Mice in the BCM
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Mice in the BCM

Mice in the BCM

I'm spending a few days on the car and pulled out the battery to prepare, thought y'all might get a kick out of this. Mice taking up residence around the BCM.

It has actually happened once before, I gotta find a way to discourage them finding this little cubbyhole. That connector carries a bunch of important stuff. Plus, it stinks.

Before (left) and after vacuuming/washing (right)

IMG_20180704_123947.jpg IMG_20180704_125444.jpg
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Junior Member LittleRedRidingHood's Avatar
      My car has a nest in the exact same location! I don't think it's been occupied for a long time, though.
      2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 - Passion Red
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 - Titanium Grey
      Hilton Tuning Stage 2 ~ Mototec 3" Downpipe & Sport Exhaust ~ Do88 Intercooler ~ Snabb Intake Pipe
      RIP - 2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Geartronic - Passion Red

Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      I'm spending a few days on the car and pulled out the battery to prepare, thought y'all might get a kick out of this. Mice taking up residence around the BCM.

It has actually happened once before, I gotta find a way to discourage them finding this little cubbyhole. That connector carries a bunch of important stuff. Plus, it stinks.

Before (left) and after vacuuming/washing (right)

IMG_20180704_123947.jpg IMG_20180704_125444.jpg
      Hot glue a mouse trap with peanut butter. They will keep coming back until they are all dead. They also like the insulation pad under the hood for nesting material. good luck

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Oh, they're gone now, it's more a question of keeping them out this winter, etc.

I'm thinking maybe some wadded-up heavy mesh hardware cloth. At least in the big gaps directly around the wiring harness, and below the BCM motor.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      Oh, they're gone now, it's more a question of keeping them out this winter, etc.

I'm thinking maybe some wadded-up heavy mesh hardware cloth. At least in the big gaps directly around the wiring harness, and below the BCM motor.
      I wouldn't suggest that. They'll just go into the body at that point like what happened on mine. I found sweet tarts hidden in the windshield drain line area where it plugs into the body from them making their way inside and hoarding my precious.
      I vacuumed it out the easy way, then at night, I put some peanut butter on a mousetrap. I put one in all 4 rim insides, one on the starter, and one on the battery (or on the trans mount if you've moved your battery), and one on the center "button" on the top of the plastic valve cover. I'll usually come away the next day with at least 2, and the following day at least 2 or 3 more and then a few more. Just be aware they may "jump" down into the steering rack area so if you don't see it look for it further down.

Has never failed to solve my problem thus far when I notice my enginebay firewall padding making it's way over there.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Ew. And yeah, I know how to get rid of mice - where there's one there's a dozen.

My car sits outside and you can see the maple seeds they brought in. Normally I'd eliminate the food source, but alas not here.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

Buy a cat.

Drive it to Florida ... They have Iguanas in the 850s. Dont worry the car is on and the AC is running ....
      /2006 S60 T5 /K24/R Calipers/17" pegs/OBX/Koni/Eibach/JVC/SNABB/IPDSway,
      /2004 V70 R/M66 /05+ Tails/ 05+ Console/Evolve Intake/IPD Sways/OZ/Kenwood/PHUZZ
      /2005 V70XC -Stock
      /2004 V70XC - Project Truk
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance. - me
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_Wagon View Post
      (Sh!t, did I just agree with Chilled Man?) .

No idea if it helps for mice, but here in the desert, pack rats do similar things. Especially if the car doesn't move often. One of the easiest and best solutions I've found is putting a light under the car at night. For some reason, they avoid lighted areas. Does it work on mice? May be worth a try.
      Otherwise, move the battery to the trunk so they don't feel safe. And then maybe those iguanas as insurance

Funny! When I pulled the battery to do the motor mount, I found an old mouse nest in the same location probably from when the previous owner had the car. Must be something that draws them there.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements