Is Polestar worth it?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is Polestar worth it?

Hi everyone, I have a D4 Inscription (smallest diesel engine) and the dealer has suggested that I get the Polestar upgrade done. I understand that this is only a software upgrade with no other alterations to the car. My car has what is called the Premium Pack in Australia which includes, air suspension, B&W stereo, rear window tint, black napa leather with power seat, sunroof, rear power headrests and seat flip. All I have done to it is to have the front windows tinted to match the rears, it's Pine Grey (what a fantastic colour).

As yet I have not been quoted any prices, if it's within a reasonable price range (whatever that is) all I want to know, is it worth it?

The Volvo promotion says and I quote:
      "A Polestar Optimisation is not limited to the engine - where we increase power and torque. We also focus on gear shift speed and precision, as well as throttle response. Combined, they form a complete solution that takes your driving to a new level of control and excitement. Polestar is a quick installation which can easily be done while you're waiting. Importantly, you will gain overall performance with no impact to your fuel economy, or to your factory warranty and service intervals."

Thanks in advance..
      David
      Cheers from "down under" Australia... s5156
      2018 XC60 D4 Inscription, Pine Grey, Premium Pack (B&W, Black Napa, Air Susp), Full Window Tint

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

How fast do you need to get to the red traffic light?

I don't know about diesel only that its low end torque is greater than gasoline. If you feel better acceleration will make you happier, go for it. Price in US is around $1.3k.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I have the same engine, and had the same questions. The price where I live in Europe ( prices differ greatly in every market) is between 1.5k - 2k €. I asked my dealer and he asked the main mechanic...the response was that the power gain is about 15 bhp, the torque qurve is somewhat better but that if it was his money he wouldnt go for it. Too expensive and the gains are barely noticeable were his words. I was really pumped and that sort of tured me away from it. I'll probably wait for one of the more reputable Volvo tuners to push out a chip after the car's gone out of warranty.

The real optimisation that interests me is the transmission. That ZF box can be made to shift quicker and smoother. I've tried it in the x3 and 5 series bmw with the similar engine (2.0 d with 190 bhp) and that is what makes the whole car feel much quicker. Maybe the polestar gives greater improvements in that area...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
      Last edited by prowler13; 06-18-2018 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by prowler13 View Post
      I have the same engine, and had the same questions. The price where I live in Europe ( prices differ greatly in every market) is between 1.5k - 2k €. I asked my dealer and he asked the main mechanic...the response was that the power gain is about 15 bhp, the torque qurve is somewhat better but that if it was his money he wouldnt go for it. Too expensive and the gains are barely noticeable were his words. I was really pumped and that sort of tured me away from it. I'll probably wait for one of the more reputable Volvo tuners to push out a chip after the car's gone out of warranty.

The real optimisation that interests me is the transmission. That ZF box can be made to shift quicker and smoother. I've tried it in the x3 and 5 series bmw with the similar engine (2.0 d with 190 bhp) and that is what makes the whole car feel much quicker. Maybe the polestar gives greater improvements in that area...

I just took delivery of my XC60 & had Polestar installed at the port. The Polestar brochure that the dealer gave me to confirm installation says that improved/faster transmission shifts is part of the Polestar package. I can't speak to the value at US $1300 but Polestar is a significant improvement.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription, Pine Grey, Maroon Brown Interior, Polestar, Advanced, Vision, Convenience, Protection, Air Suspension, B&W, etc

I’m not sure if they do the same thing there but in Canada they give you a 30 day trial period. If you don’t like it you take it back to the dealership and they remove the program and refund your money.

Im guessing you have a t5 or a t6? The diff in the bhp is greater, and so is the torque...so pole* is better for the petrol engine. As for the quicker shifting, that might be the only benefit I consider worth having for a d4. The ZF is calibrated out of the box for "comfort"...that means longer shifts, jerky at low speeds and slow to respond when kicking the throttle down. If the pole* really adresses this then its worth the full 2k € imo. If the op takes it in the end please let us all know the diff in the original car and the improved pole * d4.

Dont use Polestar i used tuning chip and software from Holland paid 350 euro and my 2.5t is super with more HP than 1200 euro laying for Polestar. In 2009 I was writing to them asked to come to Slovenia ect ect affer boring too long decided to made this to friend. He desolder chip install new one with software a d im happy many years. Polestar cost too much and please you guys with diesel tractors you dont need more HP. for what? diesel engines are not made like petrol one to enjoy speed and acceleration...ita made for saving stingy guys hahahaa to pull heavy horses or boat or some pig in village... Joking dont jump in air. Diesel is not for tuning. Hate tractor sound on 4000 rpm no more...where to go? at the end all europe stopping cancerogen diesels and Volvo dont produce it in future.

If you dream to have more power more speed forget Polestar but buy petrol car install gpl system. Anyway saving on diesel engine and dreaming to drive like petrol is mission impossible.

No hard feelings guys when I purchase new xc90 in 2006 they all in Volvo shop wanted to convince me for D5...they even give me test one...no thanks o replied.

2.5t best ever Volvo developed engine i ordered. And than stupid Ford convinced Volvo to stop producing but they installed in Kuga models...pitty for best ever engine by Volvo.

NO. my opinion is not for Polestar for diesel.engines if you drive home work and back. If you pull trailer camping boat yacht horses YES.

p.s. my lady allways make full tank. hahahahaha

Volvo Ocean Race 2.5t VOR
      XC90 2.5T VOR AWD 2006 318.600 km
      Proudly GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS and VOR XC90 2.5t Nr. 615 from 1574 Volvo's 31.03.2019 UK
      + 5704 km longest distance traveled to #Volvo600 UK meeting.

Nice plates man....Were you ever in srb....I think I saw that car on the road? The plates are specific and I thought I rec9gnize them....

Try with Apec, I have great experience with them for my A4 2.0TDI 2013 and Alfa 159 1.9JTD 2010
      https://www.apec-chiptuning.be/product/2-0d4-190/
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

From that site it looks like he can go from 190hp Stock to 230hp
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

Stage 2 takes it to 255 :/ allegedly.....well, that seems like a good option once the warranty runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong View Post

p.s. my lady allways make full tank. hahahahaha

Volvo Ocean Race 2.5t VOR
      Nice pic.

I miss my XC90 ORE. Loved the look--and the V8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      His 2016 XC90 T6
      Hers 2015 Mercedes-Benz GL450

Former
      2016 XC 60 R-Design
      2012 XC70 3.2 AWD Twilight Bronze / Mocha
      2006 XC90 Ocean Race; 2004 S60R Silver / Nordkap
      2003 X3 3.0; 1996 328is; 1989 720i (GDM); 1985 M535i, (GDM) RIP; 1980 BMW 320i

Quote Originally Posted by Putertech View Post
      From that site it looks like he can go from 190hp Stock to 230hp
      Exactly
      But what is more significant increase torque from 400 to 480 Nm
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by prowler13
      ZF what?! Volvo Geartronic is an Aisin AW F8FXX box.. It has never been installed in X3 or 5 series..

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Kong
      Dont use Polestar i used tuning chip and software from Holland paid 350 euro and my 2.5t is super with more HP than 1200 euro laying for Polestar. In 2009 I was writing to them asked to come to Slovenia ect ect affer boring too long decided to made this to friend. He desolder chip install new one with software a d im happy many years.
      You do realize that we are talking a €50K+brand new car, still under manufacturer's warranty- not an 11-yr old XC90 with 300K kms on it.. I'd think twice about soldering a 3rd party chip onto an SPA car.. but that's just me..

To the original poster- here's the Polestar optimization details for your car:

https://engineered.polestar.com/au/p...automatic-2018

So the gains would be about 13hp and 40 Nm, in addition to transmission/accelerator remap.. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the $$ or not..

My bad...I thought I saw in a review a while back that they used the same zf box that is in the x3, and the 5 series with the smaller engines. If thats the case....than its more that just recalibration. Not sure what the Aisin box is about...now that I looked it up it seems that xc60 and xc90 are the most upmarket car with this transmission. Others are camrys, clubmans, x1's etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Torsen View Post
      ZF what?! Volvo Geartronic is an Aisin AW F8FXX box.. It has never been installed in X3 or 5 series..

You do realize that we are talking a €50K+brand new car, still under manufacturer's warranty- not an 11-yr old XC90 with 300K kms on it.. I'd think twice about soldering a 3rd party chip onto an SPA car.. but that's just me..

To the original poster- here's the Polestar optimization details for your car:

https://engineered.polestar.com/au/p...automatic-2018

So the gains would be about 13hp and 40 Nm, in addition to transmission/accelerator remap.. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the $$ or not..
      Not 13 HP but 10 HP for D4 with 190 HP

XC60 D4 MY 2018/2018/2019 exist is only with 190HP

Believe it or not, I know people who tuned (made chip tuning) new models AMG GLC 43 and GLA 45 AMG 360 or Golf R with 310HP
      Last edited by BigBang; 06-19-2018 at 07:59 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

The 163 bhp is the entry level d3 engine. It exists in Europe from this year. I think its limited to the manual tho.....not sure. I have been wrong regarding the transmissions before .....

My brother has an English TDI chip in his 2 year old real Polestar that supposedly gives him another 70 ponies. In an objective seat-of-the-pants measurement I would have to say it is close to Porsche 911 in acceleration. No soldering involved - strictly plug-and-play for about $350 IIRC. I was going to put one in my F150 but a Ford guy warned me about warranty issues.

Quote Originally Posted by prowler13 View Post
      The 163 bhp is the entry level d3 engine. It exists in Europe from this year. I think its limited to the manual tho.....not sure. I have been wrong regarding the transmissions before .....

There is a D3 with 150HP. I have not seen a 163HP engine yet, perhaps for a particular market. In Germany, Spain, Austria, Netherlands, Slovenia, Croatia, ...... D3 has 150 HP

The D4 engine is only available with 190HP ( in EU)
      Last edited by BigBang; 06-19-2018 at 08:01 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      There is a D3 with 150HP. I have not seen a 163HP engine yet, perhaps for a particular market. In Germany, Spain, Austria, Netherlands, Slovenia, Croatia, ...... D3 has 150 HP

1st things first, I'd like to say thanks to all those that have replied to my original post. It seems I didn't include enough information with my original question...
      The car is new and still under warranty therefor I have NO desire to put any type of "aftermarket chip" in it.

The engine details are as below and detailed by:
      --------------------- Start of Volvo document -----------------------------------
      XC60 D4 Drive-E AWD Automatic 2018 - Approved for Polestar Engineered Optimisation.

Performance Original Optimised
      Power Mid-Range (hp) 163 176
      Power Mid-Range (kW) 120 130
      Torque Mid-Range (Nm) 400 440
      Power & Torque Mid-Range max (rpm) 1500 - 3000 1500 - 3000
      Power Peak (hp) 190 200
      Power Peak (kW) 140 147
      Power Peak max (rpm) 4250 4000
      Torque (Nm) 400 440
      Torque Peak max (rpm) 1750 - 2500 1750 - 2250
      Acceleration 0-100 km/h (s) 8.4 8.3
      Fuel Consumption, city (l/100 km) 5.8 5.8
      Fuel Consumption, road (l/100 km) 4.8 4.8
      Fuel Consumption, mix (l/100 km) 5.2 5.2
      Emission (g/km) 136 136

Purchase Reference = unknown,maybe not even worth asking!
      When visiting your Volvo dealer quote the following references to describe the product you refer.

Article number: 31669691
      Polestar ID: 2038
      ----------------------------------------------- End of Volvo document---------------------------
      What does all this mean to me, is that most replies seem to think it is of little value (except for faster/better auto gear changes) and this may mean it's way too expensive for such a small gain. I know it's a diesel and some have said it's just a tractor engine and taken the original question to an all together different discussion.

The last thing I wanted to do was create any angst among members, if only they had stayed on the original subject. Anyway it seems as though it's been answered.. too expensive, not enough gain!

Thanks to all who replied, cheers
      David
      2018 XC60 D4 Inscription, Pine Grey, Premium Pack (B&W, Black Napa, Air Susp), Full Window Tint

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post

You're right- it's 150hp for the D3. And yes- I meant relative gains when I said 13hp - not absolute (max hp..) gains..

To the OP- yeah, on paper it doesn't seem like much - even though I'm sure +40Nm of torque will make a world of difference. Not many diesels here on swedespeed (and any and all talk about diesels is welcomed by flames.. ), however there's quite a few people on volvoforums.org.uk who have p* their diesel (D4/D5) and are quite happy with the result.. As said- it all comes down to how easy it is for you to part with the $$ My personal view- if it was UP TO $500 (realistically- we're talking about a software update, chrome badge and a piece of paper.. no more than 1hr of labor is involved..) - I'd go for it in a snap. But $1K+ is def not worth it. But then I drive a D5 - plenty of instant hp and torque

Cheers.

Hi all, just an update on the Aussie price of the "software only" upgrade here in Australia..... you won't believe this but it's true!! $2360 Aussie Dollars, yep that's NOT a misprint!
      This of course means that it could be the most expensive Volvo part listed for the car if you look at what you get. AND of course it's why nobody in their right mind would actually do it for the price with such small gains.. as stated by somebody on here "if it was around $500 you might consider it!"
      Cheers to all, David

I would say that the biggest difference is in transmission tweaks. On D5 increase in torque is 20nm and 5HP but application of power is on another level. Definitely go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by s5156 View Post
      1st things first, I'd like to say thanks to all those that have replied to my original post. It seems I didn't include enough information with my original question...
      The car is new and still under warranty therefor I have NO desire to put any type of "aftermarket chip" in it.

The engine details are as below and detailed by:
      --------------------- Start of Volvo document -----------------------------------
      XC60 D4 Drive-E AWD Automatic 2018 - Approved for Polestar Engineered Optimisation.

Performance Original Optimised
      Power Mid-Range (hp) 163 176
      Power Mid-Range (kW) 120 130
      Torque Mid-Range (Nm) 400 440
      Power & Torque Mid-Range max (rpm) 1500 - 3000 1500 - 3000
      Power Peak (hp) 190 200
      Power Peak (kW) 140 147
      Power Peak max (rpm) 4250 4000
      Torque (Nm) 400 440
      Torque Peak max (rpm) 1750 - 2500 1750 - 2250
      Acceleration 0-100 km/h (s) 8.4 8.3
      Fuel Consumption, city (l/100 km) 5.8 5.8
      Fuel Consumption, road (l/100 km) 4.8 4.8
      Fuel Consumption, mix (l/100 km) 5.2 5.2
      Emission (g/km) 136 136

Purchase Reference = unknown,maybe not even worth asking!
      When visiting your Volvo dealer quote the following references to describe the product you refer.

Article number: 31669691
      Polestar ID: 2038
      ----------------------------------------------- End of Volvo document---------------------------
      What does all this mean to me, is that most replies seem to think it is of little value (except for faster/better auto gear changes) and this may mean it's way too expensive for such a small gain. I know it's a diesel and some have said it's just a tractor engine and taken the original question to an all together different discussion.

The last thing I wanted to do was create any angst among members, if only they had stayed on the original subject. Anyway it seems as though it's been answered.. too expensive, not enough gain!

Thanks to all who replied, cheers
      David

The Polestar upgrade now also includes more torque to the rear wheels for all post 2016 cars. This might swing it for me.

I went through the thread - can someone who actually done the upgrade in Volvo dealer can advise about handling ?

IMO increasing power even further (on already pushed hard Volvo diesel's) is risky, but we are all interested how this upgrade actua6 feels to judge if it's worth it...

Volvo gearbox on my XC90 D5 is the weakest link for fun. Even Kuga was more dynamic to drive, so it will be great if someone who done it could tell about

A) feeling of gearbox
      B) cornering & handling
      C) power feel

Quote Originally Posted by birkopf View Post
      I went through the thread - can someone who actually done the upgrade in Volvo dealer can advise about handling ?

IMO increasing power even further (on already pushed hard Volvo diesel's) is risky, but we are all interested how this upgrade actua6 feels to judge if it's worth it...

Volvo gearbox on my XC90 D5 is the weakest link for fun. Even Kuga was more dynamic to drive, so it will be great if someone who done it could tell about

A) feeling of gearbox
      B) cornering & handling
      C) power feel

Gearbox is much crisper, at some moments of over-boost it peaks at 255hp and 520nm which is really there when you are overtaking. In dynamic mode it feels like gearbox is following maps on your navi because it holds gears perfectly trough corners. I have D5 and it’s massive difference before and after polestar.

2018 XC60 D5 Inscription w. Polestar tune
      2011 XC60 D5 Summum

Quote Originally Posted by Akhk View Post
      Gearbox is much crisper, at some moments of over-boost it peaks at 255hp and 520nm which is really there when you are overtaking. In dynamic mode it feels like gearbox is following maps on your navi because it holds gears perfectly trough corners. I have D5 and it’s massive difference before and after polestar.
      Have you noticed any changes in fuel consumption?

Quote Originally Posted by cezarpl View Post
      Have you noticed any changes in fuel consumption?
      Same as before.

2011 XC60 D5 Summum

Thanks. Then I need to think about that. Here in Warsaw (Poland) it's ca. EUR 950...

Quote Originally Posted by cezarpl View Post
      Thanks. Then I need to think about that. Here in Warsaw (Poland) it's ca. EUR 950...
      It’s similar in Bosnia too, but it’s worth it.

2011 XC60 D5 Summum

In the US they are now offering Polestar at cost. I was quoted $836 installed for 2017 V60 T5 FWD. At that price... I think I will pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by jrblack614 View Post
      In the US they are now offering Polestar at cost. I was quoted $836 installed for 2017 V60 T5 FWD. At that price... I think I will pull the trigger.
      jrblack614, you have a 2017 V60, so the Polestar update price for the XC60 (SPA) may not be the same. But great for you!!
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription - B & W

Question

Can anyone provide the Volvo Part Number for the Polestar Software for a 2018 XC60 T6 ?

I ask because two local dealers could not find it listed !
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription - B & W

Quote Originally Posted by VeeXCee View Post
      Can anyone provide the Volvo Part Number for the Polestar Software for a 2018 XC60 T6 ?

I ask because two local dealers could not find it listed !
      It is a listed accessory:

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...0AWD/Automatic
      Op. No.: 36012-2
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast