SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Power tap for radar detector at the rear view mirror area?

15K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  aspexil828 
#1 ·
I'm planning to hardwire my new Uniden R3 radar detector. I see old threads about running the hardwire across the headliner, down the a-pillar, and over to the passengers side of the center console. This seems pretty cumbersome. Has anyone tapped into any of the wiring under the rearview mirror/sunroof/courtesy light/intellisafe panel?

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Search is yo friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did search and all I found was running the wiring down to the center console. What search terms are you using? I searched for "hardwire radar detector XC90".

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Cool. What wire(s) did you tap into? I don't have a wiring diagram available. I'd guess maybe the courtesy lighting and sunroof are driven off a control module rather than straight 12v power?

#8 ·
Blendmount sells a hardware mirror tapping kit specifically for different radar detectors.

I don't think hardwiring to the centre console makes any sense when the fuse box is available. That's what did: I just hardwired my V1 to the fuse box with an add-a-circuit fuse connector.

#14 ·
I installed my radar detector in my NSX rather than the Volvo XC90. I had the same concerns about running the wire all the way to the fuse box. I did not want to deal with the airbag so connecting with the upper console or mirror seemed the best way to go. I purchased the splicing wire kit via Amazon. That allowed me to splice into a wire that becomes hot when the car starts. So I avoided having to pull all sorts of components to gain power. I purchased this mount for $35: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063N7HZE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and the splice was $17: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082V1245P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keep in mind that the mount was radar unit specific. So check to insure that your unit will work. Same goes with the electrical hookup. I wanted a splice that was a bit longer than was offered by others. The system is rock solid thus far. I used to transfer the radar unit from car to car but now just keep in the NSX which draws a lot of attention. If I add another I will do the same with the XC90. Keep in mind the radar detector can draw a bit of current.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.