Stealth hitch available for the V90CC
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stealth hitch available for the V90CC

The wait is over! I don't mean to spam the group, but I know a number of us have been waiting for this, and I just got word that a stealth hitch (invisihitch) for the CC is in final production and will be shipping within a week or so. Just ordered mine today. Should be up on the stealthhitch website next week, but they are taking orders by phone this week.

For those who haven't been following the other threads on tow hitches, the stealth hitch will finally give us V90CC owners the option of using a square hitch receiver for things like bike racks and other accessories. The hitch also can come with a ball hitch attachment that gives the same solid connection as with the OEM hitch. You lose the automatic folding aspect of the OEM hitch, but I think it's worth it if you want a far more versatile hitch solution. More info available from Stealth hitch.

Now I can finally use my one-up bike rack again and get the bikes off the roof. Yay.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Teleman View Post
      The wait is over! I don't mean to spam the group, but I know a number of us have been waiting for this, and I just got word that a stealth hitch (invisihitch) for the CC is in final production and will be shipping within a week or so. Just ordered mine today. Should be up on the stealthhitch website next week, but they are taking orders by phone this week.

For those who haven't been following the other threads on tow hitches, the stealth hitch will finally give us V90CC owners the option of using a square hitch receiver for things like bike racks and other accessories. The hitch also can come with a ball hitch attachment that gives the same solid connection as with the OEM hitch. You lose the automatic folding aspect of the OEM hitch, but I think it's worth it if you want a far more versatile hitch solution. More info available from Stealth hitch.

Now I can finally use my one-up bike rack again and get the bikes off the roof. Yay.
      Any word if it work with the V90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great news! Price?
      2018 V90CC Ocean Race, Blond/Charcoal Interior, Polestar (OSD July, 2018)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

[EDIT: So I am just digging into this and got confused by stealthhitches.com vs invisihitch.com ... apparently they are not the same company and the stealthhitches are cheaper knock-offs?? I assume that you are referring to invisihitch and not stealthhitches.com????]

Interesting that invisihitch.com does not list the XC90 hitch even though it's been produced for a couple of years now. Just audi and bmw models listed. Anyways, it looks like they replace the bumper beam behind the bumper and the rack/tow attachment can be attached to that when needed. I am assuming that the pricing will be similar to the XC90 - $700 for rack only, $1000 for rack + towing. I am also assuming that one could order the towing attachment at a later date when/if needed ...
      Last edited by nquery; 05-01-2018 at 05:36 PM.

538 plus shippin That is too much i think.

Stealth--Invisihitch, same products, different marketing channels I guess. Not knock-off by any means. All designed and manufactured right at their US facility. Call Steve at Stealthhitches.com and I'm sure he'll be happy to answer any questions. The V90CC hitch is the same price as the XC90 hitch--around $1K for the full combo package with all hitch parts, wiring, and the combo accessory/tow ball package. Wiring gives you full access to the special Volvo towing functions. Seems competitive after install with the OEM hitch, but much more useful in the US market.

ok so Daryl @ invisihitch is on the same team as steve @ stealthhitches? I am confused because in this thread https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post6372418 there is discussion about lawsuits and knock-offs and such. I am now thinking that they are referring to execuhitch which for a time marketed it's own "invisihitch" ...

No idea. All I know is stealth hitch is the only one with a V90CC hitch.

Will the part fit the V90 as well? Thanks.
      < 2017 V90 T6 R-Design / P* tune / KW V3 & custom spacers / BBS 20" CH-R custom finish / front P* badge / VST front lip / Brembo 18z / RDX lip spoiler / Heico quad tips >
      < 2013 V40 T4 R-Design (bye!) / P* tune / Eibach spacers & springs / 100mm Ti tips / Heico-style flank decals / Dave Barton's moose / OE Revozport A45 spoiler / Advan RSII / Aeroworkz lip / OE Roush extractors / GruppeM intake / de-chromed trim / carbon-wrapped mirrors / painted calipers >

Quote Originally Posted by axl886 View Post
      Will the part fit the V90 as well? Thanks.
      Donít know. Best to ask Stealth. Might be worth noting that the OEM folding hitch is only available for the CC, not the V90óat least in the US.

It's confusing but Invisihitch and Execuhitch were/are related - one bought the other or something. Stealth hitch apparently was founded by a former Invisihitch employee and Invisihitch says there is a current lawsuit over intellectual property and such.

The Invisihitch website is pretty terrible so there is a good chance they will have the same hitch soon if they don't already. Both companies seem to pretty much match each other in terms of applications.

Quote Originally Posted by nquery View Post
      ok so Daryl @ invisihitch is on the same team as steve @ stealthhitches? I am confused because in this thread https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post6372418 there is discussion about lawsuits and knock-offs and such. I am now thinking that they are referring to execuhitch which for a time marketed it's own "invisihitch" ...

Quote Originally Posted by jeff191 View Post
      It's confusing but Invisihitch and Execuhitch were/are related - one bought the other or something. Stealth hitch apparently was founded by a former Invisihitch employee and Invisihitch says there is a current lawsuit over intellectual property and such.

The Invisihitch website is pretty terrible so there is a good chance they will have the same hitch soon if they don't already. Both companies seem to pretty much match each other in terms of applications.
      Ok, now I am once again confused ... and they aren't exactly the same product if this is true. The XC90 forums have had a lot of direct contact/involvement from Daryl @ Invisihitch. The invisihitch priced for XC90 seems to be a bit higher than the stealthhitch for XC90. Would be interesting to know what the exact differences are between these two product lines. (understanding that invisihitch has not announced a V90CC hitch yet).

Yeah, it seems that they are two different companies. I had been in contact with both, but haven't heard anything from invisihitch about a solution for the V90CC. Daryl seemed to indicate that there was some difference in the solutions in one of his earlier posts, but maybe they can't talk about things due to law suits. I guess only they can say. All I know is that Stealth has a hitch for my car and I haven't heard a peep from Invisihitch in months, and I am desperate for an alternative to OEM, so Stealth gets my money.

Well, I just got the following reply from Invisihitch:

"We don't have any hitches for the V90 yet, it is on our development list though. I will email you when they are available. Thank you for your interest!"

She ignored my questions about the differences between invisihitch and stealthhitch product lines!

Please see post #14 forward on this thread ... https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post6374482. My concern is that Stealthhitch has a cheaper design ... "You will never see an OEM hitch that takes this approach -- wedging a steel beam into the crumple gap between the crush bumper and the chassis. Doing so eliminates crumpling." Also note that Invisihitch is an OEM producer for some brands.

I don't need a hitch until later this year so will wait to see what they come out with. But I hear ya, if you need a hitch now at least you have a choice!
      Last edited by nquery; 05-02-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Stealth Hitch and Invisihitch are 2 separate companies. From what I've seen, Steve at Stealth used to work at Invisihitch and their parting may not have been amicable. It's hard to say since I haven't seen any pics of the Stealthhitch installed but the key difference based on their installation instructions is that their bar fits underneath the factory crash bar. What that means is that there is potentially reduced crumple zone in an accident since there is now additional metal behind the bumper. Forces that may have dissipated with the crumple zone may now be transferred to the rest of the vehicle. Not sure if that translates to additional risk but that's what Invisihitch is referencing.

The Invisihitch replaces the factory crash bar and should provide the same crumple zones as OEM. They've now redesigned to version 2 which adds more protection along the bumper corners - similar to OEM. Originally they didn't have metal there so there were sensitive electronics behind the bumper without protection. I have version 1.0 without the additional material but it doesn't really bother me.

I think youíre talking about the XC90 hitch. Invisihitch doesnít have a V90 hitch yet. Iíve heard it was coming for months but nothing yet.

Iím not that concerned about the stealth changing the bumper as the real crumple zone is under the back where the hitch is attached. The stealth I believe can sit behind the crash bar, or the crash bar can be removedójust like the oem hitch, so I suspect a little fud going on. Maybe there will be some difference in low speed damage, but both hitches attach to the crumple zone, not the frame, so I suspect a higher speed hit where everything crumples will be similar. At least neither attaches underneath to the solid part of the unibody like Curtís and the like. Or maybe I donít know what Iím talking about and the owners can duke it out here, but I guess the lawyers might frown on that.

We apologize for the late response and are trying to be more active on Swedespeed!

Stealth Hitches and Invisihitch are two separate companies neither a knock-off of one from the other. There are design differences in our hitches. As for the previous concern ďwedging a steel beam into the crumple gap between the crush bumper and the chassis. Doing so eliminates crumplingĒ is a misconception of our hitch design. The original crash bumper is preserved with our design. Our steel hitch is install behind the bumper with ample distance, so it does not impede the crash bumperís ability to crumple and absorb the energy of the crash. We attach to the same points of the vehicle as Volvo does to protect the crumple zones. As the crash bumper is preserved, the corners of the vehicle are still protected as well.

Stealth hitch all installed on my V90CC and it looks greatóat least when you can see it. Lives up to the stealth name with absolutely nothing visible until you hook up either the square receiver or the two ball. Both attach very easily and lock securely with a simple button push. Unlock with the key and easily done without needing to get under the car.

Sure, not quite as convenient as the Volvo folding hitch, but it is still quick and easy, and well worth the increased utility of the square hitch. Volvo dealer charged about $200 to load the trailer programming, and install was about $290 at one of the local installers I found off the stealth site. The two attachments are quite solid and a bit heavy, and wonít fit under the rear cargo floor, but not a problem for me since I just leave them in the garage when Iím not using them. Very happy to be able to use my hitch bike rack once again.

If ya gotta go cheap I know 50K car THE CURT $180 is fine looks good! AND wow it is 2 inch reciever VOLVO haha no ball. HAd our volvo dealer put ours on today

One thing you notice right away when towing with the stealth is there is no clunking and jerking that you get with normal square receivers. The ball attachment is rock solid, removing the dynamic hits on the hitch, making it possible to easily tow at the Euro limit for the CC if so inclined. Also you donít lose any ground clearance and no unsightly hitch parts sticking out from under the CCís beautiful exterior when not in use. A permanent receiver is also going to get hit first in a rear ended, changing the way the car handles a hit. Sure the Curt is cheap, but the stealth is also a hell of a lot better in so many ways.

Yeah, it's hard to think why someone would try to save a few hundred on a $60k car Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Stealth hitch all installed on my V90CC and it looks greatóat least when you can see it. Lives up to the stealth name with absolutely nothing visible until you hook up either the square receiver or the two ball. Both attach very easily and lock securely with a simple button push. Unlock with the key and easily done without needing to get under the car.

Sure, not quite as convenient as the Volvo folding hitch, but it is still quick and easy, and well worth the increased utility of the square hitch. Volvo dealer charged about $200 to load the trailer programming, and install was about $290 at one of the local installers I found off the stealth site. The two attachments are quite solid and a bit heavy, and wonít fit under the rear cargo floor, but not a problem for me since I just leave them in the garage when Iím not using them. Very happy to be able to use my hitch bike rack once again.

Have you posted any pics of your setup? I couldn't find any.

[QUOTE=Teleman;6972114]. The ball attachment is rock solid

Would you please advise what the height of the top of the ball is (from ground to top of ball) when the hitch is deployed.
      thank you.
      2018 V90 T6 RD Passion Red, Amber, Polestar

Iíll get some pics up if I can. You can order different height ball attachments. I got the standard which is 18 inches off the ground and it works fine for my boat trailers.

I installed a Steal Hitch combo package on my MY19 V90CC. I've not had a chance to use it, but the build quality is excellent. I only plan to tow a small landscape debris trailer, as well as install my 4-bike rack. Here are some pics of the installation: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0eGd59qiGKrO1O

Thanks.

I hauled around 4 bikes on a SoftRide bike rack using the Stealth Hitch - no issues - rock solid. I added some pics to the album: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0eGd59qiGKrO1O

Thanks.

Wonder how these racks would handle my e-bike, which weights slightly over 50 lbs. It fits nicely in the back of the V90 with the rear seats down. But might consider the option if I had more than one passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD1 View Post
      Wonder how these racks would handle my e-bike, which weights slightly over 50 lbs. It fits nicely in the back of the V90 with the rear seats down. But might consider the option if I had more than one passenger.

A single 50-lb bike would be no problem at all. We do a 4-bike swinging Yakima hitch rack, which itself is quite heavy, and 3-4 bikes without issue. I've hauled our fat bikes, which are ~25-32 lbs, without incident.

The Stealth Hitch has been awesome and was worth the money. I don't actually care about the stealth factor - I leave the hitch on all the time - but the thing is very well-made. The ability to have a Class III hitch, and therefore be able to carry heavy bikes or a 4-bike rack, was a big factor in us going for the V90CC over other wagon alternatives.

I wouldn't recommend leaving the hitch attachment on all the time. If you're in even a light rear ender you risk some pretty serious frame damage if the hit goes into the hitch. Didn't happen to my volvo, but I have unpleasant experience in this area.

I wouldn't recommend leaving the hitch attachment on all the time. If you're in even a light rear ender you risk some pretty serious frame damage if the hit goes into the hitch. Didn't happen to my volvo, but I have unpleasant experience in this area.
      Wouldn't this concern apply to all trailer hitches generally?

Yes, it would. There are even some lawyers who specialize in lawsuits against hitches that transmit force right to the frame/passengers for poorly designed add-ons. And there are some states where itís not legal to leave a tow ball in the hitch if itís not being used. The stealth is nice because when itís not in use, thereís nothing sticking out and your bumper can do its job protecting the rest of the car. Some other hitches, even without a tow ball in, will cause a lot of damage if hit directly from the rear.

Has anyone else had issues when having the Tow Control Module programmed following installation of their Stealth Hitch on a 2018 Volvo V90 CC? I've been to 2 dealerships and both of them are stating the process fails before completion do to a supposed incompatibility issue. This is very frustrating considering I've had the hitch for 18 months now and I can only use it for my bike rack. Anyway, if anyone can comment on the actual SW part # that was used for programming their module it would be greatly appreciated as Steve at Stealth just keeps saying to use the 4/7 pin version, but to make sure it's not the one required for the Volvo foldable hitch. Help please!!!!

I wonder if this would fit a S90?
      2017 S90 Inscription (daily)
      2016 S60CC (next generation Volvo driver)
      2017 XC90 Momentum Plus (family)

Previous:
      2019 XC40 R-Design T5 AWD, 2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD , 2018 V60 Polestar #103/1500, 2016 XC90 R-Design, 2013 C30 Polestar #141/250,2015.5 V60 R-Design,1998 V70 T5M, 1999 S70 GLT, 2000 V70R, 2004 V70R, 2006 V70R Sonic Blue, 2006 V70R Electric Silver, 2007 V70R Passion Red, 2003 XC90 2.5T, 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Electric Silver, 2007 XC90 Sport V8, Passion Red

Quote Originally Posted by Jgwilson23 View Post
      Has anyone else had issues when having the Tow Control Module programmed following installation of their Stealth Hitch on a 2018 Volvo V90 CC? I've been to 2 dealerships and both of them are stating the process fails before completion do to a supposed incompatibility issue. This is very frustrating considering I've had the hitch for 18 months now and I can only use it for my bike rack. Anyway, if anyone can comment on the actual SW part # that was used for programming their module it would be greatly appreciated as Steve at Stealth just keeps saying to use the 4/7 pin version, but to make sure it's not the one required for the Volvo foldable hitch. Help please!!!!
      I have an appointment on Monday with my local dealer. I just told them it's the same software used on the XC60 for the tow hitch. The service advisor did not seem to blink and said no problem. I'll let you know what I find. It will be very disappointing if I cannot use this hitch for towing.

V90 Programming

Quote Originally Posted by krenekj View Post
      I have an appointment on Monday with my local dealer. I just told them it's the same software used on the XC60 for the tow hitch. The service advisor did not seem to blink and said no problem. I'll let you know what I find. It will be very disappointing if I cannot use this hitch for towing.
      Since the Stealth Hitch is detachable, it does not use the same module or software as the factory V90 deployable hitch. We use the same module/software as the XC vehicles. Your Volvo dealer should choose software titled "Towing Hook 4-7 Pole Application", part number 31435638. The local Volvo dealer near our facility and other locations have programmed many without issue. Please call us (678-714-3592) with questions.

Best Regards,

Steve
      Stealth Hitches

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast