Radiator fan always turns on after engine start
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Radiator fan always turns on after engine start

Hi,
      I've tried googling, but most of the results that came up were about V70s and their fans being constantly on, which is different from what I've got, so here we go. On my V50 T5 MY2010, I've been noticing this somewhat weird behaviour. Doesn't bother me, unless (like last time) you've got to start your car in the middle of the night trying not to wake up everybody around and then the fan kicks in...
      No matter what's the weather outside (-10C or +30C), when I start the car, the fan kicks in at what I think is 100% for some 10-15 seconds and then goes to normal operation mode i.e. dependent on engine temperature.
      Is this a bug or a feature? And if it's a feature, then what for (especially winter time)?
      Just in case: AC works fine, no errors in Vida.
      Thanks in advance!
      Last edited by mr.a; 06-29-2018 at 05:32 AM.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66 / BSR Stage 1 / Eibach pro -3 cm springs / iPd TCV / do88 IC, pipes and hoses / eFocus torque mount

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Do you think this is a problem with the car? I've owned my 05 s40 for about 6 mos and any time I start the car, the fans come on full for a bit and then slowly spin down. I figured it's just the PCM testing the fan operation. If your fans run continuously, maybe your check engine light is out and your car is defaulting to a safety mode. If the fans shut off after a bit, I'd bet it's just the way the car operates.

That's exactly what I'm trying to find out.
      2010 V50 T5 AWD M66 / BSR Stage 1 / Eibach pro -3 cm springs / iPd TCV / do88 IC, pipes and hoses / eFocus torque mount

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Well, all I can tell you is that mine does not do that. Had to replace the fan once due to a cracked shroud. Neither fan had that behavior. Do either of you have automatic climate control? I do not. Just thinking about what any differences might be. Doesn't really sound like "bad" behavior in any case.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

I'm pretty sure my car has auto climate control. I never use it. I just adjust the temp and blower manually.

My car does it too. I have the automatic climate control. The fan will run at a higher speed for thirty seconds or so. I believe the car is just testing fan operation. My check engine light isn’t on and my car is 100% in good working condition and it has just always done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Barents Blue Metallic S40 T5 AWD M66 Manual

Thanks for the replies. Good if it's a standard feature, but still quite confusing why does it do it in winter time. I mean engine is already as cold as it can be and then it just sucks under the bonnet and specifically to battery box more cold air. This is especially counter-productive when engine heater is used.

Mine does this too. Always thought something was slightly broken. I'm glad it's just a P1 quirk.
      Passion Red 2006 V50 T5 AWD M66 - Climate, Premium, and Dynamic packages
      Laser Red 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, D2 A8 Brakes Front & Rear

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements