What did you do to your C70 today? - Page 10
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
      I had to replace the reservoir on the t5 for the cooling system. There must have been a air bubble because it kept burping coolant and I thought I had done it right. It is the daily driver so I was concerned. Keeping this original.

I took the t5 into my mechanic (Swedeworks) and they ran a compression check and ran the car. Reset the ECU and found nothing. No codes. It also sat over night with no leaks after an hour driving there with traffic. Ran all day, still no leaks.

Well $55 later, peace of mind I now can drive on the weekend with no worries. Man this car is really growing on me. I still miss my VR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      05 VR GT Titanium Grey/Nordakp, sunroof, Winter Package, Premium sound with Volvo Sub. VST rear brace, Ultra Racing front strut brace. iPD Sways and other little upgrades they have. EST DP with Touring Exhaust.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

21 Months and 20,000 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2013 C70 Platinum Plus. Polestar Tune. GoVo ECU Spacer. Mods4Cars Smart Top Module, Black Ember Metallic, Midir 18”. Bought 1/2018/13,800 mi.
      2004 XC70 (2008-2018 - 189,000mi.)

Like some sort of error message in reverse
      Current: 2020 XC40 T5 Glacier Silver '13 C70 Caspian Blue
      Previous Volvos[/I]: '11 C70 Ice White;
      Polestar ,'10 XC60 T6 Electric Silver; '08 C70, '07 XC70, '04 V70', '04 C70, '01 S40, '80 242 GT '72 145

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rj240 View Post
      Oh boy...

Let me try to clairify.

The new control arms were make as a service part in order to try to fix the excessive rear camber issue, as there is no camber adjustment.

I personally feel that the factory specs are a little lax, so even at the limit of being within specs, I find that you have too much negative camber, effectively destroying the inside of the rear tires.

The factory spec for rear camber is -1.72 degrees, with an acceptable + or - of 1 degrees. That means that your rear camber could at -2.71 degrees, and you are still within spec!

The service control arm has a bushing offset of 2.5mm versus the original part, effectively removing 0.7 degrees of negative camber. In most cases this resolved the tire wear issue.

The newer cars never got this service part, but they had a new rear suspension crossmember introduced in production week 14 of 2012, where the attachement points for the upper control arms were moved outwards 1mm, thereby reducing the negative camber angle by 0.3 degrees.

So, basically that means that the 2013 models have 0.3 less negative camber in the rear that the previous models, but the service control arms can still be added to get another 0.7 degrees of correction.

So Dealer 1 is partially right in what he is saying, but he is wrong.

Dealer 2 is right by saying it was a Technical service bulletin, saying if there was excessive wear that the new parts would correct it, however he is partially wrong when he says that it is not a warranty item. Under factory warranty the repair would have been covered if the tire wear complaint was there, but in theory the control arm was not defective. it was a bulletin with a solution to an issue. Now that the car is under CPO, the control arm is only covered if there is a problem with the actual part.

There are cases where you may be able to get Volvo Goodwill to cover the arms if you say that you the tire wear is a known issue, and that your car has this exact issue. I would have been covered under the factory warranty, but now under CPO it's not? If you stumble upon the right person, and they feel particularly generous that day, they may be able to possible help you out...
      WELL.. I finally got a bit of relief from Volvo! I knew they wouldn't go for the adjustable arms that rj suggests, but we agreed to a 3 way split (Volvo-Dealer-Me) on the Volvo replacement arms. My cost was $200. It may cost me an early wear out on this new set of tires, but it sounds like many folks have corrected the issue with the new control arms.

I also asked for replacement of the rubber trim around the passenger window.. HA! They quickly declared that trim, belts, etc., aren't covered by the CPO warranty. The quote for new trim is $547.20!! I guess its gonna be a new project for me.

And finally.. I settled on BFG Gforce COMP 2 AS tires from Costco. Purportedly a tread design from the BFG parent company, Michelin. The Volvo guys suggest that I get a bit of hum because the tread pattern is rather aggressive (pretty good in rainy Seattle).
      2013 C70 Platinum Plus. Polestar Tune. GoVo ECU Spacer. Mods4Cars Smart Top Module, Black Ember Metallic, Midir 18”. Bought 1/2018/13,800 mi.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorWatcher View Post
      WELL.. I finally got a bit of relief from Volvo! I knew they wouldn't go for the adjustable arms that rj suggests, but we agreed to a 3 way split (Volvo-Dealer-Me) on the Volvo replacement arms. My cost was $200. It may cost me an early wear out on this new set of tires, but it sounds like many folks have corrected the issue with the new control arms.

I also asked for replacement of the rubber trim around the passenger window.. HA! They quickly declared that trim, belts, etc., aren't covered by the CPO warranty. The quote for new trim is $547.20!! I guess its gonna be a new project for me.

And finally.. I settled on BFG Gforce COMP 2 AS tires from Costco. Purportedly a tread design from the BFG parent company, Michelin. The Volvo guys suggest that I get a bit of hum because the tread pattern is rather aggressive (pretty good in rainy Seattle).
      That's cool, at least you got some goodwill from Volvo!
      2012 C70 T5 A - Polestar Tune, Elevate downpipe, VIVA Performance exhaust, JR filter, GoVo ECU spacer, 19"x8.5" Polestar Rep wheels, H&R spacers, Volvo OEM lip spoiler, Heico front spoiler lips
      2019 V60 Cross Country T5 AWD - Premium pkg, Climate pkg, Vision pkg, Conv. pkg, Harmon Kardon, 20" wheels, Polestar tune - sold
      2018 V60 Cross Country T5 AWD Premier - Premier Plus pkg, Climate pkg, Technology pkg, BLIS plg, 19" BOR wheels - sold
      2018 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription - Vision pkg, Climate pkg, Convenience pkg - Sold
      2017 V60 T6 AWD Drive-E - Premier pkg, Climate pkg, Tech pkg, Conv pkg, Sport suspension, 19" Portia wheels, Polestar Tune - Sold
      2005 V50 T5 M AWD - Passion Red/Graphite T-tec, sport pkg, Volvo body kit - Sold
      1998 S70 T5 M - Black/Graphite, 239whp/317wtq on old setup, List of mods RIP

Your Canadian source for Original Volvo Parts and Accessories! - Parts.VolvoPointeClaire.com

That “aggressive” tread pattern on the BFGs may well have saved my a$$ tonight. Bizarre rain storm in Seattle. Cruising down the freeway around 50mph.. slower because of rain, and hit a stretch of 1-3 foot deep water. Maybe 5+ seconds with ZERO visibility. No hydroplaning though. I thought it would stall out before I made it through, but tires stayed in contact with the road. Popped out of the “pond” and all was well. STARTLING.

That “aggressive” tread pattern on the BFGs may well have saved my a$$ tonight. Bizarre rain storm in Seattle. Cruising down the freeway around 50mph.. slower because of rain, and hit a stretch of 1-3 foot deep water. Maybe 5+ seconds with ZERO visibility. No hydroplaning though. I thought it would stall out before I made it through, but tires stayed in contact with the road. Popped out of the “pond” and all was well. STARTLING.

That will get your attention in a HURRY! We had 3-inch per hour downpours earlier this week and folks who don't know about the way Texas roads are built to channel floodwaters around here get a lesson right zippy!!! Glad you're OK!!! It is amazing to think that many roads are essentially bathtubs that don't drain all that quickly! I remember one nearby overpass that has these tiny little drain holes that can't even come close to handling a normal rain, never mind a gully washer like we get from time to time! That water has to go SOMEwhere!
      Polestar ,'10 XC60 T6 Electric Silver; '08 C70, '07 XC70, '04 V70', '04 C70, '01 S40, '80 242 GT '72 145

Lightbulb Winterizing today

I switched out my Summer wipers for Winter ones on my C70 & S40. Some folks do tires, I do wipers. Here on the West Coast the sun in the summer plays havoc on the blades. Using Bosch Icons OEM- no squeak across windshield like the Volvo ones do and they fit perfectly.
      2011 S40 T5 Polestar-Barents-Convector Wheels/BLIS/R Type Spoiler
      2011- C70-T5 - Polestar--Electric Silver-Loaded- except Blis

1987- Vanagon Westy Camper

replaced conti ec sports @ approx 18k miles with new set of 235/40/18 hankook ventus evo as rains starting to come.... probably could have gotten 2-4k miles more but like to be on the safe side. the conti ec sports were great performing tires - great grip, handling, quiet, etc. durability about as expected for summer tires.
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak • 18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Stage 1 Tune • GoVo ECU Spacer • Ford e-Focus Mount • Bilstein B8 • H&R Springs • Elevate Rear Swaybar • Volvo Strut Bar • Massive Camber Arms • Centric Rotors • Akebono Pads • Hankook Ventus Evo2 235/40/18 • Mods4cars SmartTop • Llumar/Madico Tint • E46 Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 • LED Int/Ext/Halos • Fryalip • Custom Leather Steering Wheel Wrap • CocoMats Black Sisal • IPD Skidplate • Fumoto F104N Valve

Quote Originally Posted by gotart View Post
      I switched out my Summer wipers for Winter ones on my C70 & S40. Some folks do tires, I do wipers. Here on the West Coast the sun in the summer plays havoc on the blades. Using Bosch Icons OEM- no squeak across windshield like the Volvo ones do and they fit perfectly.
      Costco is selling Michelin wipers, and I've switched to them for both cars. I bought Goodyears there previously and they didn't last very long. Hopefully these are better.

Our winters are typically pretty mild in Seattle, so I didn't switch out to a different tire last year. Forecast is heavier this year, so we'll see if I need to. Recently got BFG All Seasons for it after the Contis gave up at +/- 30,000. May just use our '99 Passat if it gets dicey for the C70.

I washed and conditioned the rubber while it was 60+out.

05 VR GT Titanium Grey/Nordakp, sunroof, Winter Package, Premium sound with Volvo Sub. VST rear brace, Ultra Racing front strut brace. iPD Sways and other little upgrades they have. EST DP with Touring Exhaust.

I was going to do that too, but was having too much fun driving it
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

Quote Originally Posted by HunterBD View Post
      I washed and conditioned the rubber while it was 60+out.

We will be in the upper 70s mid-week; but rainy each day...dang. No wonder My Darling asked if I wanted the convertible tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by coachrick View Post
      We will be in the upper 70s mid-week; but rainy each day...dang. No wonder My Darling asked if I wanted the convertible tomorrow
      Well that bites. Maybe you’ll get lucky and the weatherman is wrong.
      LOL

Well that bites. Maybe you’ll get lucky and the weatherman is wrong.
      LOL

We actually blew away the high temp record held for the last 80 years!!! We reached 80 sultry degrees yesterday; but we were cool and damp today

Jealous as we got 30 degrees and snow yesterday. The one drawback with this car is when it freezes on the windows and you have to open the door the window won’t go down unless you clean the molding and separate from the glass.

Hit this while coming back from the store.

Jealous as we got 30 degrees and snow yesterday. The one drawback with this car is when it freezes on the windows and you have to open the door the window won’t go down unless you clean the molding and separate from the glass.

Same here. 6" of snow.

People probably thinks I'm breaking into someone's car in the winter. I always have to run a credit card down the window seal before opening the door.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
      11 C70 T5
      06 XC90 2.5T (SOLD)
      00 C70 CONVERTIBLE (SOLD)
      70 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE

Quote Originally Posted by RapidRabbit View Post
      Same here. 6" of snow.

People probably thinks I'm breaking into someone's car in the winter. I always have to run a credit card down the window seal before opening the door.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
      Fortunately, our C70s(four since 2004) have never seen that kind of weather.

Last Sunday I was top down enjoying 72º blue skies, after a full wash and wax the day before. Today we woke up to about 5-6". Regardless, we went out and got yet another chance to try out my new Blizzaks - after our third or fourth snow event so far this season, I am very pleased. They hum a bit more than my old Hankook winter icepts, but the snow and ice performance is worth it.
      regtor
      2011 C70 T5 polestar | electric silver metallic/cranberry
      dynamic, multimedia, climate & convenience packages
      blis, sport pedals, oem front strut bar, elevate rear sway bar, mods4cars smart top, volvotech vbb4 rear camera

went from this

to this last week.
      brand new Sport steeringwheel and changed the gauge faces for Sport\ R Design type

Very nice work Kodja. I looked at my dash and now want to do that to the gauges. So much easier to read.

looks amazing, including the sport steering wheel. the silver inlay complements the waterfall nicely

Shark Stage 1 Tune • GoVo ECU Spacer • Ford e-Focus Mount • Bilstein B8 • H&R Springs • Elevate Rear Swaybar • Volvo Strut Bar • Massive Camber Arms • Centric Rotors • Akebono Pads • Hankook Ventus Evo2 235/40/18 • Mods4cars SmartTop • Llumar/Madico Tint • E46 Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 • LED Int/Ext/Halos • Fryalip • Custom Leather Steering Wheel Wrap • CocoMats Black Sisal • IPD Skidplate • Fumoto F104N Valve

My son and I replaced the shifter blind on the automatic shifter. The old one was all disintegrated which meant the car could not be driven in the semi-manual mode, only automatic. Lots of parts to disassemble, bit finicky but we managed in the end with the help of a very good youtube video.

Today was the perfect day for an oil change with Mobil1 0W-40. This is the best oil for our 5 cylinders. IMO.
      Next I replaced the rear shocks from FCPEuro. Three bolts and she’s done.

What did you do to your C70 today?

I picked up a couple 2x8x10 for a project. Strapped in with the seat belt.

FINALLY.. The GoVo ECU Spacer is installed. I struggled with it a few times and finally decided I needed some help. My mobile mechanic was here to do some work on our ‘99 Passat, and he popped the thing on my car in 15 minutes! I’m just not as capable or equipped as in the past. For Seattle area folks, this guy seems to know his stuff about a variety of vehicles. PM me for contact info if you need some work done. BTW: Throttle response is definitely improved!

FINALLY.. The GoVo ECU Spacer is installed. ..he popped the thing on my car in 15 minutes!
      I still need to install mine from Tomcat; had similar struggles as you on my first attempt. Did your guy by chance give you any hints as to what you might have been doing wrong?

BD
      Current Fleet:
      1998 S70 Base (New project), 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, 2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P*

RIP:
      1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60 2.5T FWD

Quote Originally Posted by 88domer View Post
      Did your guy by chance give you any hints as to what you might have been doing wrong?

BD
      He mentioned using his own flexible wrench rather than the small tight space one I gave him. He pulled the air box, noticed that he needed longer bolts, which I had from the kit. They are 12mm as opposed to the standard torx that were installed. We talked about how some people have mentioned needing to trim the plastic on the box to refit it. I walked away to clean the cat box and when I got back he was done! I really was surprised, since I struggled with the thing on 2 different attempts. He’s coming over to clean up some curb rash on my Midirs. I’ll ask him if there’s a trick.

CORRECTION: Only the COVER of the ECU was removed, not the air box.

that annoying whistle is back, the tell-tale sign of the diaphragm in the PCV/oil filter case going out again. at 112k miles, this will be the 3rd time, so it's definitely a regular maintenance item. not a great design given it's a pricey service.

Thumbs down Annoying Oil Change

Changed the oil and filter - what a pain in the butt.
      I have been changing oil in cars for over 50 years.
      This car is by far the most annoying and laborious procedure.
      Between the engine splash shield removal and removal of the air intake snout it is really outrageous. Why would Volvo not use spin on filters- backward and idiotic. Why is there almost 8 oz of oil in the bottom of the oil filter reservoir, why I ask. A mechanic wouldn’t care and all of that old oil gets mixed with the new -hello- you are changing the oil not adding dirty oil to new oil.
      I had to use a 3rd jack just to hold up the splash shield to position it to screw it on.
      Pretty stupid design- if you ask me.
      Or did then not want DIY people doing it and standing up changing the oil is a cinch.
      Don’t get me wrong, I really like this car and especially in this annoying situation the world is in now I can carry 4 people in the open air!

Well it doesn't say Volvo anymore!Attachment 63319IMG_0179.JPG

What the hell is it? (old Bill Murray/Steve Martin routine)

Quote Originally Posted by wcoates View Post
      Well it doesn't say Volvo anymore!Attachment 63319IMG_0179.JPG
      Good Job!
      I have a friend who takes off every and any brand names from everything he owns. And never buys any article of clothing that has a logo or brand name.

Quote Originally Posted by jschinito View Post
      that annoying whistle is back, the tell-tale sign of the diaphragm in the PCV/oil filter case going out again. at 112k miles, this will be the 3rd time, so it's definitely a regular maintenance item. not a great design given it's a pricey service.
      I had that a couple of years ago(only 12k miles back)...not looking forward to doing it(paying) again!
      Got a busted boot that needs replacement(CV)...do we wait for the other to fail or replace both ?
      Indie Volvo specialist wants to flush and fill the trans [email protected] 72k miles/7 years...should I do that?

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast