Dead battery mystery
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Dead battery mystery

Hey all,

So if I don't start my 2010 S40 every couple of days the battery dies. It's a relatively new battery. I've had this problem since I've owned it, which has been about 2 years. So the story is that I was sick last weekend and didn't touch the car from Friday until Tuesday, and of course the battery was dead. I pulled my truck around to jump it and I wasn't mentating very well because I was sick, I unfortunately reversed the jumper cables on my truck (which was not running at the time) and attached them to the Volvo. ****. So they weren't on very long because of course the smoking started to happen relatively quickly and I pulled them off. So now it won't start regardless of the battery being fully charged, as my husband took the battery to work and recharged it. There are no obvious signs of blown fuses and I'm not quite sure what to do at this point.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much in advance.
      2018 S60 Cross Country - CPO
      2016 S60 Cross Country (totaled)
      2010 s40 AWD R-design (sold)
      2005 s40 T5 (sold)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There are a couple of big fuses integrated into the wiring for the battery + terminal, where the wire bends down against the battery box. I would start by checking those for continuity with a multimeter.
      Last edited by FritzM; 08-09-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Don't feel bad. I have worked on tons of cars and I recently did this to a relative's 06 v50. This car wouldn't do anything afterwards. It is a good idea to check the big fuses but the culprit in my case was fuse f23. Here's a link to a pic of the spot in the fusebox where it should be. This is looking straight at the box from the front of the car
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/ubVvdTh4wCfYHZkJ8
      It's a 10 amp fuse that controls the ecm/tcm.

Thanks guys, it's running!!!!
      2018 S60 Cross Country - CPO
      2016 S60 Cross Country (totaled)
      2010 s40 AWD R-design (sold)
      2005 s40 T5 (sold)

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements