SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What went wrong with your XC40 today?

115K views 440 replies 132 participants last post by  HKliltXC40 
#1 ·
I wanted to use this thread as any problems or failures you run into during your ownership. We had a similar thread in another forum, and it was helpful to see what often fails and how people get around it or fix it.

I'll start.

My passenger side seat heading is failing. It often doesn't turn on at all, or when it does it is lukewarm. When the seat is lukewarm, you can hear the circuit closing and opening randomly via a mechanical clicking sound at the base of the seat. It's a mechanical clicking sound similar to that of when pushing the seat adjustment button. I have a warranty repair request with the dealer. They won't have a loaner available for almost two weeks...:facepalm:

#279 ·
To my experience, almost all you install (functional not cosmetic), not by Volvo, is voiding warranty. You can argue, but in the end, it's your time and effort to fight the dealer/Volvo.
If you install aftermarket rotors and pads, and brakes are seized, Volvo will refuse warranty repair. But other staff, like electrics and electronics (not related to brakes) they will fix under warranty repairs
Some of the dealers less anal-retentive, and your experience may be differ.

Also, see this topic:
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?602477-After-market-accessories-for-the-XC40

#282 ·
Voice commands do not register, instead a get the droning, "what would you like to do?" question repeatedly. Also, I cannot make hands-free calls (person on the other end of the call cannot hear my voice). I've noticed that this issue happens most frequently with the hot weather we've had in the North East, but I can't figure out a fix other than "wait for it to get cooler." Anyone else have experience with this at all?

#283 ·
I am experiencing the same problem. It started happening last Fall, shortly after we got the car in September. We took it in to the dealer, and they disconnected the battery for a period of time, then reconnected it. The problem went away until a couple of months ago. I can't say for sure that it coincides with temperature, but it did not happen over the winter and spring months. I just asked my husband to try the battery trick and will report back later as to its success in resolving the issue.

#287 · (Edited)
2019 R Design, 30,000 miles (I drive a lot). Recent issues, all being taken care of today:
1) Emissions light indicator. Dealership had to order part to replace (warranty) - replaced filler neck
2) Start/Stop service needed indicator. Dealership had to order battery (warranty) - dead cell in old battery, replaced battery.
3) My drivers seat moved when I came to a stop. It was slight, but I felt it. I explained it to another Volvo shop and they could not replicate. I mentioned it to my local Volvo shop, they took it for a ride, and noticed it right away. They are replacing something under the seat (warranty) - bushing in seat frame worn, replaced seat frame and attaching bolts

I also had a recall completed which I was not aware of.

#289 · (Edited)
2019 R Design, 30,000 miles (I drive a lot).
Same. Two months of ownership and im at 8.5k.

Finally got a chance to take my V in today. When I have the volume above the half marker, I lose sound to the speakers inside the center dash and driver-side rear door. It use to be irregular or during some of my 3 hour + road trips, but now it's consistent with a run time of 6 minutes and the aforementioned factor. Dealership is keeping the vehicle over night because they're in communication with Volvo about what to do.

Makes me miss my 2011 T6 S60. Never had to deal with the spotty bluetooth audio out.

Day2: Volvos questions to my Service Center to me

What type of music does the customer listen to?
What volume settings?
Is it at a high setting for a period of a time?
Does the customer live in the same area as the retailer?
Day3: Given back the car. Volvo applied updates after removing and inspecting both speakers.

All in all, problem still not fixed. Doing my own research I'm leaning on wiring or the AMP itself.

#290 ·
Multiple issues with brand new 2020 XC40

Bought my Inscription XC40 new (2020) last Sunday, 9/29 and brought it in to service the following Friday because the keyless entry would not lock the car. Pressing the button on the key fob worked, but not when "pressing" the door handle. I also could not get the foot motion to open the tailgate. On the way to the service department, my Air Conditioner started blowing hot air. Additional bugs were the inability to send destinations to the vehicle nav through the Volvo app and the average MPG was showing 14.3, which didn't seem at all correct.

I was told there was a bad antenna that was causing the keyless entry issue, a bad sensor that was causing the lift gate issue, and software updates were needed to fix the other items. They could not reproduce the faulty AC. The replacement parts are due to arrive today (After almost 1 week in service). We'll see if everything is fixed. Fingers crossed!

#293 · (Edited)
Bought my Inscription XC40 new (2020) last Sunday, 9/29 and brought it in to service the following Friday because the keyless entry would not lock the car. Pressing the button on the key fob worked, but not when "pressing" the door handle. I also could not get the foot motion to open the tailgate. On the way to the service department, my Air Conditioner started blowing hot air. Additional bugs were the inability to send destinations to the vehicle nav through the Volvo app and the average MPG was showing 14.3, which didn't seem at all correct.

I was told there was a bad antenna that was causing the keyless entry issue, a bad sensor that was causing the lift gate issue, and software updates were needed to fix the other items. They could not reproduce the faulty AC. The replacement parts are due to arrive today (After almost 1 week in service). We'll see if everything is fixed. Fingers crossed!
So my car is still in the shop (since 10/4). All suspect parts have been replace and things still do not work properly. Apparently they did at first, but then stopped. Now the car is being remotely reviewed by Volvo Sweden. I was told to expect up to another 7 days for an answer.

#291 ·
I had my XC40 in the shop Tuesday for a “High Beam Malfunction” error message. The right headlight was apparently the issue, and the dealer ordered a replacement. While it was being serviced I test drove a 2020 XC90 T6 Inscription. I ended up leaving with the XC90 and traded in the XC40. :what:

#302 ·
Brake Failure WARNING

Volvo cleared messages and said it was software glitch. "If it happens again, bring it back."
Similar warning came on few weeks ago "Brake Light Failure". Was false alert because nothing wrong with lights.
These are errors since total software update!
Speedometer Vehicle Car Gauge Auto part

#305 ·
Taking XC40 R Design for recall Tuesday for something with the tailgate. After I get the work papers I will post the specific issue. I checked online and there are no listed recalls for anything tailgate related that I could find. They are also replacing the tailgate handle at no charge. The screw on the left side has fallen out and the plastic is cracked. I'm hoping it doesn't completely fall off before my appointment (they had to order part).

#307 ·
Whoa. This is really coincidental, but about a week ago I took our XC40 RDesign in for annual servicing. The tech said they are replacing tailgate handle but needed to order the part. Sounded exactly like what they are doing with your car. Today we returned to the shop for them to install the replacement. The service writer told us that Volvo cancelled the service request, even tho the part already came in. They no longer consider the replacement necessary and we were told that doing so was causing more problems then fixed. Apparently the problem is more common in areas of extreme weather. Since we weren't having any current tailgate issues they said it would be best not to touch anything and wait until something happens. They'll addresses it then. Does not represent the brand too well I'd say.

#308 ·
Interesting. I do live in an area of extreme weather, cold, snow, and lots of road salt. My car has been through one winter. I will post the results of my service appointment.
Unrelated, on the way to work this morning, the second quadrant of my sensus screen was rapidly blinking on and off. My screen has 4 quadrants and the second one shows my Bluetooth connection, what is playing. I took a video to show the techs.

#315 ·
My 2019 XC40 is back at the dealer again today. We have 17k miles so far. We've had to replace..
- tailgate handle
- all four rotors
- fuel filler neck
- stabilizer bar linkage
- windshield

Getting parts has been a problem. Other than the fuel filler neck, they've had to order everything. The stabilizer bar linked took over a month to get. I'm really fed up with this car. Considering the need to order parts, every repair takes two trips to the dealer. I am terrified of what happens when this car is out of warranty.

#335 ·
I'm right there with you. I have 14K miles and have had the following go wrong:

- Burned out headlight module. To replace they had to remove the front bumper and nicked up the paint in several places. (That was at 2 weeks ownership and 500 miles)
- Center dash speaker rattled from day one. Replacement took several weeks to find part and they scratched up the dash replacing it.
- Broken tailgate handle
- Vibration at speeds above 60 MPH. Road force tire rotation did not fix, then they replaced 1 tire which still did not fix. Learning to just live with it.
- Weird steering issue at highway speeds where sometimes steering seems to "hang" when getting out of a corner and won't self center. They can't reproduce it.
- Warped front rotors (replaced on my own so I didn't have to deal with dealer)
- Brake Failure light (dealer can't reproduce it.)
- Random reboots of the Sensus system (dealer can't reproduce it.)

And every time I go to the dealer for these issues they either can't reproduce or parts are not in stock and they have to order them.

#336 ·
Do you happen to have AWD? Some of the S60 and V90 owners have had issues with the AWD system causing vibrations. I have yet to see a single fix, but some are related to a bearing for the rear driveshaft. One of the admins on here had a V90CC that had vibration issues, replaced tires, balanced tires, replaced wheels, and ultimately Volvo bought it back. Not sure what the final conclusion was.

Did the brake failure light happen after replacing the front rotors?

#320 ·
I read this thread voraciously when I was thinking about ordering and then waiting eight months for my XC40 T5 R-Design. I read all the stories and was so worried it would be a lemon. I took possession in early March 2019. I just scheduled my first FSM tonight, as I approach 10k miles. So far, not a single thing has gone wrong. No glitches. No rattles. No squeaks. No leaks. No recalls. No faulty parts. I was skeptical about buying a first-year model, but I'm super impressed. It's been a dream. Minor quibbles: the transmission (or at least the software) SUCKS! Hard shifts. Clunky and inelegant. Seems discordant with the luxury-ish brand and the polish everywhere else. BUT... I see there have been some transmission software updates since March. I'm looking forward to getting eight months worth of software updates next week and seeing if it smooths out the tranny. :) Supposedly it'll also stop that stupid "Your SiriusXM subscription has expired" message, too. Sheesh. I have very minor annoyances with the touch screen and that stupid Sirius message. But, in general? Probably the happiest I've been with any vehicle during its first year in all my 51 years -- and I've owned a pretty wide range of vehicles in those years.

#323 ·
“Harsh” weather? Hey wait a sec. He lives in Boston. I live in Connecticut. The weather here in New England ain’t that bad. Is that what Hawaiians think of our weather? We have four beautiful seasons. The way the world was meant to be! Snow, rain, hot, humidity....we got it all baby! Anything other than that is a freak of nature. Power to the people. Can I get an Amen?! :)

#324 ·
"Harsh" weather? Hey wait a sec. He lives in Boston. I live in Connecticut. The weather here in New England ain't that bad. Is that what Hawaiians think of our weather? We have four beautiful seasons. The way the world was meant to be! Snow, rain, hot, humidity....we got it all baby! Anything other than that is a freak of nature. Power to the people. Can I get an Amen?! :)
That what Volvo seems to use as a measure to decide whether or not to replace/repair the tailgate latch, "in warranty".

#326 ·
Tailgate will not close. I push the close button and it goes down about half way and goes back up. There is nothing in the back to obstruct the closing. The tailgate has to be manually pushed down to close, and it seems like I am working against something when manually closing. I will schedule service.

#328 ·
Front wipers

Hey there, I'm living in Germany and am currently driving a XC40 D4 AWD Inscription nearly fully loaded.
Mileage is about 29000 km, it's about 7 months old.

This afternoon all of a sudden this message pops up - Front wipers not working (sorry, don't know what the car says in English since mine speaks German). Switching the car off & on again didn't help. So I had to drive about 10 km through pouring rain to my dealer. On my way there was another message saying the rain sensor is gone too.:angryfire:

Now I'm sitting here, driving a V60 instead and waiting for a diagnosis.:rolleyes:

Happy this did not happen in the early morning during my drive from home to work on the Autobahn - it was raining cats and dogs then.:D

#331 ·
Hey there, I'm living in Germany and am currently driving a XC40 D4 AWD Inscription nearly fully loaded.
Mileage is about 29000 km, it's about 7 months old.

This afternoon all of a sudden this message pops up - Front wipers not working (sorry, don't know what the car says in English since mine speaks German). Switching the car off & on again didn't help. So I had to drive about 10 km through pouring rain to my dealer. On my way there was another message saying the rain sensor is gone too.:angryfire:

Now I'm sitting here, driving a V60 instead and waiting for a diagnosis.:rolleyes:

Happy this did not happen in the early morning during my drive from home to work on the Autobahn - it was raining cats and dogs then.:D
Culprit was the wiper drive....they changed the motor. Of course never happened before....

#329 ·
The climate system has decided to malfunction. I'm only getting airflow through the far left and right air vents. Regardless of settings, no airflow coming through the centre vents, floor vents, windshield defrost vents, or passenger vents. My feet were cold on the way home from work in this -15C weather!

#332 ·
The driver's side mirror camera on my 360 view went dark and the mirror refused to retract. A quick "cold boot" lock and unlock seemed to sort the problem out.

#333 ·
Today while vacuuming the car, saw some white fuzzy clumps under the front passenger seat of my 2019 XC40 RDesign. Upon further inspection found a pool of water under the carpet under the seat. I know no one spilled anything, it's just water. I sponged out nearly a gallon of water but no sure got all of it without removing the entire carpet, maybe even the seat. Anyone have this problem before? Where's the water coming from? My guess it's from the A/C system and it's accumulated under the seat. :confused:

#338 ·
New(er) owner reporting in. Found this thread searching for brake problems since I've noticed some decent grooves being cut into the rear rotors and upon closer inspection found the brake wear pretty alarming.

This isn't the first make I've seen with some biasing toward the rear brakes causing them to wear faster than the fronts. This is the first time I've seen rear brakes that will be shot in about 20k. No automatic cruise control usage by me as I've seen people blame that. I'll approach the dealer for some compensation come time but if they balk that will be the last Volvo pads and rotors that get used unless there is some significant upgrade done in the future. No way i'm paying ~$500 for new brakes with every third oil change.

Some other little issues I noticed was that the start-stop was pretty poor with a jerk during take off. It was annoying enough that I made it a habit to disable it most every trip. A software update last year either disabled it by default or added a memory to the option which is fine by me.

The automatic folding mirrors freeze in place pretty regularly every winter so I disabled that too.

I've noticed I can get the touch screen software to crash every 30 seconds or so seemingly by keeping the key fob in the floor rest of the passenger seat. Kind of bizarre.

Lastly I've noticed the rear passenger door appears to be retaining water within the door seam. The dealer claimed they couldn't reproduce the issue but after every decent rain fall opening that door releases about a cup of water. I'm sure that will rot out nicely after some more New England winters.