What to buy?

Looking at

2009 c70 T5 silver M66 85k for $9900
      Or
      2010 c70 T5 black M66 115k for $9400

Both are very clean.

Is there really any difference?

Thanks in advance.
      05 VR GT Titanium Grey/Nordakp, sunroof, Winter Package, Premium sound with Volvo Sub. VST rear brace, Ultra Racing front strut brace.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Do they both have the same options? The same service history?

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
      2019 V60 Cross Country T5 AWD - Premium pkg, Climate pkg, Vision pkg, Conv. pkg, Harmon Kardon, 20" wheels, Polestar tune
      2012 C70 T5 A - Polestar Tune, Elevate downpipe, VIVA Performance exhaust, JR filter, GoVo ECU spacer, 19"x8.5" Polestar Rep wheels, H&R spacers, Volvo OEM lip spoiler, Heico front spoiler lips
      2018 V60 Cross Country T5 AWD Premier - Premier Plus pkg, Climate pkg, Technology pkg, BLIS plg, 19" BOR wheels - sold
      2018 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription - Vision pkg, Climate pkg, Convenience pkg - Sold
      2017 V60 T6 AWD Drive-E - Premier pkg, Climate pkg, Tech pkg, Conv pkg, Sport suspension, 19" Portia wheels, Polestar Tune - Sold
      2005 V50 T5 M AWD - Passion Red/Graphite T-tec, sport pkg, Volvo body kit - Sold
      1998 S70 T5 M - Black/Graphite, 239whp/317wtq on old setup, List of mods RIP

Your Canadian source for Original Volvo Parts and Accessories! - Parts.VolvoPointeClaire.com

If the options are the same, then not really. (You're closer to the timing belt change with the 2010, of course.) They're both pre-facelift and there wasn't a material change in anything until the 2011 model year.

Good on you for finding TWO M66s! Took me over a year to find mine.

BD

'04 XC90 2.5T AWD, '06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 850 Turbo & '05 S60 T5 FWD R.I.P.)
      Current Fleet:
      1998 S70 Base (New project), 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P*

RIP:
      1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60 2.5T FWD

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rj240 View Post
      Do they both have the same options? The same service history?

That is a good question. Is there a way I could find the service history by VIN at a local Dealer? Carfax is clean for both, but that only covers what is reported.
      05 VR GT Titanium Grey/Nordakp, sunroof, Winter Package, Premium sound with Volvo Sub. VST rear brace, Ultra Racing front strut brace.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterBD View Post
      That is a good question. Is there a way I could find the service history by VIN at a local Dealer? Carfax is clean for both, but that only covers what is reported.
      Only if they happened to have been serviced there...

2019 V60 Cross Country T5 AWD - Premium pkg, Climate pkg, Vision pkg, Conv. pkg, Harmon Kardon, 20" wheels, Polestar tune
      2012 C70 T5 A - Polestar Tune, Elevate downpipe, VIVA Performance exhaust, JR filter, GoVo ECU spacer, 19"x8.5" Polestar Rep wheels, H&R spacers, Volvo OEM lip spoiler, Heico front spoiler lips
      2018 V60 Cross Country T5 AWD Premier - Premier Plus pkg, Climate pkg, Technology pkg, BLIS plg, 19" BOR wheels - sold
      2018 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription - Vision pkg, Climate pkg, Convenience pkg - Sold
      2017 V60 T6 AWD Drive-E - Premier pkg, Climate pkg, Tech pkg, Conv pkg, Sport suspension, 19" Portia wheels, Polestar Tune - Sold
      2005 V50 T5 M AWD - Passion Red/Graphite T-tec, sport pkg, Volvo body kit - Sold
      1998 S70 T5 M - Black/Graphite, 239whp/317wtq on old setup, List of mods RIP

Your Canadian source for Original Volvo Parts and Accessories! - Parts.VolvoPointeClaire.com

Quote Originally Posted by 88domer View Post

Good on you for finding TWO M66s! Took me over a year to find mine.

BD

'04 XC90 2.5T AWD, '06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 850 Turbo & '05 S60 T5 FWD R.I.P.)
      Thanks BD. I know! Both are within 125 miles from home. I am leaning towards the silver and may check it out on Saturday.

Thanks BD. I know! Both are within 125 miles from home. I am leaning towards the silver and may check it out on Saturday.
      Just sent you a PM. Good luck -- wish the weather would be more conducive for testing the top! (At least you can check for leaks. &#128512

BD

Current Fleet:
      1998 S70 Base (New project), 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P*

RIP:

Timing belt is going to be real soon for either: it's 120k or 10 years, whichever comes soonest, and most 2009's went onto the road in 2008, so it's time... that's a ~$1,000 job at the dealership

Check and make sure you have an AUX audio input in the bottom of the armrest storage and/or a MODE button not (CD) just under the display that switches to AUX otherwise you'll be looking at complicated, unwieldy and expensive solutions to using 21st Century music devices...
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

30,000 additional miles is quite a few and especially if they are after the first 85,000 miles. My view. Plus I like silver better.

Hey Hunter - I grew up in Bryn Mawr (Beatrice Drive off of Glenbrook near the trolley station)....and I have an '07 with manual trans (bought new)....I don't drive far so only 68k miles....I would always take low miles over other factors....

Wow, two manuals. Maybe they aren't unicorns after all.
      I'm partial to lower miles and to silver. As said already, if the options are the same the cars are mostly identical. But, if one of then has the Dynaudio system I would be really tempted to take that one. Regardless, definitely check out whether there is an AUX in the armrest bin.
      You might want to look over the brochures for options and packages available back then.
      2009: http://www.personalizeyourvolvo.com/...ure%20(US).pdf
      2010: https://carmanuals2.com/d/37164
      If the links don't work PM me - I have PDFs of most recent years.
      regtor
      2011 C70 T5 polestar | electric silver metallic/cranberry
      dynamic, multimedia, climate & convenience packages
      blis, sport pedals, oem front strut bar, elevate rear sway bar, mods4cars smart top, volvotech vbb4 rear camera

I'm so tempted to make the decision easy for you by snagging the one closest to me -- but then instead of celebrating my 25th anniversary next week, I'd be working on the separation papers!

Go with the black '10 if it's mechanically sound. It has many more options than the silver '09: BLIS, nav, park assist, and Dynaudio are all visible in the pics. The silver '09 is a base model (although its exterior and interior look better maintained).

BD

Current Fleet:

RIP:

Just saw the pics as well. This is tough as the 09 looks better cosmetically, has the better color, and lower miles, but lacks the options. Dynaudio in particular is real plus - it is an excellent system and upgrading the base audio system can be difficult. And, while the navi is primitive compared to a modern phone, having the pop up screen display provides the ability to put in a rear camera and other goodies (DVD, Apple TV). Retrofitting a factory navi screen into a base model seems impossible. BLIS is also a great feature that I believe would be difficult to retrofit, but it is less important to me personally. You can add park assist to the rear bumper (standard dealer-installed Volvo accessory), although not cheap.

I guess it depends on what is important to you. If you don't care about the electronics and audio then get the '09.
      regtor
      2011 C70 T5 polestar | electric silver metallic/cranberry
      dynamic, multimedia, climate & convenience packages
      blis, sport pedals, oem front strut bar, elevate rear sway bar, mods4cars smart top, volvotech vbb4 rear camera

Thank you everyone for your input. The black one looks great on paper but it looks like the hood is off alignment on the passenger side. I sent them an email to find out. It also is dirty in the engine department. I am hoping the PO was not too hard on it and took it to the dealer.

I donít care about the electronics, but the audio is important. I also donít want a car that has been in an accident. The silver is in beautiful shape but no extras. It has lower miles. That also is important.

Decisions, decisions. Stay tuned for more.

I'm so tempted to make the decision easy for you by snagging the one closest to me -- but then instead of celebrating my 25th anniversary next week, I'd be working on the separation papers!

Go with the black '10 if it's mechanically sound. It has many more options than the silver '09: BLIS, nav, park assist, and Dynaudio are all visible in the pics. The silver '09 is a base model (although its exterior and interior look better maintained).

BD

Oh jeez. Sorry to hear that. I too have filed after 22 years. I have to wait till October before she has to sign the paper work. She wonít sign as I pay for her Obamacare.

Are you close to the Black one? The front passenger side looks like it was in an accident and looks off alignment. I donít want to have to drive down and have to turn around, but driving the 05 VR down would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by road trip View Post
      Hey Hunter - I grew up in Bryn Mawr (Beatrice Drive off of Glenbrook near the trolley station)....and I have an '07 with manual trans (bought new)....I don't drive far so only 68k miles....I would always take low miles over other factors....
      Hey D. I know the area well. I went to Harriton. I now live behind the WaWa on Miller. I like the low miles too. The silver is so clean but no options. If the Black hasnít been hit then that may be the one to go with. I have a 05 VR so I am familiar with repairs and costs. That is a bonus.

Either one is a good find.

Oh jeez. Sorry to hear that. I too have filed after 22 years.

No, sorry for the misunderstanding. I just meant my wife is tired of my bringing home Volvos -- some people bring home stray animals, but I prefer P1s, particularly C70s. Kids love it, though.

Are you close to the Black one? The front passenger side looks like it was in an accident and looks off alignment. I donít want to have to drive down and have to turn around, but driving the 05 VR down would be fun.
      I'm about the same distance away from it as you, and no immediate plans to be up there anytime soon. Sorry. That said, if it's still around on Thursday and I can make my schedule to work right, I am heading up to NJ and MIGHT have time to take a look at it.

BD

Current Fleet:

RIP:

Hey D. I know the area well. I went to Harriton. I now live behind the WaWa on Miller. I like the low miles too. The silver is so clean but no options. If the Black hasnít been hit then that may be the one to go with. I have a 05 VR so I am familiar with repairs and costs. That is a bonus.

Either one is a good find.
      Near the polo fields, right? That was a prime under age drinking spot back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by regtor View Post
      Just saw the pics as well. This is tough as the 09 looks better cosmetically, has the better color, and lower miles, but lacks the options. Dynaudio in particular is real plus - it is an excellent system and upgrading the base audio system can be difficult. And, while the navi is primitive compared to a modern phone, having the pop up screen display provides the ability to put in a rear camera and other goodies (DVD, Apple TV). Retrofitting a factory navi screen into a base model seems impossible. BLIS is also a great feature that I believe would be difficult to retrofit, but it is less important to me personally. You can add park assist to the rear bumper (standard dealer-installed Volvo accessory), although not cheap.

I guess it depends on what is important to you. If you don't care about the electronics and audio then get the '09.
      Regtor - I am not the OP but your post got me thinking.....when I bought mine new I did get all the options and I do think they are part of the reason I have enjoyed the car for so long. The navi is one of the least intuitive electronic devices I have ever encountered but it is great to have it embedded in the car....otherwise I would always be worried when the top was down that someone would snatch my navi.

When it comes to the Dynaudio, I am beyond unimpressed. I know a bit about audio gear and sound reinforcement (30+ years of playing in bands, own / owned many PA systems, have run sound for others, have a home recording set up, have recorded in studios, have several stereo systems, wired my own surround and distributed audio in my house, etc...)....and if the Dynaudio is a big step up from the standard / stock stereo, the OEM must be pretty lame. I have spent a fair amount of time trying to dial in the Dynaudio - and nothing is "blown" - with the top up or down, I find the bass to be undefined, the mids harsh, and the highs tinny. The sub woofer is just a mess. Centering and Surround are silly controls to have (IMHO)....a midrange control would be much more useful, better crossovers / pass filters, a bit more clean headroom.....sigh.....

Well, for what it's worth, Carfax Snapshot says no accidents have been reported to Carfax, but I see what you mean. There's also a pretty decent door ding on the passenger door, right in front of the handle. Trying to look at the photos on my phone so I'm sure I'm missing other details.

BD

Current Fleet:

RIP:

I'm about the same distance away from it as you.

BD

Hey BD. I meant if you were like 10 minutes down the road. Itís all good. I am checking out the 09 tomorrow. Silver may be my color.

Near the polo fields, right? That was a prime under age drinking spot back in the day
      Funny you say that. That is LM. I am in Radnor by the Beer Mart and Lovecchios. Two Millers in the same town but different townships. WTF.

UPS always called to say there are no houses on the street, except for one and it isnít my address. I had to tell them it was the other Miller.

Regtor - I am not the OP but your post got me thinking.....when I bought mine new I did get all the options and I do think they are part of the reason I have enjoyed the car for so long. The navi is one of the least intuitive electronic devices I have ever encountered but it is great to have it embedded in the car....otherwise I would always be worried when the top was down that someone would snatch my navi.

When it comes to the Dynaudio, I am beyond unimpressed. I know a bit about audio gear and sound reinforcement. I have spent a fair amount of time trying to dial in the Dynaudio - and nothing is "blown" - with the top up or down, I find the bass to be undefined, the mids harsh, and the highs tinny. The sub woofer is just a mess. Centering and Surround are silly controls to have (IMHO)....a midrange control would be much more useful, better crossovers / pass filters, a bit more clean headroom.....sigh.....
      You sound like a Krell man. Me too. I used to work at Bryn Mawr Stereo with hands on to some very nice high end gear to demo.

You should hear my VR with factory sub and factory premium stereo. I found the menu to adjust midrange, center speaker and Dolby surround. Talk about separation.

I am ok with audio. I just want a ragtop for the summer for me and my gal. 6 on the floor and heated seats. Have to keep her happy. I may even do a few mods like my VR.

Hey BD. I meant if you were like 10 minutes down the road. Itís all good. I am checking out the 09 tomorrow. Silver may be my color.
      Okay, good luck! Hope itís as good in real life as the pictures suggest. At least youíve got the Ď10 and all its extras, priced at $500 less, as a good bargaining chip. You can say youíre working with a guy in VA to check it out for you!

BD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Current Fleet:

RIP:

I just want a ragtop
      Ragtop?!?! Thatís almost enough to kick you out of the forum! These are hardtop engineering wonders ó with all the headaches that come with that!
      Current Fleet:

RIP:

Okay, good luck! Hope itís as good in real life as the pictures suggest. At least youíve got the Ď10 and all its extras, priced at $500 less, as a good bargaining chip. You can say youíre working with a guy in VA to check it out for you!

BD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      You got it brother. Thanks for the help and input. I will definitely use the 2010 with all options. Didnít they only make 40 vs 80 for the 09?

Ragtop?!?! Thatís almost enough to kick you out of the forum! These are hardtop engineering wonders ó with all the headaches that come with that!
      Rofl. I said that in remembrance of my Dad. He was an avid Model A hot Rod guy in the Ď50ís.

Yes. The hard top is pure genius. That is why Iím not investing in the earlier models. I like it quiet in the cabin.

Funny you say that. That is LM. I am in Radnor by the Beer Mart and Lovecchios. Two Millers in the same town but different townships. WTF.

UPS always called to say there are no houses on the street, except for one and it isnít my address. I had to tell them it was the other Miller.
      3 counties and 2 townships all intersecting in the same town!

You sound like a Krell man. Me too. I used to work at Bryn Mawr Stereo with hands on to some very nice high end gear to demo.

You should hear my VR with factory sub and factory premium stereo. I found the menu to adjust midrange, center speaker and Dolby surround. Talk about separation.

I am ok with audio. I just want a ragtop for the summer for me and my gal. 6 on the floor and heated seats. Have to keep her happy. I may even do a few mods like my VR.
      Bryn Mawr Stereo was a good store and I bought a bunch of stuff from you guys.....imagine a time when people shopped for home audio gear IRL, and there were stores full of choices. Not hating on Best Buy, but not quite the same experience

So hereís the scoop on the silver one.

1). Lived its life in NJ. Too much salt on engine started to attack the aluminum engine
      2). Had problems putting top down. It wasnít responding to the button
      3) starting problems- turning the key didnít start the engine a couple of times
      4) once started the engine was loud.
      5). The alternator or intake module on the intake pipe was making a loud squeaking like noise.
      6) pickup was nice. Clutch was nice. Took it thru all gears.
      7). CHECK ENGINE light came on. I didnt have Vida with me. Not sure. The idle was fluctuating so this concerns me.
      8) I had problems starting it again after turning off for a few minutes. It did start but the noise up front from the alternator area was loud.
      9). Clean interior but door panel was coming off on the drivers side and the back cover for top was faded.
      10). 42 service records. PO kept taking it in for ďlockĒ issues. Not good.
      11). This car may have electrical issues. Iím not looking for another project car. That is why I bought the R.

I passed on this car. I told them to let me know when another comes in. I may be looking for a GT instead.

I bet this is the dreaded "Door unlocks while car in motion" issue which is found easily here and in my own posts.
      I support your decision to walk.

+1. It's still happening to me on my '08. Never on my '13, though. Guess I've just been lucky so far with that one.

BD

BD

Current Fleet:

RIP:

Bryn Mawr Stereo was a good store and I bought a bunch of stuff from you guys.....imagine a time when people shopped for home audio gear IRL, and there were stores full of choices. Not hating on Best Buy, but not quite the same experience
      Bought my first HDTV from Bryn Mawr in early 2000... Could buy a half-decent c70 now for the amount I spent on that 46" monster then
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Sysyphus61 View Post
      Bought my first HDTV from Bryn Mawr in early 2000... Could buy a half-decent c70 now for the amount I spent on that 46" monster then
      I hear you. I worked there from 1989-1992. I used the drool over the Nakamichi separates with Kef 107.7 in Rosewood. What a nice system that was.

I decided I really wanted an automatic so with my new search found one in Conchohocken. Only 73k miles for a 2010. Cream interior. Started right up and she purred like my R. Took her for a drive. Very smooth shifts and drove straight. Underside clean as a whistle with no rash. Engine looked great. All keys including the Valet. Even had a Volvo key fob. POís liked this car.

All tires had even wear and so did the brakes. She only needs tires and shoes for inspection.

Very happy with this find.

I signed the paper work and someone walked into the showroom wanting to see it. Salesman said ďItís sold!Ē We have a White one. I saw it and total rash on the entire bottom front lip.

Lucky me.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast