SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What went wrong with your XC40 today?

115K views 440 replies 132 participants last post by  HKliltXC40 
#1 ·
I wanted to use this thread as any problems or failures you run into during your ownership. We had a similar thread in another forum, and it was helpful to see what often fails and how people get around it or fix it.

I'll start.

My passenger side seat heading is failing. It often doesn't turn on at all, or when it does it is lukewarm. When the seat is lukewarm, you can hear the circuit closing and opening randomly via a mechanical clicking sound at the base of the seat. It's a mechanical clicking sound similar to that of when pushing the seat adjustment button. I have a warranty repair request with the dealer. They won't have a loaner available for almost two weeks...:facepalm:

#341 ·
I took delivery of my new 2020 T5 XC40 about a week ago.

So far, there was an issue with the turbo, which put it into turtle mode/limp mode. Had to return and have that diagnosed and fixed.

Now, my air conditioning is no longer working. It cycles between blowing un-cooled air, and slightly cool air, and not the COLD air that it briefly did for about a day or two. Just in time for the heatwave. :|

#342 ·
I took delivery of my new 2020 T5 XC40 about a week ago.

an issue with the turbo, which put it into turtle mode/limp mode. Had to return and have that diagnosed and fixed...Now, my air conditioning is no longer working. :|
Sorry to hear. What was the turbo issue? As for climate, the XC40 is totally different from my other Volvo's. Did you find that as well, and was there an issue to resolve? Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#345 ·
Every time I start my car, temperature set up at 19 deg C, I change it during the drive, but it return to 19 again when I start the car. Auto climate is off (and also if it on, it's 22 deg C).
Any ideas?

#353 ·
Went to take delivery of my RD and they installed the front license plate frame 😠 I was very specific to my salesperson in the beginning to not drill holes on the front bumper. I also reminded him multiple times; whenever he needs some documentation, I remind him about not having holes on the front bumper.

They are going to replace the bumper and get back to me Monday. I also told them to replace the VIN sticker on the new bumper. I'll see if they follow through.

Also, there are noticeable microscratches on the black part of the body and the side mirrors. Are these parts easily scratched? I realized the black part is a veneer/wrap that is applied during manufacturing.

#355 ·
I was half-tempted to leave off the front plate on the XC40 we picked up yesterday(Texas "requires" a front plate; but there is no penalty for not displaying one).
HOWEVER, ours(and every other new Volvo I saw on the lot) has the front bracket installed and a dealer 'plate' in it. It might actually save me the hassle of getting flack from the LEOs for not having it(even though the majority of BMWs in our area don't have them, why tempt fate?).

#356 ·
Don’t understand the big deal about front license plates.

#357 ·
Don't understand the big deal about front license plates.

Are you for or against? Texas is the first state(out of four) I've lived in that requires a front plate. With 25 million vehicles in the state, that's a LOT of money that could be saved by eliminating it. 19 states get along just fine without front tags.

#358 · (Edited)
Today I noticed that my tailgate latch(which also houses the rearview camera & license plate lights) was coming out. It's held in place with two screws. The latch is made out of plastic and although both screws are still in place, it looks like some of the plastic around one of the screws has broken off, thus resulting in the latch coming out of its housing. I rarely touch the latch to open the tailgate, I usually just wave my foot under the rear bumper or use the button on the inside of the car. So, I don't think the latch has had an unusual amount of wear and tear. Right now, I'm using painter's tape to hold in place until I go to see the dealer. I see there have been others on the forum who have also had this issue. Will I have to pay for the repair, or has there been an official recall?

#363 ·
Had a pretty bizarre occurrence last week with my son's XC40. I could not unlock the car with the key. The app allowed me to open the trunk and I had to crawl though to the front seat to start the car. The blind spot monitor, rear traffic alert, and parking distance all failed when I stated the car. Also the windows and door lock buttons did not respond. The dealer had it for two days and they found a corroded wire that they repaired. All is working fine now, but a little concerning there was a corroded wire as the car had less then 1K miles.

#367 · (Edited)
had a strange occurrence over a few days while camping with my XC40. I had my seats folded down with various camping gear on top. Any time I opened either one of the rear side doors, I heard the noise the seats make when they get released to fold down (even though nothing was touching the buttons in the back of the handle on the top of the seats. This happened about 20 times (just about every time I opened a rear door) in total. Seems like an odd bug. Also had one time during this period where all audio (music, start up sound, turn singals) came through all static-like. A restart of the car cured this second issue.

#370 ·
Message "Car key battery low see Owner's Manual". Not the sport fob but "regular" fob. I never use the buttons on the fob. I only lock and unlock with fob in my pocket and touching the door handle. I also use the phone app to lock and unlock. It appears rather easy to replace per the owners manual.

#371 ·
Did you check the battery type? Our C70 battery takes two oddball coin cells...not carried by the first two stores I tried...ended up getting them at CVS !!
I have all sorts of CR16 and 32 cells for bike lights and red dots; but that C70 cell was odd.

#384 ·
CarPlay voice malfunctioning. The double tone when I say "hey, Siri" has a buzz in it, and Siri now says she's having difficulty understanding me. No unusual road noise, been using CarPlay for over a year now with good success. Phone works fine on its own. Could it be a faulty speaker/mic in my XC40?

#385 ·
I’ve had a glitch with my new XC40. I went to get in the car, and the driver side front door would not open. I had the key in my pocket. I checked and all three of the other doors and hatch would open. If I get in the passenger side and physically pull the door handle, I can open the door. But the little lock/unlock inside the door on the driver side did nothing.

Then I started all over again. I locked all four doors and tried opening with the key fob. Same thing driver door would not open.

Started over again. Locked all four doors and tried opening with Volvo on Call. Same thing, driver door will not open.

Is this a common issue? Easy to fix?

Nora in Florida

#386 ·
I've had a glitch with my new XC40. I went to get in the car, and the driver side front door would not open. I had the key in my pocket. I checked and all three of the other doors and hatch would open. If I get in the passenger side and physically pull the door handle, I can open the door. But the little lock/unlock inside the door on the driver side did nothing.

Then I started all over again. I locked all four doors and tried opening with the key fob. Same thing driver door would not open.

Started over again. Locked all four doors and tried opening with Volvo on Call. Same thing, driver door will not open.

Is this a common issue? Easy to fix?

Nora in Florida
My Darling described something similar a couple of weeks ago; but it was a one-off and we haven't noticed anything similar since.
I look forward to any responses you get. ;)

I will say that opening the rear hatch with the foot sensor is an exercise in comedy! I still haven't figured out what actually triggers it. Usually just as I've given up and reach for the switch, it finally opens!!!

#387 ·
Thanks Coach Rick. I’ll be interested to hear from others also. I will give it a try later on today and see what happens.

I’ve had some luck with the hatch opening. But I’m still not clear, are you supposed to be able to walk up to the vehicle and open the hatch with a swing of your foot? Or do you have to open one of a door first?

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#390 ·
Hasn't worked on first try yet!!! :)
I'll be sure to line up better next time. Thanks for the tip.

#389 ·
I fiddled around some more, and discovered even when the car is totally unlocked, I cannot open the front driver side door from the outside. The only way to open that door is to walk around to the passenger side, open the passenger door, and reach over and pull the interior driver's door opener from inside the car. And this is quite a challenge, since I park the XC 40 on the right side of the garage!

I found I can also open the car by opening the driver side back door from the outside, sit on the rocker panel, and reach up front and open the front door with the interior front door handle.

Nora in Florida

#391 ·
I fiddled around some more, and discovered even when the car is totally unlocked, I cannot open the front driver side door from the outside. The only way to open that door is to walk around to the passenger side, open the passenger door, and reach over and pull the interior driver's door opener from inside the car. And this is quite a challenge, since I park the XC 40 on the right side of the garage!

I found I can also open the car by opening the driver side back door from the outside, sit on the rocker panel, and reach up front and open the front door with the interior front door handle.

Nora in Florida
Wow!!! I wouldn't be happy with that!!! Did your XC get the software refresh upon delivery? I took mine back the next week after delivery and it took about 2.5 hours.
I'd be surprised if that turned out to be part of the update; but maybe it will re-set everything?????
In theory, you could leave the driver window down and reach in to open the door, yes? Of course, that would only be applicable in your own garage.

#392 ·
By the bye, we regularly get the notice that "snowball" is unlocked. We then proceed to lock it remotely and get the message that it "failed". A few seconds later, we get the message that the doors ARE locked. Ain't technology grand!!!

#398 ·
Where to start since purchased:
1) Hood latch alarm, hood was latched and never touched
2) Random breaking system engaging without vehicles around, updated software issue
3) Rear rotors replaced due to warp issue at 10,000 miles.
4) Week after rotor replacement, car sat in driveway untouched for 4 days, on a Sunday,the alarm went off every hour. On call was no help, wanted to tow the vehicle with out getting a loaner until the next day. First call ,the rep never asked for name or phone number, could not contact Volvo technician, suggested towing it , then call disconnected. Called second time different rep asked for name and phone number, suggested we unlock the car, open and close all doors and hatch. That worked. No follow up until 3 weeks later from dealer, said it was "On calls" problem not the dealer..but did offer to look at it. (dealer is 1 hour away, wife works 12 hour days, problem)
5) Drivers side Blind spot detection going off with no traffic. Passenger detection system not working at all. Randomly..
6) Still, emergency braking system activates even after recall...
7) Dashboard lit up " Brake Light malfunction, not working", Brakes light were fine and working
8) Hatch foot activation, quirky, addressed it previous posts..
9) Fluttering sound from sunroof area
10) Pilot assist alarm goes off, but don't have pilot assist..

#401 ·
I have a 2020 Xc40 T5 Momentum. In July I drove from Alexandria, VA to Kansas City, MO and I drove for long periods while there. Several times the SiriusXM app would freeze and I could only change stations using the steering wheel control. A few times I wasn't able to touch the door handle to lock the doors or use the close and lock button on the hatch; I had to use the lock button on my key fob.

#402 ·
I've driven our new "Snowball" so seldom; I'm afraid I will assume I've done something wrong if similar gremlins appear in ours!!

#403 ·
Months ago I posted how I had a speaker issue that caused certain ones to go out when the volume was above half. With a replacement AMP, software updates, and many more other attempted fixes, my vehicle finally met the criteria of my states lemon law. Just yesterday, Volvo finally purchased my R-Design back. To any of you who buy new, make sure you document everything and report issues however insignificant to Volvo. Sometimes the little guys win. Hopefully, my new XC40 doesn't repeat the same issue. My dealership was kind enough to throw in everything I had basically purchased for my rdesign free. If anyone needs all weather mats, I got a second set. PM me.

#404 ·
I **** you not boys, day 2 of owning the 2020 XC40. Same **** happened. Speaker went out in center console when I played my music loud. I wonder if the 2021 uses a different manufacturer. I test drove one, albeit less options, it had a louder and different quality sounding speaker compared to what I noticed in my 19 R-Design and 20 MoMnt. Lemon Law claim #2 here I come.

#408 ·
Over the past couple weeks I have noticed a loud scratchy sound when I close the driver side window. Every time I drive onto the Navy base I have to show my ID and roll the window down and up again. The sound seems to start when the window is about halfway closed and gets worse until it closes completely.

Nora in Florida

#409 ·
Automatic braking has engaged twice at 55-60 mph, 2 lane road. A semi-truck was travelling in the opposite direction well within their lane.. That will pin you to your seat.....Had the Auto Brake recall update done in the spring.. Cannot wait to see how this car manages a snow storm and everything ices up....