SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Used XC90 buyers guide?

16K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  dreamingVOLVO 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I am a current S60R owner looking to add a utilitarian vehicle to the household. I’ve been looking at first gen XC90s and was wondering if anyone has a guide (or could provide guidance) around which model years to avoid, the reliability of engine choices, general issues, etc...

#2 ·
XC90 T6 (2004-2006) uses a GM 4 speed transmission. Issue with general longevity, possible contamination of transmission fluid with coolant. Can be “hardened” (see TripleEdge web page for details) but stock unit is problematic, just a matter of when it’ll fail in my opinion.

XC90 V8- Avoid engine SN <6833 (early 2005) unless you know either CB shaft valley has been reworked by Volvo or the car engine bay was never washed (if it was washed, car was run to hot afterwards to prevent water from puddling in the area behind the rear CB shaft bearing).

XC90 3.2 and V8- Potential issue with valve body for early TF-80SC transmission SN up to 06J (check through 2007 model year to be sure).

Others can add their thoughts, this is what immediately comes to mind.

Good luck in your search.

#3 · (Edited)
Welcome!

I have done a lot of research myself on this topic. The 2.5t (or T5 in other countries) seems to be the way the go when it comes to reliability, low maintenance costs and best auto gearbox. 2006 was the last year of the 2.5t in the US and generally considered the most reliable. 2005 is 2nd best.

After a long search I found myself a low mileage 2006 2.5t. I do all the maintenance myself as it is super easy to work on. In Europe (that’s where I’m from, although I live in San Francisco now), the 2.5t is considered indestructable. People run them for >500k km’s in V70’s, S60’s, XC90’s and often they run them without issues on LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) adding a lot of stress to valves and valve seals.

The 5-cyl 2.5t has plenty of power and torque to deal with the heavy car and its 7 passengers. I live in SF and the low pressure turbo makes it torquey enough to easely take both the city hills and highway inclines. I don’t get people’s need for the V8 (big engines must be an American thing I guess...). Yes it’s quicker of the line but they both cruise at 80mph all day long, and both their handling compares to a boat.

#4 ·
My car's probably a great example of the worst case scenario since pretty much everything was neglected before I bought it, but it'll give you an idea of what sort of maintenance and preventative maintenance you could be looking at. Ironically the only thing that hasn't given me grief is the transmission (so far, knock on wood). Needless to say, a good service history and the previous owner staying on top of maintenance will make things a lot easier on you.

#5 ·
Hey everyone, I am a current S60R owner looking to add a utilitarian vehicle to the household. I've been looking at first gen XC90s and was wondering if anyone has a guide (or could provide guidance) around which model years to avoid, the reliability of engine choices, general issues, etc...
The short version:
Bookending your search to production dates forward of 2008 will net almost every significant engineering update and option (Haldex Gen. 4, 6 Spd Trans, BLIS, etc.) while avoiding a host of engineering flaws and parts issues in the first 5 years of the run, including but not limited to:

- Transmission Valve Body failure in the early 6 Spd transmission
- PCV leaks
- Weak / Fragile G.M. 4 Spd transmission
- DSC sensor box failure due to water pooling under the seat
- Sunroof leaks
- Sunroof drain clogs (leading to aforementioned DSC failure)
- Fuel door issue
- Difficult to service AOC.
- Steering Wheel Clockspring failure
- Head Unit failure
- Interior trim issues
... ... ...

This is not to say that properly sorted <'08 models at a bargain cannot be found or that a >'08 model will not encounter some of these issues, but the probability is far far less if not impossible due to resdesign, replacement, or strengthening during the run.

Engines: The V8 is a Yamaha motor. Makes great power for its size with no MPG penalty versus the 6 cylinder. A real engineering feat but it's also shoehorned in the bay. Very difficult to find room to work on it. Also there was a balance shaft problem that lead to engine rebuilds. I believe this was sorted out in '08 but one of the V8 experts can chime in here.

T5. Bread and butter engine for Volvo. Probably the most popular here for a host of reasons.

T6. Replaced the T5. Never hear much about it except for a cheap turbo bypass hose or something.

3.2. Vanilla engine. It does nothing spectacularly but will do the job well. Early models had PCV issues.

Stay away from the Nivomat passive self-leveling suspension. It's not a bad suspension but the shocks are 3x the cost of normal shocks when it comes time for replacement.

#15 ·
The short version:
Bookending your search to production dates forward of 2008 will net almost every significant engineering update and option (Haldex Gen. 4, 6 Spd Trans, BLIS, etc.) while avoiding a host of engineering flaws and parts issues in the first 5 years of the run, including but not limited to:

- Transmission Valve Body failure in the early 6 Spd transmission
- PCV leaks
- Weak / Fragile G.M. 4 Spd transmission
- DSC sensor box failure due to water pooling under the seat
- Sunroof leaks
- Sunroof drain clogs (leading to aforementioned DSC failure)
- Fuel door issue My '06 is good, but my '08 is broken
- Difficult to service AOC.
- Steering Wheel Clockspring failure
- Head Unit failure
- Interior trim issues
... ... ...

This is not to say that properly sorted <'08 models at a bargain cannot be found or that a >'08 model will not encounter some of these issuesMy '08 has a torque converter problem with 96k miles on it, but the probability is far far less if not impossible due to resdesign, replacement, or strengthening during the run.

Engines: The V8 is a Yamaha/Volvo developed motor. Makes great power for its size with no MPG penalty versus the 6 cylinder. A real engineering feat but it's also shoehorned in the bay. Very difficult to find room to work on it. Also there was a balance shaft problem that lead to engine rebuilds. I believe this was sorted out in '08 but one of the V8 experts can chime in here issue was sorted in the first year, 2005.

T5 2.5T. Bread and butter engine for Volvo. Probably the most popular here for a host of reasons.

T6. Replaced the T5 T6 was offered alongside the 2.5T until 2006. Never hear much about it except for a cheap turbo bypass hose or something.

3.2. Vanilla engine. It does nothing spectacularly but will do the job well. Early models had PCV issues.

Stay away from the Nivomat passive self-leveling suspension. It's not a bad suspension but the shocks are 3x the cost of normal shocks when it comes time for replacement.The Nivomats generally outlast regular shocks. They're a very robust design. My '06 may still be on the originals at 185k miles with no issues. Any 7 passenger models through at least 2008 will have them.
A few clarifications.

#6 ·
Hey everyone, I am a current S60R owner looking to add a utilitarian vehicle to the household. I've been looking at first gen XC90s and was wondering if anyone has a guide (or could provide guidance) around which model years to avoid, the reliability of engine choices, general issues, etc...
Do you do the wrenching on your s60r? If so, you will be very familiar with with any xc90 with the 2.5t engine. I would recommend the 2.5t due to the reliability and there is tons of space under the hood if plan to do you own maintenance.

I keep hearing that 2006 is the most reliable of the 2.5t, but I believe any 2.5t model from 2004-2006 is equally reliable.

#7 ·
I keep hearing that 2006 is the most reliable of the 2.5t, but I believe any 2.5t model from 2004-2006 is equally reliable.
I agree. You're just talking about age/wear and tear differences that any car two years older than its younger sibling will have. I haven't seen others report on any of my gremlins in the interior (clogged sunroof drains, clockspring/anti-skid service, etc.) that were resolved by 2006.

The engine itself has been pretty much bullet proof.

BD

'04 XC90 2.5T AWD, '06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 850 Turbo & '05 S60 T5 FWD R.I.P.)

#8 ·
You know, you said first gen XC90 and I assumed 03-06. There was a couple of minor refreshes throughout which are mainly obvious in the taillights. My post was mostly to address the first iteration since the first couple of years had some teething issues and all of the rubber components are that much older, but the 03-13 models went largely unchanged except for options like BLIS and the engines. Had you narrowed down a year range, or were you looking anywhere in 03-13?

Other than the transmission, maintenance and reliability on the T6 isn't much different than the 2.5. It's just tougher to work on thanks to being closer to the edges and the extra plumbing for the twin turbos.

#9 ·
Thank you everyone for the great responses!

To answer some of you, I am planning on doing most of my own wrenching, and I consider everything <13 as 1st gen. Please let me know if that’s not the consensus.

I asked this question because I heard various scraps of info advising to stay far away from V6 engines or in general anything under MO 08. It sounds like the T5 is a solid choice though, but if I can get my hands on an 08+ V8, that’s the way to go.

#10 ·

To answer some of you, I am planning on doing most of my own wrenching, and I consider everything <13 as 1st gen. Please let me know if that's not the consensus.

I asked this question because I heard various scraps of info advising to stay far away from V6 engines or in general anything under MO 08. It sounds like the T5 is a solid choice though, but if I can get my hands on an 08+ V8, that's the way to go.
Great. I think you got it! That was exactly what I narrowed it down to. The thing is that a 2008+ V8 will cost you twice as much as a 2004+ 2.5t or T5. For the 'money saved' by going for the 2006 2.5t, I bought myself a nice Triumph Thruxton.

Ps. Volvo never made a V6. There are two different 6-in lines. The T6 twin turbo with the GM gearbox issues and the 3.2 naturally aspirated that is the successor of the 2.5t.

#11 ·

To answer some of you, I am planning on doing most of my own wrenching, and I consider everything <13 as 1st gen. Please let me know if that's not the consensus.

I asked this question because I heard various scraps of info advising to stay far away from V6 engines or in general anything under MO 08. It sounds like the T5 is a solid choice though, but if I can get my hands on an 08+ V8, that's the way to go.
08+ V8 is the sweet spot. We simply cannot let go of our 2008 V8...our 16 year old is wrapped in its protection now. 175k miles. Engine strong. Transmission seems solid still. Have replaced compressor, condenser and blower...but hey they were run hard in Texas heat.

#12 ·
2008-2009 with with 3.2 and FWD tend to be the sweetspot for lower overall maintenance. The 2.5L 5 Cyl is a great engine but with timing belt changes, leaking cam seals, engine mounts, PCV box expense and possibly dropping the oil pan to clean out pcv drain passages, not to mention it just feels weak in that heavy vehicle. I put an R engine in one of my older XC90's and that helped with power (Stage 3 Tune). The 3.2 has relatively minor repairs if lower mileage. The drive belt and pullies should be changed by 140K, although I have seen pullies go before that. 3.2's also have the previously mentioned PCV box issue BUT it is very easy to replace vs the 2.5L. Also the brake vacuum pump will need to be resealed every 60-70K miles but its easy and cheap to get a seal kit. Change the plugs, filters and coolant every 75K and those engines just keep going. AC compressors are a weak point as well. Sometimes you can just replace the valve but if they are noisy or the clutch goes, its better to get a new one.

#13 ·
I have a 2007 with 203k on it. 3.2 engine, I bought with 93k on it. So I have replaced rear wheel bearing ( seems to be common) mine went while I was purchasing it so dealer fixed. Engine mount and assorted issues cost $1100, replaced front shocks myself so 300 in parts, replaced all brake rotors and pads once, belts went but not pulley. Spark plugs and ignition coils were kind of expnsive. This has been one of the most reliable and comfortable cars I have owned.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Best thing to do is drive a few variants and see what feels best. If you're coming from an S60R, I suspect you'll be underwhelmed with anything less than the V8 but the only way to find out is first hand.

If the opportunity presents itself, test drive a properly running V8 Sport/R-Design (2007-2010), but try it after you've driven a few other models so you have a point of perspective.

Good luck in your search....

#19 ·
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but how about for 2009 XC90?

I have an opportunity to buy a 2009 Volvo XC90 for my first family car. Currently at 159Kms, with the Yamaha V8, 4.4L Engine. Is this still a good buy for me? if ever, it will be my first Volvo, so I wouldn't know anything about owning one, but I know that they are very safe. Im having our first child so safety is the first thing that comes to my mind when it comes to cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.