What is your MPG on your s40 t5 AWD?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

What is your MPG on your s40 t5 AWD?

Just comparing MPG since doesn't seem like s40 t5 is the best at it.

My 2006 s40 T5 AWD went Full tank to Empty in 290 miles of hard accelerating and highway miles, I always and only use the geartronic/semi auto mode since I could not find a M66 version of this car with out rust when bought it. MPG seems a bit low for me since I'm not even able to get the advertised 20 MPG city.

Wondering what everyone else is getting on the same models of this car?

As a side note is there side effects of always using the geartronic mode on the transmission or engine?
      2006 s40 T5 AWD - Red
      2005 v50 T5 - Sold
      2001 s40 1.9t - RIP

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Junior Member Idontlikemakingnames's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by kosanovskiy View Post
      Just comparing MPG since doesn't seem like s40 t5 is the best at it.

My 2006 s40 T5 AWD went Full tank to Empty in 290 miles of hard accelerating and highway miles, I always and only use the geartronic/semi auto mode since I could not find a M66 version of this car with out rust when bought it. MPG seems a bit low for me since I'm not even able to get the advertised 20 MPG city.

Wondering what everyone else is getting on the same models of this car?

As a side note is there side effects of always using the geartronic mode on the transmission or engine?
      If i set the cruise at 65 I can get about 30mpg 75 brings it down to 26. Driving around town with a heavy foot gets me about 16-18 mpg.

I average between 9.6 and 9.8 L/100km
      2007 V50 T5 AWD M66 ~ Custom machined weighted shiftknob powdercoated wrinkle polstarblue, Custom pod filter intake, Muffler delete, 18" Pegasus IPD Reps, EBC redstuff pads, EBC blank rotors.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

yea my MPG ranges from 19-27 AVG 23 mostly. V50 with the 6spd and a roof rack
      06 V50 T5 AWD 6spd
      06 E55 AMG Wagon
      96 Suzuki X-90 4x4 5spd
      16 Miata Club

Ok so seems like mine isn't completely odd then since I'm just on the lower spectrum of this. Possibly due to loads and my driving style.

Any thoughts on the constant use of geartronic wear and tear?
      2006 s40 T5 AWD - Red
      2005 v50 T5 - Sold
      2001 s40 1.9t - RIP

Ok so seems like mine isn't completely odd then since I'm just on the lower spectrum of this. Possibly due to loads and my driving style.

Any thoughts on the constant use of geartronic wear and tear?
      Mine is as mentioned above - 18 in town hard footed, 21-23 into the wind at 80mph, 26 at 80mph in still air, and 30+ in a tailwind at 80 or doing 65 in any conditions.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

My fuel economy went way down when my PCV was starting to fail. Not sure if you have done yours yet but it could be soon.
      2007 V50 T5 AWD M66 ~ Custom machined weighted shiftknob powdercoated wrinkle polstarblue, Custom pod filter intake, Muffler delete, 18" Pegasus IPD Reps, EBC redstuff pads, EBC blank rotors.

Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar
      I'm averaging around 22mpg on the V50 (AWD M66). All the performance parts are high flow and do actually help when not driving aggressively. But it's too much fun to enjoy this car, so it's always driven pretty spiritedly.
      Should also mention that I'm running on 245 summer tires, so there's more grip there as well. I also have a freaking sail on the roof with those hella light and spare tire.

No problems with always driving in GT. Heck, that's how I drove my S40 for 150k miles. You have more control, so you'll get better fuel economy if you know when you shift for climbing hills, engine braking, etc. Low RPM does not always equal best fuel economy when the road isn't flat. It's about riding the torque curve perfectly and using minimal throttle.

If you disable traction control, you'll get slightly better fuel economy as well. You'd be surprised how often the car cuts power or brakes corners. That's a lot of wasted power. I usually see a +1mpg increase by turning off traction control (based on how I drive and our local twisty roads).

Your GT will never see as good of fuel economy as an M66 since the GT is only 5 gears. While 5th in the GT is better for fuel economy than 5th on an M66, the M66 still has a 6th gear.
      Though, the gear ratio of the M66 on the AWD makes 6th an actual pulling gear. On the FWD, 6th is purely an overdrive. You can be cruising at 80mph and doing 2400rpm, but it's hard to pass people. I think the V50 is almost doing 3k rpm at 80mph.

With my way of driving (aggresive and fast) and daily comuting of 60 miles (half motorway half city), I have never seen more than 250miles on the dash from full to when it almost light up reserve light. And thats even without AC on as I rarely use it.
      I know it is able to go over 30MPG when driving like a sane person, but its not me
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66, Stage 1 Hilton tune<-Click me
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

Quote Originally Posted by Jirv0id View Post
      My fuel economy went way down when my PCV was starting to fail. Not sure if you have done yours yet but it could be soon.
      PCV is working smoothly with no issues. I'll keep watch at it though.
      2006 s40 T5 AWD - Red
      2005 v50 T5 - Sold
      2001 s40 1.9t - RIP

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      I'm averaging around 22mpg on the V50 (AWD M66). All the performance parts are high flow and do actually help when not driving aggressively. But it's too much fun to enjoy this car, so it's always driven pretty spiritedly.
      Should also mention that I'm running on 245 summer tires, so there's more grip there as well. I also have a freaking sail on the roof with those hella light and spare tire.

No problems with always driving in GT. Heck, that's how I drove my S40 for 150k miles. You have more control, so you'll get better fuel economy if you know when you shift for climbing hills, engine braking, etc. Low RPM does not always equal best fuel economy when the road isn't flat. It's about riding the torque curve perfectly and using minimal throttle.

If you disable traction control, you'll get slightly better fuel economy as well. You'd be surprised how often the car cuts power or brakes corners. That's a lot of wasted power. I usually see a +1mpg increase by turning off traction control (based on how I drive and our local twisty roads).

Your GT will never see as good of fuel economy as an M66 since the GT is only 5 gears. While 5th in the GT is better for fuel economy than 5th on an M66, the M66 still has a 6th gear.
      Though, the gear ratio of the M66 on the AWD makes 6th an actual pulling gear. On the FWD, 6th is purely an overdrive. You can be cruising at 80mph and doing 2400rpm, but it's hard to pass people. I think the V50 is almost doing 3k rpm at 80mph.
      Haha yeah your V50 is pretty darn smooth looking, you did great work to it. Mine is bone stock but the gen 3 haladex (which needs to be installed) and struts you found out about. Well done on your car.
      Ahh I usually us GT to keep gears for longer to accelerate and stuff. Good to know it is made to handle stuff.
      Thanks for the traction control advice, will try it for fun but as a safety feature will leave it on.

I'll keep playing around with RMPs see what I can get. Thanks for the advice.
      2006 s40 T5 AWD - Red
      2005 v50 T5 - Sold
      2001 s40 1.9t - RIP

one could use the instant mpg gauge to see fuel economy by gear when climbing. Personally I don't care enough to keep track of that though. I just keep the car in drive 90% of the time. Just use GT for spirited driving in the hills, preemptive downshifting for passing, and forcing the trans to stay in 4th for long climbs (otherwise it shifts to 5th asap and lugs the engine).

in terms of ratios, AW55 5th is actually taller than 6th on the M66. Check out the RPM x Speed tab on this ss I made:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...dFBYpf/pubhtml

however that said, I'd guess the parasitic losses of the torque converter would make efficiency lean in favor of the M66 (even though it's spinning 150 rpm faster at 85mph)

and to answer the op, I avg 18-20. May increase as my commute now has about 10 mi of highway.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Haha yeah your V50 is pretty darn smooth looking, you did great work to it.
      Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by T5CO View Post
      in terms of ratios, AW55 5th is actually taller than 6th on the M66. Check out the RPM x Speed tab on this ss I made:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...dFBYpf/pubhtml

however that said, I'd guess the parasitic losses of the torque converter would make efficiency lean in favor of the M66 (even though it's spinning 150 rpm faster at 85mph)
      Great spreadsheet! But which M66 are you referring to? There's different gear ratios on the M66 between the AWD and FWD P1s, P2s, Rs, etc.
      I could have sworn that 6th gear in my FWD M66 C30 is significantly taller than 5th in my FWD AW55 S40. Though, it's been a few years since I drove the S40, so I could be mistaken.

Between the FWD and AWD P1 M66, 1st-4th and all pretty similar, but 5th and 6th are different enough to be pretty noticeable behind the wheel.

Thanks!

Great spreadsheet! But which M66 are you referring to? There's different gear ratios on the M66 between the AWD and FWD P1s, P2s, Rs, etc.
      I could have sworn that 6th gear in my FWD M66 C30 is significantly taller than 5th in my FWD AW55 S40. Though, it's been a few years since I drove the S40, so I could be mistaken.

Between the FWD and AWD P1 M66, 1st-4th and all pretty similar, but 5th and 6th are different enough to be pretty noticeable behind the wheel.
      It's been at least a yr since I made the sheet, so I forget the data source, but I couldn't find different ratios published for FWD vs AWD.

It's easy to confirm though- if you get a chance, check next time you're driving. At 50mph here's the estimated RPMs for the M66 in 2-6:

4829.8, 3211.4, 2402.2, 1972.4, 1643.6
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

It's been at least a yr since I made the sheet, so I forget the data source, but I couldn't find different ratios published for FWD vs AWD.
      Official ratios here

With the T5 + M66C + AWD doing mostly short trips around town the trip computer says 21 MPG - but I never reset or verify it... Pure highway, can do NJ and back (about 330 miles in 5 hours) on 12.5 gallons, which works out to 26.5 MPG @ 65 MPH (overall). I have gone highway stretches at 29-30 MPG but I get bored too easily to keep it up.

I will say, the M66C isn't exactly conducive to going any American speed limit efficiently. To actually go 25 in a 25 with any sort of hill means 2nd gear and lots of RPMs. 35 and 45 are doable in 4th but neither are in the sweet spot. It's happiest around 62 in 5th and 78 in 6th, neither are particularly useful for 55 and 65 highway. But on a straight road at 78 with cruise on it will get 30 MPH...

Edit: Also - 16" wheels. 17"+ will effectively make the ratios taller.
      '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 sport/winter/ew. Michelin PS A/S+. 6000k 50w HID low/HIR1 high/full LED conversions. RiCA SW. Evoelate intake. IPD rear sway, skidplate, TCV.
      Writeups
      Full P1 (S40/V50/C30/C70) & P2 (S60/V70+R) LED conversion | P1 HID conversion & details | FM Modulators & interference | stalk cleaning | CEM Teardown

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow27 View Post
      Official ratios here

With the T5 + M66C + AWD doing mostly short trips around town the trip computer says 21 MPG - but I never reset or verify it... Pure highway, can do NJ and back (about 330 miles in 5 hours) on 12.5 gallons, which works out to 26.5 MPG @ 65 MPH (overall). I have gone highway stretches at 29-30 MPG but I get bored too easily to keep it up.

I will say, the M66C isn't exactly conducive to going any American speed limit efficiently. To actually go 25 in a 25 with any sort of hill means 2nd gear and lots of RPMs. 35 and 45 are doable in 4th but neither are in the sweet spot. It's happiest around 62 in 5th and 78 in 6th, neither are particularly useful for 55 and 65 highway. But on a straight road at 78 with cruise on it will get 30 MPH...

Edit: Also - 16" wheels. 17"+ will effectively make the ratios taller.
      Ok sweet, I'll update the chart to reflect those. IIRC the AW55-51 is the AWD version

I wonder what the final drive is...looks like 'achteruit' is dutch for reverse.

I found 2.27 for the AW55 and 3.77 for the M66 in my original source.

And I'm using the OEM 17" tire diam: 25.07. There's not a significant difference in RPM with the 16"
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

I wonder what the final drive is...looks like 'achteruit' is dutch for reverse.
      I had this pic hoarded somewhere with fdr's , maybe will come handy?

607A2631-4C27-4B42-8547-A8D5E1A89A7B-2138-0000041F32BFBE13_zpse63c7a6d.jpg
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66, Stage 1 Hilton tune<-Click me
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

I've owned my 05 s40 t5 awd for about 5k miles. It's got nearly 175k on it. I bought it to drive from Tucson, AZ to SD, CA to visit a friend. I dislike the gearing and gas mileage of the m66 at interstate speeds. It runs at 3000 rpm at 80ish mph. Same rpm my 1988 Thunderbird runs at, with one less gear. The s40's window sticker states 29 mpg freeway and I've never gotten better that that. I think if the m66 had better gearing, like what the Diesels got in Europe, US freeway mpg would be in the 30's or near 40's.
      But, I've come to realize that I only do US freeway speeds about 5 times a year. The rest of the time, I'm driving in town.Yes, all the extra gears create a lot of shifting but, the engine power is very linear, so from 1500 rpm to much higher, the car accelerates very well.

The car is rated at 21 mpg in town. On the computer averager in my car, I'm getting 25 mpg in town. I'm shifting a lot, but I keep the rpms low, when I'm just driving. Doing the math, I'm not sure the mpg averager is correct, but I'm still between 23-25 in town. Since this is the vast majority of my driving, I'm happy with the mileage and performance of this car.

Averaging around 26.3mpg based on these figures that were stored in my phone calculator for a S40 T5 FWD @138k mi.
      26.55 (3/16), 24.15 (4/17), 23.82 (4/25), 27.71 (5/6), 25.54 (5/13), 30.22 (5/25)
      I think the 30mpg was strictly highway @65mph no A/C with the others being mostly highway w/ some residential streets.
      2005 Volvo S40 2.4i M/T Ice White, 200k+, Totaled.
      H&R Springs, Mazdaspeed3 RSB, EST Strut Brace, H&R spacers, E-Focus Torque Mount, Updated Left Mount, K&N filter, Deunicorned, Rebadged rear, LED's, Sport Pedals, Alu. Shifter, AutoX Drivermod

2006 Volvo S40 2.5 Turbo Auto Silver, 170k+
      Extra stock

My C70 T5 gives me 18-19mpg on my stop sign/light filled, trafficky, up and downhill 10 mile each way commute... might do a bit better if I didn't insist on blowing the cobwebs from the turbocharger at least once or twice per leg...

It gives me 30mpg cruising a notch or two above the highway speed limit... reduces quite shockingly the faster you go beyond that.
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

20 around town, 28 tops on interstate cruising at 78-80. Above 80 it drops in a hurry, to about 25 at 85. If one were to stay around 70, 30 could be achieved, I guess. P2 V70awd had marginally better numbers, but the P1 is more brick-like.

686Sport, 2008 V50awdGT. Stage 2, 225/45x17 DWS06
      2008 V50 T5 awd / 2013 GC Overland / 2009 R1200RT [sold] / 2000 Tacoma TRD

Probably one of the last longer trips the S40 will make:
      Went to the mts this weekend, ~5k ft up to ~10k. 95% highway but hit triple digits multiple times passing.

2007 S40 T5 AWD

I average around 24 mpg with a 70/30 highway/city split. It seems like the Gen3 AWD mod has dropped in 0.6-0.7 mpg but that may be due to more aggressive driving style post-mod.

What are the different ways to disable traction control? I have an AWD without DSTC and I've read about pulling fuse F7 and the drjonez mod - are there any others?
      2010 XC70 T6 188k; 2006 S40 T5 AWD M66 242k; 2004 XC70 287k; 1998 V70 288k (sold); 1970 Dodge Super Bee 383 Magnum 122k

Quote Originally Posted by kjhiggins View Post
      What are the different ways to disable traction control? I have an AWD without DSTC and I've read about pulling fuse F7 and the drjonez mod - are there any others?
      AFAIK F7 disables everything including ABS.
      Drjonez disables everything except ABS.
      But I believe that you already have that covered if you don't have DSTC.

DSTC wasn't a standard feature until 2008. Before that, only some cars had STC. But if you don't have the STC button by the cupholders, then you likely don't have any form of traction control on your car.

From my understanding, AWD came by default with STC. VIDA states:

TRACS AWD
      This function is described in the STC-traction control section above. The TRACS AWD–function is always engaged when the ignition is switched on. (this function cannot be disabled manually).
      2010 XC70 T6 188k; 2006 S40 T5 AWD M66 242k; 2004 XC70 287k; 1998 V70 288k (sold); 1970 Dodge Super Bee 383 Magnum 122k

From my understanding, AWD came by default with STC. VIDA states:

TRACS AWD
      This function is described in the STC-traction control section above. The TRACS AWD–function is always engaged when the ignition is switched on. (this function cannot be disabled manually).
      It has TRACS (measuring corner wheel speed and distributing power when needed for the AWD system), but it does not have STC which cuts power to the wheels.
      My S40 had STC and it made a big difference to turn it off.

STC is what hurts fuel consumption because it can be braking the wheels while you're trying to accelerate.

My V50 does not have STC (listed as "not applicable" on the build sheet), which I believe, based on how easy it is to put this car sideways or do a burnout. My S40s and C30 would never allow this without the drjonez mod.

From the description in VIDA, TRACS AWD (TRAction Control System All Wheel Drive) uses the traction control function but not the stability control part of STC. Traction control still utilizes the brake system (since it is disabled if the brake discs become too hot) but does not cut power from the engine:

STC
      Stability and traction control system consisting of two parts:

Traction control. Traction control (TC) is a traction control system which is integrated in the ABS–system. The traction control system distributes the driven power between the wheels so that the wheel with the best road traction receives the greatest amount of driven power. The system is mainly designed to assist when moving off on slippery surfaces at speeds up to approximately 60 km/h. Traction control has only a very limited effect at speeds above 60 km/h. To prevent damage to the brake calipers and discs, traction control is disabled if the brake discs become too hot. The traction control function is always engaged when the ignition is switched on. This function cannot be disabled manually.

Stability control. The stability control (SC) system is integrated with the ABS system. It stabilizes the vehicle in the event of wheel spin. The brake control module (BCM) transmits a signal to the engine control module (ECM) to reduce engine torque until the slipping wheel(s) has/have stopped spinning. The stability function is always engaged when the ignition is switched on. Stability control can be engaged and disengaged manually using a switch on the tunnel console.

26,876 miles of ownership.

Average actual fuel economy: 22.46
      Average trip computer fuel economy: 23.70
      Last edited by drjonez; 06-13-2018 at 09:45 AM.
      2005 S40 T5 AWD Stage 3
      2001 S60 LPT 2.5 swap, Speedtuning'd

Function > Form

Does anyone run a roof rack? How much do you think that impacts mpg?

Did another trip to the mts today, except this time I had the bike on the roof. Averaged 20mpg over 215 miles. Last trip I averaged 25.5 over 360 miles. Driving style similar.

2007 S40 T5 AWD

That's a lot of extra drag: bound to have a significant impact on mpg, especially at highway speeds
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

Not the greatest but I get around 22-23ish mpg usually with 93 octane.
      2010 S40 T5 AWD M66 R-Design (The Unicorn) KW V1 ~ FastCo FC04A ~ Elevate rear sway bar ~ Massive RaceSpec Adjustable Camber Arms ~ Huper Optik 40% ceramic tint ~ Shark Stage 1 Tune ~ Elevate upper and lower manifold ~ Elevate Intake ~ DO88 FMIC ~ EST downpipe ~ Mototec Sport Edition catback

Alright it seems a bike on the rack is an MPG killer. Another trip up to mts this weekends- averaged 25.8 over ~150 miles. Driving was a bit less aggressive due to high traffic, however I had another person with me and camping gear (so +~150lbs over me and the bike). And it was much hotter then when I was carrying the bike.

So based on my limited sample, a roof mounted bike lowers the avg by 20%. Or in dollar terms, that 215 mile drive cost an addtl $8 simply due to having a bike on the roof.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Yup, racks kill economy.

Even a hitch rack on the S40 you take a 10% hit, based on my data collected.
      Last edited by drjonez; 07-03-2018 at 12:55 PM.
      2005 S40 T5 AWD Stage 3
      2001 S60 LPT 2.5 swap, Speedtuning'd

Function > Form

One interesting thing about the V50 is that roof rails (without racks) actually improve mileage! It's only a few percent but the sales literature mentions this. Besides, I think they improve the look.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements