Color my S80
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Color my S80

Color my S80

Iíve a Nautica Blue 2001 S80. Iíve liked the color ever since I bought it. But, I bought a body shop, and since money is no object, what color would you paint your S80? My last full body color change was a pontiac T37 from forest green to a sky blue that absolutely glowed in the dark it as so bright and light. Iím red/green blind so nuanced color is not my style - no red, or anything with red, or green, brown, purple, pink, etc... Itís got to be loud and in your face to keep me happy. Two tones, stripes, and maybe even flames are acceptable - just nothing stupid like a commercial brand decal.

Any thoughts?
      S80 T6 2001 IPD Tune w/torque delete, Ferrita Dual 2.5" DP/CB 3" exhaust, Volvo Tranny cooler, Bilstein HD's, H&R Springs, IPD Anti-swaybars, IPD End-links, IPD Skid Plate, AEM Water/Methanol kit, IPD Lower Tranny Mount, Ultra Racing Front & Rear Strut Tower Braces, and Front and Rear undercarriage braces, Heico Front Spoilers, 17x8 R Pegs, R Calipers and Rotors, Front Girodisc, 5 & 10 mm H&R spacers, etc...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Banner Advertiser George @ ViVA's Avatar
      Woah, you bought a body shop, congrats!! Email me details, I've got some business for you
      How about Polestar Blue? Or even Bursting Blue?

Hey hey George! Glad to here from you! Iíll send you some pictures soon. Still getting the place up to speed and spent time taking pictures yet :-) so much to do!
      S80 T6 2001 IPD Tune w/torque delete, Ferrita Dual 2.5" DP/CB 3" exhaust, Volvo Tranny cooler, Bilstein HD's, H&R Springs, IPD Anti-swaybars, IPD End-links, IPD Skid Plate, AEM Water/Methanol kit, IPD Lower Tranny Mount, Ultra Racing Front & Rear Strut Tower Braces, and Front and Rear undercarriage braces, Heico Front Spoilers, 17x8 R Pegs, R Calipers and Rotors, Front Girodisc, 5 & 10 mm H&R spacers, etc...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

This is what the T37 looked like. Unfortunately itís a camera phone shot of a 37 year old photo, so the color is way off. In real life it glowed. Yeah, I ripped the under body below the door in my friends driveway. Who the Fck puts an 8 inch high rock wall around their driveway? Sheesh!

53E945E3-7BEF-420E-98AA-AD520592B495.jpg

This is the type of color Iím looking for; bright, primary.

C8FB3659-B6D5-4852-B3C7-7837DCA6045A.jpeg

I like the Polestar and Bursting Blue colors!

Two tone Saffron (top) with sonic blue (bottom)
      2004 C70 T5 AT vert 77k Black Sapphire
      2004 V70R GT 144K Silver/Nordkap
      2005 S60R M66 151k Passion/Nordkap
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport 215k Passion Red

Interesting combination 91shelby :-)

I found the my T37 color on a guitar - with the help of my wife who remembers the color too. Not being good with color, I have to ask her for help. So, this is as close to what I can find for the blue I loved before

3836A756-8125-47EC-B800-811D227560F2.jpeg

Is this the Saffron youíre talk about?

F60A8063-0463-4FB2-8BEC-C428C6C149B8.jpeg

Unfortunately, there is no standard color calibration for internet devices, so many of these nuanced color examples are to some extent futile... but it gives me ideas :-) I never thought of deep blue and saffron before, but then again light blue body with a green corduroy interior didnít impress me until I saw it either :-)

Keep Ďem coming!

Yeah close to that color, and metallic though lol. It sounds weird but I can imagine it might work out and look surprisingly well. I wouldn't mind trying it on my s80 The ash gold is just blah to me after awhile kinda reminds me of the late 90s Toyota Camrys at least on the s80 lol, looks okay on the XC70s though.

I am really starting to like your two tone saffron idea 91shelby.

Iím thinking the guitar blue on the bottom with saffron on top. The stock gray textured trim with the chrome accent, is replaced with the high gloss black style. The black tape appliquť over the front and back door window border was removed during my last paint job, so that would get saffron too. The only issue with trim changes are the rear view mirrors trim, the below door trim and the rear bumper wrap around are all molded as a single part with the paint body components. The side trim, top rear bumper and under the headlights are separate pieces and can be exchanged with the high glass variety from the post 2004 (?) models.

If worse came to worse, the hard parts, could be filled in and sanded smooth then painted over. But high gloss black shows surface imperfections .... perfectly!

George, I keep considering the bursting and polar blues, but being red/green blind makes them too reminiscent of my nautica blue. I know regular folks would not agree :-) but thatís what makes this harder for me. That and combinations that clash for normal vision donít for red/green blind, and vice versa. Consider yellow and blue clash for red/green vision, but red and green clash for normal vision. Luckily light blue and saffron donít clash for me.
      Last edited by SkyWriter; 05-05-2018 at 02:23 PM.

since you said no to polestar blue (swedish racing green?)... i would say do full saffron or flash green

probably looks weird if you are red/green blind :P
      Last edited by Racer_S; 05-12-2018 at 04:03 PM.
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Charcoal [230K] Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, 305mm brake upgrade, Full LED Exterior, 1-inch lift Pic
      2003 XC70 2.5T AWD Silver/Charcoal [180K] XeMODeX, Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, LED Headlights
      2004 S80 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Light Sand [240K] Bi-Xenon, LED Foglights, 07 Turbo and rear diff

I probably wouldnít see a difference between saffron and flash green. Itís hard to tell - saffron basically looks orange to me. TBH, after 5 forest green cars in a row in the 70ís Iím sick of the idea of green :-)

To give you an idea about R/G blindnesss; If you took a Ďcolor pickerí app and took any color and changed the red component from 100% to 0% I wouldnít see a difference at all. The green part is impossible to explain. So while normal people see millions of colors, of the 1,000 or so I see we wouldnít agree on more than 10 at most.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
      I am really starting to like your two tone saffron idea 91shelby.

Iím thinking the guitar blue on the bottom with saffron on top. The stock gray textured trim with the chrome accent, is replaced with the high gloss black style. The black tape appliquť over the front and back door window border was removed during my last paint job, so that would get saffron too. The only issue with trim changes are the rear view mirrors trim, the below door trim and the rear bumper wrap around are all molded as a single part with the paint body components. The side trim, top rear bumper and under the headlights are separate pieces and can be exchanged with the high glass variety from the post 2004 (?) models.

If worse came to worse, the hard parts, could be filled in and sanded smooth then painted over. But high gloss black shows surface imperfections .... perfectly!

George, I keep considering the bursting and polar blues, but being red/green blind makes them too reminiscent of my nautica blue. I know regular folks would not agree :-) but thatís what makes this harder for me. That and combinations that clash for normal vision donít for red/green blind, and vice versa. Consider yellow and blue clash for red/green vision, but red and green clash for normal vision. Luckily light blue and saffron donít clash for me.
      Dooo it! Then I might seriously consider having mine done. Unless you want to do mine as the tester? lol

Wow.

Wish I had the option of doing this.

My S80 (the 2nd gen) is the ugliest color I've ever seen on any car. Oyster Grey. I'd repaint it almost any other color, but the common wisdom is that changing the color of a car winds up being more money than it is ever worth...

Welp, itís been a while, and hereís the first picture after the bake cycle. Single stage 1984 Ford Robinís Egg Blue. Tough to find!
      3F87C1D8-EC11-4C34-9781-A68643D6882C.jpg

nice choice of color, cant wait to see it put back together and out in the sun!
      2004 XC70 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Charcoal [230K] Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, 305mm brake upgrade, Full LED Exterior, 1-inch lift Pic
      2003 XC70 2.5T AWD Silver/Charcoal [180K] XeMODeX, Mud Guards, 05- Wiper Arms, LED Headlights
      2004 S80 2.5T AWD Crystal Green Pearl/Light Sand [240K] Bi-Xenon, LED Foglights, 07 Turbo and rear diff

Love it!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
      Showing up at the track in mommy's old station wagon will not make you cool.
      Now 2011 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD Executive, Luxury Package. Multimedia Package. Premium Electric Silver/Soft Beige. 111K. (2011-)
      2011 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Inscription. Climate Package. Rear Park Assist Camera. Technology Package. Exterior Styling Kit. Premium Electric Silver/Sandsoft Beige. 99K. (2011-)

Then 2005 Volvo S40 2.4i. Sport Package. Climate Package. Convenience Package. Black/Dark Beige. (2005-2010)
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD. Premium Package. Versatility Package. Convenience Package. Climate Package. Titanium Gray Metallic/Light Taupe.(2005-2011)

My Photography Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lomaarts/

Iím very excited! Itís taken so long because revenue always comes first :-) but all the parts are waiting, and a set of gauges: AFR, Boost, EGT, M/W flow. And new speakers! Well relatively new... at least the suspension foam hasnít disintegrated!

@racer_s in the sun, itís blinding :-)

The first car I bought new (1983 Mercury Lynx) was that color.

Quote Originally Posted by albertj View Post
      The first car I bought new (1983 Mercury Lynx) was that color.
      Nice! :-) Trying to find some slack time to reassemble. Then get the finish buffing done. Very busy!

Welp, itís been a while! Funny how little time is left after the paying customers are finished :-)

Still lot of work left to do!

D59B3EA9-9AD1-45C4-BECC-3CE027448C94.jpg

Sweeeet!
      Did you remove all the black trim tape thingy around door windows? How did you do that if so , mine at stuck on tight.

I removed the black trim with an eraser wheel(s) on a corded drill w/ a side handle. This was a few years ago when it was my dd. It was very messy since I needed to roll the windows down to get the black trim off that wraps around the edges. I tried to use plastic painters drop liner but eraser waste w/trim still got into the car, so a good vacuum job is required.
      2015.5 XC60 T6 Flamenco Red/Sand, Platinum, Tech, Blis (coming soon)
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, Dynaudio/Nav, Climate, Blis - wifemobile
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, Dynamic Package - my dd
      2005 S60 2.5T Black/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Climate - son
      2004 S80 2.5T Pearl White/Sand, - daughter
      Previous: 2005 S60 T5, 1998 V70 T5, 1996 854 Platinum

Hi Kattten, you saw that? :-) I had those removed several years ago when I had my car first repaint (the original nautica blue). Another person removed it then.

Good idea beachnut! Mine was getting ripped, so I just had it removed altogether. The original paint is underneath too!

Love it man! Has to be the only one in the world this color

Still have my S80 but the rust is getting worse and a full respray is probably worth more than the car unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
      I removed the black trim with an eraser wheel(s) on a corded drill w/ a side handle. This was a few years ago when it was my dd. It was very messy since I needed to roll the windows down to get the black trim off that wraps around the edges. I tried to use plastic painters drop liner but eraser waste w/trim still got into the car, so a good vacuum job is required.
      Quote Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
      Hi Kattten, you saw that? 🙂 I had those removed several years ago when I had my car first repaint (the original nautica blue). Another person removed it then.

Good idea beachnut! Mine was getting ripped, so I just had it removed altogether. The original paint is underneath too!
      Thanks for the info 🙂

Yea I kinda like the body colored door frames 🙂. Mine is cracking and pealing so I might try and remove it. Eraserwheel sounds like a good idea. It will mess up the pain underneath right?

@kattten, we just use a heat gun to remove decals, bumper stickers, and sticky junk. Should work with the S80 window blackout. I had it removed with my original Nautic Blue. Looks even neater in Robins Egg!

Thanks @racer_s! I just canít part with the old girl. Still looking for projects. I think I missed the tranny window - canít find a vendor anymore. Got some gauges and some bad ideas on the back burner. :-)

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements