TPMS sensor replacement question
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

TPMS sensor replacement question

A search of the forum seems to indicate no overwhelming reason to use the relatively expensive Volvo part when replacing the TPMS sensor. It seems that quite a folks have used the VDO aftermarket TPMS sensors with good results, but I did not see anything specific about the VDO unit relative to the XC90 generally.

So I'd like to ask a few questions: Is anyone familiar with the VDO TPMS sensor? It looks like the VDO has a replaceable battery (CR2) - is this truly the case? Finally, is part number VDO-SE10003 the unit I want for my 2008 XC90 V8 Sport?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm not familiar with VDO's but that's what I plan on buying for our snow tires. They do not require programming before installation just have them installed and you're good to go. This is really nice as some TPMS senders are universal and require programming.

If you look at their website at: http://showmetheparts.com/vdo/ you'll see that these fit all years of XC90. There's also a VDO-SE10003A listed as being compatible. I don't know how that variant is different from the non "A" version.

Bumping this thread as my TPMS sensor(s) have finally given up the ghost and I'm getting the warnings through the dashboard display.

The plan is to replace all four and I just want to double check on the sensor itself. From what I can tell, the 2008 uses a 315 MHz sensor and there are a considerable number of replacements offered. Is there any reason not to go with the reasonably priced VDO unit (SE10003) mentioned in my original query?

A related question: It looks like a special tool is needed to activate the new sensors (e. g., Autel TS401 MaxiTPMS Activation Tool). I'm hoping to have my local tire & wheel shop install the new sensors and re-balance the wheels. Is it reasonable to assume they'll have the needed activation tool?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

They are already to go out of the box. Because we donít have advanced monitoring (fl,fr,rr,rl separation) they donít need to have any advanced configuration. Get them installed and drive 25mph or more for 10 mins.
      2010 XC90 V8 - 140k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - traded with 177k. Lost compression on cyl 5.
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

I have 4 OE Volvo p/n 30748991, date code 2010, from an XC90 V8.

They have been dormant for years. Should be good for several more years of reliable service.

No activation required.

(For the purist, collar nut cleans up with a toothbrush and cleaner or you can buy a rebuilt kit on eBay that includes all the parts new)

4 TPMS, $80 shipped, USPS small flat rate box.

Last edited by PAX5; 10-28-2018 at 12:36 PM.
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by Masscomguru View Post
      They are already to go out of the box. Because we donít have advanced monitoring (fl,fr,rr,rl separation) they donít need to have any advanced configuration. Get them installed and drive 25mph or more for 10 mins.
      Thanks Masscomguru. Ordered (~$128 for 4) and should arrive later this week, so I will only have to drive a few days with a piece of black electrical tape on the display panel . . .

Was going to write in the other thread but thought to add to this one.

Noted a UEM-00A3 last week and ordered a set of VDO SE10003, had them put on yesterday. Schrader (OE PN 30748991) sensors that came off were manufactured 09/07 so they needed to be changed at some point regardless.

TPMS light went out, I drove the car home and checked in VIDA (Vehicle Communication/Advanced/Read out the stored ID for the tyre pressure sensors) and saw 4 identical serial numbers in the windows, all with identical pressure. I reset the window, assuming that the UEM would pick up the "new" serial numbers (redi sensors have a unique serial number?) and took the car out for a long drive today. Let the car sit for an hour or so and did another readout (select Get Data IIRC), now all four windows are noted with the number zero for SN and the number zero for pressure. History window also notes all zeros as reported. The TPMS light is still out and no TPMS related UEM errors are noted in VIDA. Go figure...

I'll likely take the car in for a program. I decided to try it this way first (save some $) but wanted to ask if anyone has looked in VIDA after the fact with an out of the box re-learn (drive car >25mph for total 10 minutes, followed by 15 minutes rest) to see if unique serial numbers were picked up?

Did anyone try the driving re-learn but end up getting them programmed at a shop?

Thanks
      Last edited by ggleavitt; 01-28-2019 at 05:43 PM. Reason: add PN for OE sensor
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 200k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 130k

Car went back to the tire shop yesterday and all sensors were read and triggered (they do indeed have unique SNs). Drove the car for around a 1/2 hour, let it sit for an hour and still zeros. Thought to disconnect the battery and reconnect after an hour or so last night, to ensure that UEM was not in some odd place. Drove car today for around 1.5 hours, checked car after an hour and it's still all zeros.

At this point I would suggest that the VDO SE10003, at least the four units I have, will NOT work properly as a plug and play. Yes, it makes the TMPS light go away but think that's about it.

I'll take a step back and call my local dealer, see if VDO Redi-Sensor compatibility is a known issue or not and if there's any workaround. If no reasonable workaround, I'll swap the sensors out for another make, probably Schrader just to keep things consistent with what was in before. Too bad, I was really hoping these would work.

I'll post back on this thread if something changes.

Cut_paste from VIDA for how this is supposed to work:

The system covers the upper electronic module (UEM) (4/70) and the sensors in the wheels. The sensors in the wheels are activated when the vehicle exceeds 40 km/h (25 mph). The sensors then start to transmit data messages approximately once per minute, which are received by the remote control receiver in the Upper electronic module (UEM). These messages contain the sensor's ID number and air pressure in the tire where the sensor is mounted.

The frequency used by sensors to transmit is the same for all sensors. Thus, the control module can receive signals also from other vehicles with the same system installed. However, the ID-number in each sensor is unique.

Sensors installed on your own vehicle can be retrieved by a statistical selection in the Upper Electronic Module (UEM). When the ignition is turned on the Upper Electronic Module (UEM) starts to listen for messages from the sensors. The control module registers the ID-numbers contained in the received messages transmitted by the sensors, both from own and from other vehicles.

All ID-numbers are added in a list in the internal memory by the Upper Electronic Module (UEM). For each received ID-number, the number of times it has been received is also saved. As the quantity of received ID-numbers increases, an assessment takes place of which ID-numbers have been received most times. The four ID-numbers that have been received most often get the highest "ranking" and are then considered to belong to the own vehicle. In this way any ID-numbers that may have been received from other vehicles with the same type of system, e.g., driving in the adjacent lane, are separated. This assessment takes approx. 5 minutes if the Upper Electronic Module (UEM) is empty of data.

If the evaluation has been carried out, the sensors that are assumed to belong to the actual vehicle are stored in the control module. The information remains between each driving cycle. In this case, it is sufficient for the control module to receive a message from each sensor with corresponding ID number to complete evaluation.
      In Upper Electronic Module (UEM), there are tables programmed with the recommended air pressure for this specific vehicle model. This information about air pressure in tires included in messages from sensors is compared to programmed values in Upper Electronic Module (UEM).

If the pressure reported from a sensor differs more than 22% from the recommended value, a warning message will be shown in the Driver information module (DIM).
      There are two warning levels that generate different warning messages, one warning for low pressure and one warning for no pressure. A message will also be shown is a sensor should stop transmitting or should receive too low battery voltage.

To reset a warning it is easiest to stop the vehicle and fill air in the tire where the air pressure is low. In order for the warning to reset air has to be filled so that the air pressure reaches a level that corresponds to at least 95% of the recommended air pressure, and then drive the vehicle faster than 40 km/h (25 mph) for more than 10 minutes, accumulated time.

The easiest way to test if the sensor is working is to reduce tyre pressure to about 50% of normal, and go for a drive. Within a short time (maybe a mile or so) the TPMS system should alert you to the low air pressure problem.

VIDA doesn't always show all data properly. VIDA also has bugs....

Quote Originally Posted by ggleavitt View Post
      Cut_paste from VIDA for how this is supposed to work:
      The four ID-numbers that have been received most often get the highest "ranking" and are then considered to belong to the own vehicle.
      Could it still be looking for the old sensors? If you had them for 10 years it might take a long time for the new ones to rack up enough sightings to take over. Maybe there's a way (need) to reset the counters...
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 175,000 miles and counting...

SwissXC90- I'll try the tire pressure test, see if there's any functionality being reported to the UEM that's not visible in VIDA but even then, it's not working like it should so I'll want them replaced.

John- If you read post #9 above, you'll note that no sensor was reported in UEM history during the drive(s), therefore no sensor will be reported in the system. This is a pretty dynamic process. There is a reset box for each wheel in VIDA, I did that last week. There may well be a manual method to program these via a dealer VIDA connection, it's not visible in my copy of VIDA (just reset and get data).

Frequency is correct, so it's likely protocol or data that's not being processed properly. I'll continue poking at this, I'm not going to leave a set of sensors on my car that don't do what they're supposed to. My hope is that I'll come up with some cost effective plug and play option, OE sensors are $85 each ($105 retail).

A local tire shop in NJ replaced two at seperate times. They installed and 'programmed' . $25 bucks out the door. Never had a problem. No need to spend big $$.
      '07 XC90 3.2 AWD Black
      '04 S60 2.5T AWD Black Sapphire
      '90 780 Bertone Turbo Red Pearl (gone )

Great, PN or sensor manufacturer/model used to replace?

How do you know you "never had a problem", because the TMPS dash light went out and you saw the replacement serial numbers in VIDA?

It was more than a year ago. Sorry, i don't have PN or Manu. The valve broke at tip, where you could not add air & the sensor was still ok. I figured for 25, if it didnt work, I'd be going to dealer. The light went on recently with the extreme temp changes. So i know sensor.is working. Didn't need Vida/Dice or trip to stealer
      '07 XC90 3.2 AWD Black
      '04 S60 2.5T AWD Black Sapphire
      '90 780 Bertone Turbo Red Pearl (gone )

Whole idea behind my adding to this post was to get detailed information on what works and what does not. And by working, for me it needs to work as designed in the car, with sensors visible in the UEM with individual serial number and pressure, just like it did when the car was new.

Thanks for the input, I'll guess there are a few options out there with potentially varying degrees of functionality. Glad your sensor is working for you.

VDO SE10003 still not displaying serial or pressure in UEM. I did some more looking and have come across Schrader 20156 and Denso 550-2901 as documented 315Mhz metal stem "drop in" sensor replacements. Both are identical in physical appearance (block shape like the old OE Schrader sensors) but they are red color instead of OE green.

Price is pretty close between the two (~$40 each). I have an order in for four of the Schrader 20156 sensors since that's what came out, will try a trigger via TPMS tool on one sensor and see if it reads in UEM before replacing on the tires. I'll update with the results of the Schrader sensor next week.

Any update on this TPMS issue?
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design

Always in a rushÖ.

Sensors arrived on Thursday, stamped as manufactured 02/07 but brand new in box AirAware 20156, made in France. See photos- https://photos.app.goo.gl/sDGtPXvkFYW29EwKA

I wrote the person who sold them to me and suggested if there was any issue with the batteries, I would be sending the sensors back. I have a TPMS tool on order (TS408), will trigger a sensor and do a spot check to see what shows up in the UEM when it arrives. If you look these up on the internet, photos that show up most have 07 stamped, just like what I received.

I was curious about battery shelf life, the OE sensor I cracked opened had an encapsulated RENATA CR2450N battery inside. I checked Renata and Energizer sites for lithium shelf life data and it looks like approx. 1% per year capacity loss due to gas exchange at nominal 23C storage. Probably makes these batteries a walk in at 89% capacity. Since the true life of a TMPS sensor is a direct function of RF transmissions and that occurs when the sensor is active, I'm not going to lose much sleep over an 11% drop but I will for sure check before putting them on.

We have some odd weather here, I'll probably not get to this for another couple weeks. At this point I'll suggest that the VDO SE10003 is out for me, and I'm feeling prematurely optimistic that the Schrader 20156 sensor (and the Denso 550-2901 which I believe is the same thing) will work as designed.

I think there are a few compatible options in the 315Mhz space, more if youíre willing to live with a rubber stem. If I can find an auto parts store thatís amenable, at some point I might try a couple different sensors and see what shows up when triggered.

Last and certainly not least, I believe there is truth to the TPMS frequency change with the XC90 although Iím having a hard time getting anything definitive as to exactly when that occurs. Autel notes a change to 433 during 2008 MY, then back to 315 until 2012. VIDA and a couple other sites suggest a change to 433Mhz across the line after chassis 688293 (post 2012?). I would suggest that anyone contemplating a TPMS purchase in a latter model car have their sensors scanned to validate frequency. For anyone in the North American market who determines that they have OE 433Mhz sensors on their car, please post last 6 of VIN so that we can have some data to validate against.
      Last edited by ggleavitt; 02-14-2019 at 07:15 PM. Reason: syntactically incorrect, corrected

MHz not mhz.
      Orders of magnitude difference.

MHz=Megahertz
      mhz=millihertz

I'm trying to think of something that would be measured in milliHertz... Tides?
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 175,000 miles and counting...

I finally got a chance to check Vida with my new VDO SE10003 TPMS I installed last November. I did check on the VDO site and cross referenced my VIN so I knew I had the right sensor and 315MHz signal. So, as ggleavitt said, Vida diganostic communication may show 0 for serial and 0 for pressure. I believe if you open the window in Vida, it is for a diagnostic, not necessarily for the saved serial for specific tire corner. I believe the system is not as sophisticated and just memorizes the four TPMS sensor serial numbers over a given time, at over ~30mph.

I did the initial diagnostic reading and got 0 for serial and pressure. Then I went for a drive, making sure to hit above 30mph. I kept on checking for each wheel serial and some were the same, some were not. In all, I saw four different serials as I kept on refreshing during the drive (safely at stops). So, the system is not wheel specific, just signal and serial specific. Vida shows specific wheel readings so an installer can manually coordinate the test while activating. So if a tech is at the front/right wheel, he refreshes that one on Vida, and for the duration of the diagnostic, it will memorize the serial/pressure. Then a tech can go to each wheel, manually repeating the activation/checking process. That way if one specific wheel is not working, you will see it on Vida.

I think I did read someone else's TPMS one time, but I made sure to refresh and note the repeated serial numbers. So, according to my test, the XC90 is reading the four VDO TPMS sensors and may memorize the serials based on time and speed. An unsophisticated system, but it works.

The pressure reads in kpa. 250kpa is ~36psi

2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 150k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

About the XC90 3.2 - The good, the bad, and the ugly
      Upgrade front end rebuild with OEM, aftermarket, and original parts
      The better transmission JWS 3309/T-IV fluid for your 5 or 6 speed
      Strut Recommendations based on your specific XC90
      Why it's better to use synthetic oil instead of conventional

TS408 TPMS tool arrived this afternoon, went around all four corners and selectively triggered sensors one at a time, doing a "show data" in the UEM screen for the applicable wheel before moving to the next. I see the VDO sensors register as well in this manner, serial number and pressure in kilopascals. I have a similar photo updated in the link above. My conversion ends up as 36.5 and 36 psi, where I run my tires much of the time. I also have Dueler H/L Alenza Plus on both cars, very happy with them overall.

Suspect your theory is correct, VIDA window is demonstrating communication and registration but not necessarily what's being stored. UEM does its thing and so long as there are four sensors stored per the algorithm above and they're not too high or not too low in pressure (I forgot to check in UEM activations, numbers are probably there), the dash light stays off. That's pretty much it.

Wishful thinking perhaps to expect to see the stored SN in VIDA at its "correct" position and have it stay there over some drive cycles.

Schrader sensors report in UEM as well when triggered, no reason to suggest they would not work installed on the wheels. I'll need to do something with these, otherwise they'll sit on the shelf next to the rebuilt V8 injectors from the valve cover job I did. $140 for the set of four (what I paid for them) plus flat rate shipping, if anyone is interested PM me.

Think a whole bunch of sensors will function, VDO SE10003 is back on the list. Having someone do a manual trigger to validate that the UEM sees each sensor in VIDA or another OBD based tool is probably enough to prove successful identification and assumed functionality in the car. That's what I think now.

Thanks for having a look into this, excellent timing.

**Looking back to post #9- Had I read more carefully, what you describe is exactly in there. Having a couple visual confirmations makes it easier to understand that it's not an issue. Plus I am now the proud owner of a very useful tool that'll go on the shelf with the 5 cylinder PCV test manometer I own.
      Last edited by ggleavitt; 02-19-2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: **, add Dueler

New updates?

I am about to pull the trigger on the VDO SE10003 REDI-Sensor 315 MHz, though I have better shipping options (speed) ordering Mobiletron. I don't know if you ran into these sensors in your search but curious if you learned anything else new.

Part of me also is wondering if I am overthinking the purchase of TPMS sensors. I am assuming after all these years they are becoming a commodity.
      2010 XC90 3.2 AWD / 2008 xc70 3.2
      Somewhere in space and time

Quote Originally Posted by Volvonomics View Post
      A local tire shop in NJ replaced two at seperate times. They installed and 'programmed' . $25 bucks out the door. Never had a problem. No need to spend big $$.
      where in NJ ?? and name of shop please

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownV View Post
      I finally got a chance to check Vida with my new VDO SE10003 TPMS I installed last November. I did check on the VDO site and cross referenced my VIN so I knew I had the right sensor and 315MHz signal. So, as ggleavitt said, Vida diganostic communication may show 0 for serial and 0 for pressure. I believe if you open the window in Vida, it is for a diagnostic, not necessarily for the saved serial for specific tire corner. I believe the system is not as sophisticated and just memorizes the four TPMS sensor serial numbers over a given time, at over ~30mph.

I did the initial diagnostic reading and got 0 for serial and pressure. Then I went for a drive, making sure to hit above 30mph. I kept on checking for each wheel serial and some were the same, some were not. In all, I saw four different serials as I kept on refreshing during the drive (safely at stops). So, the system is not wheel specific, just signal and serial specific. Vida shows specific wheel readings so an installer can manually coordinate the test while activating. So if a tech is at the front/right wheel, he refreshes that one on Vida, and for the duration of the diagnostic, it will memorize the serial/pressure. Then a tech can go to each wheel, manually repeating the activation/checking process. That way if one specific wheel is not working, you will see it on Vida.

I think I did read someone else's TPMS one time, but I made sure to refresh and note the repeated serial numbers. So, according to my test, the XC90 is reading the four VDO TPMS sensors and may memorize the serials based on time and speed. An unsophisticated system, but it works.

The pressure reads in kpa. 250kpa is ~36psi

I thought I read in another thread that for the model year 2008 only they used a 433 MHz frequency for the TPMS. Help?
      2007 S60R GT, Magic Blue/Nordkap
      2005 S60 AWD, Silver/Black
      2001 C70 Coupe HPT, Black/Black
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive, Ember Black/Chestnut

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyvette View Post
      I thought I read in another thread that for the model year 2008 only they used a 433 MHz frequency for the TPMS. Help?
      Look it up. It is done by VIN number. My VIN fell before the 433MHz changeover. If you are getting it from somewhere else that doesn't mention the VIN, then it is not fully accurate information. In the VDO parts description for the TPMS, it mentions 433MHz is for VIN with the last 6 digits from 456767.
      This is VDO's site: https://www.redi-sensor.com/application-look-up/
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 150k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownV View Post
      Look it up. It is done by VIN number. My VIN fell before the 433MHz changeover. If you are getting it from somewhere else that doesn't mention the VIN, then it is not fully accurate information. In the VDO parts description for the TPMS, it mentions 433MHz is for VIN with the last 6 digits from 456767.
      This is VDO's site: https://www.redi-sensor.com/application-look-up/
      Thank you for the help. This is my sixth Volvo but my first XC90. My vin is 460xxx so I guess that's after the 456767. We tried to scan the frequency of the existing sensors but either they're all dead or not there at all. The change for one model year is confusing enough let alone the break during the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyvette View Post
      Thank you for the help. This is my sixth Volvo but my first XC90. My vin is 460xxx so I guess that's after the 456767. We tried to scan the frequency of the existing sensors but either they're all dead or not there at all. The change for one model year is confusing enough let alone the break during the year.
      On the VDO website is says my vin is after the 433 changeover. Two different Volvo dealership parts guys tell me mine is 315 after looking up my vin. I guess I'll go with them seeing they should be the experts.

Two different dealership parts guys tell me my 08 uses the 315 MHz sensors. So now, does it matter if I use the steel stem or the rubber stem units?

Good job double-checking and if you get it from the dealership and on your receipt, it says 315, but it ends up being 433, ask them if the computer is wrong if you can return/exchange it. BTW, it wouldn't be the first time the parts department was wrong on a changeover year.

If it was me, I could take VIDA and check if the vehicle will read the sensor before installation. If you cannot do that, then see if the tire installer you go to can.

I like to use rubber because there is less chance for corrosion over time.

34. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements