Discounts gotten from dealers for an ordered XC90?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Discounts gotten from dealers for an ordered XC90?

I've been scouring inventories in my local area, as well as all over the country, and am not finding an XC90 with the options I want. So, I'm ready to order exactly what we want.

What discounts have people gotten when ordering an XC90? I figure I can ask all the local dealers from the comfort of my laptop without wasting everyone's time in person, but I wanted to know what to expect. I know people are getting a few grand off of in-stock vehicles, are people getting similar deals for new orders?

Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you are a Costco member, the Costco Volvo deal is back until July 2. You could ask around and see if a dealer is willing to accept Costco pricing for a custom order.

Side question for everyone- is there a reason that car dealers in general don't discount custom orders that much? You would think they would be willing to do it for minimal profit margin, as there is no inventory carrying cost. Perhaps custom orders don't count towards sales quotes?
      ’18 T6 Inscription in Osmium Gray | Conv package | B&W Sound | Air susp | HUD

LOL....because you are taking away a sale they could have made on an inventory vehicle.

this is why you search NATIONWIDE and find one configured the way you want on the lot.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Dealers don't want vehicles on their lots, though. That costs them money. Custom orders don't incur them that cost. And, either they take my order and make some profit, or I buy from another dealer, so they have no reason to be stubborn about not discounting. These are just my thoughts, not based on experience.

Unfortunately the Costco deal doesn't apply to the T8 model

Have you considered an OSD with a trip for two to Sweden???? Check out the Overseas Delivery section of SS and see what you think!!!
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

Quote Originally Posted by GregK View Post
      Have you considered an OSD with a trip for two to Sweden???? Check out the Overseas Delivery section of SS and see what you think!!!
      Yeah, we're mulling that over, it's a nice built-in discount too. We have two young kids and not sure we could make that work though. Wonder if you can get the OSD price and just have them deliver it to the loading dock themselves.

Got above seven percent off MSRP on a 2018 T8. Took delivery in late November 2017. With the heavy discounts I negotiated on accessories, extra warranty coverage etc, I was probably up at 8.5% or better discount. Then I got the Costco cash back. Beyond all that i did get back $5000 from the feds in taxes. Tidy deal overall. Not the lowest I have seen but I am OK with it.
      2018 XC90 T8 Inscription Denim Blue/Maroon Brown Leather
      2014 MB CLS550 Palladium Silver/ Black Sport Leather
      2015 MB GLK350 Polar White/ Sahara Beige MB Tex
      2005 Lexus SC430 Twilight Amethyst Pearl/ Ecru Leather

Any advice on what a fair price for extended warranty for 56k purchase (it’s an xc60)?

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      this is why you search NATIONWIDE and find one configured the way you want on the lot.
      So if you find a specific one you want across the country, do you work with that distant dealership and pay to have it shipped to you locally? Or do you visit your local dealership and request that they work something out to get that exact car to the local dealership?

yes you ship it. your local dealer will rarely work with another dealer unless they are close and have something the other dealer wants to trade for. you usually save little money on such a deal.

where I'm at, I can get most cars shipped to me for $600 from most places in the country. My XC came from South Carolina.
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Quote Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
      Yeah, we're mulling that over, it's a nice built-in discount too. We have two young kids and not sure we could make that work though. Wonder if you can get the OSD price and just have them deliver it to the loading dock themselves.
      I believe one of the legal requirements for OSD is you have to personally sign documents and take possession of the keys before the car can be considered a used vehicle per customs regulations. I’ve heard some folks have flown over, taken possession then flown back the following day.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
      I believe one of the legal requirements for OSD is you have to personally sign documents and take possession of the keys before the car can be considered a used vehicle per customs regulations. I’ve heard some folks have flown over, taken possession then flown back the following day.
      that would be a horrible way to OSD....
      2006 Passion Red S60R

Quote Originally Posted by GoBlue99 View Post
      If you are a Costco member, the Costco Volvo deal is back until July 2. You could ask around and see if a dealer is willing to accept Costco pricing for a custom order.
      Are you eligible for A-Plan through work?

Also curious - anyone know how the Cosco deal compares to A-Plan?
      2016 XC90 Inscription: Bright Silver Metallic, charcoal interior, w/ Vision, Convenience (traded in 6/2018)
      2018 Acura MDX Advance Sport Hybrid
      2005 F-150 King Ranch
      2001 Audi TT

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      that would be a horrible way to OSD....
      Total agreement, but hear it’s been done...

We got lucky with OSD for our V90, about 4 weeks before we ordered the base price on T6 Inscription dropped about $5600. Combined with the slightly better pricing our total savings was $6700. Sometimes it’s good to be lucky.

Seventeen days to delivery in Göteborg!

Quote Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
      While OSD is a fixed non-negotiable ~8% discount on the base model vs MSRP (while A-plan is 6% but without any incentives added yet), folks really do OSD for the experience which, after adding up all the expenses, is by no means better priced than a custom order or finding a car off a dealer's lot - unless only two travellers (and only two) stay one night, take delivery (must be in-person), and leave the next day. Expenses associated with travelling with more than 2 folks and/or staying longer eat away at any OSD savings.

We are doing OSD with 2 kids this summer and here's the scoop: Volvo will pay for two people's plane tix round trip in premium economy class, and we chose the two adult fares because they're most expensive. Kids < 2yo pay 10% of the adult fares and kids > 2yo pay 80% of the adult fare. To give some data, one SAS airline premium economy summer adult ticket is $1000 from the USA.

There's no way we're travelling across the pond to stay just one night in Europe in the middle of summer. So extra nights at the Clarion Post (if you so choose) are about $215/night not including extras like cribs, sofa sleepers, etc.

Assume about an average of $30/breakfast + $50/lunch + $70/dinner for a family of four or about $150/day for meals.

That's about $400/extra day, in Gothenburg at least.

Total OSD cost would be airfare for the kids + $400/extra day in Gothenberg + any other extras (gas, admission/tour tickets, subway or train tickets, ferries, etc).

So traveling with with 2 kids > 2yo and staying 10 extra days in Gothenburg (or Europe) would be around $5600 = 2*$800 airfare + 10*$400 hotel + food. If the car is $70k the 8% OSD discount would be $5600.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your order!
      Last edited by likeXC90; 05-08-2018 at 10:52 PM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

We went into the dealership with a list of options we wanted. They tried to push a car they had on the lot on us (with heavy discounts) but we eventually decided to get up and leave. That's when they told us that they would find the car with our options by cherry picking cars right off the port (with our list of options). A couple days later, they told me they were just going to order the car with our desired options and gave us a end of June time frame. The key for us was that we were able to get the dealership to honor the same discount on the car on the lot they were pushing on us. We signed the papers a couple of weeks ago and are eagerly ticking the days off the calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by MacHead View Post

Also curious - anyone know how the Cosco deal compares to A-Plan?
      Same deal. Costco gives you an additional $750 rebate plus a $250 gift card.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      While OSD is a fixed non-negotiable ~8% discount on the base model vs MSRP (while A-plan is 6% but without any incentives added yet), folks really do OSD for the experience which, after adding up all the expenses, is by no means better priced than a custom order or finding a car off a dealer's lot - unless only two travellers (and only two) stay one night, take delivery (must be in-person), and leave the next day. Expenses associated with travelling with more than 2 folks and/or staying longer eat away at any OSD savings.
      With OSD, you also forego the $995 destination charge. And you are correct; OSD is not all about what discount you can get, it's an amazing trip and an amazing way to buy a new car.
      To give some data, one SAS airline premium economy summer adult ticket is $1000 from the USA.
      Not even close...that is the average SAS Go (a.k.a. Economy) price for a R/T ticket to Europe in the Summer, if you are lucky. Typically, you will pay anywhere from $900 to $1,400 (West Coast departure). Premium Economy tickets (in the summer) cost anywhere from $1,800 to $2,150 (ask me how I know... ) --> worth every penny!

There's no way we're travelling across the pond to stay just one night in Europe in the middle of summer. So extra nights at the Clarion Post (if you so choose) are about $215/night not including extras like cribs, sofa sleepers, etc.
      Kids or no kids, that would be insane!
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Our extra nights at the Post are 169.50 (thanks TravCorp), which I think is fairly reasonable for 4700 miles from home...lol.

I realize that OSD doesn’t work for everyone, for us it wasn’t just the “savings”, but the opportunity for an adventure. We’re getting over and back on Volvo’s dime, and on our own doing an 8 day Viking cruise down the Rhine from Switzerland to Amsterdam.

Plus, the car we are getting is only available in the US by OSD or custom order. (Yes, I know this is an XC90 thread, so realize I’m a bit off topic here... ) But if I have to wait for a V90 custom order, I might just as well travel for a vacation and see the sights.

YMMV!

Cheers!
      Last edited by SeabeckS; 05-09-2018 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Not even close...that is the average SAS Go (a.k.a. Economy) price for a R/T ticket to Europe in the Summer, if you are lucky. Typically, you will pay anywhere from $900 to $1,400 (West Coast departure). Premium Economy tickets (in the summer) cost anywhere from $1,800 to $2,150 (ask me how I know... ) --> worth every penny!
      I am wrong - my premium economy (PlusSaver ie fixed date) adult ticket for July travel (through Volvo corporate travel) in the beginning of April cost $1500 round trip from the USA east coast. Airline fares of course change by the microsecond so YMMV!

(You are correct, I pulled that $1000 number incorrectly from the EconomyGo section of my comparison spreadsheet.)

So traveling with with 2 kids > 2yo and staying 8 extra days in Gothenburg (or Europe) would be around $5600 = 2*0.8*$1500 airfare + 8*$400 hotel + food. If the car is $70k the 8% OSD discount would be $5600

Thanks for the correction!
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

You can also combine with any Volvo promotions I believe. So right now there is $2k dealer allowance so you would get that on top of the invoice price + $750 + $250 card.

You can also combine with any Volvo promotions I believe. So right now there is $2k dealer allowance so you would get that on top of the invoice price + $750 + $250 card.
      Thank you GrecianVolvo and GoBlue99.
      2016 XC90 Inscription: Bright Silver Metallic, charcoal interior, w/ Vision, Convenience (traded in 6/2018)
      2018 Acura MDX Advance Sport Hybrid
      2005 F-150 King Ranch
      2001 Audi TT

Costco doesn't have any deal for the T8 models, sadly.

I definitely need to order my XC90, I want the air suspension and a few select options, and have spent a few hours checking zip codes all over the country and it just doesn't exist here. I test drove one locally, I'll see if I can't get the dealer to discount a custom order down to invoice pricing. I wish I could get a discount for Costco, or A-Line (I'm self-employed) but that doesn't look possible.

I special ordered my T8 and got very little "deal" on the price. The dealer gave me a very high value on my trade instead.

I special ordered for the same reason noted above...I could not find one with the option combination in R-design trim. Actually at the time there were only 2 T8 R-designs in the country on dealer lots (this was fall 2017).
      Dailys: 2015 S60 T6 R-Design w/ Polestar - Passion Red / 2019 Ford F-150 Raptor / 2019 VW Golf R 6MT (On order)
      Fun: 2004 Porsche 911 GT3 (Trailered track monster)
      Prior Cars of Note - 2018 XC90 T8 RD, 2013 C70, 2004 V40, 2005 Lotus Elise S/C, 2003 Porsche 911 C2, 1982 Porsche 911SC, 1995 Range Rover County LWB, 1964 Corvair Spyder convertible, A Bunch of Saabs
      Quote: "Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers" -Colin McRae

When I looked at the last (USA) holiday related Volvo promotion for President's Day (2018 Feb) i believe the XC90 T8 was exempt, ie no discounts for the Northeast. A-plan XC90 discounts were also larger for T5 and T6 but smallest for T8 if I remember correctly. (Please correct me if I am wrong, I didn't store the data.)

The one thing that is certain is the T8 gets the $5000 USA hybrid vehicle tax credit and your state may also have a tax credit (not to mention also electric vehicle license plates).

Grecian,
      Do we have to take delivery before July 2nd for the Costco offer, or would it work if we put in our order before July 2nd with delivery coming later?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoxc90 View Post
      Grecian,
      Do we have to take delivery before July 2nd for the Costco offer, or would it work if we put in our order before July 2nd with delivery coming later?

Thanks!
      I called Costco today and they said you have to take delivery of the car by July 2 to qualify. So she said you cannot custom order. She also did confirm you get any national Volvo discount on top of the Costco pricing. So for example, you also get the $2k Volvo allowance until 5/31. Not sure what the Volvo promotion for June will be.

Also, you get a coupon for 50% off accessories at the dealership.

I wonder if you can use that coupon without buying a car? I'm going to be buying a T8 which they don't have a Costco deal on, but I'd love half off some accessories!

I called Costco today and they said you have to take delivery of the car by July 2 to qualify. So she said you cannot custom order. She also did confirm you get any national Volvo discount on top of the Costco pricing. So for example, you also get the $2k Volvo allowance until 5/31. Not sure what the Volvo promotion for June will be.

Thanks for the information!

32. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements