bicycle rack
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bicycle rack

bicycle rack

I am thinking about getting one of these to carry a couple bikes on my S90.
      Anyone have any experience with it or other they like?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You could install a hitch on the car, it would save your paint.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
      Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa - "Scarlett"
      2003 Porsche 911 - "Sally"

Sold:
      1987 Mercedes 300TD - "Veggie" ran off vegetable oil.
      2002 V70XC - "Lisbeth" - Sold 4/14/2018 with 130,202 miles.

That wouldn't be my first or even second choice. Many years ago my wife to be had a rack similar to that that she used on a Honda Prelude. I found it to be pretty fiddly and not as secure as I'd like. I have two racks now: a Thule roof rack and a hitch-mounted rack. I got the Thule rack for bikes, skis, other cargo, once I got the mount and bars, the specific attachments were acquired as needed. So the Thule is sort of a whole load carrying 'system' so to speak. The hitch mounted rack is probably more convienient and quicker to install and load bikes on. These are used on a 2002 Toyota Sequoia, haven't organized a bike rack for our V90.

I'd search around this forum some as this topic has been discussed somewhat. Some of the bike racks that were discussed were pretty cool. I suppose it depends on how cost sensitive you are for the rack, how many bikes, etc.
      2018 V90 T5 Inscription -- Denim Blue/Blond

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

been searching. Mostly what I find is what did you do with your xxx today. No specific threads

If you're just transporting 1 bike, a Seasucker Talon would be good.

I have no experience with the 2 or 3 bike eqv. I'd imagine it's more finicky.

Used the Talon on and off for my prev ride when I removed the crossbars/bike carriers for the clean look. Takes all of 2min tops to mount, and easily transferable from car to car. No scratches at all on the roof for the rear wheel sucker (front suckers was on the glass roof). Though once, I wasn't careful and the bike fell sideways when mounting - bar hit the glass roof = 10cm crack. Had it replaced under insurance.

HTH.
      Last edited by axl886; 08-13-2018 at 12:54 AM.
      < 2017 V90 T6 R-Design / P* tune / KW V3 & custom spacers / BBS 20" CH-R custom finish / front P* badge / VST front lip / Brembo 18Z / RDX lip spoiler / Heico quad tips >
      < 2013 V40 T4 R-Design (bye!) / P* tune / Eibach spacers & springs / 100mm Ti tips / Heico-style flank decals / Dave Barton's moose / OE Revozport A45 spoiler / Advan RSII / Aeroworkz lip / OE Roush extractors / GruppeM intake / de-chromed trim / carbon-wrapped mirrors / painted calipers >

I got a roof rack for my S90. Great for carrying bikes. As for the trunk mount, I've had one before, no matter how careful you are, the rubber coated hooks that attach to the side of the trunk will chip the paint.

I've had roof racks on my cars for decades, mainly fork mounts. My bike is too valuable to hang from the top tube.

I follow a GMI forum and today the following reference appeared: https://www.autoguide.com/top-13-best-car-bike-racks
      Might be of interest.....

Quote Originally Posted by murrays View Post
      I've had roof racks on my cars for decades, mainly fork mounts. My bike is too valuable to hang from the top tube.
      This is a little OT, but I assume you're talking about the hitch-mounted racks in which the bikes hang from the top tube. I've heard this comment before and don't quite understand the objection. Might I ask why you feel this way?

Quote Originally Posted by sawitt View Post
      This is a little OT, but I assume you're talking about the hitch-mounted racks in which the bikes hang from the top tube. I've heard this comment before and don't quite understand the objection. Might I ask why you feel this way?
      The paint on the bikes I haul is just as important to me as the paint on my cars, but even more so, the potential to dent thin wall steel or titanium tubing or, even worse, damage carbon frames is well worth mounting to the wheels and/or fork mounts.

The paint on the bikes I haul is just as important to me as the paint on my cars, but even more so, the potential to dent thin wall steel or titanium tubing or, even worse, damage carbon frames is well worth mounting to the wheels and/or fork mounts.
      I didn't consider the paint on the bike frame and perhaps didn't appreciate the potential for denting a metal frame. I'm kind of a big guy so still riding steel and probably won't ever get to carbon fiber. Thanks for the explanation.

roof racks make me nervous here. lots of low hanging untrimmed trees around. what hitch? Volvo or other? Any hitch racks favored over others?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLmUXyWjAuY at about 2:40 in. Anyone know if Volvo still makes it an what the part or model is? Looks pretty smart.

If you go hitch rack, it’s hard to do better than a one up USA rack. https://www.1up-usa.com. I also have the Volvo (Thule) roof rack and bike trays which are a better deal than buying direct from Thule, but after getting a hitch installed on my cc I’m back to relying on the much more convenient 1up. I would advise against the rack in your picture or any rack that sits on the trunk. Much too nice a car to wreck your paint like that and those racks are a terrible way to transport a bike for the reasons already stated. The 1up just touches tires so no frame rubbing issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Teleman View Post
      If you go hitch rack, it’s hard to do better than a one up USA rack. https://www.1up-usa.com. I also have the Volvo (Thule) roof rack and bike trays which are a better deal than buying direct from Thule, but after getting a hitch installed on my cc I’m back to relying on the much more convenient 1up. I would advise against the rack in your picture or any rack that sits on the trunk. Much too nice a car to wreck your paint like that and those racks are a terrible way to transport a bike for the reasons already stated. The 1up just touches tires so no frame rubbing issues.

So Teleman, in your opinion the 1up hitch rack would be superior to those from Thule and Kuat cos there might be frame rubbing issues with the latter 2?

Been mucking around on Stealthhitch website, the receiver size for V90 should be "2" Square" (not 1 1/4"), correct?

Thanks.
      < 2017 V90 T6 R-Design / P* tune / KW V3 & custom spacers / BBS 20" CH-R custom finish / front P* badge / VST front lip / Brembo 18Z / RDX lip spoiler / Heico quad tips >
      < 2013 V40 T4 R-Design (bye!) / P* tune / Eibach spacers & springs / 100mm Ti tips / Heico-style flank decals / Dave Barton's moose / OE Revozport A45 spoiler / Advan RSII / Aeroworkz lip / OE Roush extractors / GruppeM intake / de-chromed trim / carbon-wrapped mirrors / painted calipers >

Yes, 1up is the choice of pretty much everyone in my bike club, and most of us have tried many others. Not just frame rubbing, but you can run one tray alone when you want, and each tray folds down to a size you can easily put in your trunk. Trays tilts up when not in use, and tilts away if you need to get in trunk. They are works of art really. Mine has seen tons of use over the years.

My local bike shop likes Yakama hitch racks. Saris is also right up the road from me.

I don't have one personally so I don't have much opinion.

the 1Up just slides and pins into the hitch, correct? Are you using a Volvo hitch or an after-market?

bicycle rack

I have a stealth hitch on my CC. Any square receiver will work with the 1up. 2 inch is better, but they have one for the smaller receiver as well with different bike limit. The 1up has a unique lock bolt that removes all jiggling and is somewhat theft proof as well.

doesn't appear that Stealth makes one for the S90 as yet.

This is also an option
      https://www.kuppermounts.com/

Yeah, no. Like how the pedal digs into the roof paint as he mounts the bike on the rack. Wouldn’t trust one of those suction jobbies in a million years.

I have a stealth hitch on my CC. Any square receiver will work with the 1up. 2 inch is better, but they have one for the smaller receiver as well with different bike limit. The 1up has a unique lock bolt that removes all jiggling and is somewhat theft proof as well.

How easy/difficult is to install/remove the latch receiver from the Stealth Hitch latching mechanism? I have a lowered V90 so worry that access to that step will be somewhat hindered. Gonna use the bike rack only for weekends, so receiver will be removed come Sun evening. Thanks!

Yeah, no. Like how the pedal digs into the roof paint as he mounts the bike on the rack. Wouldn’t trust one of those suction jobbies in a million years.

They use suction cups to install 1 tonne windows onto side of buildings. I'm sure it can hold a bike pretty well.

I've had numerous Thule's which worked fine, but I consider the Saris top-of-the-line for this type carrier. Recently I've used Thule load bars and bike attachments for the roof, but this is a more expensive option, and can be a pain loading and unloading the bikes. The trailer hitch is probably the best type carrier if you wish to invest in the hitch and carrier assembly.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

Look at the bright side...it might provide a good opportunity to my $8k road bike for the cost of a suction cup rack

Quote Originally Posted by kozak79 View Post
      Sure, as you mentioned, suction cups are capable of lifting literally tons of weight...when they are clean, new and attached to clean surfaces. How are they after a decade of use in the sun, exposed to winter salt, sitting in a dusty garage, etc? I can confirm that Thule racks, for example, work great after decades of use.

Sure, as you mentioned, suction cups are capable of lifting literally tons of weight...when they are clean, new and attached to clean surfaces. How are they after a decade of use in the sun, exposed to winter salt, sitting in a dusty garage, etc? I can confirm that Thule racks, for example, work great after decades of use.
      That's fine, I have volvo roof bars on my S90 with a Thule bike holder on it. But this is an option for people not wanting a roof rack. The video does show the person wiping down the roof with what looks like an alcohol wipe.

Thanks to Teleman's recommendation, I'm following in his footsteps and using the Stealth Hitch and 1Up combo!

Set it up for the first time last night, everything seems really solid. Even went out for a shakedown drive. Now, to hit the trails tomorrow!

Same, I went with the Stealth hitch along with a 1Up rack on my V90 and couldn't be happier. Being able to pull the hitch receiver when I'm not using it has been a game changer.

It is funny, the reason I have a wagon is that I lay the rear seat flat and simply slide the bike in. I have this nightmare memory of driving home from the track as a kid with something like $4k of bikes hanging on an Allen rack and seeing the rack slide off of the back of the car and under a semi. I have also seen garages do in bikes mounted on top. Take the front wheel off, and I can fit two bikes inside.

Hitch mounted rack is by far the best solution. Any brand that secures the bike at the wheels and not the frame works very well (Thule, Kuat, 1-up, etc). I race road bikes and we all trust our $3000-10,000 race bikes on these racks.

Roof mount is OK but we all know someone who has wiped their bike off of the roof rack... usually in their own garage.

Trunk mounted racks are a last resort and are commonly used on rental cars while on vacation.

Over the years I have tried every kind of rack on many different cars including hitch mounted. Only a hitch mount or a roof mount will keep you for damaging the paint. I have a V60 and before the V60 it was a hatch back style car. My reasons are I don't want my rack to block the access to my rear hatch or the backup cam. I also didn't like the bike frames in the rear view window and blocking the back up lights. With a roof rack the only downside for me is some parking garages can't take my car due to height. Trailer hitch installed vs load bars can be about the same cost in the end. Roof rack vs hitch rack might be about the same cost too. IMHO...I'll stick with fork mounted roof rack.

Roof mount is OK but we all know someone who has wiped their bike off of the roof rack.
      My wife and I were on a serious bike tour in northern California some years ago, and one afternoon, sitting in the van with all our bikes on top (I think there were eight--it was a "church van") on the way to the overnight stop at a motel, the driver, our tour leader, wiped out the front two bikes on the motel's entranceway marquee. If a guy who runs bike tours as a profession can forget he has bikes up top, it can happen to anyone.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast