Thoughts on Snabb FMIC mkll
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thoughts on Snabb FMIC mkll

Hi,

About to purchase the above (in the UK) and fit to my V70R, reading a few uk forums have seen comments about number of clips which could introduce a leak or even blow off at that critical moment. Any one have experiance installing this FMIC and how good are the connections?

After peace of mind before buying, i know it makes a large difference to performance.
      2005 V70R Magic Blue Pearl 467 MT; 2013 V60 Rdesign Rebel Blue 619 MT.
      previous; 2011 XC60 D5 AWD R DEsign MT; 2003 V70R flash green GT; 2001 C70 T5 GT convertible; V50 2.0 sport; V70 D5; V70R P1; 850 T5; 760 GLE; 760 turbo;

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yes:

"Having just gone and installed the Snabb FMIC it has become readily apparent (to me) that the next revision (if any should be created, I doubt it) requires several modifications to be more user friendly, less frustrating, and overall a higher quality installation with superior fit and finish compared to now.

Installing the FMIC itself is the easy part. Measure the distance from the radiator support tabs and drill some holes. Easy. I got 3.125Ē from my datum on the tab to the center of the hole. Your spacing may vary. My intercooler had exactly 18Ē spacing for the threaded bosses on top where the brackets attach. I was content with the results of this portion. It is reassembling the radiator stack where the frustration begins and some design oversights become readily apparent.

The now shortened radiator/condenser stack does not go together (why would it, it was never meant to) at least with the shorter and fatter early AC drier The longer and slimmer later drier may ameloriate the problems encountered. The support structure on the radiator interferes with the drier. A combination of trimming radiator mount plastic (sort of sketchy) and bending the drier slightly (also sort of sketchy) resulted in an even sub 1Ē gap in the radiator/condenser stack.

This leads to the next problem... the bolts included to put the stack back together are too short. Especially since I used spare silicone hose to cushion the radiator and condenser.
      All of the problems I encountered could be remedied with a stock intercooler thick rectangular spacer with seals on both sides to go ahead of the radiator. If I had some aluminum stock handy I would have done exactly that. It would have been neater, simpler, and faster. The stock fasteners would have been reusable as well.

This leads into the next issue I have with it... the FMIC has no positive retention on thr bottom aside from the outlet hose. Inexplicably there are aluminum tabs on the bottom of the FMIC that line up perfectly with the bottom bolt hole location of the radiator stack. Why arenít these threaded or at least drilled out? Thatís dumb. I guess the combination of the bumper and lower hose is supposed to be enough? I donít like it. Also the location of the FMIC requires moving the horns! At least with where I put the IC (very close to the bumper support) perhaps Snabb could add 2 more bosses to the top of the FMIC to facilitate a smoother horn relocation. I ended up rotating the horns and bending their bracket a little. The PS cooler was unaffected.

Finally, the u shaped silicone hose that goes from the OTE pipe to the FMIC should be metal. Itís going to probably rub. Itís also now more difficult to install the radiator fan. Thatís disappointing.

All in all I think the quality the installation in terms of frustration and obvious changes not being implemented is substantially lower than i was expected given the cost of the kit. For what I paid dealing with dumb choices that could have been easily avoided was irritating to me. Now the quality of the components in the kit itself I was very happy with. Core is nice, hoses are nice, thatís not a problem. Itís fit and finish that detract from the whole experience. If I was going to do this again Iíd buy an air-water intercooler and another radiator and stick that in front of the condenser... I considered Do88 however since I wanted to to all of thr piping Snabb was substantially cheaper. I think in the end Iíll be happy with it, installation issues not withstanding. Really all it needs is 2 holes drilled in the lower tabs, and a stock IC thick spacer to keep the radiator and condenser in their stock locations. "

I'm happy with the performance though... And the clamps are not coming off...
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

Thanks hounddogger, very comprehensive reply. The Snabb thread i found on this forum makes it sound more straight forward than your experiance. I am intendinv on getting my independant volvo garage to fit this so will be passing on your comments, thanks again.
      previous; 2011 XC60 D5 AWD R DEsign MT; 2003 V70R flash green GT; 2001 C70 T5 GT convertible; V50 2.0 sport; V70 D5; V70R P1; 850 T5; 760 GLE; 760 turbo;

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

One of the radiator or AC condenser support tabs is kind of sharp and will dig into that U shaped coupler on the passenger side, too. It's only an issue on 05s(probably 04s) I think. So far, it looks like sticking a silicone tab against it is the best bet.

So much of the installation was incredibly tight, especially if you have the big alternator.
      2005 V70R

2010 C30 R-Design

Thanks again, i am production week 7 in 2005 so a relevant comment, noted.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements