How to: fix driver's door key that turns but doesn't lock/unlock door
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

How to: fix driver's door key that turns but doesn't lock/unlock door

This is a relatively common issue if you've ever taken your door handle off for whatever reason or someone else has and you find afterwards that your key no longer locks/unlocks the door even though it turns.

I got a cheap endoscope that let me really see what was going on inside the door while fixing it. It makes it a lot easier to understand. If all you want is the endoscope video of it getting fixed skip to :50 in the video

Robert has a video of this as well (though without the endoscope) if you want any further explanation, just search youtube for "How to repair your drivers door to lock and unlock with the key, Volvo 850, S70, V70, etc. - VOTD"

For those wondering about the camera, it's under $40 on amazon, cheap but works pretty well! Battery only lasts about 10 minutes but if you keep the USB plugged in it can run while charging so indefinitely with a power source. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYTHWK4/
      Last edited by Avboden; 05-16-2018 at 06:17 PM.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I had that issue for many months after replacing a lazy actuator. I never was able to get the right angle to fix it. Eventually, Robert (the man himself) fixed mine during his helper tour.
      1998 V70 T5m @200k miles; 18t, turboback, Quaife LSD, Koni FSD/Eibach, IPD sways, DO88 I/C, SNAAB intake, ARD Blue, greens, etc., 50% E85
      1995 850 Turbo Sold at @168k miles.
      2004 V70R 6mt SOLD in 2008

Quote Originally Posted by washdup View Post
      I had that issue for many months after replacing a lazy actuator. I never was able to get the right angle to fix it. Eventually, Robert (the man himself) fixed mine during his helper tour.
      Honestly mine had been buggered for almost a year now! I tried to fix it multiple times with no luck. The camera really was the trick for me.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Been there. Great to know such an affordable scope exists, Andrew.
      -Paul
      1998 OSD V70 T5M | M56H | Signal Red(601)/Tan(3960) | IPD susp | ARD Custom Tune | Delrin subframe bushings | Propus

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements