SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What went wrong with your XC40 today?

115K views 440 replies 132 participants last post by  HKliltXC40 
#1 ·
I wanted to use this thread as any problems or failures you run into during your ownership. We had a similar thread in another forum, and it was helpful to see what often fails and how people get around it or fix it.

I'll start.

My passenger side seat heading is failing. It often doesn't turn on at all, or when it does it is lukewarm. When the seat is lukewarm, you can hear the circuit closing and opening randomly via a mechanical clicking sound at the base of the seat. It's a mechanical clicking sound similar to that of when pushing the seat adjustment button. I have a warranty repair request with the dealer. They won't have a loaner available for almost two weeks...:facepalm:

#3 ·
I’ve had difficulty with the automatic tailgate by using your foot. That could be just on me though

#4 ·
#14 ·
So, this is a weird one...

Oddly, on two separate occasions, when I have made a very tight U-Turn (LOVING the turn radius on this car, BTW), my Sirius Radio station has changed on me. I thought I was losing my mind the first time it happened, but the second time, well....it's not me, its the car when I turn tightly. Anyone have this issue?:eek:

#16 ·
Sensus problems

Over the last two months, I've had some problems with the Sensus system.

On one occasion the volume spontaneously dropped to barely audible while playing music via BlueTooth from my iPhone. None of the volume controls worked on either the touchscreen, knob, or iPhone. It would not respond when I tried to mute it. The only fix was to turn off the engine for a few minutes and restart.

I've lost my phone favorites list on three occasions. They just mysteriously disappear.

One one occasion I was listening to one Sirius channel when it jumped to another station in the middle of a song.

If this keeps up, I'll go in to see if there is a software update.

#103 ·
Over the last two months, I've had some problems with the Sensus system.

On one occasion the volume spontaneously dropped to barely audible while playing music via BlueTooth from my iPhone. None of the volume controls worked on either the touchscreen, knob, or iPhone. It would not respond when I tried to mute it. The only fix was to turn off the engine for a few minutes and restart.

I've lost my phone favorites list on three occasions. They just mysteriously disappear.

One one occasion I was listening to one Sirius channel when it jumped to another station in the middle of a song.

If this keeps up, I'll go in to see if there is a software update.
My keys keep loosing the seat memory positions. One day the seat adjusts the next it won't. Very frustrating. I've ended up resorting to using the memory buttons on the doors instead.
Looks like there may be a few peeps with key memory problems here, I will report back what the dealer says or finds.
Wait, the seats are supposed to adjust to keys as well? That has never happened with ours. The profiles change with no issues, but we've always had to use the door buttons to adjust seats back to memory 1 or 2 position.
Saw my dealer about the intermittent key memory seat positions. When I demo'd it the seats worked perfectly to my settings. Plus my other half's profile settings were not protected. Jury's out if the problem is mine or my ride.
I'm having a driver profile/key issue as well. Mr. Chgoeditor's profile correctly says there is a key connected to it. Mine -- no matter how many times I connect my key to my profile -- never seems to remember. Sometimes I'll get into the car (after he was previously driving) and it recognizes my profile but doesn't reset my seat to the proper position.

Separately, on day 2 of owning it, I got an error about a side collision sensor, though that disappeared pretty quickly.

We're taking a 600+ mile road trip in a couple weeks, so it's going back to the dealer on Friday for a check up in hopes of fixing these minor but annoying issues.

#18 ·
I believe it's more of "in general" than "today" for issues.

#19 ·
I had a kinda interesting day. Pulled in to a jet wash and brush. Started jet wash and brushing away then the car locked and unlocked about 10-15 times, mirrors going crazy. People were looking over kinda curious then the tailgate released fully upwards. All the time I had my key in my pocket and even swapped pockets. People were kinda laughing at this stage. I can only think the brush over the door handles set off the remote with the key in my pocket, no idea how the tailgate got released though. I can laugh now but sure didn't seem funny at the time.:mad::)

#20 ·
Started jet wash and brushing away then the car locked and unlocked about 10-15 times, mirrors going crazy.
My 2016 V60 locks and unlocks, and the mirrors fold and unfold a few times, when I use a jet car wash. I don't think it has to do with the brush touching the sensors, because I never, ever touch my car with a car wash brush. Just the proximity of the fob plus the pressure of the waterjet seems to fool the sensors. 2016 V60 has a manual tailgate, so I may be in for an adventure when I get the XC40.

Sounds like your car wash method works for you, and more power to you. But for the benefit of other readers, here's a link to a UK Fifth Gear video test about "jet wash brushes." It concludes that "scrubbing," with a "jet wash brush" is the single, absolute most destructive wash technique to use on a new-car quality finish. The brush, in a single wash, "absolutely scratched to hell" a new car quality finish, so badly that restoring it would cost "hundreds of pounds." Maybe the people weren't laughing about the locking and unlocking.

#22 ·
Sensus navigation and Carplay incorrect position

Very happy with my XC40 Rdesign, is nice, comfortable, have it all. I received it one month ago, I guess is the first Rdesign in town because is an attraction in the parking's. Well I have an issue with Sensus navigation, it is lost! never shows the right position and impossible to navigate, always is lost. Well I was no very concern, I do not use navigation very often and I prefer to use Maps in CarPlay, but ohh surprise is the same, a soon as you activate CarPlay the navigation turns crazy wrong position and lost, if you unplug de iPhone, immediately correct position and navigation. Android auto works perfect with Google maps and Waze, but sensus and CarPlay are crazy. I went to the dealer and updated system, nothing, still the same problem, they told me they will look for a solution with Volvo and will back to me.

#23 ·
Sensus navigation and Carplay incorrect position

Very happy with my XC40 Rdesign, is nice, comfortable, have it all. I received it one month ago, I guess is the first Rdesign in town because is an attraction in the parking's. Well I have an issue with sensus navigation, it is lost! never shows the right position and impossible to navigate, always is lost. Well I was no very concern, I do not use navigation very often and I prefer to use Maps in CarPlay, but ohh surprise is the same, a soon as you activate CarPlay the navigation turns crazy wrong position and lost, if you unplug de iPhone, immediately correct position and navigation. Android auto works perfect with Google maps and Waze, but sensus and CarPlay are crazy. I went to the dealer and updated system, nothing, still the same problem, they told me they will look for a solution with Volvo and will back to me.

#30 ·
Same here, I noticed a rear squeak over bumps mostly if my music is off. Was planning to raise it at the 3 monthly check up. I will check a couple of things over first. I have a cargo net up at the moment (as my dog guard is on back order) and will also check the spare wheel area.

#48 ·
XC40 dead and no resolution yet...

Hello all,

I have had my XC40 for a little over a month now (made one car payment) and yesterday morning it completely died. I left for work (or tried to) and was able to unlock the vehicle by holding the handle but when I got in, the car would not start. The dashboard screen (behind the steering wheel) came on but nothing else. The screen stayed on for only a short moment and then turned off. I was unable to start, lock, unlock, etc. after that. I contacted Volvo Roadside Assistance and they ended up towing my car to the closest Volvo dealership. Prior to the tow truck arriving, my back tail lights had turned on and the left side was flickering - I opened and shut the driver side door and the lights turned off.

The dealership has not been able to provide any answers as to what is wrong with my car and have not been super detailed with any of their responses when I call. I have been contacted by several people at the dealership and asked what happened step by step prior to the car being towed but still no resolution or anyone taking initiative to make me feel confident that there will be a resolution to the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this??

I have the XC40 momentum.

#49 ·
Update to my previous post from earlier today...

Went to the dealership that is working on my car to get an update and a loaner car and they now "know" what's going wrong but do not have an expected date for me to pick my XC40 up. My vehicle is having a communication error between two softwares which results in a shut down of the entire car. They are able to jump start it but it ultimately results in a "dead battery" state shortly after. The mechanics at the dealership are working with Volvo engineers to resolve the issue and they have yet to receive the OK to release the car back to me. This is literally the first case reported so TBD on the resolution. I did not receive any details other than what I mentioned so I really have no idea when I should expect my XC40 back. Will update as I receive further information.

#51 ·
Update to my previous post from earlier today...

Went to the dealership that is working on my car to get an update and a loaner car and they now "know" what's going wrong but do not have an expected date for me to pick my XC40 up. My vehicle is having a communication error between two softwares which results in a shut down of the entire car. They are able to jump start it but it ultimately results in a "dead battery" state shortly after. The mechanics at the dealership are working with Volvo engineers to resolve the issue and they have yet to receive the OK to release the car back to me. This is literally the first case reported so TBD on the resolution. I did not receive any details other than what I mentioned so I really have no idea when I should expect my XC40 back. Will update as I receive further information.
Hope they figure it out soon. Or they probably should buy it back. Sounds like some cable connection problem.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

#50 ·
Not sure what happened to my first post but to sum it up quickly...

Got in my XC40 to leave for work on Monday morning, it allowed me to unlock my door by grabbing the handle, sat down and tried to start by pushing brake and start/stop button, dashboard behind steering wheel was on but nothing else (main middle screen did not turn on), car would not start and then within a few minutes everything went dead. Was unable to unlock/lock, start, use car key, use app to unlock/lock or start. Called Roadside assistance and they arranged for my XC40 to be towed to closest dealership. Before tow truck arrived, tail lights turned on and left began flickering - opened driver side door and tail lights turned off. Dealership received my car and had no idea what was going on. Did not receive any information until next day (which is my updated post).

I have an XC40 momentum just over one month (made one payment).

#58 ·
My start/stop is starting to get dangerous. Everything was fine but it’s gradually getting worse— when stopped and the engine activates, usually with my foot still on the brake so the a/c can catch up, the car will lurch forward like an inch or 2. When I use auto hold, it doesn’t do this. It’s not a huge deal as I’m never less than 2 inches from the car in front of me, just a little unnerving. Either way I’m still trying to wait until mid July for a service appointment so I can do polestar at the same time.

#59 ·
I should clarify- I do get one about 10 minutes after leaving the car but then get a second one hours later, usually when I am in deep sleep having a great dream (I know these phones listen to everything and even read my mind). I don't want to lock the car in the garage just to satisfy Volvo On Call. But I want the feature in case I forget to lock the car when not at home.