What went wrong with your XC40 today?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Angry What went wrong with your XC40 today?

I wanted to use this thread as any problems or failures you run into during your ownership. We had a similar thread in another forum, and it was helpful to see what often fails and how people get around it or fix it.

I'll start.

My passenger side seat heading is failing. It often doesn't turn on at all, or when it does it is lukewarm. When the seat is lukewarm, you can hear the circuit closing and opening randomly via a mechanical clicking sound at the base of the seat. It's a mechanical clicking sound similar to that of when pushing the seat adjustment button. I have a warranty repair request with the dealer. They won't have a loaner available for almost two weeks...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I couldn't figure out how to turn off the destination search in Waze on Android Auto. It kept trying to take me there even after I already arrived.

I’ve had difficulty with the automatic tailgate by using your foot. That could be just on me though
      Traded In: 06 S60R 6MT Sonicama Elevate Exhaust, Phmic, iPD Stg II,Custom DP w/race cat, EST Ultra Flow Intake, Elevate Sways, SNABB Intake Pipe, SS DEM mod, BT, NAV, Miv w/X1

2019 XC40 T5 Inscription: Denim Blue/Blond
      Wheels: 20" 5 Spoke Diamond Cut
      Packages: Premium, Vision, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel
      Options: Premium Sound, Polestar Tune

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PC Diesel View Post
      Iíve had difficulty with the automatic tailgate by using your foot. That could be just on me though
      There was a whole thread on this =) https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-trunk-opening

It's pretty particular about the motion, link above has some videos that show exactly what you need to do to make it go.

Quote Originally Posted by SeppTB View Post
      I’ve had difficulty with the automatic tailgate by using your foot. That could be just on me though
      There was a whole thread on this 😃 https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...-trunk-opening

It's pretty particular about the motion, link above has some videos that show exactly what you need to do to make it go.
      I will check that out, thank you!
      Traded In: 06 S60R 6MT Sonicama Elevate Exhaust, Phmic, iPD Stg II,Custom DP w/race cat, EST Ultra Flow Intake, Elevate Sways, SNABB Intake Pipe, SS DEM mod, BT, NAV, Miv w/X1

Iíve had difficulty with the automatic tailgate by using your foot. That could be just on me though
      As SeppTB wrote, this has been covered. Try an old school, straight on, "extra point" style football kick (not a back-and-forth swipe), beneath the left-side "V" and "O." If that DOESN'T do the trick, let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Orphanscribe View Post
      As SeppTB wrote, this has been covered. Try an old school, straight on, "extra point" style football kick (not a back-and-forth swipe), beneath the left-side "V" and "O." If that DOESN'T do the trick, let us know.
      The key is to make sure that after the kick you step back, so the sensor can verify that you are out of the way and won't get hit by the opening tailgate. This is Volvo "overthinking" it. If you try to automatically open a tailgate and then the tailgate hits you because you aren't paying attention to the opening tailgate, you should get what you deserve.
      1995 850
      2006 S60 2.5T
      2019 XC40

Another thing I noticed is don't keep the key fob and cellphone in one pocket. It could not be detected sometimes to me.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Another thing I noticed is don't keep the key fob and cellphone in one pocket. It could not be detected sometimes to me.

+1. I've found other large dense objects can interfere, too. Although just now I can't remember what the object was.

I struggled with this for a long time. The key, for me at least, is to swipe your foot high, near the bumper, at the point of the "V" in Volvo. Swiping my foot near the ground doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
      I struggled with this for a long time. The key, for me at least, is to swipe your foot high, near the bumper, at the point of the "V" in Volvo. Swiping my foot near the ground doesn't work.
      Of course you don't want to keep foot on ground while stretch your leg. And wiping is not needed. It is easy just stick in and move out, and step back.
      To narrow it down, the sweet spot for me is between the 2nd left parking sensor and 2nd 'o' letter, on XC60 though.

Every time I close the sunroof, it shakes the whole car. And makes a slight noise like it’s forcing itself to close. Service appointment soon lol
      Fusion Red 19 XC40 T5 R-Design
      Premium, Vision, Advanced, Heated, HK, Pano, 20s, Polestar, Spoiler

Of course you don't want to keep foot on ground while stretch your leg. And wiping is not needed. It is easy just stick in and move out, and step back.
      To narrow it down, the sweet spot for me is between the 2nd left parking sensor and 2nd 'o' letter, on XC60 though.
      Knowing that spot, it’s never once not worked for me.
      Fusion Red 19 XC40 T5 R-Design
      Premium, Vision, Advanced, Heated, HK, Pano, 20s, Polestar, Spoiler

So, this is a weird one...

Oddly, on two separate occasions, when I have made a very tight U-Turn (LOVING the turn radius on this car, BTW), my Sirius Radio station has changed on me. I thought I was losing my mind the first time it happened, but the second time, well....it's not me, its the car when I turn tightly. Anyone have this issue?

On mine you can kick below the "V" near the ground all day the door won't open. Move up 10" near the bumper and it works nearly every time.

Sensus problems

Over the last two months, I've had some problems with the Sensus system.

On one occasion the volume spontaneously dropped to barely audible while playing music via BlueTooth from my iPhone. None of the volume controls worked on either the touchscreen, knob, or iPhone. It would not respond when I tried to mute it. The only fix was to turn off the engine for a few minutes and restart.

I've lost my phone favorites list on three occasions. They just mysteriously disappear.

One one occasion I was listening to one Sirius channel when it jumped to another station in the middle of a song.

If this keeps up, I'll go in to see if there is a software update.

Nothing wrong today. lol. How many times do people need to report "nothing wrong today"?

Nothing wrong today. lol. How many times do people need to report "nothing wrong today"?

I believe it's more of "in general" than "today" for issues.

I had a kinda interesting day. Pulled in to a jet wash and brush. Started jet wash and brushing away then the car locked and unlocked about 10-15 times, mirrors going crazy. People were looking over kinda curious then the tailgate released fully upwards. All the time I had my key in my pocket and even swapped pockets. People were kinda laughing at this stage. I can only think the brush over the door handles set off the remote with the key in my pocket, no idea how the tailgate got released though. I can laugh now but sure didn't seem funny at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
      Started jet wash and brushing away then the car locked and unlocked about 10-15 times, mirrors going crazy.
      My 2016 V60 locks and unlocks, and the mirrors fold and unfold a few times, when I use a jet car wash. I don't think it has to do with the brush touching the sensors, because I never, ever touch my car with a car wash brush. Just the proximity of the fob plus the pressure of the waterjet seems to fool the sensors. 2016 V60 has a manual tailgate, so I may be in for an adventure when I get the XC40.

Sounds like your car wash method works for you, and more power to you. But for the benefit of other readers, here's a link to a UK Fifth Gear video test about "jet wash brushes." It concludes that "scrubbing," with a "jet wash brush" is the single, absolute most destructive wash technique to use on a new-car quality finish. The brush, in a single wash, "absolutely scratched to hell" a new car quality finish, so badly that restoring it would cost "hundreds of pounds." Maybe the people weren't laughing about the locking and unlocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHFwkFTKtMw

My 2016 V60 locks and unlocks, and the mirrors fold and unfold a few times, when I use a jet car wash. I don't think it has to do with the brush touching the sensors, because I never, ever touch my car with a car wash brush. Just the proximity of the fob plus the pressure of the waterjet seems to fool the sensors. 2016 V60 has a manual tailgate, so I may be in for an adventure when I get the XC40.

Sounds like your car wash method works for you, and more power to you. But for the benefit of other readers, here's a link to a UK Fifth Gear video test about "jet wash brushes." It concludes that "scrubbing," with a "jet wash brush" is the single, absolute most destructive wash technique to use on a new-car quality finish. The brush, in a single wash, "absolutely scratched to hell" a new car quality finish, so badly that restoring it would cost "hundreds of pounds." Maybe the people weren't laughing about the locking and unlocking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHFwkFTKtMw
      Thanks for the tip (and the brush felt ever so soft in my hands). First and last time I ever jet wash or brush, hope my crystal white paint is intact.
      AWD D4 R Design Fully loaded UK First Edition Model XC40 Crystal White. Long Term Ownership.

Sensus navigation and Carplay incorrect position

Very happy with my XC40 Rdesign, is nice, comfortable, have it all. I received it one month ago, I guess is the first Rdesign in town because is an attraction in the parkingís. Well I have an issue with Sensus navigation, it is lost! never shows the right position and impossible to navigate, always is lost. Well I was no very concern, I do not use navigation very often and I prefer to use Maps in CarPlay, but ohh surprise is the same, a soon as you activate CarPlay the navigation turns crazy wrong position and lost, if you unplug de iPhone, immediately correct position and navigation. Android auto works perfect with Google maps and Waze, but sensus and CarPlay are crazy. I went to the dealer and updated system, nothing, still the same problem, they told me they will look for a solution with Volvo and will back to me.

Sensus navigation and Carplay incorrect position

Very happy with my XC40 Rdesign, is nice, comfortable, have it all. I received it one month ago, I guess is the first Rdesign in town because is an attraction in the parkingís. Well I have an issue with sensus navigation, it is lost! never shows the right position and impossible to navigate, always is lost. Well I was no very concern, I do not use navigation very often and I prefer to use Maps in CarPlay, but ohh surprise is the same, a soon as you activate CarPlay the navigation turns crazy wrong position and lost, if you unplug de iPhone, immediately correct position and navigation. Android auto works perfect with Google maps and Waze, but sensus and CarPlay are crazy. I went to the dealer and updated system, nothing, still the same problem, they told me they will look for a solution with Volvo and will back to me.

I had a kinda interesting day. Pulled in to a jet wash and brush. Started jet wash and brushing away then the car locked and unlocked about 10-15 times, mirrors going crazy. People were looking over kinda curious then the tailgate released fully upwards. All the time I had my key in my pocket and even swapped pockets. People were kinda laughing at this stage. I can only think the brush over the door handles set off the remote with the key in my pocket, no idea how the tailgate got released though. I can laugh now but sure didn't seem funny at the time.

Thank you for sharing I've had the exact same issue once or twice now lol! I usually put the key in the garage now where it's generally far enough away. It did give me pause the first time though!

Quote Originally Posted by NumberFour View Post
      Thank you for sharing I've had the exact same issue once or twice now lol! I usually put the key in the garage now where it's generally far enough away. It did give me pause the first time though!
      Your welcome.

I was rather relieved the experienc wasn't:

a). a satanic ritual rite for first time Volvo owners
      b). Demonic possession of a vehicle
      c). More worrying a hidden camera television series.
      AWD D4 R Design Fully loaded UK First Edition Model XC40 Crystal White. Long Term Ownership.

Others have complained about this on the pre-SPA 60 series forums. One thing that seems to work is to keep the key fob INSIDE the car (in the center console or something). It shouldn't lock with the key detected inside the car and it eliminates this screwy behavior with the keyless entry. I've done a couple hand washes this way and it seems to do the trick. Before they would trigger the locks/mirrors/etc.
      Current Fleet: 2007 XC90 V8 Sport (Titanium Gray); 2016 S60 T5 Drive-E Premier Polestar (Black Stone, Sport Pkg, Convenience Pkg, BLIS, Tech Pkg)
      Previously Owned: 2005 S60 2.5T AWD (Ice White)

Quote Originally Posted by Sven787 View Post
      Others have complained about this on the pre-SPA 60 series forums. One thing that seems to work is to keep the key fob INSIDE the car (in the center console or something). It shouldn't lock with the key detected inside the car and it eliminates this screwy behavior with the keyless entry. I've done a couple hand washes this way and it seems to do the trick. Before they would trigger the locks/mirrors/etc.
      Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try it out next time

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenzoz View Post
      Knowing that spot, itís never once not worked for me.
      #twss

Squeak coming from rear cargo area...
      on very minor bumps...

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio562 View Post
      Squeak coming from rear cargo area...
      on very minor bumps...
      Same here, I noticed a rear squeak over bumps mostly if my music is off. Was planning to raise it at the 3 monthly check up. I will check a couple of things over first. I have a cargo net up at the moment (as my dog guard is on back order) and will also check the spare wheel area.

In regard to difficulties opening the rear hatch with the key fob and a phone in a pocket...

+1. I've found other large dense objects can interfere, too. Although just now I can't remember what the object was.
      OK, I just read this post. Were you bragging when you wrote it? Or am I just a pervert?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Timewise View Post
      In regard to difficulties opening the rear hatch with the key fob and a phone in a pocket...

OK, I just read this post. Were you bragging when you wrote it? Or am I just a pervert?
      No, yes, and I think it was a garden trowel or something.

Same here, I noticed a rear squeak over bumps mostly if my music is off. Was planning to raise it at the 3 monthly check up. I will check a couple of things over first. I have a cargo net up at the moment (as my dog guard is on back order) and will also check the spare wheel area.
      Any clue yet re rattle ?i spent a few hours trying to diagnose, seems it may be related to the tailgate...I tried changing all the rear cargo configurations, had left/right seat up/down ...with /without cargo floor..
      when I drive with tailgate open... rattle seems to go away... not sure if itís the seal..

Any clue yet re rattle ?i spent a few hours trying to diagnose, seems it may be related to the tailgate...I tried changing all the rear cargo configurations, had left/right seat up/down ...with /without cargo floor..
      when I drive with tailgate open... rattle seems to go away... not sure if itís the seal..
      Hi Antonio,

Took out the cargo net tonight and hey presto squeeking over bumps all gone, now a blissfully silent car. I re-installed the cargo net and tightened it some more, I'll stow it once I get my dog guard.

Hope you find yours.

Could be the latch isnít tightening enough

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
      2017 A4 Allroad P+ W/ Cold weather, warm weather, Florret silver on Charcoal. Loaded (AOA BUYBACK- óó> 2018 Prestige Florret silver full body paint, Warm weather, cold weather, DAP, ROW parts

2018 XC90 Momentum + Convenience, Air suspension, 21 Inch rims, Bright Silver with Charcoal Leather LOADED VCNA buyback ( From 2016 XC90 Osmium Grey)----

(2018 XC90 totaled by a driver who rear ended usóó-> into 2018 Q7 Florret silver Prestige, DAP, Adaptive chassis , cold weather, tow

2017 F150 XLT- 3.5/10 Speed- BLIS, Sport appearance Lightning blue

1946 CJ2A Restore

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast