Reduced Engine Performance after hard acceleration
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reduced Engine Performance after hard acceleration

We just brought our 2018 T6 XC90 into the dealership for service today. The car started throwing the "Reduced Engine Performance" error after every hard acceleration. Once the error is thrown the car is shaky and won't drive pass 24 mph. The dealership thinks its a software issue. They've had one similar issue that ended with Volvo buying the car back. Has anybody else experienced this issue with their XC90?
      Last edited by kingluke; 07-19-2018 at 08:37 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This has happened to me 3 times and most recently 3 days ago. All 3 times due to busted spark plugs. The second time it occurred, they had to replace the engine because a piece of it dropped into the cylinder. This past time I was “lucky” and it only split. Good luck!

Volvo tech came out and downloaded all the error codes from the vehicle. Here is what the tech said:

"The issue is that the car is detecting a issue that is not actually happening. Your engine control unit thinks there is a misfire in the engine when in actuality the engine is performing as designed."

The dealership will let us know tomorrow if they can come with a fix. I'm quite concerned with this "fix", thinking they are just going mask the error by programming the computer. Hopefully that's not what they will be doing...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Just brought my MY18 in for that today. Its happened about 8 or 9 times in the last 3 months. Tech doesn't know whats wrong and said they are waiting for Volvo tech to get back to them. Don't have a good feeling about this.

Wonder if the turbo pressure could cause a hose to loosen. The Ford Explorer had this issue across their Sport models.
      2016 Black XC90 R Design with B&W, 4C, tow, climate, convenience, Polestar

There’s something seriously wrong with many of the engines- between this and the throttle lag and sluggishness and power bursts, cracked plugs etc.... Sell or lemon out!

They didn't have a fix for our issue. They service manager says the Volvo tech knew about this issue and for some reason a handful of MY18 has this issue. Our XC90 is still at the dealership and we have started the buy back process.

One advice I would recommend is be very aggressive on getting the buyback/trade process moving. I believe once the car has sat on the dealership for 14 days without a fix you can start the buy back process.

I have had the "Reduced Engine Performance" error come up twice on my 2018 V90 CC T6.

A little background about the Vehicle and the situation.

The Vehicle is almost a month old and has around 1700 miles on it. It also has the Polestar Tune on it. Its been driven on free-of-traffic Interstates for almost all its miles.

Both the times the Reduced Engine Performance error has come up, it has been really warm outside (around 90F). Both times, the Car was driven on the Interstate around 75-80 mph for a good 15 minutes or so on comfort mode with Pilot Assist. Then I've put the Vehicle into the Dynamic mode and after a couple of strong accelerations (>110 mph), the Reduced Engine Performance message pops up.

Surprisingly, I have not detected any reduction in performance, the Car is still mighty zippy and quick as it would be in a Polestar equipped Dynamic mode. Yesterday, after the error popped up and me finding no reduction in the performance , I tried accelerating and the Car very smoothly touched 90-95 mph.

And the blinking message goes off after maybe 10-odd seconds of flashing, never to come back.

For some reason, my gut says, maybe the Vehicle is heat-soaking? In both situations, the Vehicle has been standing in an open parking lot for 8 long hours under direct Sun before I drive it on a (relatively traffic-free) Interstate for 10-15 mins while already cruising at 75-80 mph and my last 5-10 mins on the Interstate, I put it on Dynamic and take it to 100+ mph speeds.

Also, to note, I have driven my Car in the Dynamic mode at least 20-30 times; if not more. This error thing has only happened to me twice; both times under the same exact circumstances!

Any tips, tricks, wise words, advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
      Last edited by Volvolic; 07-20-2018 at 06:54 AM.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

I don't have an answer but am curious by what you mean to be hard acceleration. Are you trying to get to 110 mph as fast as the engine will allow, or is it simply going at a rapid rate of speed? Said another way, if you floor it from a dead stop, do you get the same error message?
      2016 Black XC90 R Design with B&W, 4C, tow, climate, convenience, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by huntpsu1 View Post
      I don't have an answer but am curious by what you mean to be hard acceleration. Are you trying to get to 110 mph as fast as the engine will allow, or is it simply going at a rapid rate of speed? Said another way, if you floor it from a dead stop, do you get the same error message?
      By Hard Acceleration, I mean travelling at 75-80 mph and then switching from Comfort to Dynamic mode, waiting a couple of seconds to find the correct lane & spot and then pedal to the floor till it reaches a 110-120 mph.

The error never pops up the first time I do this hard acceleration on the Interstate. Its always the 3rd or the 4th time when I floor it (3/4th to full throttle) in a matter of 3-5 mins, I get the error message.

I have never tried to floor the vehicle from a dead-stop. I let the Vehicle always get to its operating conditions and then floor it. Also, the Vehicle defaults to Comfort mode when I start and I can't remember to put it in Dynamic from the get go. It's always after miles of driving in Comfort mode that I put it in Dynamic and floor it.

On cooler days, I have floored the vehicle the same exact way on the same exact stretch of road and gotten past 135 mph multiple times and it has never given me an error.

Its only when its really warm. That's one constant I have noticed in the two times I've gotten the Reduced Engine Performance error. And even then, no actual reduction in Engine performance. It still drives and performs the same exact way even with an error being displayed on the screen.

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Quote Originally Posted by huntpsu1 View Post

My hard acceleration was WOT from dead stop or WOT to pass somebody from the freeway. Didn't matter which scenario, issue was alway reproducible.

Kingluke, the dealer called today and said Volvo has no fix for this. It may be software related and the solution may be months out. They are getting the regional rep involved Monday to see what the options are. They have had the car for 2 days and already are escalating it. I mentioned what I read here and he can't openly comment yet till the service manager comes in but said don't be surprised if it becomes a buyback.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      By Hard Acceleration, I mean travelling at 75-80 mph and then switching from Comfort to Dynamic mode, waiting a couple of seconds to find the correct lane & spot and then pedal to the floor till it reaches a 110-120 mph.

The error never pops up the first time I do this hard acceleration on the Interstate. Its always the 3rd or the 4th time when I floor it (3/4th to full throttle) in a matter of 3-5 mins, I get the error message.

I have never tried to floor the vehicle from a dead-stop. I let the Vehicle always get to its operating conditions and then floor it. Also, the Vehicle defaults to Comfort mode when I start and I can't remember to put it in Dynamic from the get go. It's always after miles of driving in Comfort mode that I put it in Dynamic and floor it.

On cooler days, I have floored the vehicle the same exact way on the same exact stretch of road and gotten past 135 mph multiple times and it has never given me an error.

Its only when its really warm. That's one constant I have noticed in the two times I've gotten the Reduced Engine Performance error. And even then, no actual reduction in Engine performance. It still drives and performs the same exact way even with an error being displayed on the screen.
      I love it! I've never gotten my Cross Country over 90 or 95 mph, and I thought I was the fastest Volvo driver out there! :-)
      I've never even gotten my Panameras over 100 mph, so I guess I'm pretty conservative... although, I live in the congested northeast...

Quote Originally Posted by Rockgt302 View Post
      Kingluke, the dealer called today and said Volvo has no fix for this. It may be software related and the solution may be months out. They are getting the regional rep involved Monday to see what the options are. They have had the car for 2 days and already are escalating it. I mentioned what I read here and he can't openly comment yet till the service manager comes in but said don't be surprised if it becomes a buyback.

@Rockgt302 - call Volvo Corp (1-800-550-5658) and open a case up, this speeds things up a little bit. Tell the rep you want to start the buy back process because your car has been on the lot for 2 weeks and the Dealership says there is no fix.

Ok. So here goes my yesterday night's experience. Returning home from a late night dinner (A 20 min drive. No Interstate driving involved. Just 35-45 mph speed limit roads), after being a mile into my drive, I put the car into the dynamic mode and went full throttle up-to 65-70 mph a couple of times. A couple of miles away from the house, I gave the Car its third W-O-T acceleration and the dreaded "Reduced Engine Performance" message pops up onto the screen. Immediately switched off the music and tried listening to any weird noises the Car would make. Couldn't hear anything abnormal but the Car definitely felt sluggish and was way off in responding to my throttle input as it normally would. The blinking error message went away in a matter of seconds.

Called up a nearby Volvo dealership today morning and set-up an appointment for this Friday noon.

Took the Car out today again for a drive on the same Interstate I travel to work on. I was doing a constant 75-80 when I gave it short acceleration bursts reaching 105-110 mph each time. Throughout this drive the Car was on comfort mode. These bursts were approx 5 mins apart from each other after steadily driving the Car on 75-80 for a good 15-18 mins. There was no error code and the Car accelerated flawlessly every single time.

Just called up the USA Volvo car helpline now to check if they had any additional information about the error message. The lady over the phone could not give me any information regarding this particular fault or what the exact problem/solution was, but she did mention she has had Volvo owners in her recent past (MY 2016/17/18) call about the exact same error message they were getting in their Vehicles. I guess, this definitely rules out the problem as being a single occurrence. Maybe not as wide-spread but Volvo definitely has heard about it many times before.

I'll update later this week of how my appointment goes.

EDIT: People who are getting the "Reduced Engine Performance" message in their vehicle, a) How many of you have a Polestar Tune on your Car? and b) Have you had this error come up when on a specific drive mode while accelerating (comfort/dynamic etc) or the modes haven't mattered? Please update if you can. Thanks!
      Last edited by Volvolic; 07-21-2018 at 10:46 PM.

I have polestar tuning in mine. Funny the loaner t5 xc90 feels quicker than my T6 polestar and its quieter.

I had the same experience... on a side note - Make sure you photograph the dash when this happens in case they try to deny if you need to file a claim

Quote Originally Posted by Rockgt302 View Post
      I have polestar tuning in mine. Funny the loaner t5 xc90 feels quicker than my T6 polestar and its quieter.
      Quote Originally Posted by LuminousSands View Post
      I had the same experience... on a side note - Make sure you photograph the dash when this happens in case they try to deny if you need to file a claim
      Thank you for the info. Will make sure I take a photo/video if it happens anytime this week before heading to the service center.

Fortunately, I've never experienced this with my '16. Is this only something happening on the newer models?
      2016 Volvo XC90 Momentum+ (Crystal White Metallic / Amber)
      2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

Quote Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
      Fortunately, I've never experienced this with my '16. Is this only something happening on the newer models?
      I would assume so. I've heard only the MY18s here getting the "Reduced Engine Performance" error (unless I'm missing someone/thing)!

This situation reminds me of my VW/Audi days when chip tuning was pretty common and in some cases the values were not set properly so you would get a limp mode condition due to overboost at WOT. Sometimes it was a turbo wastegate issue but in most cases it was a value in the chip tuning, wonder if the Polestar tune needs to be tweaked for MY18?
      2018 Volvo XC-90 R-Design package, Bursting Blue Metallic - grocery hauler and daily driver
      2016 Porsche GT4, Sapphire Blue Metallic - weekend and track toy

So I visited the Service Center Friday afternoon for a check-up regarding the "Reduced Engine Performance" message.

After an hour of checking up on the Vehicle, the service manager came up to me and told me they do not have a solution for the problem but Volvo knows about it and is working on a solution as we speak. He also confirmed that I wasn't the first one to have this issue. He has received several complaints from other Volvo owners regarding the same error. However, he gave me absolutely no timeline as to when the solution/update will be out. Maybe a week, maybe a month, maybe a year; no idea!

I did appreciate him being straight-forward to me. I'm satisfied hearing Volvo knows about this and is doing something already and I'm not struggling to get traction regarding the issue. Find the image attached for the actual scanned copy of the service/check -up done (this is my first time uploading photos. hope it shows).

EDIT: The Image does not show up. If somebody can show me how to upload Photos from my Laptop, I owe you a Beer! I've been through the FAQs and tried it at-least 20 times. Where do I find the "New Post" or "New Thread" page if I want to attach an image on this post? Either it shouldn't be this difficult or I should be smarter..

EDIT: I've uploaded the photo onto my Google Drive and sharing the url with you guys. Hoping at least this works!
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/MMccXanjVdqEb1W79
      Last edited by Volvolic; 07-30-2018 at 08:16 AM.

You could try to host the image at a place like imgur or else use the tapatalk app. Seems to work pretty well directly from your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      __________________________________________________ ____________

Hooligan of Volvo
      '19 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription; Pine Gray; Maroon Brown Leather; Pole*
      '16 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription; Ember Black; Charcoal Leather; Pole*

reduced engine performance message

i got the same error, no fault code shown when using a diagnostic tool from Volvo, the message appears but there is no actual loss of power, the car runs and starts exceptionally well.

weird

Quote Originally Posted by hecatomb View Post
      i got the same error, no fault code shown when using a diagnostic tool from Volvo, the message appears but there is no actual loss of power, the car runs and starts exceptionally well.

weird
      Yes. According to my Dealer service center, Volvo already knows about it and is working on a software patch. My Dealer has seen multiple cases in the new SPa Vehicles. Check the image link in Post #22. I checked with the service guy just last weekend and they still haven't heard back from Volvo on this issue. He has not given me a timeline as to when he expects the update patch.

That being said, they performed a (totally unrelated, according to them) software update on my Vehicle (Job #2, image link in Post #22) and my Vehicle feels a bit smoother overall. No jerkiness while in Dynamic mode. And I haven't got the "Reduced Engine performance" message since then even though I've accelerated the Vehicle to 130mph + multiple (back-to-back) times.

Quote Originally Posted by WunderWagen View Post
      This situation reminds me of my VW/Audi days when chip tuning was pretty common and in some cases the values were not set properly so you would get a limp mode condition due to overboost at WOT. Sometimes it was a turbo wastegate issue but in most cases it was a value in the chip tuning, wonder if the Polestar tune needs to be tweaked for MY18?
      This is what I was thinking. Overboost would certainly cause a limp mode. Could be anything, though, that regulates pressure, but maybe the wastegate is sticking closed a hair longer than normal because of the heat built up after those consecutive WOT runs?
      Daily Driver 2018 VOLVO XC90 T5 Momentum
      Lawn Ornament 1998 BMW M3/4/5

forgot to mention my Volvo is the 2004 V50, T5 FWD, it has 218,000 km on the clock, the message comes on daily as i have not reset the message until i get to my guru mechanic.

I thought I would add to this thread. I didn't see anything in the xc60 thread for this. I have a 2018 xc60 rdesig, less than 650 miles. Got the reduced performance message late Thursday 8/23, dropped it at the dealer on 8/24. Last update was a couple of minutes ago. The service desk said that "The manufacturer is looking into a solution". That's all that I could get out of the tech.

Quote Originally Posted by hignewton View Post
      I thought I would add to this thread. I didn't see anything in the xc60 thread for this. I have a 2018 xc60 rdesig, less than 650 miles. Got the reduced performance message late Thursday 8/23, dropped it at the dealer on 8/24. Last update was a couple of minutes ago. The service desk said that "The manufacturer is looking into a solution". That's all that I could get out of the tech.
      Yes. The exact same reply I got! Volvo does know about this and is looking into it. I don't think the Techs/Service Advisers have an idea as to when a solution will be out and implemented.

Just got a call from the service lead. The service manager is having a meeting with Volvo Corporate today. He has printed out everything about my xc60 and will be presenting it at the meeting. That tells me that my car is one of many with this problem at the dealership. I checked my oncall app. The car is parked in the back of the lot now, so no expectation of any work being done. The lead also mentioned that Volvo USA will be sending out a service engineer today or tomorrow to look at the car. This all matches up with what everyone else has been experiencing. I have to say that the dealer has been great, first gave me an older xc60, then once a 2018 was available switched me to that.

Got my V90CC in for the 10k miles service last weekend and mentioned the "Reduced Engine Performance" problem. Seems, Volvo is still working on a software patch for the same.

According to the Service Advisor, the software is at its last stages of development and Testing (in Sweden). Apparently, Volvo already has a software patch released for the 2016 SPA models (according to my SA) and are finalizing the 2017/2018 ones. I hope we get the update before the end of this year.

Please note: The above are just informal statements made by my SA to me. There is nothing on paper which would suggest so. I would rather take it with a pinch of salt until I actually see an update from Volvo.

Had this issue and brought it to the dealer. They updated the software and adjusted the fuel adaptation. So far it has not happened again, but from what I've read, I will not be surprised it happens again. This has swayed me to purchase a VIP Platinum extended warranty.

I have been having that problem since buying the car in February 2017. So the idea that "Volvo is aware of it an looking for a solution" does not lead me to hold my breath...

Volvolic- why are you driving 70mph in 35mph zones?

120mph on the highway? You sound like a d*ckhead driver and I’m glad you don’t live near me or my family.

I hope you blow your engine next time

Hmm, very strange, I have the same problem (Reduced engine performance) for the last 3 days , it come after about half an hour and keeps there unless restarted the car ... quite a nuisance ... Tomorrow going to the Volvo service ... I just arrived slowly home after 200 km journey ...
      2019 XC90 D5 Inscription, Maple Brown, Air Suspension, fully packed with all available packs

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast