low oil message - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: low oil message

So what is the conclusion/fix of the "Low Oil Level"? What is the fix?

I have been getting this message in my 2007 Xc90 V8 Sport for the last weeks and did the oil change yesterday and the message came back minutes from driving out of the dealer.

Does the Sensor change would take care of this.

Appreciate any feedback.
      -----------------------------------------------
      Current: 2009 XC90 3.2 and 2007 XC90 V8 R
      Past: 2006 XC90 V8

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This happens occasionally with my 2007 V8. I go approximately 5,000 miles between synthetic oil changes and find the light comes on after a few thousand. Add 1/4-1/2 quart if the light goes on between changes and no more issues for me.
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport -- Passion Red Swedish Rocketship
      Moose plates with LED license plate lights, LED city lights and side markers

2006 S40 T5 AWD --Silver Metallic w/black interior--Volvo roof rack--
      LED license plate lights and LED city lights--Volvo sport pedals - SOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by avjms99 View Post
      I have been getting this message in my 2007 Xc90 V8 Sport for the last weeks and did the oil change yesterday and the message came back minutes from driving out of the dealer.
      When was the last time you checked the oil level?
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 171,000 miles and counting...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
      When was the last time you checked the oil level?
      As I was saying, I just had oil change yesterday at the dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a theory here but I had it happen on my 3.2.

A friend was borrowing my xc90 and so I quickly did an oil change. About t300 miles doing highway miles she ran into the low light message. I wasn’t around when she called. She got paranoid and thought she smelled burning. After another 30 mins the light went away.

I learned all this through multiple voicemails she left in my phone. When I called her back I had her check the dip stick and it was in the safe level.

How does the sensor near the housing work? One common reoccurrence here is the oil change. And I do remember that since I was in a hurry, I dripped some oil taking out the fuel filter and didn’t clean it up. Could external oil somehow set of the oil warning sensor?

2010 xc90 3.2 using Tapatalk
      2010 XC90 3.2 AWD
      Somewhere in space and time

Quote Originally Posted by avjms99 View Post
      As I was saying, I just had oil change yesterday at the dealer
      Yeah, and, when the warning popped up, did you check the level? I had a friend who ignored the oil pressure light since he'd just had the oil changed. Cost him the engine. (But I got the car for cheap. It was the first Saab 99 Turbo imported into the US. Unfortunately, after the oil incident, it didn't have "matching numbers" any longer.)
      John C
      ---------------------

I would agree with John C on this. Did you confirm the oil level after the dealership changed the oil? Typically with quick oil changes, the newer techs are the ones to complete them. They might not have the experience and could underfill the engine. You could also go back to the dealership and have them top off the oil for no charge if it was underfilled.

If the oil level is correct, then you could start to look at the oil level sensor.
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 143k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

About the XC90 3.2 - The good, the bad, and the ugly
      Strut Recommendations based on your specific XC90
      Upgrade front end rebuild with OEM, aftermarket, and original parts
      The better transmission JWS 3309/T-IV fluid for your 5 or 6 speed
      Why it's better to use synthetic oil instead of conventional

Just wanted to provide you with an update. So I have been driving almost a week since I had an oil change, and the Message only appeared a couple of times. Since Tuesday, I the message "Low Oil Level" have not shown anymore. Would be correct to say the sensor is cleaned itself up with the new oil

Mine started this nonsense this week. Completely random. Topped it off just to be sure. We will see how it goes. Anyone successfully removed and cleaned the sensor?
      2010 XC90 V8 - 113k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

I had this issue too with my 2008 S80 3.2. I ended up topping it off and it went away but still comes up now and then due to the car eating a lot of oil for some reason (no leaks).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happened twice today, and saw it once a couple weeks back. Same general area with an incline and I'm adding a reasonable amount of gas in a relatively short period of time. Oil just a tad under checkered top on the dipstick. Added a pint and if you see another post on this again from me, it'll be after replacing the sensor. Oil change on a V8 takes 7.1 qts, min to max on the dipstick is 1.3 qts. (6.7l, 1.2l)

* See https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Low-Oil-Light for another discussion on this, looks like I was quoting VIDA more fully then on how the sensor works.
      Last edited by ggleavitt; 11-23-2019 at 10:08 PM. Reason: * add link for another "same" thread
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 198k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 127k

tldr just add oil

So story time once right before a family road trip I decided to change oil. Should be a low risk operation right? I’ve changed oil at least 4 times on this car by then. So I changed the oil, measured too. It drained out just under 7L and I’ve poured in 6L (coz that’s the size my Castrol came in), I then measure 1L to pour in from some previously opened oil.

I fired it up no message, I took it out for my usual 5mins drive around my hilly area and everything’s fine, I went to sleep happily knowing the road trip will start with fresh oil in her.

Next morning we got up at 5am because traffic is that bad around here. We drove through neighbourhoods for around 15mins then got on the highway and head south.

The low oil light came on. By this time I’ve driven at highway speed for 45mins. Which to me just don’t make sense, but no matter I brought oil just for this! I’ve filled up my one litre bottle before I head out; some habit from owning a bmw.

I quickly stopped on the shoulder where it’s flat and gingerly tipped in half a bottle. Got back in the car error message gone. We then resume our trip. Within 10mins, the light came on again on a straight flat piece of road.

I laughed at myself for second guessing the wise engineers at Volvo and tipped the rest of the bottle in.

We got on our way.

Bing! Another low oil message around 15mins later. By now I’m getting a bit panicky. I wondered if the bolts loose? I did use a new gasket as well perhaps that one was defective? Did I torque it down right? And the damn undercover is probably soaked in oil!

I drove with every thought for 3mins or so before I saw a service station. I pulled over into the service station and bought another litre of engine oil. This was no time to care about the price. By now the kids are awake and I was on all fours checking below the car. Looks dry. I stuck my finger in the metal part of the undercover; dry too. So I tipped yet another half a bottle in.

Turn the key on and the message was gone, we kept going and the error stayed off the entire 5000km of road trip and I still don’t know what happened.

I have a sneaky suspicion that perhaps the oil may have had a lot of moisture and just got burnt up during the long drive? But I tried mixing engine oil with water and they literally can’t hold more than 2% of water by weight. Anyways that’s my story with low oil message.
      2011 XC90 B8444S R-Design 614 120k km RHD

Did you check the oil before you added more?

My 3.2 burns some oil. When the light comes on, I add a quart and it stays off, lately for about 2000 miles, until it again reaches the bottom of the hash marks on the dip stick.

A quart of water in your crankcase would make your oil look like coffee with extra cream and ruin the engine in short order., No way that was what you saw. More likely you somehow ended up about 2 quarts short on your initial fill.

One thing I've seen twice, on engines with dry timing belts, is plugged oil return passages. the oil gets pumped to the top end and can't drain back fast enough, so the level shows low. I doubt that's your problem, though.
      John C
      ---------------------

I have to confess, I can't for the life of me read the oil level stick. It is always covered with oil when I try to stick it back down. So you might be right about some passage being blocked somewhere?

Get a paper towel. Pull the stick out. Wipe it off. Stick it all the way back in then pull it out again, without rotating (twisting) it. Read level on stick.
      John C
      ---------------------

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
      Get a paper towel. Pull the stick out. Wipe it off. Stick it all the way back in then pull it out again, without rotating (twisting) it. Read level on stick.
      The v8 sucks for oil check. I wait till it has sat overnight. The tiny dipstick that spills into the tube is horrible.
      2010 XC90 V8 - 113k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Masscomguru View Post
      The v8 sucks for oil check. I wait till it has sat overnight. The tiny dipstick that spills into the tube is horrible.
      +1, except mine is the 3.2, but pulling the stick gets the oil on the bottom of the stick on the inside of the tube on it's way out, making the next stick-n-pull harder to read. And, don't believe everything you read in the manuals for volume capacity. My 3,2 is listed for 7.82 US quarts, but when I changed it last, it needed 9 quarts after an overnight drain. Maybe 7.82 is accurate for a pit stop change, I dunno. Before anyone asks, yes, the oil was up to temp (HOT!) when I drained it, but due to the time of day that I did it, it was convenient to just let 'er drip overnight.
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

perhaps someone got imperial quarts mixed up with US quarts? the ratio sounds about right I think! But that is a lot of oil I'm sure the engine is very well protected to go many miles between oil changes...

Quote Originally Posted by Capndirk View Post
      +1, except mine is the 3.2, but pulling the stick gets the oil on the bottom of the stick on the inside of the tube on it's way out, making the next stick-n-pull harder to read. And, don't believe everything you read in the manuals for volume capacity. My 3,2 is listed for 7.82 US quarts, but when I changed it last, it needed 9 quarts after an overnight drain. Maybe 7.82 is accurate for a pit stop change, I dunno. Before anyone asks, yes, the oil was up to temp (HOT!) when I drained it, but due to the time of day that I did it, it was convenient to just let 'er drip overnight.
      I agree. I did an oil change and filled to 7.5 qt to find out that I was a quart short but this is seems inconsistent.

The last two oil changes did not lead to any low oil messages or needing more than 8 quarts of oil but I have experienced the low oil messages in the past. Usually during long drives after an oil change. Maybe I am not getting my oil to temp when I check the dip stick.

2010 xc90 3.2 | 2017 Prius V Five
      2010 XC90 3.2 AWD
      Somewhere in space and time

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2