Need Color Combo Advice
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Need Color Combo Advice

Hi All,

Just placed an OSD order on a new XC-90. Super excited but a tad overwhelmed by all the decisions that need to be made in short order.
      Immediate question is color combo.

A few quick caveats:

• We prefer light and airy feeling interiors. Ironically all the Volvo ads show blonde interiors while every car on the lot seems to be dark grey!
      • We don't want Black paint and we don't want charcoal leather upholstery
      • I fear the blond may not hold up to two active dogs.

So we are looking at Amber and Maroon for the interior. Leaning towards the Maroon, as it has the Blond vs Charcoal headlining that they use for the Amber which makes it feel lighter and more open inside. That said I haven't been able to seen many combinations live in person, and colors are notoriously hard to judge in photos. Not sure if the Maroon is so dark that it does better with a lighter more contrasting paint color like white or silver or if it works well with darker colors too like Osium Grey or Denim Blue. Best guess right now for my ideal combo is Denim Blue and Maroon Brown, anyone seen this in person? Anyone have this combo?

I welcome your thoughts!

Scott
      Last edited by scooterb; 06-29-2018 at 01:14 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Maroon works well for me. Same reason I don't want black ceiling that somehow makes the inside look like a cave to me. And it blends well with most exterior colors, great with Denim blue.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb View Post
      Hi All,

Just placed an OSD order on a new XC-90. Super excited but a tad overwhelmed by all the decisions that need to be made in short order.
      Immediate question is color combo.

A few quick caveats:

• We prefer light and airy feeling interiors. Ironically all the Volvo ads show blonde interiors while every car on the lot seems to be dark grey!
      • We don't want Black paint and we don't want charcoal leather upholstery
      • I fear the blond may not hold up to two active dogs.

So we are looking at Amber and Maroon for the interior. Leaning towards the Maroon, as it has the Blond vs Charcoal headlining that they use for the Amber which makes it feel lighter and more open inside. That said I haven't been able to seen many combinations live in person, and colors are notoriously hard to judge in photos. Not sure if the Maroon is so dark that it does better with a lighter more contrasting paint color like white or silver or if it works well with darker colors too like Osium Grey or Denim Blue. Best guess right now for my ideal combo is Denim Blue and Maroon Brown, anyone seen this in person? Anyone have this combo?

I welcome your thoughts!

Scott
      Good choice maroon. I wanted something that darkish if not darker brown, when I bought mine but tan was the only option available.

Maroon really looks great. Go for it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Denim Blue and Maroon Brown is just a perfect combo.

All have different likes and dislikes, mine, and my favorite, is Osmium Grey with Blonde interior. Very light and airy. Two dogs could, however, change the equation.

Get the Maroon brown with the blonde Nubuck headliner. It's by far the best and classiest combo made. I love ours.

Quote Originally Posted by zark1213 View Post
      Denim Blue and Maroon Brown is just a perfect combo.
      Thanks for weighing in! You have this combo I think? Any good pics to share?

I think the maroon brown is a great interior color choice. Consider the luminous sand exterior. I think that combination would be a nice contrast.
      2006 XC70 (traded for XC60)
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD (traded for XC90)
      2018 XC90 T6 Momentum + Maple Brown metallic/amber leather, air suspension, (picked up at dealer 6/22/17)
      Added Polestar 10/26/17

Quote Originally Posted by gsb4522 View Post
      I think the maroon brown is a great interior color choice. Consider the luminous sand exterior. I think that combination would be a nice contrast.
      I have seen a similar combination in a Lexus RX350 and it was absolutely beautiful.
      2013 XC60>2015.5 XC60>2018 XC60, 2020 XC60.
      2016 XC90 Inscription>2018 XC90 R-Design Polestar

Thanks all for the input. Sounds like I may be on to something with the Denim Blue/maroon brown combo. Anyone have this combo? Any pics to share? I've been trying to search but not coming up with much beyond denim/blond or denim/amber....

I have 3 dogs AND a blond interior. I've had no problems keeping the interior like new. A towel or cover on the back seat when the dogs travel is all that's needed.
      Just stay clear of wearing blue jeans while driving.

put the dogs in a cage in the back and you'll not have any problems with a blonde interior....except all the hair you'll need to constantly vacuum.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Thanks all for the input. Sounds like I may be on to something with the Denim Blue/maroon brown combo. Anyone have this combo? Any pics to share? I've been trying to search but not coming up with much beyond denim/blond or denim/amber....
      Here is one, shows a pic with interior and Denim Blue on door frame. The maroon seat looks darker than this in real eyes though.
      And those exterior pics here looks not real Denim Blue color.

http://shopautobahn-volvo.ebizautos....-17509298.html
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 07-06-2018 at 01:02 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Here is one, shows a pic with interior and Denim Blue on door frame. The maroon seat looks darker than this in real eyes though.
      And those exterior pics here looks not real Denim Blue color.

http://shopautobahn-volvo.ebizautos....-17509298.html
      This colour is beautiful, especially now that the back of headrests and possibly that for seats are colour coded.

Take this colour with natural wood trim and you'll have a bomb of interior.

I heard others say they prefer lighter coloured headlining, but mine is black and blends beautifully with the black dash top all the way up the A-Pillar.

------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

A bit biased but luminous sand is very striking and is different than many cars on the road. someone on this forum posted some amazing pictures of a luminous sand in the wild.

My Xc60 was luminous sand with blond interior. Not that hard to keep clean actually.
      2006 XC70 (traded for XC60)
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD (traded for XC90)
      2018 XC90 T6 Momentum + Maple Brown metallic/amber leather, air suspension, (picked up at dealer 6/22/17)
      Added Polestar 10/26/17

I’m with the Maroon Brown team too. For some reason, pics always make the seats appear lighter and when you have the black headliner, it looks even better. This interior combo is truly something to see (and own). I personally love the Denim Blue with this combo but wife prefers silver so we opted for Electric Silver when ordering. When it arrived, I was really impressed at how well it came out, mainly because we also chose the black headliner option.
      18 XC90 Inscription. Electric Silver, Maroon Brown, 20” five spoke matte black wheels, B&W, Convenience, Polestar, Air Suspension, HUD, Heated Steering/Rear seats, Black headliner, Tow bar, Load carrier, Skid plate.

I’ve always thought light sliver and brown interior are a perfect combination.

Just wish Volvo would get their brown a bit darker brown “ chocolate” rather than maroonish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by anbu-kakashi View Post
      I’m with the Maroon Brown team too. For some reason, pics always make the seats appear lighter and when you have the black headliner, it looks even better. This interior combo is truly something to see (and own). I personally love the Denim Blue with this combo but wife prefers silver so we opted for Electric Silver when ordering. When it arrived, I was really impressed at how well it came out, mainly because we also chose the black headliner option.
      +100

Denim blue with maroon brown. Love it.
      Attached Images Attached Images
      2018 XC90 T8 Inscription Denim Blue/Maroon Brown Leather
      2014 MB CLS550 Palladium Silver/ Black Sport Leather
      2015 MB GLK350 Polar White/ Sahara Beige MB Tex
      2005 Lexus SC430 Twilight Amethyst Pearl/ Ecru Leather

Quote Originally Posted by obp View Post
      Denim blue with maroon brown. Love it.
      Beautiful. Well done.

The door panel needed some B & W's yellow cone speaker for that extra added touch

------

You gotta do denim/maroon! I get so many compliments on the color combo!!

2018 XC90 T6 Inscription - Denim Blue/Maroon Brown Luxury, Convenience, B&W, Protection +, Air Suspension

Retired
      2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit V8 - Red/Tan

Quote Originally Posted by MASSxc90 View Post
      You gotta do denim/maroon! I get so many compliments on the color combo!!

This is indeed an amazing combo
      Add black headliner and darker wood trim and you got perfect harmony

Quote Originally Posted by Steve13 View Post
      All have different likes and dislikes, mine, and my favorite, is Osmium Grey with Blonde interior. Very light and airy. Two dogs could, however, change the equation.
      Thanks for all the input gang. So many combos I REALLY liked.

As fate would have it we are getting Steve's favorite Osmium Grey and Blonde Interior, as I just got a VERY sweet deal on a pre-build 2018 T-6 that was just TOO good to pass up!

Dogs will be getting a swanky Variocage (also Swedish made) set up in the back to keep them off the blonde leather!
      Last edited by scooterb; 07-15-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Enjoy 😊 1
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription | Osmium Grey | All Options | Polestar

For dogs i would go with black, i have a XC90 Rtype with a black interior but Rtype is suede and nubuck. I have the pearl white for exterior. Also get a dog hammock and get protectors for the doors (when window is down) if u have those things then ur dogs will hardly touch leather and u can go with any color.

Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      This colour is beautiful, especially now that the back of headrests and possibly that for seats are colour coded.

Take this colour with natural wood trim and you'll have a bomb of interior.

I heard others say they prefer lighter coloured headlining, but mine is black and blends beautifully with the black dash top all the way up the A-Pillar.

Too dark.......

I love my denim blue with AMBER. Like you, i wanted a light interior after so many years of black leather. I have two dogs and a girl who wears dark jeans that transfer dye to the amber, but it wipes right off easily with a wet rag (I use Chemical Guys leather cleaner once per week because I'm obsessed about my car). I don't have a photo of the interior on me right now, but it looks REALLY good with denim blue as the paint. I get compliments all the time. I thought the maroon looked nice, too, and I almost got it, but it's darker than it shows in photos and I felt it detracted from the light interior I really wanted.

Attachment 43195
      HIS: 2018 XC90 T6 Inscription/Denim Blue Metallic/Amber nappa leather/Polestar/B&W/Convenience/Air Suspension/HUD/Climate/Protection Package
      HERS: 2017 BMW X1 xDrive 28i/Olive Metallic/Canberra/Tech/Premium/Driving Assistance Plus/Cold Weather Package/Harman Kardan audio

Thanks all, so as fate would have it my too good to be true deal on the 2018 was in fact too good to be true, and fell through during the order process, heavy sigh....after three strike outs on the pre-build route, I am back to ordering new. One upside is I now get to pick my color scheme again, and I am leaning towards my original choice of denim blue with Maroon brown interior though I think the maroon could look pretty slick with the bright silver or luminous sand. Most photos I have seen of the maroon interior look funky but I think that has to do with the lighting. I think Heimdall's seems closest to what I imagine the real thing is like and that is gorgeous. That said I am going with Momentum not Inscription (can't afford it), so I will have the dark birch inlays. Anyone seen the Marroon leather with the dark birch, does it work okay together? Not a fan of the brushed aluminum...

Silver will go very nicely with Maroon. So would white and all other colors, trust me.

It'll also look nice with brushed aluminum, but my other choice would be the other naturally looking wood (if available on Momentum as an option) before opting for the dark, glossy birch inlays.

I dont know if your budget allows it, but putting stitched leather on top of the dash and doors will make your momentum even more special.

Good luck

------

I thought Maroon was only available on a Inscription. Just tried building one on the website, would not allow it on a Momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
      I thought Maroon was only available on a Inscription. Just tried building one on the website, would not allow it on a Momentum.
      This is an OSD order so model year 2019. The website is still reflecting 2018.

This is an OSD order so model year 2019. The website is still reflecting 2018.
      Strange
      There were many momentum+ on my dealers lot with the Maroon interior, which he tried to sell me on. That was MY 2018 in the September 2017

I am curious....how did you place an order without choosing an exterior and interior color?
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      I am curious....how did you place an order without choosing an exterior and interior color?
      Hi Grecian. I DID declare a color combo when I submitted my original OSD order (Denim Blue with Maroon interior), but I was told there was date up to which I was able to make changes to items like color scheme. But based on what I am hearing in this thread my original gut instinct seemed pretty solid.
      Last edited by scooterb; 07-25-2018 at 11:27 AM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements