Blixt Begins! - 1996 Volvo 855 R Restoration - Page 5
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Post 135 above shows the condition of his current bumper.

Replacements are really hard to find so kudos!
      I guess I’m just used to looking at my 1996 bumper and forgot how beautiful it used to look. So glad you found this! I take it you can make this new found one look better than you could make the old one look?

Nora in Florida
      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Nora in Florida

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OlRedHair View Post
      I take it you can make this new found one look better than you could make the old one look?
      Yes, it's much easier to start with a bumper that's in good condition and then refurbish it with a different cover and paint and such.

I'm still looking for that cargo net cover, if anyone finds one let me know!
      In the Garage
      Viveka / 1996 850 N/A, Polar White + Oak / 134,6xx /
      Blixt / 1996 850 R, Polar White + Charcoal / 219,6xx /

Update time! The car has been sitting in the garage winterized at the moment. As soon as the snow clears the first orders or business will be these items:

- Zimmerman rotors and Akebono pads all around. Hopefully none of the calipers are locked up. If they are, those will be replaced as well.

- Full stage zero, including air, cabin, and fuel filters. Unknown mileage on the timing belt and components, so that will be done as well.

- Alignment and possible replacement of drivers side tie rod end if necessary (previous owner included a new meyle HD one as he thought it needed it).

I would be doing 302's if I could afford it but for right now, this will be drivable.

The biggest current hurdle to getting this car on the road is INSURANCE. I'll be getting quotes in the coming weeks but if anyone has advice on someone they use who doesn't break the bank, then let me know.

This will all total to around $800 of work. My mother really wants me to sell this as she thinks it will prevent me from having an adult life , despite me not really putting money into the car for the past three months (minus the bumper). Any thoughts gents?
      In the Garage

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CYB3RBYTE View Post
      My mother really wants me to sell this as she thinks it will prevent me from having an adult life , despite me not really putting money into the car for the past three months (minus the bumper). Any thoughts gents?
      Don't let your mother to kill your dreams. Everything must be balanced.
      1999 V70 D5252T M56 - Nautic Blue/Graphite

Update time! The car has been sitting in the garage winterized at the moment. As soon as the snow clears the first orders or business will be these items:

- Zimmerman rotors and Akebono pads all around. Hopefully none of the calipers are locked up. If they are, those will be replaced as well.

- Full stage zero, including air, cabin, and fuel filters. Unknown mileage on the timing belt and components, so that will be done as well.

- Alignment and possible replacement of drivers side tie rod end if necessary (previous owner included a new meyle HD one as he thought it needed it).

I would be doing 302's if I could afford it but for right now, this will be drivable.
      Post an ISO ad for 302mm brackets and brake lines on that facebook group I showed you, "Volvo carts/cars for sale/wanted" I've gotten a lot of parts from there by just asking what people have. From my research (excluding sales/coupons) the FCP kit is the cheapest, minus the brackets and caliper springs, IPD is cheaper for those. You can rebuild the calipers if they're frozen too, there are write ups on Mathews Volvo Site I think. I really regret not going for 302's when I rebuilt my braking system.

If/when you do the timing belt verify you're getting the correct tensioner and idler pullies, at least for my V70 there's a VIN break, there probably isn't one for the R's if I has to guess. Aisin water pump with the metal blades is the kind to get (you probably know this) but I've had trouble with the paper gasket so I dab just a wee bit of RTV on the water pump side of the gasket to make it stick better, not the block side though. I've done 3 or 4 timing belts now so if you need help just let me know when you're doing it!

When you get your alignment done let me know where you went and how the experience was, I need to find a good alignment shop in Milwaukee that I can build a relationship with lol

The biggest current hurdle to getting this car on the road is INSURANCE. I'll be getting quotes in the coming weeks but if anyone has advice on someone they use who doesn't break the bank, then let me know.

This will all total to around $800 of work. My mother really wants me to sell this as she thinks it will prevent me from having an adult life , despite me not really putting money into the car for the past three months (minus the bumper). Any thoughts gents?
      If you decide to sell, please post here first. I already had an adult life. Now it’s time for some fun.

Nora in Florida
      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Nora in Florida

My mother really wants me to sell this as she thinks it will prevent me from having an adult life , despite me not really putting money into the car for the past three months (minus the bumper). Any thoughts gents?

Also please get 302s, grippy pads, and sticky tires so you don't crash your "adult life"......trust me on this one you're going to need it. I didn't and crashed. Thankfully not seriously but enough to wake me the hell up about brakes and tires. It's like an extra $120 to do 302s.
      Last edited by JaredR; 02-20-2019 at 08:58 AM.
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 296k.
      1997 850R Estate. RN/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 138k.

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 100k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Quote Originally Posted by Zoinks View Post
      When you get your alignment done let me know where you went and how the experience was, I need to find a good alignment shop in Milwaukee that I can build a relationship with lol
      I'm planning to have it done at the Chevrolet dealer I used to work at. They have really good equipment and the techs there knew what they were doing. I've had a shop in port Washington practically steal $90 from me once for a two wheel alignment they never got right.

If I ever do sell it (the short term answer is NO), it'll be to either someone from here or an enthusiast.

I think I'll go for the 302's. What parts do I all need besides bigger brackets and discs?
      In the Garage

I'm planning to have it done at the Chevrolet dealer I used to work at. They have really good equipment and the techs there knew what they were doing. I've had a shop in port Washington practically steal $90 from me once for a two wheel alignment they never got right.

If I ever do sell it (the short term answer is NO), it'll be to either someone from here or an enthusiast.

I think I'll go for the 302's. What parts do I all need besides bigger brackets and discs?
      Brake lines

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 100k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

And not akebono ceramics
      1996 854R | M56H | 16T | 266k

Quote Originally Posted by sventastic View Post
      And not akebono ceramics
      What pads should I get then? and why do I need brake lines? Are the stock ones not long enough (doh)?
      In the Garage

And not akebono ceramics
      ^^^^^^this

What pads should I get then? and why do I need brake lines? Are the stock ones not long enough (doh)?

Hawk or ATE. Remember dust and stopping power usually go together. Deal with the dust and buy a bottle of Sonax wheel cleaner. We currently have a set of Akebono on the NAm and we're not very happy with them; going to warranty them for ATE pads this spring. But hey even if we can't stop that well at least we have clean wheels! 🙄

Yeah the stock lines are too short. Everyone is using these https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...-steel-9191400
      remember Meyle sucks don't use those or anything else they make and the Volvo ones are $$$$

So I need those lines with the 280mm pads and 302mm rotors, or 302mm pads and rotors? Sorry if I'm being dense about this...
      Last edited by CYB3RBYTE; 02-21-2019 at 05:42 PM.
      In the Garage

The upgrade is to 302mm rotors, not 320mm. Yes you'll need those front brake lines that Jared linked. The great thing about this upgrade is that you use the same calipers and pads as your current 280mm rotors, which makes it inexpensive. The only things that need to change are the caliper brackets and the front brake soft lines. And you may as well get new pads so you know what's on there, and they'll bed in properly with new rotors. I can't remember if you've changed brake fluid in this car yet, but you'd want to do that too.

I have 20k on my Stoptech Sport performance pads now and have been really happy with them in all conditions. The problem with the akebonos is they don't have much bite, especially when cold. You want a pad that you can trust to bite hard when cold because that's when you'd typically have an emergency stop or braking event

To find the 302mm rotors on online parts stores you'll need to select your car as a '98-'00 C/S/V70. They won't show up if you're looking for an 850
      Last edited by sventastic; 02-21-2019 at 10:47 AM.

I used to use 2000 V70R in the parts lookups back in the day before I knew my way around VIDA.

Technically there is a 302mm specific pad but nobody makes it and it isn't enough different to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      I used to use 2000 V70R in the parts lookups back in the day before I knew my way around VIDA.

Technically there is a 302mm specific pad but nobody makes it and it isn't enough different to be a problem.
      Thanks for the ideas. Yeah I haven't flushed the brakes yet, but I will after the brake job. I'm just hoping that one of the calipers isn't stuck and won't delay the whole job. If I remember it pulled when braking to the left so it's probably a front passenger caliper I'll need too. Not sure if it was pulling to that side 100% though, it's been a while since I've driven it
      Last edited by CYB3RBYTE; 02-22-2019 at 02:25 PM.
      In the Garage

When I got my car, it pulled pretty hard to the right under braking and I thought it was a seized caliper too. And I did have a seized rear right caliper, which I replaced along with both of the fronts. Buuuut, the pull remained! It didn't go away until I replaced the control arms and inner and outer tie rods a few weeks later. Unfortunately I can't pinpoint which part was the culprit since I did all of them at the same time, but just a heads up that your caliper may not be the problem there.

I'd put my money on the pull being tie rod related. I had/have a pull on acceleration, replaced both control arms and ball joints, but only replaced one outer tie rod, and my pull is still there.

I'd put my money on the pull being tie rod related. I had/have a pull on acceleration, replaced both control arms and ball joints, but only replaced one outer tie rod, and my pull is still there.
      Luckily I have the new tie rod from when I purchased the car. I'll be ordering some parts for the car within a month, currently I have to pay off a new laptop for school with some goodies .

I recently put the car on facebook just as a testing the waters kind of deal, and several people contacted me right away, all from out of state and with offers on the low side, lol. Guess I'm keeping her for now!
      In the Garage

Quick question, the ATE pads for the 11" front brakes fit 302's correctly right?
      In the Garage

Correct! Those pads will work.

Do you know you specifically have one bad tie rod? Inner or outer?

What's the deal with the Akebono Ceramics? I believe those are what came with the 302mm kit I got from FCP and are what's on the car at the moment.

Judging by the negative comments their getting, they must be the reason why I never understood why the heck the 302mm was so popular. Maybe I need to switch em to actually feel a noticeable difference.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
      2004 Volvo S60R - SOLD - Elevate Body Kit, Tune, Downpipe and Exhaust, Snabb Intake.
      1997 Volvo 850R - 130K - 16t Angled, R Manifold, Maximizer OBX Downpipe and Exhaust, Snabb Intake, Snabb FMIC, Blue Injectors, Beust/Vast Tune, 302mm BBK, CherryTurbo Strutbrace, Do88 Silicone Hoses (All), Koni Sports Front & Rear, IPS Sways, H&R Springs, H&R rear 20mm spacers, Nokian zLine A/S 215/45/17. (Soon to be installed: S90 MAF, Quaife LSD, 7+7 hybrid K24, DW 900cc Injectors, DW200 Pump, e85. Then I'm done, I promise. Maybe.)

Correct! Those pads will work.

Do you know you specifically have one bad tie rod? Inner or outer?
      It's an outer rod, and I wasn't sure specifically he (previous owner) never said when I bought it.

I have the akebono's front and rear on my daily and they're alright, nice and easy bite point. However in cold weather, they take forever to heat up. I'll be switching in the future for that reason.
      In the Garage

Yeah you gotta get good pads for the 302s to be really good. We are running Akebonos on my dad's NAm right now and it's not very good. Putting pads that need to "warm up" on a street car just doesn't make any sense. If I'm cruising all day on the highway my brakes are never going to get hot. That seems like a problem to me.

Yeah you gotta get good pads for the 302s to be really good. We are running Akebonos on my dad's NAm right now and it's not very good. Putting pads that need to "warm up" on a street car just doesn't make any sense. If I'm cruising all day on the highway my brakes are never going to get hot. That seems like a problem to me.
      Yep don’t like the akebonos at all for daily driving. Had them on my wife’s old xc90 and they got removed and changed with Volvo pads that brake great. Just a lot of brake dust. The akebonos just produce light brown dust but do keep the wheels looking cleaner longer.

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
      2004 Volvo S60R - SOLD - Elevate Body Kit, Tune, Downpipe and Exhaust, Snabb Intake.
      1997 Volvo 850R - 130K - 16t Angled, R Manifold, Maximizer OBX Downpipe and Exhaust, Snabb Intake, Snabb FMIC, Blue Injectors, Beust/Vast Tune, 302mm BBK, CherryTurbo Strutbrace, Do88 Silicone Hoses (All), Koni Sports Front & Rear, IPS Sways, H&R Springs, H&R rear 20mm spacers, Nokian zLine A/S 215/45/17. (Soon to be installed: S90 MAF, Quaife LSD, 7+7 hybrid K24, DW 900cc Injectors, DW200 Pump, e85. Then I'm done, I promise. Maybe.)

Parts Cost

So I did the math folks, and it would come to around $908 with all the parts I need (minus exhaust) to get her back into great mechanical condition. I will be picking up a new driver's side backseat with a working cargo net cover and a better gauge cluster within a week or so for $120. Then she'll need an alignment for sure.

Due to peer pressure from my mother, I made a facebook post on a buy/sell Volvo only page to test the waters. People were nipping at $1,500 like crazy, but I started getting less and less responses once I raised that price to $2,000. A few here and there, but no one really seemed to understand it can't drive across the state without a proper tune-up and brake job.

So she's mine for the time to come. I need to see her through!!!

I'll start ordering parts come mid-April. Have to pay off my new laptop first (RIP wallet for computer science students).
      In the Garage

RIP wallet
      I just ironed out a refund issue the university hit me with, first time I ever dropped 5 figures on anything...

I saw everyone trying to eat it up for $1500, I even considered it lol! I'm currently trying to convince my parents to let me park that rad/tan 850r on the side of the house until summer. But my more intense internet digging showed that it looks to be in pretty rough shape cosmetically, which sucks because anything mechanical I could remedy. I should bring up the point that I can come visit more if the car is there too lol

What was included on that expensive parts list?
      1998 V70R Mystic Silver/Graphite
      1996 RN Swapped 854R Bright Red/Graphite

Past:
      1998 V70 NA/m Classic Red/Light Gray

What was included on that expensive parts list?
      Parts List Part 2 by CYB3RBYTE, on Flickr

Parts List Part 1 by CYB3RBYTE, on Flickr

I'm considering if I should buy it all at once or in areas of the car (brakes, engine, etc.).
      In the Garage

Just a heads up a pair of Genuine Volvo caliper brackets are $89.95 from IPD

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/9263...50-s70-v70-c70

Past:

Just a heads up a pair of Genuine Volvo caliper brackets are $89.95 from IPD

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/9263...50-s70-v70-c70
      And backordered nearly indefinitely since theyre NLA. Ive got a 00 R pair on hand for community emergencies lol.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 202k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 295k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 240k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 215k - Sisters

don't get a Continental timing belt

I'm currently trying to convince my parents to let me park that rad/tan 850r on the side of the house until summer. But my more intense internet digging showed that it looks to be in pretty rough shape cosmetically, which sucks because anything mechanical I could remedy. I should bring up the point that I can come visit more if the car is there too lol

Yeah there aren't really any cosmetically nice 850Rs for sale anymore in America. I haven't seen a nice red estate for sale here since I bought mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      And backordered nearly indefinitely since theyre NLA. Ive got a 00 R pair on hand for community emergencies lol.
      "Ships in about 60 business days" I see now....

Yeah there aren't really any cosmetically nice 850Rs for sale anymore in America. I haven't seen a nice red estate for sale here since I bought mine.
      On one hand I shouldn't buy a car to just sink money into it, but on the other hand I want it... But I need to keep my life realistic too, and a good reliable NA wagon is perfect for that

Past:

"Ships in about 60 business days" I see now....

On one hand I shouldn't buy a car to just sink money into it, but on the other hand I want it... But I need to keep my life realistic too, and a good reliable NA wagon is perfect for that
      Backordered. Normally these show up in a week. They have NA exhaust too
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 202k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 295k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 240k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 215k - Sisters

Yeah, don't follow my example if you don't want to complicate your life with cars. One toy car is pretty reasonable. But two toy cars and a T5M daily......uhhhh....what can I say, I didn't do it on purpose lol. And, oh yeah, there's that 4th one in Hounddogger's forest that I need to do something with .
      Last edited by JaredR; 03-07-2019 at 07:54 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast