PM.
      Passion Red 2006 V50 T5 AWD M66 - Climate, Premium, and Dynamic packages
      Laser Red 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, D2 A8 Brakes Front & Rear

One more quick question: why is it that we're focused on the XC90 V8 only? Were other Haldex versions tested? Just curious what the rationale was for choosing the XC90 boxes? Is it the Instant Traction variable? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by storsav View Post
      One more quick question: why is it that we're focused on the XC90 V8 only? Were other Haldex versions tested? Just curious what the rationale was for choosing the XC90 boxes? Is it the Instant Traction variable? Thanks.
      Two reasons...instant traction software and massive accessibility for me. I haven't tested other options other than the s40 gen2.

Well the words out. I went to the yard yesterday to check two XC90s with the requisite running gear and both DEMs had been pulled. The hunt is ON!
      2005 S60 2.5T AWD
      2014 XC60 T6 AWD

Didn't learn from the 2005s repair bills and brought home a second. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess

I found 4 in California yards yesterday online 2004-2007 from $130-$200.

I think the focus is on the XC90 as no other model will have the huge pressure valve as compared to the XC90 80 psi vs 40 psi for the S40/V50.

I wish Borg Warner would release the Haldex specs like Haldex did before the drivetrain division was bought out. I used to have GEN I through GEN IV or V specs and I know I found GEN III and IV recently when I did my maintenance and found I had a GEN III setup on my car but I can't seem to find it now. Will have to see what XEMODEX has on them as they are main place that does repairs on them.
      2009 V50 T5 AWD GT: Work in progress (1) (2) (3)

Let me ask a dumb question that MNIWT already (sorta) hinted at: what exactly is the benefit to this modification?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      Let me ask a dumb question that MNIWT already (sorta) hinted at: what exactly is the benefit to this modification?
      I dont think he hinted at it. Blatantly said it is for the instant traction system. The rear pump is primed and circulates vs being reactive to front slip.

I have video of both versions on this c30 but i cant imbed video here. Maybe ill upload the original to youtube. My youtube channel should have the gen3 already

Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar
      For performance oriented driving, it's a lot more fun and really pulls through the corners. The power is immediate to all 4 wheels.
      For just a commuter, it might be a bit too aggressive. I got on the throttle a bit too quickly leaving work and the back end squealed leaving my office parking lot, haha.

My research shows 2009 XC90 is also GEN IV.

Quote Originally Posted by slrising View Post
      My research shows 2009 XC90 is also GEN IV.
      That's great to know!
      The V8 still uses the same Volvo part number for the DEM through all years, so that's really what we (in the P1 community) need to be aware of when shopping.

I wonder if this is worth doing on an auto...

Thought I was done with mods (and am thinking about a new car), but more power sent to the rear is very tempting...
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by T5CO View Post

Thought I was done with mods (and am thinking about a new car), but more power sent to the rear is very tempting...
      I'm curious how an automatic would handle this swap, since there's a torque limiter in 1st and 2nd gear. It might not make the conversion as pronounced, but I'm sure you'd still notice the instant traction of the rear wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      I'm curious how an automatic would handle this swap, since there's a torque limiter in 1st and 2nd gear. It might not make the conversion as pronounced, but I'm sure you'd still notice the instant traction of the rear wheels.
      That depends on the autos tune. I have 27psi in all gears.

I'll report those findings at a later date

That depends on the autos tune. I have 27psi in all gears.

I'll report those findings at a later date
      That's a good point!
      Not many K16s or torque limiter removal tunes on this forum though.

"Real" AWD Upgrade - Improved Power Split - Gen 3 Haldex

Ok so the benefit is a faster / stronger rear wheel bias. From what you guys are saying it's almost like you get a quick switch from heavy fwd bias to a heavy rwd bias.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding an improvement over the stock gen 2 system. Because At least on my early p1, playing in the dirt meant all 4 wheels spinning and the car going sideways all over the place. Without a clutch dump even a hard launch in the wet stuck like glue. So again, what's the improvement?

That being said, I can see how this would be fun mod for a race car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Ok so the benefit is a faster / stronger rear wheel bias. From what you guys are saying it's almost like you get a quick switch from heavy fwd bias to a heavy rwd bias.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding an improvement over the stock gen 2 system. Because At least on my early p1, playing in the dirt meant all 4 wheels spinning and the car going sideways all over the place. Without a clutch dump even a hard launch in the wet stuck like glue. So again, what's the improvement?

I wouldn't go as far as heavy rear bias.

The benefit is quicker response and possibly a slightly higher bias over the gen2.

Don't overthink this. Try it and see.

Quote Originally Posted by T5CO View Post
      I have an auto and just found an xc90 DEM for $50 in a yard near me so I will report back.

Think of it as the relation between STC on and STC off. There is a huge driving difference between the two, but if you never experienced STC off, you'd never think to "complain" about driving with STC on.
      Then there was the drjonez race mode switch, which gave an equally huge difference between having DSTC off and completely disabling all traction control. I never had any gripes about DSTC off until I realized what the car could do with no traction control.

Swapping out for the V8 DEM gives the car a completely different driving dynamic.
      While the AWD S40 and V50 are significantly different driving experiences than their FWD counterparts, I had no desire to slap an AWD S40 to the underside of my C30. It just wasn't good enough to justify the time and money (in my opinion).
      But now, I am actively shopping for a donor car because this feels like the performance oriented AWD system I would want in a car built for performance driving.
      *It should also mentioned that the V8 DEM was the solution to prevent traction control error codes with DSTC-on for the AWD swapped C30.

While it's definitely easier to break loose, the car is a lot more balanced going through the turns, like you'd expect from an AWD. I've driven the Focus RS in the mountains and my V50 now feels very similar to that.

With a bone stock '06 v50 awd with the manual and a JBR sway bar, running 17x8 pegs, it feels like the car pushes more, and accelerates better without assistance of the lower torque mount.

My mount is shot, and before DEM swap, accelerating would pull the car, and since the mount is effed, it felt sloppy. After the DEM swap, it does not feel sloppy any more, it is more of a push from the rear and feels less reliant on the condition of the mount.

Also, I can spin the rear tires on dry pavement hitting corners hard, and could never get that to happen without the DEM swap. Before it felt like the C30 (fwd, understeer) at the beginning of corners, then the rear would kick in for grip and push (more understeer). Now it feels like the rear is there to have fun right away, and will get the tires to slip in the back and increase a more neutral (verging on oversteer) feeling. Again this is with a bone stock non-upgraded in any way besides fat rear swaybar and more meat on the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      Think of it as the relation between STC on and STC off. There is a huge driving difference between the two, but if you never experienced STC off, you'd never think to "complain" about driving with STC on.
      Then there was the drjonez race mode switch, which gave an equally huge difference between having DSTC off and completely disabling all traction control. I never had any gripes about DSTC off until I realized what the car could do with no traction control.

Swapping out for the V8 DEM gives the car a completely different driving dynamic.
      While the AWD S40 and V50 are significantly different driving experiences than their FWD counterparts, I had no desire to slap an AWD S40 to the underside of my C30. It just wasn't good enough to justify the time and money (in my opinion).
      But now, I am actively shopping for a donor car because this feels like the performance oriented AWD system I would want in a car built for performance driving.
      *It should also mentioned that the V8 DEM was the solution to prevent traction control error codes with DSTC-on for the AWD swapped C30.

While it's definitely easier to break loose, the car is a lot more balanced going through the turns, like you'd expect from an AWD. I've driven the Focus RS in the mountains and my V50 now feels very similar to that.
      you are so fast!!

I wouldn't go as far as heavy rear bias.

The benefit is quicker response and possibly a slightly higher bias over the gen2.

Don't overthink this. Try it and see.

As alluded to in several posts this isn't a GEN II vs GEN III issue, it's a standard GEN III vs 'Instant Traction' GEN III issue. From every source I've found the difference between GEN II and GEN III is the presence of an electric pump as well as a hydraulic pump in GEN III whereas GEN II only have a hydraulic pump. Search for part number 30783079 and you will find it is an electric oil pump found in 55 variants of Volvos from 2003 to 2010, including 2005-2010 S40/V50, V8 XC90s from 2005-2008, and 3.2L XC90s 2007-2008. Maybe 2004.5 S40/V50 were GEN II but I'm not sure they even came in AWD.

EDITED Upon further research it seems the sites I found stating the difference between GEN II and GEN III was the presence of an electric pump in GEN III were wrong. A thread in the XC90 forum draws on information in the Haldex 2008 Annual Report that states which Volvos had GEN II, GEN III, and GEN IV. Apparently the electric pump was the same for GEN II and GEN III Volvos but how it was used differed.

All that said, I did go out yesterday and pulled a unit from a 2007 3.2L XC90 and swapped it into my 2006 S40. Can't say I noticed an immediate difference because I haven't been able to get out to do any 'spirited' driving yet, but there was a slight difference when I had the car up on stands with all four wheels off the ground. Before the swap if I used my hand to stop the left rear wheel from spinning it stayed stopped until I stopped the right rear wheel from spinning. After the swap it immediately started spinning after I took my hand away.
      Last edited by kjhiggins; 05-09-2018 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Correcting based on new information
      2010 XC70 T6 148k; 2006 S40 T5 AWD M66 205k; 2004 XC70 275k; 1998 V70 288k (sold); 1970 Dodge Super Bee 383 Magnum 122k

Quote Originally Posted by MadisonC30 View Post
      With a bone stock '06 v50 awd with the manual and a JBR sway bar, running 17x8 pegs, it feels like the car pushes more, and accelerates better without assistance of the lower torque mount.
      Thanks for sharing your success story with us! That makes 3 V50s with this upgrade now. In only 3 days!

Great posts lately guys. Glad this is now a thing.

I have one more scheduled AWD c30 swap besides my own...who's next

Dang you guys are causing me to wanna go test mine. I have an 2009 V50 AWD with auto and GEN III Haldex. The pickup is instant, but interested to see what the pressures are now?

@moosetech, where do you read the pressure in VIDA (what is the parameter name to monitor)? May test this out this weekend if I have time would like to know if my only difference is the software and I have all the same hardware? I'm guessing you guys got an upgrade on both and thus the massive difference. I swear I read somewhere that mine operates at the higher pressure but now I can't find it???

Edit: Will also be interested to see if this causes any premature wear on the collar? While possibly reducing wear of the clutch packs (less gunk in the gear oil between changes) and thus improving the reliability of the AOC pump?
      Last edited by slrising; 05-02-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Here's a good XC90 Haldex reference for you all:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...built-the-same
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 2005 TSX, 1997 Bonneville, 1998 Concorde

Just to expand on my experience a bit. I scouted a couple of local wrecking yards and didn't find any V8 XC90s but I did find a 2007 3.2L XC90. I went and checked the VIN using VIDA and it came back with the proper Volvo part number (36001160) so I went back yesterday and pulled it. I feel stupid now for not taking a picture of the unit but I think the part had 5wp22228-04 instead of -02 on it. I wanted to see if I could determine a difference in behavior in the Haldex system at home rather than on the road so I put the car up on four stands and observed the wheel spin.

First of all, my AWD is back! I mentioned in a previous thread I suspected my collar sleeve was shot and indeed it was as well as my angle gear so I had the shop that installed my new clutch and Quaife LSD install a new sleeve and a salvaged angle gear. The right rear wheel actually appeared to spin faster than the right front wheel when the car as idling in gear. The left rear wheel was spinning much slower than the rest but I suppose we can thank the open rear differential for that. Also, I could stop either rear wheel pretty easily with my hand (thanks again to the open diff) and while the right rear started right up again the left rear did not but did start rotating when I stopped the right rear. I tried to stop the front wheels but couldn't even slow them down, which makes sense with the Quaife LSD installed (I guess the shop DID actually install it!)

I swapped the new controller in (which turned out to take a bit longer than 5 minutes because the bolts were seized and I had to be very careful not to strip the allen head) and tested again. Default rear wheel rotation looked about the same speed but after I stopped the left rear wheel it started spinning on its own when I removed my hand. Perhaps this is the effect of the increased pre-load Haldex pump pressure. Can't say I've noticed an immediate difference but that might just be because I had my kids in the car last night when I took it for a spin. They get a little squirrelly when I drive aggressively. Can't wait to really put this mod and the Quaife to the test!
      2010 XC70 T6 148k; 2006 S40 T5 AWD M66 205k; 2004 XC70 275k; 1998 V70 288k (sold); 1970 Dodge Super Bee 383 Magnum 122k

Quote Originally Posted by R-Pow3R3d View Post
      Here's a good XC90 Haldex reference for you all:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...built-the-same
      GEN II, III and IV in those picks from top to bottom in the first post

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast