Headliner wire adhesive
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Headliner wire adhesive

Got my headliner and sunshade out using the excellent write-up. Going to send it to an auto upholstery shop.

What do you use to attach the wires? Hot glue? I got some Liquid Nails type construction adhesive I thought would work.

Or tape them to the roof with Gorilla Tape?

What did you do and how did it work? I want to get this right... Any rattles will drive me crazy!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Amazing Goop. Great adhesion, stays soft, removable, water proof. I use it for all kinds of things. Home Depot, Michael's, etc. Doesn't matter what version (plumbing, household, etc.). They are all the same thing with different marketing.

Last edited by pczeilon; 07-09-2018 at 07:38 AM.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

I tried Gorilla tape but it didn't stick too well.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I don't know where u live, but no matter where, my advice is not to use hot glue. It melts at extremely low temps. Since the roof gets the most heat, it may come back to bite you. After all the work, having glue oozing out and ruining your new headliner would be terrible. It's not hot glue, but I used something equally suseptible to a little heat called "easy plastic" or something like that on my jaguar. I needed to replace plastic protectors that kept the convertible top wires from contacting metal. Everything went well, but I didn't even drive the car before the ambient temperature melted my new parts.

I'm in St. Louis, and it gets extremely hot in my car - no tint, black interior...

Definitely find something that is high heat. I've never seen the headliner, so what do the wires do? Could something as simple as silicone from a caulk gun hold? Or is there tension and weight involved in the cable's job? What looks to hold the cables originally? Maybe an industrial supply might have something appropriate

There are wires that run above the headliner to the 3rd brake light, map lights, sunroof, vanity mirrors. Originally, these wires are glued to the headliner with a flexible clearish-brown glue. The purpose of the glue is just to hold the wires in place so they aren't rattling around.

And don't forget in the V50, the rear window sprayer hose!

I'm surprised nobody has suggested 3M spray adhesives, such as Super 90.
      Last edited by tmtalpey; 07-13-2018 at 09:39 AM.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements