OSD, a T8, and EV Charging in Norway and Sweden, anyone with experience?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

I'm new to the OSD program and new to hybrid electric driving, and looking forward to experiencing both when we pick up our car in August. Has anyone in these forums been able to use EV Charging Stations during their overseas travel? If so, what adapter(s) to the cabling are needed, are they available to borrow, rent, or buy over there, and has anyone been successful and have any useful tips? If for no other reason, it sure be nice to take advantage of free charging and free parking, especially in Oslo. Otherwise parking the car is almost as expensive as our hotel room. In searching through the forum, I've found discussions on the possibility of making the car compatible, but I can't find anyone that has shared their experience (then again, I'm also new to writing and searching in forums). Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I believe the biggest problem is a difference in standard.

North American T8s come with a J1772 connector on the car, aka "Type 1" connector. Europe uses a different connector called "Type 2". You can read more about it here

So, that being said, I don't think you can get an adapter or anything that can make a type 2 connector match a type 1 connector.
      I hope I'm wrong.
      2018 XC90 T8 AWD Momentum Plus, Denim Blue, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2005 S60 2.5T AWD (OSD) Platinum Green, Premium, Convenience, Climate, Bi-Xenon, etc
      Previous:
      2016 XC90 T6 AWD (OSD) Momentum Plus, Magic Blue, vision, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2004 XC90 T6 AWD (gone but not forgotten)

Of course, after I posted the above, I found this. It looks promising although a tad expensive for just a few days.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks ig_mb, I understand now that I'm going to need a cable with a Type 2 connector that goes to the charge station while maintaining the Type 1 connection to the car.

I guess my next question is to anyone out there, do most of the charging stations in Norway and Sweden allow you to hook in your own type 2 cable into a socket or do they already come attached with their own cable? I'm almost tempted to try a "hybrid" cable, that is if it will work and not effect the vehicles warranty or have any chance of damaging it.

It would also be worth paying it forward and leaving the cable behind after our trip for others to use, that is if FDC would hold it and loan to future travelers who would agree to return again for others.

Another question I have is do you need a RFID card to activate EV Stations in Norway and/or Sweden? How do you obtain one and is there a particular service company you have to go through?

I'm thinking this is really valuable information for anyone traveling with a hybrid electric vehicle. It seems this would be excellent information for a sticky, especially with the future of all electric/hybrid vehicles being driven as part of an OSD.
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

An adapter would work and there are several available to be sourced from the UK. The comm protocol is still the same SAE J1772 but as mentioned earlier in the thread, the US bound cars are equipped with older Type 1 connectors where as Europe as advanced to longer lasting/more durable Type 2 “Mennekes” connectors (they’re rated for more plugin cycles than the old Type 1).

That being said, across the EU many EVSE also solve the cord problem in the US by expecting drivers to carry their own cords to plug into EVSE there. It keeps cord abuse/wear down since the owners are responsible for their own. Consequently, it’s not just an adapter that’s needed, sometimes a whole cord. You can find options here depending on your needs

https://evconnectors.com/electric-ve...es-and-Sockets
      https://www.evseadapters.com/product...charging-cable
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

Thank you VolvoUhu big help, your getting me closer to a solution. EVSEadapters.com and a few other sites sell a charging cable that is European to US Type 2 (IEC / Mennekes) to Type 1 (J1772) EV Adapter. Savings from free parking and charging on our trip would pay for more than half the cost of the cable.

If I purchase one, there would be no reason lug this heavy cable back to the states after our trip. If there is a way of establishing a place to leave it securely, and put people on an honor system to return it for future travelers, I would gladly make it a contribution as a way of saying thank you to this forum and its members for all the help and advise I have and will receive.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
      Thank you VolvoUhu big help, your getting me closer to a solution. EVSEadapters.com and a few other sites sell a charging cable that is European to US Type 2 (IEC / Mennekes) to Type 1 (J1772) EV Adapter. Savings from free parking and charging on our trip would pay for more than half the cost of the cable.

If I purchase one, there would be no reason lug this heavy cable back to the states after our trip. If there is a way of establishing a place to leave it securely, and put people on an honor system to return it for future travelers, I would gladly make it a contribution as a way of saying thank you to this forum and its members for all the help and advise I have and will receive.
      I love this idea. I wish I had done more research before my OSD, as I was expecting to be able to plug in my T8 while in Europe. Whoops. I ended up burning more fuel to charge the battery a few times while on the highway.

Perhaps you should try contacting the delivery center with your idea. They may take you up on it, although I wonder if they'd be willing to take on any liabilities.

Good luck!

Well when Volvo finally makes a full electric vehicle the delivery center will have to come up with something for OSD customers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mookiwan View Post
      Well when Volvo finally makes a full electric vehicle the delivery center will have to come up with something for OSD customers...

Another solution will be to not offer OSD.
      Not good for customers but may be cheapest option for company.

Krzys

Quote Originally Posted by krzyss View Post
      Another solution will be to not offer OSD.
      Not good for customers but may be cheapest option for company.

Krzys
      I'm thinking there are many reasons that Volvo offers the OSD program and don't believe they will end the program any time soon. Charging OSD vehicles while in Europe cannot be that big of an obstacle to overcome, IMHO!
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

Volvo's OSD program really should have the answer to this question, as well as possible solution if needed.
      1980 244 GL M46. Glacier Blue/Black. 185k.
      2007 V70R M66. Titanium Grey/Nordkap Blue. 135k.
      2016 340ix 6-speed. Estoril Blue/Dakota Brown. 40k.

It is not uncommon for OSD cars to have different accessories than regular delivery cars... ex. Tow receiver bar and ball come with the tow package on OSD but not regular delivery. We may see the adapter wire included with OSD in the future. If you are paying $60k+ on a car, what’s another couple hundred for a cord.

Does anyone know if anything has changed on this front? I wonder that they don't rent cords/adapters for OSD customers the way they appear to do with snow tires during winter deliveries. Yep, it would mean you'd need to go back to Sweden for ultimate drop off but that is simply more of an incentive for Swedish tourism.

They told me to simply not charge mine during my OSD trip a couple weeks ago... I didn’t ask any questions about it as I wasn’t planning on charging it anyways. We took a ferry and did a loop through Denmark only to cross the bridge and come up west coast Sweden on our way back to Gothenburg. Total trip was just over 600 miles. I filled up the tank just once when it had about 3/8 tank left. That ran me for around $75, just a minor expense for such a wonderful trip. I dropped it off at the factory with about 1/4 tank left.
      Our garage...

2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT - Machine Gray Metallic/Cherry Top/Black (FUN LITTLE TOY!!!)
      2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature - Machine Gray Metallic/Auburn Nappa (replacing with a OSD 2020 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered)
      2012 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design w. Polestar tune - Black Sapphire Metallic/Offblack (Sold 2014)
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 Premium/Sport Package - Electric Silver/Offblack (Sold 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      Does anyone know if anything has changed on this front? I wonder that they don't rent cords/adapters for OSD customers the way they appear to do with snow tires during winter deliveries. Yep, it would mean you'd need to go back to Sweden for ultimate drop off but that is simply more of an incentive for Swedish tourism.
      Probably not enough people asked or may be it was too complicated to deal with.

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements