Extremely frustrates through Buyback/Trade assist process
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Extremely frustrated through Buyback/Trade assist process

Unfortunately, we have been having many issues with our XC90 like brakes squeal, rattles, sensus issues, and the biggest of all is power loss on the highway. With this said, we have opened many cases with Volvo customer care, including one where a regional tech came out to our dealership and replaced a lot of the big parts in the car including the rear floor pan of the car for a rattle. More recently, we opened up multiple cases where the first case got denied but then the second case was approved for a buyback on 05/15 saying that "you should hear from Stericycle in the next week or two" only to receive no information. Then, thinking it would be a quicker process to do a trade assist, I requested a trade. After confirming that a trade was possible, I picked out a T8 on 06/20 only today to recieve information that I will not be able to trade into a T8 even if I was willing to pay for it. Making it worse, the numbers they gave me on going into a safe, functional, car was very high. I am very lost as to what to do at this point and am becoming very frustrated. If any of you have any suggestions please help me out. Also, not to mention, the car has been sitting at the dealership for this entire time.
      Last edited by pdpspeed; 07-05-2018 at 09:20 PM.
      Cars:
      2016 Volvo XC90 T6 First Edition
      2015 BMW X5 XDrive50i

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I was in the same boat a few months ago. My almost brand-new 2018 XC90 had an A/C leak and Volvo offered me a trade assist. I wanted to move into a 2018 T6 Inscription and had been told that I would have to pay for the difference, to which I agreed to. I picked out a new Inscription only to be told 3 days later that I would not be able to move up to an Inscription, since the trade assist was a collateral swap (trade for similarly-equipped model).

Since I was trading for the same year and same model, I did not have to pay for anything. Volvo was nice enough to allow me to pick out one with an extra option that would have cost me $450.

I assume that yours is outside of the lemon law period?
      2018 XC90 T6 AWD Osmium Gray/Amber

Quote Originally Posted by frontgear View Post
      I was in the same boat a few months ago. My almost brand-new 2018 XC90 had an A/C leak and Volvo offered me a trade assist. I wanted to move into a 2018 T6 Inscription and had been told that I would have to pay for the difference, to which I agreed to. I picked out a new Inscription only to be told 3 days later that I would not be able to move up to an Inscription, since the trade assist was a collateral swap (trade for similarly-equipped model).

Since I was trading for the same year and same model, I did not have to pay for anything. Volvo was nice enough to allow me to pick out one with an extra option that would have cost me $450.

I assume that yours is outside of the lemon law period?
      Yeah, our car is barely outside the lemon law period. How long did the process end up taking?
      Cars:
      2015 BMW X5 XDrive50i

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Mine was a pretty painless buyback, I say 3 weeks for the process after I got approval. Might have went faster since I held title.

Quote Originally Posted by pdpspeed View Post
      Yeah, our car is barely outside the lemon law period. How long did the process end up taking?
      It took 31 days to be exact.
      2018 XC90 T6 AWD Osmium Gray/Amber

Ours took about 2-3 weeks for both of our XC90s. We were able to do trade in from MY16 to MY17 without too many issues. We came out pretty much even in terms of price/payments.
      2017 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Osmium Grey, Blond/Charcoal Int. / Conv. Pkg / Vision Pkg. /20" Rims
      2017 XC90 Momentum + w/ Polestar & PAII / Black Onyx Metallic, Blond/Charcoal Int. / Conv. Pkg. / Vision Pkg. / 20" Rims

It's awesome that so many people's process has been so simple, but for us it is getting close to 3 months and I just received a number which would force us to take a big financial hit to have a car which is safe to drive and running out of options other than to hire a professional which we hope to use as last resort. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would help in this situation?
      Cars:
      2015 BMW X5 XDrive50i

Hi All - I've been having some recurrent issues with my 2018 XC60 (taken it to the dealer multiple times) and wanted to find out if a trade assist is possible. How did you all go about requesting one?

Quote Originally Posted by tooth32 View Post
      Hi All - I've been having some recurrent issues with my 2018 XC60 (taken it to the dealer multiple times) and wanted to find out if a trade assist is possible. How did you all go about requesting one?

Have you opened a case with Volvo corporate and asked?

Quote Originally Posted by pdpspeed View Post
      Unfortunately, we have been having many issues with our XC90 like brakes squeal, rattles, sensus issues, and the biggest of all is power loss on the highway. With this said, we have opened many cases with Volvo customer care, including one where a regional tech came out to our dealership and replaced a lot of the big parts in the car including the rear floor pan of the car for a rattle. More recently, we opened up multiple cases where the first case got denied but then the second case was approved for a buyback on 05/15 saying that "you should hear from Stericycle in the next week or two" only to receive no information. Then, thinking it would be a quicker process to do a trade assist, I requested a trade. After confirming that a trade was possible, I picked out a T8 on 06/20 only today to recieve information that I will not be able to trade into a T8 even if I was willing to pay for it. Making it worse, the numbers they gave me on going into a safe, functional, car was very high. I am very lost as to what to do at this point and am becoming very frustrated. If any of you have any suggestions please help me out. Also, not to mention, the car has been sitting at the dealership for this entire time.
      If you're talking about a 2016 XC90, you're probably outside Lemon Law. So pretty much you are at the mercy of Volvo to negotiation a fair compromise and a livable solution.

ONE NOTE: If the problem was REPORTED inside of the Lemon Law Window and continued without being repaired, then I believe you're still covered in most states. I'd contact a Lemon Law attorney for a free consultation. If they take the case, then Volvo is on the hook for expenses.

Really depends on how you want to handle things. If you're wanting the $$ back to then buy what you want, then Lemon Law might be the best avenue, if still applicable. Otherwise, work things out with Volvo if you're outside Lemon Law window.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 12-15-2019 at 09:10 AM.

We are in a similar boat. Bought 16 CPO XC90 last year. Within a month of owning it, water poured in through the overhead console. Dealer supposedly fixed it. Over the past year, the car has been at the dealership at least 7 or 8 times for various mechanical issues - error messages for Airbags, BLIS, lane departure malfunctioning causing car to shake when driving because it was trying to self correct. Car was just returned to us last week and we drove to visit family. Didn’t even arrive at our destination when a whole new set of mechanical problems started: A/C stopped working, car turned off while driving, Airbag urgent issue message, braking error, BLIS, cR not turning off when in park. Brought it to local Volvo dealership and they Said the car should be totaled it’s so bad/ said the car is filled with water corroding all of the sensors and wiring. Have been calling Volvo USA for months opening cases and not really any solution. Now I am at my breaking point because we are hundreds of miles from home trapped with an drivable car and we have no idea what to do - leave the car and rent a car? Not sure how to get out of this mess. This is my third Volvo and have always been happy- until now. The dealership said we should call our insurance company because it should be totaled- I ha e no idea if that is an option but I have never heard of an insurance company doing that for a car that has not been in an accident or flood, etc. so now we are just sitting here in limbo waiting for someone at Volvo USA to give me an option as to what To do next.

Quote Originally Posted by Njshopper View Post
      We are in a similar boat. Bought 16 CPO XC90 last year. Within a month of owning it, water poured in through the overhead console. Dealer supposedly fixed it. Over the past year, the car has been at the dealership at least 7 or 8 times for various mechanical issues - error messages for Airbags, BLIS, lane departure malfunctioning causing car to shake when driving because it was trying to self correct. Car was just returned to us last week and we drove to visit family. Didn’t even arrive at our destination when a whole new set of mechanical problems started: A/C stopped working, car turned off while driving, Airbag urgent issue message, braking error, BLIS, cR not turning off when in park. Brought it to local Volvo dealership and they Said the car should be totaled it’s so bad/ said the car is filled with water corroding all of the sensors and wiring. Have been calling Volvo USA for months opening cases and not really any solution. Now I am at my breaking point because we are hundreds of miles from home trapped with an drivable car and we have no idea what to do - leave the car and rent a car? Not sure how to get out of this mess. This is my third Volvo and have always been happy- until now. The dealership said we should call our insurance company because it should be totaled- I ha e no idea if that is an option but I have never heard of an insurance company doing that for a car that has not been in an accident or flood, etc. so now we are just sitting here in limbo waiting for someone at Volvo USA to give me an option as to what To do next.
      You have a few choices here:

1. Total Out the Car - Might be the easiest and quickest solution. Go on CarGuru and Look online. Pull off as many comparable vehicles as possible to show your 16 XC90 CPO is worth X amount. Otherwise, insurance companies will try to low ball an offer.

2. If you want to stick with Volvo and hope they'll assist, Here's what you need to do. You bought a used car, even if the vehicle is a CPO. So the Lemon Law won't help, but it sounds like you dealer might be an asset. You need to reach out to the General Manager of the servicing dealer and have him reach out to Volvo on your behalf. As if the General Manager would be willing to put in a trade assist request on your behalf to Volvo. Have the General Manager include documentation of all the repairs, and his note about the vehicle having so many problems, it needs totaled. If he indeed is willing to state that fact.

3. You can reach out to Volvo Executive Office on your own, but having the dealership GM on your side is a big asset. If you choose to do #3, I'll get you the email contacts and help you craft something up.

I am also going through a buyback process with Volvo USA. I bought a new 2020 XC60 T8 Momentum in February and within the first week of possession the Check Engine Light was displayed. After 8 dealer visits, 3 failed software updates and 3 cases opened with Volvo customer care - they have agreed to replace my car. I just got news on Thursday. They don't have any Momentums on the lot and we may have to wait until one comes into port. I am a little on edge about this because I don't want to get the short end of the stick here and I also have something else at stake: my Arizona energy efficient plate which has been grandfathered in. I bought this Volvo in February for the sole reason of being grandfathered into this now closed program and to get out of my 150k miles 2010 Toyota Prius. So getting into a new car (even the same model) I may end up losing the plate (which allows me to drive solo in the HOV lane). I've had a couple of conversations with the Arizona Department of Transportation and they've communicated (in writing) that they "should" be able to transfer the plate. "Should" isn't really a guarantee and doesn't make me feel confident. ADOT went through a big system software update in April... so systematically it may not be possible to transfer the plate since, again, the energy efficient plate program for hybrids is no longer available.

So.... having said all that. I am thinking of just asking Volvo to buy back the car and I can use the money to get into an EV... so I can get the Arizona cloud plate for electric vehicles - for the HOV lane.

Can anyone advise on how I should make this request to Volvo - requesting a buy back instead of replacement?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by lareina77 View Post
      I am also going through a buyback process with Volvo USA. I bought a new 2020 XC60 T8 Momentum in February and within the first week of possession the Check Engine Light was displayed. After 8 dealer visits, 3 failed software updates and 3 cases opened with Volvo customer care - they have agreed to replace my car. I just got news on Thursday. They don't have any Momentums on the lot and we may have to wait until one comes into port. I am a little on edge about this because I don't want to get the short end of the stick here and I also have something else at stake: my Arizona energy efficient plate which has been grandfathered in. I bought this Volvo in February for the sole reason of being grandfathered into this now closed program and to get out of my 150k miles 2010 Toyota Prius. So getting into a new car (even the same model) I may end up losing the plate (which allows me to drive solo in the HOV lane). I've had a couple of conversations with the Arizona Department of Transportation and they've communicated (in writing) that they "should" be able to transfer the plate. "Should" isn't really a guarantee and doesn't make me feel confident. ADOT went through a big system software update in April... so systematically it may not be possible to transfer the plate since, again, the energy efficient plate program for hybrids is no longer available.

So.... having said all that. I am thinking of just asking Volvo to buy back the car and I can use the money to get into an EV... so I can get the Arizona cloud plate for electric vehicles - for the HOV lane.

Can anyone advise on how I should make this request to Volvo - requesting a buy back instead of replacement?

Cheers!
      The short answer: you just have to ask, and they almost never approve a buy back versus a trade assist.
      2020 XC60 T5 AWD R-Design Osmium Grey | Charcoal

Cheers!
      Here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-not-expecting
      2020 XC90 T6 Inscription - Luxury, Advanced, & Protection Packages; Park Assist Pilot; 21" 8-Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels
      2008 XC90 3.2L FWD - Loaded, bulletproof, thank you for 12 years of flawless service! (Sold )
      2008 XC90 3.2L FWD - Lemon. Dealer buyback at 700 miles.

Cheers!
      Your choice. If you want money back, contact a lemon law lawyer in your area. They'll hit Volvo with their attorney fee, and since Volvo has already stated the car is a problem, the process shouldn't be all that complicated. Just bring all documentation with you to the lawyers office.

Up to you. I will say Volvo tends to be pretty generous with their trade assist if you give some push back. They'll usually do a pretty good job of upgrading you at no cost. You just need to ask and be firm about wanting something for your troubles. That might get you into a vehicle now that sits on the lot versus waiting around for one.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Your choice. If you want money back, contact a lemon law lawyer in your area. They'll hit Volvo with their attorney fee, and since Volvo has already stated the car is a problem, the process shouldn't be all that complicated. Just bring all documentation with you to the lawyers office.

Up to you. I will say Volvo tends to be pretty generous with their trade assist if you give some push back. They'll usually do a pretty good job of upgrading you at no cost. You just need to ask and be firm about wanting something for your troubles. That might get you into a vehicle now that sits on the lot versus waiting around for one.
      +1 with the trade assist. I Lemon Law'd my first XC90 (2008) after just 700 miles for bad engine. At that time, I was so mad that I just want my money back and buy me a Lexus instead. When they showed me the replacement XC90 with more additional features than what I got, I went ahead and took it. I'm glad I did. 12 years of bulletproof existence from the replacement XC90. Didn't do anything to it except oil changes. I sold it last April to buy my new XC90 (see my signature). I was gonna keep it, but I just don't have space for it in my garage and driveway , but it went to a good family and I'm pretty sure it will last them another 12 years, if not more.
      2020 XC90 T6 Inscription - Luxury, Advanced, & Protection Packages; Park Assist Pilot; 21" 8-Multi Spoke Alloy Wheels
      2008 XC90 3.2L FWD - Loaded, bulletproof, thank you for 12 years of flawless service! (Sold )
      2008 XC90 3.2L FWD - Lemon. Dealer buyback at 700 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by ButchIVIX View Post
      +1 with the trade assist. I Lemon Law'd my first XC90 (2008) after just 700 miles for bad engine. At that time, I was so mad that I just want my money back and buy me a Lexus instead. When they showed me the replacement XC90 with more additional features than what I got, I went ahead and took it. I'm glad I did. 12 years of bulletproof existence from the replacement XC90. Didn't do anything to it except oil changes. I sold it last April to buy my new XC90 (see my signature). I was gonna keep it, but I just don't have space for it in my garage and driveway , but it went to a good family and I'm pretty sure it will last them another 12 years, if not more.
      Yep. So it's all a matter of what will make OP happy. I mean if he's inclined to give Volvo another chance, find a new decked out XC90 sitting on a dealer's lot, and let Volvo know that's the car you want. It's an opportunity to get a nice upgrade at no cost if one stands firm and makes their expectations clear! Plus it's far cheaper for Volvo to swap out a vehicle than to refund money + attorney fees + Taxes + title + licensing. So Volvo has incentive to make one happy.

If Op wants a refund, so be it. He'll get 100% of purchase price back less a mileage deduction and any damage to the car (scratches, dents, etc). Volvo pays attorney's fees.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Yep. So it's all a matter of what will make OP happy. I mean if he's inclined to give Volvo another chance, find a new decked out XC90 sitting on a dealer's lot, and let Volvo know that's the car you want. It's an opportunity to get a nice upgrade at no cost if one stands firm and makes their expectations clear! Plus it's far cheaper for Volvo to swap out a vehicle than to refund money + attorney fees + Taxes + title + licensing. So Volvo has incentive to make one happy.

If Op wants a refund, so be it. He'll get 100% of purchase price back less a mileage deduction and any damage to the car (scratches, dents, etc). Volvo pays attorney's fees.
      Thanks for the feedback everyone. Currently I'm waiting on the sales manager who is "negotiating with Volvo" on getting me into the XC60 Inscription that's sitting on their lot. I'm a little concerned about this guy - So far my experience is I'm not his priority and that adds more frustration to an already frustrating problem. So my patience is starting to run very thin.
      BTW I'm driving an XC60 Momentum - so it will be interesting what they will come back with. I don't want to get the short end of the stick.. AND run the risk that I won't get my hybrid plate transferred to the Volvo.

The only reason I bought the Volvo was to transfer my hybrid plate so I could be grandfathered in - now I'm running the risk of losing it and this will all have been for nothing.

Regarding financing... I'm assuming that my current auto loan will close and we'll have to finance the replacement car? They're advertising 0% 72 months right now.. so I may push for that.

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements