V50 Totaled
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: V50 Totaled

V50 Totaled

Well, some of you may have seen my V50's bout with an oak branch. I thought the repair was going to be done this week, but instead got a call from Allstate that the V50 is totaled. I've decided to buy it back from them, and have it repaired. I figure it's paid off, it's still in great shape, save for the damage, and the engine is smooth as butter.

They're probably going to give me roughly $4500 after all is said and done. I have the means, but I just don't want a car payment right now. Plus I don't want to park a new car on the street (as the SVT Contour gets the 1 car garage spot ).

I guess I'm sharing all of this in hopes that at least some of you will tell me I'm not crazy for keeping the car. Here are some rough photos from after it happened.

'06 T5 AWD V50 6MT - stock

'99 Ford Contour SVT - not stock

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Junior Member LittleRedRidingHood's Avatar
      That doesn't look all that bad to me. Sorry for your misfortune - hope to see it in its former glory soon.
      2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 - Passion Red
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 - Titanium Grey
      Hilton Tuning Stage 2 ~ Mototec 3" Downpipe & Sport Exhaust ~ Do88 Intercooler ~ Snabb Intake Pipe
      RIP - 2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Geartronic - Passion Red

Hell no you'd be crazy not to keep it!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It's a unicorn. You kind of have to keep it.

I totaled my V50 and put it back together on the cheaps. Fortunately for me, they could write it up just a hair under "total loss" so I got the payout without having the branded title and having to fix everything perfectly to suit an "advanced inspection" for reconstruction. I just slapped the nose back together and was done for like $800. Pocketed about 6 grand. If you can possibly get them to do that for you, it's way less hassle.
      Passion Red 2006 V50 T5 AWD M66 - Climate, Premium, and Dynamic packages
      Laser Red 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, D2 A8 Brakes Front & Rear

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
      It's a unicorn. You kind of have to keep it.

I totaled my V50 and put it back together on the cheaps. Fortunately for me, they could write it up just a hair under "total loss" so I got the payout without having the branded title and having to fix everything perfectly to suit an "advanced inspection" for reconstruction. I just slapped the nose back together and was done for like $800. Pocketed about 6 grand. If you can possibly get them to do that for you, it's way less hassle.
      Wee, not sure how to make that happen. They've already deemed it as "totaled" based on the shop's estimate, so even if I take it to another shop and the repair costs are less I'm stuck with a salvage title. I'm a little butt-hurt about that to be honest.

Anything to do with a unibody frame I.E. the roof line or heavy rocker damage is a write off generally. It's too expensive for them to cut out and weld metal and make sure panel gaps are acceptable. It's do able but don't expect showroom quality.
      2007 V50 T5 AWD M66 ~ Custom machined weighted shiftknob powdercoated wrinkle polstarblue, Custom pod filter intake, Muffler delete, 18" Pegasus IPD Reps, EBC redstuff pads, EBC blank rotors.

A good pdr guy should be able to pop that out for a few hundred, plus a side window and windshield and you're good to go.

Or leave the dents and cover it in camo for a 3-D effect.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

^If they have already branded the title, then i don't think "leaving the dents" is an option. At least in my state, to qualify for getting a "reconstructed" title for a salvage car, it basically has to be perfect. All damage must be fixed, even if it's just cosmetic.

The only way the title is branded already is if he already took the money. So the insurance company gets a repair estimate, maybe does an adjustment**, then does the math to see if that number is a "total loss" or not. Once they have that number, they offer you the payout.

At that point, you are allowed to disagree. You can do a couple things to help your situation.
      - You can work with the insurance adjuster to use some less expensive aftermarket parts in the estimate, even used/junkyard parts to lower the repair cost. This usually requires your written consent (but may be part of your policy)
      - You can negotiate a higher valuation of your car based on actual for-sale examples in your general area. In the case of a 6MT Turbo AWD Wagon, they are rare and command a premium, which may not be reflected well in their valuation.

In my case, the valuation I got was pretty good - about $7500 for an '06 V50 T5 M66 AWD with around 140k on it. The repair estimate was a few hundred dollars over "totaled" status. So I worked with the adjuster on the estimate to swap in some less expensive parts. Cheaper radiator, condenser. Some junkyard body parts from LKQ, things like that. Got the estimate to ring in just under the target amount, I cashed the check and did whatever I wanted with the car.

But until you agree on the payout amount, cash the check, and sign the papers - you can still negotiate with them and the title is not branded salvage until the payout is finalized.

This, of course, all goes out the window if you don't actually own the car. If you're making payments and there is a bank name on the title, it's all by-the-book. The purpose of the payout will be to satisfy the loan and you don't really have a say in how things play out beyond maybe arguing the valuation of the car.
      Last edited by walky_talky20; 08-01-2018 at 08:56 AM.
      Laser Red 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, D2 A8 Brakes Front & Rear

I thought about it overnight and realized that there is a good chance this isn't as cut and dry as Allstate made it seem. I asked the adjuster point blank, what if I get an estimate from another shop and it comes in less than the value of the car? She answered that it was already deemed as totaled in their system so it wouldn't change anything. That is BS. My hand is being forced into either buying a new car, or driving a car with only liability insurance, and that has a salvaged title and is worthless on resale.

So I called the Indiana Department of Insurance, and they agreed that there is no reason Allstate wouldn't be able to overturn the "totaled" designation should the other estimate come back as less. So I called Allstate back, told them what IDOI said, and had them send me a copy of the estimate.

Meanwhile this other shop, which is very reputable, has the estimate at just over $3100. The original shop estimated $5800. This is getting interesting. I think I'll be able to get this overturned, and heck I'm saving Allstate money too.

+1. Truth is they are required to do their job and nothing more. Expecting them to be good at their job beyond what is easiest for them is clearly lacking in a great many jobs nowadays. I hope you can keep it.

This is also partially why i never interact with insurance until im ready to ditch the auto. Lazy people do lazy jobs, and it is 1000x easier to get the highest estimate and say it is totaled and cut a check "case closed."
      Last edited by avenger09123; 08-01-2018 at 03:40 PM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

If they won't go your way just threaten to take your business elsewhere, they tend to listen. Good luck. You can still get full coverage on a rebuilt title car it's not a black and white no you can't situation.
      2007 V50 T5 AWD M66 ~ Custom machined weighted shiftknob powdercoated wrinkle polstarblue, Custom pod filter intake, Muffler delete, 18" Pegasus IPD Reps, EBC redstuff pads, EBC blank rotors.

I should think they would be very interested in doing a $3k payout on this claim instead of a $6k payout. Especially considering you are preferring that outcome!

Keep fighting with them. They'll do it.

EDIT: They may be wary of taking the lower estimate, and then the shop coming back for more money later when they determine it is costing "more than it looked at first". What you can do in that case is just tell them to write the check to you and close the claim. You get the cash and then takeover whatever happens after that. If you end up needing more money, they won't be on the hook for it. So make sure you're happy with the amount. I have had several accidents (all no-fault) and I have never had them pay the shop. I always demand they cut me the check and leave it to me. Then I either fix it for pennies and pocket the rest, or don't even bother fixing it and pocket all the cash.
      Last edited by walky_talky20; 08-01-2018 at 04:30 PM.

I'd tell them you want it valued higher and then take the money. Buy it back, replace the broken glass and the side mirror and you should be fine. Maybe some paintless dent repair would help on some of those dents. It doesn't look like the paint was damaged.
      I don't know about where you live, but here in AZ, the car doesn't have to be back to 100% to be put back on the road. They give it an extreme inspection by officers of the department of transportation, but as long as it's mechanically sound, it passes the inspection and you get a restored salvage title. I got my s40 at the auction for $750. Someone had backed it into something and that was enough for insurance to total it. I pulled out the dent under the tail light and bumper. Then I replaced them. There's a slight roll in the 1/4 panel where it meets the taillight and the taillight is not completely flush to the trunk, but it doesn't leak and unless you look closely you wouldn't notice. I have full coverage insurance on it.
      My father was recently rear-ended in his Tahoe. It bent the bumper down about 45* but otherwise did zero damage. Because the insurance would only use new parts to repair it and gm sells replacement frame rails for $1k a piece, they totalled the truck. To get the pay out, we had to go to the DMV and switch the title to salvage. We did this Monday. On Tuesday we went down and got the level 3 inspection, 45* bumper and all, and the car is now a restored salvage and is legal to drive. I'm sure every state is different, but I can't see why dents in the body of a car would disqualify it from being road worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrrC01 View Post
      Well, some of you may have seen my V50's bout with an oak branch. I thought the repair was going to be done this week, but instead got a call from Allstate that the V50 is totaled. I've decided to buy it back from them, and have it repaired. I figure it's paid off, it's still in great shape, save for the damage, and the engine is smooth as butter.

They're probably going to give me roughly $4500 after all is said and done. I have the means, but I just don't want a car payment right now. Plus I don't want to park a new car on the street (as the SVT Contour gets the 1 car garage spot ).

I guess I'm sharing all of this in hopes that at least some of you will tell me I'm not crazy for keeping the car. Here are some rough photos from after it happened.
      Unless I'm missing something, it broke the windshield and the rear view mirror. How the hell is that a total loss? Is the branch covering up more damage we can't see?

You arent crazy. Appears these are easy fixes that don't impact the car's overall performance. Long as it runs great, the buy back seems wise. Repair the car at a local indie and move about your life as normal

I thought about it overnight and realized that there is a good chance this isn't as cut and dry as Allstate made it seem. I asked the adjuster point blank, what if I get an estimate from another shop and it comes in less than the value of the car? She answered that it was already deemed as totaled in their system so it wouldn't change anything. That is BS. My hand is being forced into either buying a new car, or driving a car with only liability insurance, and that has a salvaged title and is worthless on resale.

So I called the Indiana Department of Insurance, and they agreed that there is no reason Allstate wouldn't be able to overturn the "totaled" designation should the other estimate come back as less. So I called Allstate back, told them what IDOI said, and had them send me a copy of the estimate.

Meanwhile this other shop, which is very reputable, has the estimate at just over $3100. The original shop estimated $5800. This is getting interesting. I think I'll be able to get this overturned, and heck I'm saving Allstate money too.
      Insurance companies often total a car if they deem the repair value to be about 70% of the car's value. One way to "adjust their estimate' is to haggle over every service visit, modification, etc.

Car has brand new tires. I just spent X right before the car was totaled. So on so forth. Ultimately, you can refuse the check and send in a second estimate. Stating that the car can be fixed properly for less. Part of the negotiations...and there's always an appeal process.

Don't see why All State wouldn't want to pay less, except if they think this car can be turned around at an auction and they can make money off the process.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Unless I'm missing something, it broke the windshield and the rear view mirror. How the hell is that a total loss? Is the branch covering up more damage we can't see?

You arent crazy. Appears these are easy fixes that don't impact the car's overall performance. Long as it runs great, the buy back seems wise. Repair the car at a local indie and move about your life as normal
      If you look closely you'll see there is a dent in the front fender, and scuff on the hood next to the dent. The windshield is broken, the back window is broken, and the part of the rear quarter panel that wraps up above that window has a big crease in it. The side view mirror is broken, the roof rail is broken, and there are some scuffs that could be buffed out.

I got them to send me a copy of the estimate, and this first ship had repairs and repaints for things that had nothing to do with the damage. They were going to fill and repaint every little dent rather than PDR (which I would prefer), and anywhere there was a scuff they were going to repaint rather than trying to buff it out. So that first shop was way off base.
      Last edited by MurrrC01; 08-02-2018 at 09:40 AM.

The roof section is a complex assembly with lots of different types of steel and repair processes, I can believe it was written of and I can believe it could be fixed, I would take the money, buy back the wreck and get it fixed as long as the re-certification process isn't too expensive or onerous where you are

I would settle for it being totaled if that was my only choice, but as it stands I'm going to fight for it to not be totaled. With the new repair estimate there is really no need for it.

Ouch that's Sucks , Roofs are super PITA - Certainly Good Sheet Metal Man - could Pound Carefully Out with Proper Tools - Have them - Show You the Body Tools - Who Uses them ( Not just some Tools Laying around ) Pictures
      Of Hand Body Work Before and Afters . . Insurance CO - Sorry to Say You will have to Tell them Your in Talks with (( State Insurance Arbitration Broad )) Thinking of this all Going to Court !

Higher Valve for Sure - get some Appraisals Based on Photo' s - Value sitting on Volvo Car Lot - $6500.00 or More It will take Time from You of Course ! - - - - Being M66 Adds another $1500.00 due to Rarity !

How Many Miles ?
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Currently about 125k on the odometer. I checked blue book and it was about even with the insurance company's evaluation.

Insurance adjuster is supposed to be scheduling a walk through with the new body shop to go over the new estimate. Hoping things will be good and the car won't be totaled.
      Last edited by MurrrC01; 08-04-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Blue book value doesn't necessarily mean you can get another car like yours, in your area, for that amount. The M66 T5 AWD wagons are rare, and the real-world value could be significantly higher than blue book based on comparables.

Good luck with the walk-through.

I got my 07 V50 T5 M66 with 100k km (60k miles) on the clock paid 15k Canadian (11500 USD) from a Volvo dealer last year. There is definitely a premium on them.

I paid 10,500 private party on 2010 V50 T5 AWD M66 just this Feb. Would do so again in a heartbeat. There is demand for this unicorn configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyRgr View Post
      I paid 10,500 private party on 2010 V50 T5 AWD M66 just this Feb. Would do so again in a heartbeat. There is demand for this unicorn configuration.
      Ditto That - My V50 M66 was Well Over 9K

http://www.fossilcars.com/volvo/v50/870179

Feel Free - to Use My Add , it's Still be Kicking around , and Print of These Comments . . .

PS: Best Part Hagerty - Insurance Value as 14K without even Blinking - They - Hagerty Insurance - Placed the Value I didn't !
      Last edited by EngTech; 08-06-2018 at 07:09 AM.
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

If there was any previous damage on the car, the estimators are required to include it's repair in the estimate. Even if it's not from the accident. I had a friend who's tacoma was totalled after she hit a car with the front passenger side. All it needed was a bumper cover and fender, but because there was rear bumper damage and lots of little dents, none of which were in the vicinity of the accident, the estimate to fix it was too high and it was totaled. I'd bet hail damage would be enough to total a lightly damaged car

Quote Originally Posted by Boboli View Post
      If there was any previous damage on the car, the estimators are required to include it's repair in the estimate. Even if it's not from the accident. I had a friend who's tacoma was totalled after she hit a car with the front passenger side. All it needed was a bumper cover and fender, but because there was rear bumper damage and lots of little dents, none of which were in the vicinity of the accident, the estimate to fix it was too high and it was totaled. I'd bet hail damage would be enough to total a lightly damaged car
      What? When I got rear ended they didn't even look at any other damage, didn't look at the door dings, paint scuffs or previous front end damage. Took some photos of my trunk and bumper that's it.

Yes, they can apply the "condition" of the car (and it's various parts) when evaluating its value. My insurance adjuster was marking various items like paint, leather seats, floor mats under various categories. They could be marked "Dealer-quality/Like-new", "Normal Wear/Used", and I think one category below that like "Heavy Wear/damaged" or something. It was pretty broad. He was just marking everything "normal" and I was like "Hey, Hey! I just bought those floor mats last week!". He marked them like-new for me. Nice guy.

But that still means you can argue that a comparable replacement for your car is more than they are saying it is. Their algorithm really doesn't factor in the "unicorn" aspect very well. Their database just doesn't have enough Unicorn Data to move the needle.

Ha ! Normal - There it is Right There - NORMAL - Normal for What , Soccer Mom with 5 Kids & , 2 Dogs ans She Smokes ?

Go List Off all the Options & Safety Features - How many Other Cars that Yr. have those Features - Yep - Above Normal - You All !

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
      Yes, they can apply the "condition" of the car (and it's various parts) when evaluating its value. My insurance adjuster was marking various items like paint, leather seats, floor mats under various categories. They could be marked "Dealer-quality/Like-new", "Normal Wear/Used", and I think one category below that like "Heavy Wear/damaged" or something. It was pretty broad. He was just marking everything "normal" and I was like "Hey, Hey! I just bought those floor mats last week!". He marked them like-new for me. Nice guy.

But that still means you can argue that a comparable replacement for your car is more than they are saying it is. Their algorithm really doesn't factor in the "unicorn" aspect very well. Their database just doesn't have enough Unicorn Data to move the needle.
      Wonder if this is state specific. I've never had an insurance agent note damage outside of the general vicinity. Not unless I point something out that could plausibly be related to said accident and/or damage.

It's only when they are valuing the car for purposes of determining "total loss" and then cutting you a check for the amount was actually worth. If your example was beaten with an ugly stick, it won't be valued the same as if it was a pristine example. This doesn't take hardly any time to do, as the categories are pretty broad. Basically, was the interior and exterior mint, average, or trash. Probably roughly equating to KBB Good, Fair, Poor. Like that. Most adjusters probably just a do a cursory look and "select all > average condition" or it may even default to that unless they see fit to change it. I'd assume this aspect differs between insurance companies and perhaps even within their various policies. Again, this is where somebody can argue with their valuation if theirs was a particularly minty example, and they feel that is not reflected. Especially if they can prove things like a fresh respray, new seat fabric, carpets or stuff like that.
      Last edited by walky_talky20; 08-08-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Update: The new estimate came in at $3618.03. The value of the car is $5046, but they consider the value minus the salvage value, $802, so the value becomes $4244. Ok, the estimate is still less, so we're good right?

NOPE! They still want to total it. They have to maintain a cushion of $625 between the estimate and the value. For those of you doing the math, $4244 - $625 is $3619.00.

$.97 .... they want to total my car over $.97. I about lost my cool. I told the person at the Allstate total loss office they need to work with me or expect a formal dispute and complaint filed with the Indiana deptartment of insurance. There was a lot of silence on the other end of the phone. Then they said they would send an adjuster out to look it over and do another new estimate.

This is my life.

Update: The new estimate came in at $3618.03. The value of the car is $5046, but they consider the value minus the salvage value, $802, so the value becomes $4244. Ok, the estimate is still less, so we're good right?

NOPE! They still want to total it. They have to maintain a cushion of $625 between the estimate and the value. For those of you doing the math, $4244 - $625 is $3619.00.

$.97 .... they want to total my car over $.97. I about lost my cool. I told the person at the Allstate total loss office they need to work with me or expect a formal dispute and complaint filed with the Indiana deptartment of insurance. There was a lot of silence on the other end of the phone. Then they said they would send an adjuster out to look it over and do another new estimate.

This is my life.
      Or just tell them to pay you the amount less 97 cents... much easier? Not worth the headache over a dollar. Tell them to "keep the change"...And yes, insurance companies will total out a car once it hits 60-70% of actual value.

This is my life.
      Well, nothing easy is quick, and nothing quick is easy. Tenacity and resilience is something that a great many people lack in the face of stress added to their lives. Fighting people who want to do their job the laziest way possible is great for building system and procedure efficiency, but a poor way to build a customerbase. I would suggest after this project is completed, using an online insurance comparison tool to see if they have the best rates for you and jumping ship if they don't.

If you love your car enough, you know what it means to you and that

2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

they want to total my car over $.97.

I about lost my cool.
      This is the response they should expect when they want to take a car guy's 6MT Turbo Wagon.

Now I feel much more fortunate that I got my adjuster to cut the estimate down by hundreds of dollars to leave me a car and a clean title. Funny thing: I have AllState too!

Quick Tip: Go find a red mirror for $50 and bolt it on before the next estimate is done. Easy pass. Or maybe any early P1 mirror and just transfer your red cover. Either way it's some easy money off the estimate. If they ask any questions, say that you "just snapped it back together, no big deal" and that "it seems totally fine now". Something like that.
      Last edited by walky_talky20; 08-11-2018 at 10:47 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast