Dafuture 111's 850 Rebuild/Mild Mod Thread
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dafuture 111's 850 Rebuild/Mild Mod Thread

Hi all! I've been a lurker on here for years, so I figure a bit of a backstory is necessary:

My parents purchased our '95 850 GLT new in October '94, just before I turned 1. The 850 has been my faithful companion ever since; from my blossoming car addiction at age 2, being the car I learned to drive in, to the wonderful news I received just the other day: it's finally mine for good!
      Now that my Dad has relinquished control of the car to me, I figure it's time for some upgrades and repairs that have been neglected over the past decade.

Admittedly, it's not in the best shape. There are dents, dings, and scratches galore. The seats are cracked and torn (most likely beyond repair). More things were worn out than I'd have ever allowed if I hadn't been a broke college student. That being said, now that I've been working, I finally have the funds to make all the changes I've dreamed of for years. In the last year, I've managed to do (or have a shop do) the following:

-New shocks all around
      -New o2 sensors
      -New control arms/ball joints
      -New PCV
      -Throttle Body Cleaned
      -New timing belt (this somehow survived being 70k miles past it's change date)
      -New coolant level sensor
      -Rebuilt gauge cluster for new lights/fixed broken odometer gear
      -New spark plugs, distributor, wires, etc.
      -New coolant, brake fluid, oil
      -New rotors and pads

At this point, mechanically the car is in much better shape than when I took it over. It does still need some repairs, namely:

-New knock sensor
      -New steering shaft u-joint
      -Windshield weather stripping replaced
      -Sunroof drains cleaned
      -Alignment
      -Engine Mounts
      -New fuel filter
      -(I'm sure there's a few other things I'm forgetting. It's a work in progress for sure).

While I'm at it, I'll probably throw some small mods in too. So far I'm working on the following:

-960 Throttle body plate
      -Intake thermometer cool air mod
      -New wheels (edit: wheels sold before I got there, looking for different OEM 17s)
      -Grom audio 3.5mm audio hookup
      -R front Bumper
      -Delrin Subframe Bushings
      -21.8mm RSB

I'm always open to thoughts, suggestions, concerns, and anything else. Though this ended up being a bit long winded, I'm hoping that some of you veterans on here will be able to steer me in the right direction with what the things I'm doing. Especially since my plan is to never have this car leave my side.

Most people think I'm crazy for pouring so much money into an old, N/A, banged up Volvo. They're wrong. I'm just crazy for the Volvo.

(I'll update with some pictures when I get home! Work computers don't make this easy).
      Last edited by dafuture 111; 09-18-2018 at 07:49 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Congrats on making it officially yours and being a better caretaker. Is it a sedan or a wagon? Since you are working with an NA performance mods are going to be limited. Probably the most significant changes you can make are going to be the way it handles.

So, add to your list:

• IPD anti-sway bars and thicker end links
      • Delrin subframe bushings
      • Uprated brakes from the later models
      • 17" wheels & tires

Quote Originally Posted by DrewsT5 View Post
      Congrats on making it officially yours and being a better caretaker. Is it a sedan or a wagon? Since you are working with an NA performance mods are going to be limited. Probably the most significant changes you can make are going to be the way it handles.

So, add to your list:

• IPD anti-sway bars and thicker end links
      • Delrin subframe bushings
      • Uprated brakes from the later models
      • 17" wheels & tires

Thanks! It's a sedan, can't believe I forgot to mention that haha. Black on tan leather with a double brown pinstripe down the side. It was dark when I got home tonight, so no chance for pictures.

Those are all good mods though. Any thoughts on what brakes I can grab? The sway bars, endlinks, and subframe bushings would all be welcome upgrades.
      17" wheels were already on my list! I've been looking for a set of Propus wheels that I can throw on there, I love the look. I'd love a set of Titans or Pegs as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dafuture 111 View Post
      Thanks! It's a sedan, can't believe I forgot to mention that haha. Black on tan leather with a double brown pinstripe down the side. It was dark when I got home tonight, so no chance for pictures.

Those are all good mods though. Any thoughts on what brakes I can grab? The sway bars, endlinks, and subframe bushings would all be welcome upgrades.
      17" wheels were already on my list! I've been looking for a set of Propus wheels that I can throw on there, I love the look. I'd love a set of Titans or Pegs as well.
      I don't know too much about the brake upgrades, but there are pseudo-experts right here in this forum who will no doubt chime in and give you proper direction.

I know someone who just posted those wheels for sale, but I'm guessing you're not on the West Coast. They're beautiful when it great condition like these are:

Propus Wheels 4 Sale.JPG

If you look around enough you find good stuff for sale. These would be a nice upgrade for your cracked leather seats - granted the driver's seat is messed up, but could be repaired by a upholstery shop:

850R Tan Seats 4 Sale.JPG

Ah, both of those would have been great finds. Unfortunately I'm in New York, so it would be tough to pick those up haha. Those 850R seats especially, that one's a killer.

I'm hoping to find more stuff on the east coast, I've been scouring Craigslist for parts for the last week!

subscribed

My dad and I are doing the same thing to his NA right now lol. I go back and forth from taking it seriously to thinking what we are doing is absolutely hilarious. Either way we're having a good time .

Drew's suggestions are excellent except I would recommend only upgrading the rear sway bar. The reasons for this have been discussed at length here and in the s/v70 forum.
      Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      The trick for fwd is to make the rear stiff and controlled and leave the front softer to keep the wheels on the ground. Don't do a front. Upgrade the rear and make the chassis neutral.
      The 302mm front brakes are an essential safety upgrade. When you get your 17" wheels and put some good tires on them the stock brakes are going to be by far the weak link. Also I would recommend staying away from Pegs; they don't really fit 850s.
      Last edited by JaredR; 09-02-2018 at 08:36 PM.
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 297k.
      1997 850R Estate. B5234T9/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 140k.
      Instagram: Jared's Volvo Page

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      subscribed

My dad and I are doing the same thing to his NA right now lol. I go back and forth from taking it seriously to thinking what we are doing is absolutely hilarious. Either way we're having a good time .

Drew's suggestions are excellent except I would recommend only upgrading the rear sway bar. The reasons for this have been discussed at length here and in the s/v70 forum. The 302mm front brakes are an essential safety upgrade. When you get your 17" wheels and put some good tires on them the stock brakes are going to be by far the weak link. Also I would recommend staying away from Pegs; they don't really fit 850s.
      Good to know, thanks Jared! (ironically this is my name as well). By any chance, did you get my PM from a few days back?

Great point on the rear sway. I'm not pushing much into handling since this is essentially a cruiser, but that definitely can't hurt. Any thoughts on where I can source some 302mm front brakes? Is there another Volvo that had them?
      Definitely going to stay away from Pegs then. Never really looked too much at width/offset vs. the 850, just always loved the design. I nearly had an S60R as my first car, but the dealer crashed it while I had a deposit down. Just couldn't find another good one after that.

I was also thinking I'd love an R front bumper (mine is trashed). The car could probably use some light body work as well, as it has a mis-aligned windshield, dented fender, and the hood is slightly misaligned.

Good to know, thanks Jared! (ironically this is my name as well). By any chance, did you get my PM from a few days back?

Great point on the rear sway. I'm not pushing much into handling since this is essentially a cruiser, but that definitely can't hurt. Any thoughts on where I can source some 302mm front brakes? Is there another Volvo that had them?
      Definitely going to stay away from Pegs then. Never really looked too much at width/offset vs. the 850, just always loved the design. I nearly had an S60R as my first car, but the dealer crashed it while I had a deposit down. Just couldn't find another good one after that.

I was also thinking I'd love an R front bumper (mine is trashed). The car could probably use some light body work as well, as it has a mis-aligned windshield, dented fender, and the hood is slightly misaligned.
      I do see your PM now! Sorry I didn't reply sooner; I was a bit distracted that week. Response coming shortly.

IPD has the best price on the 302mm brackets that I'm aware of. Get Zimmermann rotors from FCP.

The hood alignment is easy to fix. Just loosen the bolts on the hinges and you can move it around as needed. I'll keep my eye out for black fenders in the JYs which side do you need?

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

I do see your PM now! Sorry I didn't reply sooner; I was a bit distracted that week. Response coming shortly.

IPD has the best price on the 302mm brackets that I'm aware of. Get Zimmermann rotors from FCP.

The hood alignment is easy to fix. Just loosen the bolts on the hinges and you can move it around as needed. I'll keep my eye out for black fenders in the JYs which side do you need?
      No worries, I appreciate it!

I'll definitely take a look at IPD. It might be a little bit down the road, but can't hurt to watch for sales.
      I'm going to check out the hood bolts for sure. I think the body shop that worked on the car did kind of a shoddy job.

The front driver's side fender is the one that's banged up. I have to remember to post pics (a business trip had me away for awhile), but a gent in a Nissan Pathfinder was so generous to cut around my dad at a stoplight while they were both making a right and run over the corner of the car.
      No witnesses, and the guy ran. The guy claimed we hit him, we claimed the reverse, so he got away clean. Total jerk.
      Last edited by dafuture 111; 09-06-2018 at 01:23 PM.

The front driver's side fender is the one that's banged up. I have to remember to post pics (a business trip had me away for awhile), but a gent in a Nissan Pathfinder was so generous to cut around my dad at a stoplight while they were both making a right and run over the corner of the car.
      No witnesses, and the guy ran. The cops claimed we hit him, we claimed the reverse, so he got away clean. Total jerk.
      Experiences like this make me want to invest in a dash cam more and more.

Experiences like this make me want to invest in a dash cam more and more.
      Worst part is I actually spent 3 hours and tracked the guy down. He had hidden the car in his driveway, but had a distinctive sticker on the window. If my dad hadn't had to go to work, we would've gotten the guy. It was a pretty terrible experience (as I'm sure you can tell, this car is my baby), but it only may my resolve to restore it even stronger.

To that effect, I took advantage of IPD's Labor Day sale and ordered a few odds and ends that needed fixing. The bushings are in there as well!

Worst part is I actually spent 3 hours and tracked the guy down. He had hidden the car in his driveway, but had a distinctive sticker on the window. If my dad hadn't had to go to work, we would've gotten the guy. It was a pretty terrible experience (as I'm sure you can tell, this car is my baby), but it only may my resolve to restore it even stronger.

To that effect, I took advantage of IPD's Labor Day sale and ordered a few odds and ends that needed fixing. The bushings are in there as well!
      Bummer. Well that's good to hear you love it enough to restore it as best you can. Now that you've got some parts you can start chipping away at the list. Now you can save up for the Black Friday sales all the sites will inevitably have.

P.S. - this thread is missing a proper pictoral introduction of your car. We have to see what you're working with so we can see where it all started.

Yeah we need pics!

What bushings did you get from IPD?

Bummer. Well that's good to hear you love it enough to restore it as best you can. Now that you've got some parts you can start chipping away at the list. Now you can save up for the Black Friday sales all the sites will inevitably have.

P.S. - this thread is missing a proper pictoral introduction of your car. We have to see what you're working with so we can see where it all started.
      Yeah we need pics!

What bushings did you get from IPD?
      Sorry about that! You're both right, I desperately need to grab some pictures. It's on my list for tomorrow, I'll even break out my good camera for it (as long as it doesn't rain).

I grabbed the subframe insert bushings, as I'm guessing mine are pretty shot. No idea how easy a task that is, but I guess I'll figure it out. I also have a new steering column u-joint that desperately needs to go in. I'm hoping that fixes the undiagnosed steering issues we've had for the last few years. My dad is more the "as long as it's driveable" type, so lots of neglected repairs.
      When I got the timing belt changed, it was 70k overdue!

I would recommend not using the subframe bushing inserts. They are not a substitute for Delrin bushings and make the original bushings very difficult to remove.

I'm in agreement w/ Jared on the inserts. They are more of a band-aid than an upgrade. If you can get your hands on the Delrin subframe bushings do so. An excellent upgrade.

You had mentioned that you need to replace engine mounts, so if you are able to do so drop the subframe out of the car altogether and pop the bushings out w/ a hammer and replace them w/ the Delrin ones. It's a good time to replace the engine mounts at the same time. Good time to do the sway bars too. Here you can see haow accessible everything is when it's out.

20180318_114053.jpg
      Last edited by DrewsT5; 09-10-2018 at 01:39 PM.

I would recommend not using the subframe bushing inserts. They are not a substitute for Delrin bushings and make the original bushings very difficult to remove.
      I'm in agreement w/ Jared on the inserts. They are more of a band-aid than an upgrade. If you can get your hands on the Delrin subframe bushings do so. An excellent upgrade.

You had mentioned that you need to replace engine mounts, so if you are able to do so drop the subframe out of the car altogether and pop the bushings out w/ a hammer and replace them w/ the Delrin ones. It's a good time to replace the engine mounts at the same time. Good time to do the sway bars too. Here you can see haow accessible everything is when it's out.
      That's my mistake then. I was under the impression the Delrin and IPD ones were the same. That's what you get for ordering at 1am.....
      I'm going to reach out to IPD and see if I can cancel. Can either of you point me towards a good set of Delrin ones?
      Dropping the subframe for that definitely looks like it would be easier. How hard is it to drop the subframe to begin with?

That being said, I do finally have pictures of the old girl! It's been raining quite a bit here lately, so they're not the best quality for seeing some of the scratches and things, but they give you an idea for now.
      The worst of the physical damage is the front fender/bumper, front lip, and the interior.

Yeah +1 on Drew's suggestion. But measure your sway bar before changing it to see what size you have. If you have 22mm you're set.

Yay for pictures! These are the subframe bushings you want https://www.bneshop.com/products/awd...frame-bushings

The subframe isn't terribly hard to remove.....engine support bar to hold up the engine/trans and then the subframe bolts and engine mounts. If the steering rack needs attention then drop that with the subframe too.

Yeah +1 on Drew's suggestion. But measure your sway bar before changing it to see what size you have. If you have 22mm you're set.
      Yay for pictures! These are the subframe bushings you want https://www.bneshop.com/products/awd...frame-bushings

The subframe isn't terribly hard to remove.....engine support bar to hold up the engine/trans and then the subframe bolts and engine mounts. If the steering rack needs attention then drop that with the subframe too.
      Awesome, thanks! Glad to hear the subframe isn't too difficult. I'm going to put in an order for those instead.
      Any thoughts on the sways as well? I looked at the IPD ones, but they were only sold as front and rear rather than individually. I'm still getting to know the Volvo performance sites haha

Awesome, thanks! Glad to hear the subframe isn't too difficult. I'm going to put in an order for those instead.
      Any thoughts on the sways as well? I looked at the IPD ones, but they were only sold as front and rear rather than individually. I'm still getting to know the Volvo performance sites haha
      You want the genuine Volvo 21.8mm rear sway bar. The IPD bar is kind of hacked together and a nightmare to install. And way more expensive.

Those are the same ones I got in mine and have been enjoying since. I was fortunate enough to find someone selling them brand new and saved a few bucks. As far as the sway bars, you'd likely have to buy the set, unless you get into the junkyard routine and stumble upon a set in the yard and just take the rear. It's not like you're doing your car a disservice by buying the full set. It's a different story if you are trying to autocross your car or take it up to the mountains or canyons regularly. Seeing that you're located on Long Island, I'm guessing not.

You want the genuine Volvo 21.8mm rear sway bar. The IPD bar is kind of hacked together and a nightmare to install. And way more expensive.
      Those are the same ones I got in mine and have been enjoying since. I was fortunate enough to find someone selling them brand new and saved a few bucks. As far as the sway bars, you'd likely have to buy the set, unless you get into the junkyard routine and stumble upon a set in the yard and just take the rear. It's not like you're doing your car a disservice by buying the full set. It's a different story if you are trying to autocross your car or take it up to the mountains or canyons regularly. Seeing that you're located on Long Island, I'm guessing not.
      Nope, definitely no autocross or anything like that. More than anything I'd just like to make some incremental upgrades since a lot of these parts need to be replaced anyway.
      Would you guys happen to know which model the 21.8mm rear is from? I'm finding some mixed info thus far, so I'm trying to track down part numbers.
      Unfortunately we don't have pick n pulls on LI, so eBay/forums are my go-to.

That sway bar came in the FWD V70R.

That sway bar came in the FWD V70R.
      So a Euro only model, does that mean it needs to be order from overseas?

Dafuture - IPD will sell just the rear bar if you email or call them. I wouldn't say it's hacked together, my 25mm bar is nicely welded.
      1996 854R | M56H | 16T | 268k

Quote Originally Posted by sventastic View Post

Dafuture - IPD will sell just the rear bar if you email or call them. I wouldn't say it's hacked together, my 25mm bar is nicely welded.
      If you ever have the Volvo 21.8mm and IPD 22mm rear bars side by side you'll notice a dramatic difference in quality. The IPD bar is also nearly twice as heavy!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we got the V70R in FWD for the 1998-2000 model years. I think you're thinking of the 2004-2007 models that were AWD. Good to know about IPD splitting the parts though.

If you ever have the Volvo 21.8mm and IPD 22mm rear bars side by side you'll notice a dramatic difference in quality. The IPD bar is also nearly twice as heavy!!!!
      I tend to like OEM anyway, less issues with fit all around. Looks like I'm going to be doing some hunting!
      Last edited by dafuture 111; 09-11-2018 at 08:56 PM.

The FWD V70R never came to US/CDN market. MY97-98 only and only in the ECE market.

The FWD V70R never came to US/CDN market. MY97-98 only and only in the ECE market.
      Huh, guess I remembered wrong. It's been awhile since I've looked for first gen V70Rs haha.
      Thanks for the info!

Interesting... I guess all I can say is mine has been on my car over a year and it is definitely still intact haha. Yes it's heavy but so is the whole car An extra 6-10lbs is pretty inconsequential compared to the handling benefits, it even lowers the COG

So how do you get the 21.8mm bar stateside?
      Last edited by sventastic; 09-12-2018 at 01:49 AM.
      1996 854R | M56H | 16T | 268k

Interesting... I guess all I can say is mine has been on my car over a year and it is definitely still intact haha. Yes it's heavy but so is the whole car An extra 6-10lbs is pretty inconsequential compared to the handling benefits, it even lowers the COG

So how do you get the 21.8mm bar stateside?
      Lol I'm not saying the IPD bar is going to break it's just not elegantly put together like the Volvo bar. And it's harder to install because of the shape and weight. 4 lbs on its own isn't that big but if we doubled the weight of everything we would have a problem

You get the 21.8mm bar by ordering it at the dealer.

You get the 21.8mm bar by ordering it at the dealer.
      Great, now I know it'll be cheap!!! Lol

I'll give my local dealer a call this week. Hopefully they have the part number in their system somewhere.

I'll give my local dealer a call this week. Hopefully they have the part number in their system somewhere.
      Oh yeah it'll definitely be cheaper than the IPaidDouble bar.

The dealer will not know what it is but they will be able to order it. I paid $180.10 after tax for mine from Volvo with VCOA discount.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 206k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 299k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 243k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 218k - Sisters

Oh yeah it'll definitely be cheaper than the IPaidDouble bar.
      LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post

The dealer will not know what it is but they will be able to order it. I paid $180.10 after tax for mine from Volvo with VCOA discount.
      Awesome, thanks! I didn't even know there was a VCOA discount, I'll have to look into that as well.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast