Blixt Begins! - 1996 Volvo 855 R Restoration
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Blixt Begins! - 1996 Volvo 855 R Restoration

About a week back, I was browsing the facebook marketplace (which is the only real thing I use facebook for anyways) and spotted a 1996 R estate for sale outside of chicago. I contacted the poster, and eventually spoke to the owner, who told me that I could have it this week for $400. Now, I don't know about you, but $400 between me and my dream car? Done. So I went to go pick it up and drove it back in the worst rainstorm I've seen in a decade. Because of all the lightning going on around us, I named it Brixt, which is the Swedish translation of lightning.

So, background information:

Blixt is a genuine 850 R with 157,xxx on the currently broken odometer. IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO PULL ACTUAL MILEAGE OFF A OBD II 850 PLEASE LET ME KNOW! He has some minor surface rust on two doors and the tailgate, probably a 6/10. His charcoal interior is in good condition, maybe a 7/10. As you can all see, at some point in his life he developed cleft-bumper, so my plan is to mount a GLT bumper on him for the time being. He has numerous mechanical boo-boos, but he runs and drives at the moment. I will admit that I have never dealt with one of these turbo cars so I am a bit frightened but willing to learn. He has a lifter tick, so any advice on that is also appreciated.

Here is all of the things I plan to do to him as the months go by. He will not be my daily driver, and I will be keeping him unregistered and uninsured until I fix him back to good mechanical condition, and he'll also get to live in my grandma's out garage during winter.

Things to be done:

- Brakes, check and replace all four sides pad and rotor wise, pulling slightly to left
      - Timing Belt, and all accessories
      - Full stage 0, and removal of that dumb K&N filter. If anyone has a top to a turbo airbox please let me know.
      - throttle cable and clean throttle body with upgrade to N/A throttlebody
      - Oil pan flush and re-gasket / seal
      - check turbo and replace all vacuum hoses, I will definitely need some help with basic turbo maintenance here
      - oxygen sensor, currently check engine light for it
      - exhaust, very loud and smelly right now, considering an IPD solution or stock which ever is better.
      - there's a dead spot in the steering, could use adjustment. Also steering wheel is out of alignment
      - Oil leak on back side of engine near transmission I noticed the day after buying, any idea? cam seals? rear main seal (gulp)?
      - climate control is blinking multiple times when car is first started, diagnose using vol-FCR
      - Identify and solve lifter tick, possibly change out lifters if necessary

But hey, the suspension is fine!

I know that's a lot, but this is my big fixer upper. This car has potential and I'm determined to see it through.

Here he is in his current, albeit fading, glory:

Brixt begins by Charles Conto, on Flickr

Video of the lifter tick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmQwnEE0oCI
      Last edited by CYB3RBYTE; 03-22-2019 at 09:52 AM.
      In the Garage
      Xena / 2006 XC90 V8 AWD, Onyx + Oak / 170,6xx /
      Viveka / 1996 850 N/A, Polar White + Oak / 128,5xx /
      Blixt / 1996 850 R, Polar White + Charcoal / 219,2xx /

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Brixt Begins! - 1996 855R Restore Thread

Awesome! Subscribed! I pulled the actual mileage off of my 96 with a lab top and elm327 cable. The instructions are online. Search for it and it should come up
      Last edited by volbro850; 05-04-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by volbro850 View Post
      Awesome! Subscribed! I pulled the actual mileage off of my 96 with a lab top and vag com cable. The instructions are online. Search for it and it should come up
      I've looked around and so far I've found nothing, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to mess around a bit with VOL-FCR. Do you remember how you did it?
      In the Garage

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Very cool car!

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by CYB3RBYTE View Post
      I've looked around and so far I've found nothing, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to mess around a bit with VOL-FCR. Do you remember how you did it?
      https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=56686

First off, good for you, Charles, and for taking it out of service to get it into running order. Cracks me up when folks think they can buy a cheap car and start using it as a full time daily. Best of luck to you. Looks like a good roller, sir. Oh and Iíve never heard a vehicle referenced as a male. Interesting .
      -Paul
      1998 OSD V70 T5M | M56H | Signal Red(601)/Tan(3960) | IPD susp | ARD Custom Tune | Delrin subframe bushings | Propus

Quote Originally Posted by 98v70t5man View Post
      First off, good for you, Charles, and for taking it out of service to get it into running order. Cracks me up when folks think they can buy a cheap car and start using it as a full time daily. Best of luck to you. Looks like a good roller, sir. Oh and Iíve never heard a vehicle referenced as a male. Interesting .
      Thanks! You said it best, better to have it on the roads when I've fully gone through it! And I just knew it was a he, just the car's attitude of "I can haul the groceries but also haul ass" makes it a he in my opinion!
      In the Garage

Plug the scanner into the OBDII port and you should get the codes.

Awesome, man! It seems you can't get away from that Polar White! It looks like you have a big project on your hands, but at $400.00, you can't go wrong. And, at least, the NA sedan has prepared you for the paint work. Best of luck on bringing it back!
      Current - 2000 V70R Venetian Red Pearl
      Past - 1998 V70 XC Emerald Green Metallic
      RIP - 1987 Mazda RX-7 White/Red (first car, many speeding tickets, blown rotary engine)

This is going to be great to watch. And itís in your color! Good for you, man. 400 bucks and a few hours of driving for something that cool? Iíd say done also!
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Lifter tick is oil starvation. I would tear it apart and drop the pan asap. Looks like a good restoration project especially for $400.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 201k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 292k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 174k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 240k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 215k - Sisters

Is it the o-rings in the oil pick-up that causes lifter tick most often?

Congrats on the new to you R - nice project.

You and JaredR have matching cars!

It's pretty easy to remove and repaint those trim strips that run from the roof down the windshield sides.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Is it the o-rings in the oil pick-up that causes lifter tick most often?

Congrats on the new to you R - nice project.

You and JaredR have matching cars!

It's pretty easy to remove and repaint those trim strips that run from the roof down the windshield sides.

These 2 o rings get sucked in or break causing low oil pressure.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 201k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned

So if it’s oil starvation, what should I looking at when I take the pan off for signs of other issues and how could I fix the tick? I’ve never opened an engine before besides my dad’s triumph.
      In the Garage

Congrats on the car Charles, you have a long road ahead of you but you are going to learn a ton while fixing this thing up!!

Things to be done:

- Brakes, check and replace all four sides pad and rotor wise, pulling slightly to left
      - Timing Belt, and all accessories
      - Full stage 0, and removal of that dumb K&N filter. If anyone has a top to a turbo airbox please let me know.
      - throttle cable and clean throttle body with upgrade to N/A throttlebody
      - Oil pan flush and re-gasket / seal
      - check turbo and replace all vacuum hoses, I will definitely need some help with basic turbo maintenance here
      - oxygen sensor, currently check engine light for it
      - exhaust, very loud and smelly right now, considering an IPD solution or stock which ever is better.
      - there's a dead spot in the steering, could use adjustment. Also steering wheel is out of alignment
      - Oil leak on back side of engine near transmission I noticed the day after buying, any idea? cam seals? rear main seal (gulp)?
      - climate control is blinking multiple times when car is first started, diagnose using vol-FCR
      - Identify and solve lifter tick, possibly change out lifters if necessary
      Pulling while braking is more likely related to the suspension and steering components. I had a pretty aggressive pull to the left while braking which did not go away after replacing all my brakes, but did go away after replacing control arms and tie rods. Same with the steering dead spot, that was related to worn strut bearing and strut bushings.

Hopefully your leak is not the rms. Do you know the state of the PCV?

So if itís oil starvation, what should I looking at when I take the pan off for signs of other issues and how could I fix the tick? Iíve never opened an engine before besides my dadís triumph.
      Some of the oil pan o-rings will likely be torn/collapsed/broken in some way. When that happens, it allows air to pass through and this reduces oil pressure. You can likely fix the tick by replacing the o-rings. You may want to service the oil cooler lines with all new seals and clipswhile you're in there as well (about $45 in parts). As for signs of other issues, you'll be able to see how clean the crankcase and oil pan are. Their cleanliness is likely an indicator of how frequently oil changes were done on this car. You'll want to clean out the oil pan as best as you possibly can regardless, if it's really bad you can take it to a place that has an ultrasonic parts cleaner

Example: oil pan and crankcase from my S70 at 260,000km, which got oil changes at an average of 8500km but saw a few 10,11, 12k changes. The oil pan o-rings were not in the best of shape

Vs oil pan and crankcase from my 850 at 240,000km which got oil changes around 5000km. Oil pan o-rings were still fully intact

New vs old o-rings from the 850 - the one seal broke while removing it
      Last edited by sventastic; 05-05-2018 at 01:05 PM.
      1996 854R | M56H | 16T | 264k

Quote Originally Posted by sventastic View Post
      Some of the oil pan o-rings will likely be torn/collapsed/broken in some way. When that happens, it allows air to pass through and this reduces oil pressure. You can likely fix the tick by replacing the o-rings. You may want to service the oil cooler lines with all new seals while you're in there as well (about $45 in parts). As for signs of other issues, you'll be able to see how clean the crankcase and oil pan are. Their cleanliness is likely an indicator of how frequently oil changes were done on this car. You'll want to clean out the oil pan as best as you possibly can regardless, if it's really bad you can take it to a place that has an ultrasonic parts cleaner
      I donít have a tick on mine or anything but this is one thing I havenít done to my car, might be worth doing (just because) I have replaced the seals to the oil cooler lines

Thanks sven! When you did your oil pan what did you clean it out with and how? I really hope itís an oil seal and nothing more than that. I will do the cooler lines as well, when I get the money . Iíve also heard using 10w-30 and a Mann filter, as I currently do on the N/A will help to reduce it?
      In the Garage

Thanks sven! When you did your oil pan what did you clean it out with and how? I really hope itís an oil seal and nothing more than that. I will do the cooler lines as well, when I get the money . Iíve also heard using 10w-30 and a Mann filter, as I currently do on the N/A will help to reduce it?
      You want to use 0w40 euro synthetic on turbo cars.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      You want to use 0w40 euro synthetic on turbo cars.
      Thanks for the advice, Will. Do you think if I change the oil and clean the pan properly then the tick should disappear eventually or do you think I have more work on my hands than that?
      In the Garage

Thanks for the advice, Will. Do you think if I change the oil and clean the pan properly then the tick should disappear eventually or do you think I have more work on my hands than that?
      Well it's a hydraulic lifter valve train. So one or more is stuck.

What I would actually do is run Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5w40 to wash and clean the engine. It's diesel oil.

Depending on how long the car was sitting before you got it, changing the oil first makes sense before dropping the pan, IMHO. Unless you know it was done recently, a $400 R probably has old oil in it.

Was it ticking even after driving it back to your house from picking it up? Reason I ask is that mine ticks quite a bit when I first start it up after it has been sitting for awhile, like several weeks. On mine the ticking goes away when I drive it and the oil pressure builds up or a sticking lifter is unstuck, not sure which, maybe both.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT

It stopped ticking or at least the ticking was quieter at highway speeds, and eventually by the time I got home it had become significantly quieter than before, which is a good sign. However when I started it and drove it to Oreilys to get a code read the next day it was still ticking loudly, starting to stumble (which could be the 02 sensor), and it started leaking oil near the transmission pretty good.
      In the Garage

Have you done the glove test yet to check for crankcase ventilation? Just don't want that apparent rear main seal leak to be due to a plugged PCV.

No, I have not yet checked the PCV. When we got the car it was really go go go because I had multiple job interviews the next day (to afford to fix this thing ). However I'm planning to replace it as it probably needs it. I would really like it to not be the rear main seal, but it almost looks to be too large of a leak for a RMS....
      In the Garage

No, I have not yet checked the PCV. When we got the car it was really go go go because I had multiple job interviews the next day (to afford to fix this thing ). However I'm planning to replace it as it probably needs it. I would really like it to not be the rear main seal, but it almost looks to be too large of a leak for a RMS....
      Too large of a leak? I always thought the rear main seal was the "large leak", lol.

Would be great if it was just the oil return line to the turbo as that's an easy fix but your description of location (between engine and transmission?) doesn't sound like it.

Too large of a leak? I always thought the rear main seal was the "large leak", lol.
      It is the largest seal on the engine...

If it's leaking, M56 swap!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post

If it's leaking, M56 swap!
      Because you'll have to be pulling everything apart anyway?

Remember, a turbo could be badly burning/leaking oil. As it pushes oil through the intercooler along with air and into the throttle body, the accumulated oil in the intercooler will seep out of the weep hole at the bottom of the intercooler and get thrown all over the engine. Many misdiagnose an oil leak. Small amounts of oil wonít show up at the tailpipe to suggest itís burning oil since much of it gets drops into the intercooler.
      -Paul
      1998 OSD V70 T5M | M56H | Signal Red(601)/Tan(3960) | IPD susp | ARD Custom Tune | Delrin subframe bushings | Propus

Because you'll have to be pulling everything apart anyway?
      All of the work to do a manual swap will be done to get to the RMS. Besides changing the pedals that is.

Do the PCV and drop the pan, get those seals done and clean out those PCV passages while you're in there. Or just RN/M56 swap it and throw it all in the scrap bin.
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 296k.
      1997 850R Estate. RN/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 136k.

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: COMING SOON! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 100k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k.

Would be great if it was just the oil return line to the turbo as that's an easy fix but your description of location (between engine and transmission?) doesn't sound like it.
      I would guess turbo return line as well, which would be nice. It's not smoking though, however it's missing a heat shield so I'm gonna guess that there is some neglect to the turbo. This leak did happen after I tried to give it the beans to test if it was making boost.

Also, former owner informed me that it has a IPD tune on it. Any identifying markers to tell if it does as I don't have a performance baseline for this car?
      In the Garage

I would guess turbo return line as well, which would be nice. It's not smoking though, however it's missing a heat shield so I'm gonna guess that there is some neglect to the turbo. This leak did happen after I tried to give it the beans to test if it was making boost.

Also, former owner informed me that it has a IPD tune on it. Any identifying markers to tell if it does as I don't have a performance baseline for this car?
      Get a R ecu and swap it. If your performance, fuel economy and drivability improve then it had an ipd tune. Ipd had tunes done by mte and they were ard levels of garbage. I think your post of the original sale ad specified a speedtuning ecu. Either way you want to start from stock.

heat shield missing would indicate the opposite to me; no reason to ever mess with that unless you're doing work on the turbo

the assumption is still that turbo needs to be serviced/rebuilt until proven otherwise, though
      Last edited by JaredR; 05-06-2018 at 08:01 PM.
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 296k.
      1997 850R Estate. RN/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 136k.

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: COMING SOON! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 100k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k.

The return line leaking would not lead to smoking - not sure if you were inferring that or not. Your turbo may be perfectly fine - there is a wealth of information here and elsewhere on the internet to fault trace boosting issues or pretty much any problem you're dealing with. Good luck with it - it's a great project, I'm a little jealous!

Thanks for the info Wayne and Jared. I’m down by my house today so I’m gonna try and trace the oil leak before my big round of final exams starting tomorrow.

Does anyone have an R ECU or a cover for the top of the air filter? I’m not happy with this K&N cone filter and I’d like to go back to stock. I just don’t have access to a turbo air box....
      In the Garage

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast