TPMS Calibration
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TPMS Calibration

I had to calibrate my TPMS a few times over the past two weeks, after receiving warning for low pressure (finally it was a nail). Each time I run the calibration as described in the manual, but never got the dots turn green even after driving for more than half an hour during the same engine run cycle, as described in the manual. At restart the dots turn green, but the manual says they will, even if calibration is not complete..So my question is, to anyone who has done the calibration before, how long does it take to complete the calibration? Have you seen the dots turn green before switching off the engine?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Would be interested too. Drove around for 25 minutes, and calibration never finished.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Mine is an xc90 SPA; but in case the system behaves identically...

Had all 4 tires trigger low tire pressure. I checked all 4 were about 2 psi below the recommended 38psi pressure. I kept the engine running while running a compressor that is powered from the DC socket in the center console to inflate the 4 tires. I inflated it a little over the recommended pressure (maybe 1-2 psi). After finishing, I completed the calibration button presses and returned the vehicle to the garage. Seemed to work ok the day after; I don't think I checked in between. I didn't drive it other than the few meters it took to get (in reverse) from the driveway to the garage. I don't think that small amount of driving would have been sufficient if any kind of rolling data was needed for the process.
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Driving in Delaware this weekend I got a low pressure TPMS warning. It was 97 degrees F outside. I pulled over and checked my tire pressures. All 4 tires read 42PSI on my tire gauge. I continued on my trip of about 120 miles. The next morning, after the tires cooled, I checked pressures and they were 36PSI all around. The warning light was still on when I started the car so I recalibrated and all is well, though I'm thinking of filling the tires with nitrogen.

PS. I just returned to Chicago yesterday, driving 698 miles straight through (from DC) without incident (and averaging 33mpg).

Got the low tire pressure alert yesterday, and I think it was temperature related. It was 95°F and I had been driving at highway speed for a couple of hours. I pulled over and checked the tires but they were all OK. Next morning they were still OK so I recalibrated and got rid of the alert.

ETA: I should have added that the calibration process took about five minutes at highway speed.
      Last edited by skibum50; 08-30-2018 at 06:56 PM.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

I once got tire pressure warning. Pumped up to 38psi, started re-calibration. After driving on city streets for about 10 minutes it completed.

Once weather cools down, first thing is to check air pressure, as it seems quite sensitive with the low profile tires now. Pump up a little higher and better prepared for lower temperature ahead.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 08-30-2018 at 07:34 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Had low tire pressure warning earlier this week. Found (1) tire about 8 lbs low. Will have it checked for a nail, etc if it happens again. The TPMS calibration never completed, the light just kept going around in a circle (was about 10 minutes). Finally reached my destination & shut the vehicle. When I restarted it about 2 hours later, the warning light & message were gone & everything seemed fine but I'm not sure if the calibration was properly completed. Intend to ask at the dealership when I go in for service or if I need to get tire fixed or replaced (have wheel & tire coverage).
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription, Pine Grey, Maroon Brown Interior, Polestar, Advanced, Vision, Convenience, Protection, Air Suspension, B&W, etc

All the user experience about TPMS is not very good in these cars: You never know when re-calibration is advisable, you don't know either how long it is going to take, nor whether it has been succesful or not.

I can't see how calibration should take more than 30 seconds. What the hell is it doing?
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      I can't see how calibration should take more than 30 seconds. What the hell is it doing?
      Because it is not direct pressure measurement. It monitors the spinning of each wheels and see if they are uniform. More spinning is helpful for more accurate result.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
      All the user experience about TPMS is not very good in these cars: You never know when re-calibration is advisable, you don't know either how long it is going to take, nor whether it has been succesful or not.
      Looks like user error to me. All you do is press a button and go for a 10 - 15min drive. Done.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
      Looks like user error to me. All you do is press a button and go for a 10 - 15min drive. Done.
      Hmmm, not so easy.... The manual says you need road driving. City driving is OK? Does it mean a longer time? How much? Why the system does not warn you when it's ready, or if has not completed?

There's room for improvement here ...

Hmmm, not so easy.... The manual says you need road driving. City driving is OK? Does it mean a longer time? How much? Why the system does not warn you when it's ready, or if has not completed?

I absolutely agree, this is simply an interface problem. If there system can detect a change from one state to another, a simple confirmation or NON-confirmation window can be shown on the Sensus screen.

Coincidentally, I had performed the Calibration process the day before this post appeared...after having one of their techs refill my tires at America's Tire in the morning, I drove about 18 miles on the highway and the TPMS screen was on with the "in process" circle going the entire trip, never to complete, even after driving the required 22mph. The manual even states "The system will not provide any other confirmation that calibration has been completed." which is ridiculous! So there can be a false status of accurate tire pressure after the vehicle is powered off. I have a decent tire gauge and therefore know the tires are at the correct pressure.

Below is the last step in the calibration process from the Owner's Manual:

8. Run the car until calibration is complete.
      Calibration is done when the vehicle is driving
      at a speed above 35 km/h (22 mph).

> When enough data has been collected for
      the system to detect low tire pressure, the
      color of the tire symbols in the center display
      will change from gray to green. The
      system will not provide any other confirmation
      that calibration has been completed.
      If the car's ignition is switched off before
      calibration is complete, the tires in the
      center display change color from gray to
      green upon next start-up, even if calibration
      is not complete. Perform the calibration
      again and allow it to complete within
      the same operating cycle to ensure that
      the calibration is carried out correctly.
      If start-up of calibration fails, the following
      message appears: Calibration
      unsuccessful. Try again..
      Last edited by VeeXCee; 09-01-2018 at 04:47 PM.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription - B & W

#firstworldproblems

Shout when substantial things malfunction.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

#firstworldproblems

Shout when substantial things malfunction.

@lamarguy, it seems you are one of the designers of that poor user interface (or a close relative, perhaps? )

@VeexCee explains it very well, and by reading the user manual you can realize that if the system calibration does not run to completion, there is no warning. The icons turn green as if everything were correct, but you are not calibrated and you don't know. To me, this complies with the definition of a flaw.

@VeexCee explains it very well, and by reading the user manual you can realize that if the system calibration does not run to completion, there is no warning. The icons turn green as if everything were correct, but you are not calibrated and you don't know. To me, this complies with the definition of a flaw.
      +1

It is unbelievable that the engineers Volvo made such nonsense
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

if the system calibration does not run to completion, there is no warning.
      ... which is explained in the manual.

The icons turn green as if everything were correct, but you are not calibrated and you don't know.
      ... The proper method is simply to start calibration and then drive until the wheel icons turn green. Problem solved. The process takes between five and ten minutes in my experience, so not a big deal. I don't consider that an onerous chore for the benefit of not having those old TPMS devices installed in the tires.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum50 View Post
      ... which is explained in the manual.

... The proper method is simply to start calibration and then drive until the wheel icons turn green. Problem solved. The process takes between five and ten minutes in my experience, so not a big deal. I don't consider that an onerous chore for the benefit of not having those old TPMS devices installed in the tires.
      OMG, guys!! Do you work for Volvo or what? Can you seriously say that this is OK because it is in the manual, and/or there are worse things out there?

OMG, guys!! Do you work for Volvo or what? Can you seriously say that this is OK because it is in the manual, and/or there are worse things out there?
      Nope, we're just normal users with normal expectations.

I've calibrated once (after swapping 22" shoes) and it worked fine. I started calibration and when for a ~10 minute highway drive (with the calibration screen visible). It turned green before I arrived.

Does that make me a super genius or someone who can press a button and go for a drive? You decide.

Does that make me a super genius or someone who can press a button and go for a drive? You decide.
      If you read my post, what I say is that for city driving, you cannot rely on the calibration. I know that with more than 15 min of highway ahead it works. But there are people who do not drive by a highway daily, perhaps you know.
      Anyhow, the issue is closed for me. Thanks for your lessons, I appreciate.

If you read my post, what I say is that for city driving, you cannot rely on the calibration. I know that with more than 15 min of highway ahead it works. But there are people who do not drive by a highway daily, perhaps you know.
      Anyhow, the issue is closed for me. Thanks for your lessons, I appreciate.
      My calibration was completed after about 10 minutes city drive in weekend, around 30- 40 mph, no traffic just several traffic lights. I might complain if it needs longer drive and didn't finish before I got home.

If you read my post, what I say is that for city driving, you cannot rely on the calibration. I know that with more than 15 min of highway ahead it works.
      You're frustrated, and we get that. But you're not really doing a proper calibration in the city, so you can't complain about it being unreliable.
      Calibration, by definition, involves driving at more than 22 mph/35 kph. It's easy to see that "city driving" in most big cities would make that a problem. So the answer is to perform the calibration in an area (probably the outskirts of the city) where you can do it properly.

And it definitely takes less than 15 minutes. About ten seems to be typical.

An incredibly stupid solution, must to drive 10-15 minutes to reset TPMS

Audi and BMV do not need any driving, this is done in idle state
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      An incredibly stupid solution, must to drive 10-15 minutes to reset TPMS

Audi and BMV do not need any driving, this is done in idle state
      Ummm, BMW has been putting iTPMS on a number of its vehicles since circa 2010...which all require a ~10min drive to reset.

From my quick googling, Audi has been doing the same thing. In fact, it appears they were the first manufacturer to offer iTPMS.

Ummm, BMW has been putting iTPMS on a number of its vehicles since circa 2010...which all require a ~10min drive to reset.

From my quick googling, Audi has been doing the same thing. In fact, it appears they were the first manufacturer to offer iTPMS.
      You are still writing nonsense as usual

No comment: no need to drive and wait, the system automatically completes calibration

Perhaps Volvo will have a similar technology portal for car owners in the future, very useful and educational
      Last edited by BigBang; 12-27-2018 at 05:07 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by skibum50 View Post
      You're frustrated, and we get that. But you're not really doing a proper calibration in the city, so you can't complain about it being unreliable.
      Calibration, by definition, involves driving at more than 22 mph/35 kph. It's easy to see that "city driving" in most big cities would make that a problem. So the answer is to perform the calibration in an area (probably the outskirts of the city) where you can do it properly.

And it definitely takes less than 15 minutes. About ten seems to be typical.
      The flaw is not that it does not complete calibration, is that it does not warn you that has failed (I have designed many software interfaces). This is an obvious pratfall from the designers. Hopefully they will fix it somewhen.

Anyhow, I know this is not a critical failure, is just a badly designed feature.

I made a second attempt to calibrate....I drove on the highway during off commute time so I could definitely maintain a constant speed (60mph +) and after 10 minutes the Calibration screen showed the 4 Green Dots for each tire. Confirmation achieved.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription - B & W

So help me out here people. I checked tire pressure two days ago and the pressure was just perfect all around. Today, my wife drove from work and got a warning for driver side front. She looked at it and it appeared ok so she drove home (about 15 miles). I came home few hour later and checked with a gauge. The pressure is still good all around including the said tire. The differences are no more than 0.1 PSI. Now get this - last time when i had a nail, i called Volvo and was told that they removed calibration option and i need to visit the dealer to do calibration. I could not believe my ears but this is what i needed to do. Anyone has that issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Island View Post
      So help me out here people. I checked tire pressure two days ago and the pressure was just perfect all around. Today, my wife drove from work and got a warning for driver side front. She looked at it and it appeared ok so she drove home (about 15 miles). I came home few hour later and checked with a gauge. The pressure is still good all around including the said tire. The differences are no more than 0.1 PSI. Now get this - last time when i had a nail, i called Volvo and was told that they removed calibration option and i need to visit the dealer to do calibration. I could not believe my ears but this is what i needed to do. Anyone has that issue?
      Update: Actually, the calibration is there. I'm not sure if it was due to an update the dealer did but I was able to calibrate easily. Still a bit add the the warning came up in the first place. At least I did not have to waste time.

The calibration should start back up automatically after you turn off/on the car prior to completion like it does for software updates.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      The calibration should start back up automatically after you turn off/on the car prior to completion like it does for software updates.

Volvo Owner's manual says otherwise

2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

FWIW, put some air in the tires recently. 65 uninterrupted miles later - calibration never finished.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

It consistently takes about 10 minutes or less for my car to calibrate whether its around town or on the highway. I've never had it not finish calibration successfully.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

I just inflated my tires to 40psi and recalibrated. Took less than 10mins to complete. I just left the calibration screen visible and waited for the spinning wheel to stop.

That said, iTPMS doesn't appear to work well on 35 series summer tires (hard sidewall). My tires were down ~5psi from the last calibration and the rotational circumference didn't change enough to trigger a TPMS event. It may closer to a 10psi drop on 22's.

Have run the TPMS calibration (3) or (4) times over the 6 months I have owned the vehicle. The last time I tried, it worked & took about 10 minutes of driving. The other times it did not complete & I wasn't sure if calibration was done or not. Nor do I have any idea what, if anything was different the time it did work.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription, Pine Grey, Maroon Brown Interior, Polestar, Advanced, Vision, Convenience, Protection, Air Suspension, B&W, etc

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast