Battery recommendations?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Battery recommendations?

I have 2006 s40 2.4L After not driving it for a week looks like my battery has dumped.. 5 months ago it drained fully while driving when my alternator died... So I figured its days were limited.. but the last few days of 90 degree days must have killed it... That and my head liner started to drop in the rear window area....

Hooked up a charger to it and left it for awhile and then I drove to work highway speeds for hr.. and then it barely started 8hrs later..

So any recommendations?

Looking at an interstate brand.. I was going to head to Costco as they seem to have the best price.. ( I thought I read somewhere that the battery application chart was wrong at costco)...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'd recommend any AGM battery of the correct size provided your charger can properly charge a AGM battery, check the stickies it has the battery group sizes listed there for base and premium audio. I forget what they are.
      2009 V50 T5 AWD GT: Work in progress (1) (2) (3)

94R battery is the one you want. It's the bigger one out of the cars with premium sound.
      2007 V50 T5 AWD M66 ~ Custom machined weighted shiftknob powdercoated wrinkle polstarblue, Custom pod filter intake, Muffler delete, 18" Pegasus IPD Reps, EBC redstuff pads, EBC blank rotors.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Crazy price differenchttps://forums.swedespeed.com/newreply.php?p=7056483&noquote=1es.. Tire shop selling interstate wanted to sell me one for 229...

Exclusive For Costco
      Fitment Code: 30
      $ 143.99
      ATTENTION: Due to HAZMAT compliance requirements, shipping is not available for automotive batteries at this time. Please visit your local Costco Wholesale Club to purchase the battery that’s right for you. IMPORTANT NOTE: Refundable core charge of $15.00 not included

Item Number 883482
      Group Size H7 (94R)
      Cold Cranking Amps 765
      Cranking Amps 955
      Voltage 12
      Reserve Capacity (RC) @ 25 hr 140
      Amp Hours (Ah) @ 10 Hr 80
      Length 12 6/16
      Width 6 14/16
      Height 7 8/16
      Weight 46.7
      Termination Code Common Code A
      Wet/Dry W

take into account possibly needing a different battery terminal attachment/shoe if you upsize the battery. i wanted to “upgrade” but forgot to order the shorter shoe and ended up staying with the same size battery when my battery suddenly died. and they didn’t have an agm in that size at pep boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak • 18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Stage 1 Tune • GoVo ECU Spacer • Ford e-Focus Mount • Bilstein B8 • H&R Springs • Elevate Rear Swaybar • Volvo Strut Bar • Massive Camber Arms • Centric Rotors • Akebono Pads • Hankook Ventus Evo2 235/40/18 • Mods4cars SmartTop • Llumar/Madico Tint • E46 Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 • LED Int/Ext/Halos • Fryalip • Custom Leather Steering Wheel Wrap • CocoMats Black Sisal • IPD Skidplate • Fumoto F104N Valve

Yes, make sure to read the battery sticky. H5, H6 & H7 are the acceptable sizes. Different "shoes" & hold downs depending on size. With the improvement in battery technology I'm not sure why you'd need anything more than an H6. AGM if you really want but there is nothing wrong with a quality conventional. I actually have a neat situation where I live. A former Interstate dealer quit & started his own battery shop. He gets all the same quality Johnson Control, etc. batteries but privately branded or not branded at all. He has "blems" as well. Pricing is just over a $100 bucks for an H6 which even beats Walmart. I lucked out recently when I needed a battery for my Audi. $55 for a H7 blem.

Edit: Check to see what size you have presently. If you don't already have an H7 (you probably don't) you'll need to add in the cost of a new "shoe". No need to go crazy on the battery size in NC. H6 is more than ample here in MN.
      Last edited by pczeilon; 06-27-2018 at 08:18 PM.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

In this situation you will have tiers based on what you want to buy:

AGM is good and the type you want if you want drop in.
      The more you pay for any good quality brand (interstate, duralast, etc) will typically dictate the length of the warranty on the battery. Interstate is the longest with 6 years and you pay for it with an extra $50-$75 on the battery. However the next closest industry leader is the Duralast Gold and comparable brands which come with a 3 year and are just that much cheaper. Then you have the Duralast Silver types which typically have 1 year or so. Then you have the Everstart and other walmart class brands. Cheap, for a reason.

If you're adventurous, try an Optima - well worth the money.

If you're really adventurous, try combining two LiFePO4 (Lithium) or a single one of significant enough capacity. I have to say going from 50lbs or so to just 12 is kind of eyeopening.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      Then you have the Everstart and other walmart class brands. Cheap, for a reason.
      I have a Walmart in mine and it's been working great for years. I don't like to invest in insurance, personally.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      I have a Walmart in mine and it's been working great for years. I don't like to invest in insurance, personally.
      I had an everstart. Worked great till it left me stranded randomly one day two winters ago.

You don't invest in warranties? When it comes to anything over $150, I do. Anything $149 and under is expendable and easily repurchaseable if you get a poor unit. I don't like spending big money without assurances.

Cobalt had 100,000 and had to have $7,000 in transmission work and radio/gauge display replacement in the first 43k, covered entirely by warranty. The Ram 2500 had a warranty through Wells Fargo. Not that it did me much good as they told me I would have to slag the entire motor to get the injectors replaced under warranty (basically catastrophic injector failure heating up the piston to melt to the wall, which is like a $5,000 vs a $20,000 repair and dumb as ****) but never really had any significant issues on it. I did not do it on this car for example, and got screwed every step of the way after I got it home. Phones nowadays are not repairable with their mated glass exteriors so one of many impacts can shatter them easily, insurance fixes that worry just in case. Stuff like that. Snap on tools - same thing - gonna pay an arm and a leg, but you break it and it'll get replaced for free, etc.

Glad you've had the luck to not do it. I unfortunately do not have any luck in this realm.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      You don't invest in warranties? When it comes to anything over $150, I do. Anything $149 and under is expendable and easily repurchaseable if you get a poor unit.
      I spent significantly less than $150. I chose an Everstart H6, IIRC, that's listing today at $117.93. I did have to change out the top holddown strap though. It was taller than the stock unit that my car was configured for.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Something to think about if you do get an interstate battery from Costco is that you can only return it to Costco for warranty issues. You can't take it to any one who sells interstate. Probably will never be a problem, but just thought you should know.

Yes I have used Costco for a few cars now.

This matched the battery I removed So no new battery hold downs

Exclusive For Costco
      Fitment Code: 30
      $ 143.99

Item Number 883482
      Group Size H7 (94R)

I just made sure I took the freshest battery 6/18 The ones in the front had 1/18 stickers...

Diehard AGM battery.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements