What did you do to your C70 today? - Page 10
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
      I had to replace the reservoir on the t5 for the cooling system. There must have been a air bubble because it kept burping coolant and I thought I had done it right. It is the daily driver so I was concerned. Keeping this original.

I took the t5 into my mechanic (Swedeworks) and they ran a compression check and ran the car. Reset the ECU and found nothing. No codes. It also sat over night with no leaks after an hour driving there with traffic. Ran all day, still no leaks.

Well $55 later, peace of mind I now can drive on the weekend with no worries. Man this car is really growing on me. I still miss my VR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      05 VR GT Titanium Grey/Nordakp, sunroof, Winter Package, Premium sound with Volvo Sub. VST rear brace, Ultra Racing front strut brace.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

21 Months and 20,000 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2013 C70 Platinum Plus. Polestar Tune. Mods4Cars Smart Top Module, Black Ember Metallic, Midir 18”. Bought 1/2018/13,800 mi.
      2004 XC70 (2008-2018 - 189,000mi.)SOLD

Like some sort of error message in reverse
      Current: '13 C70 Caspian Blue 2017 FIAT 500L Lounge Bianco...until Volvo brings the XC40 to the States!!!(AND the oil and gas business gets better!!!)
      Previous Volvos[/I]: '11 C70 Ice White;
      Polestar ,'10 XC60 T6 Electric Silver; '08 C70, '07 XC70, '04 V70', '04 C70, '01 S40, '80 242 GT '72 145

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rj240 View Post
      Oh boy...

Let me try to clairify.

The new control arms were make as a service part in order to try to fix the excessive rear camber issue, as there is no camber adjustment.

I personally feel that the factory specs are a little lax, so even at the limit of being within specs, I find that you have too much negative camber, effectively destroying the inside of the rear tires.

The factory spec for rear camber is -1.72 degrees, with an acceptable + or - of 1 degrees. That means that your rear camber could at -2.71 degrees, and you are still within spec!

The service control arm has a bushing offset of 2.5mm versus the original part, effectively removing 0.7 degrees of negative camber. In most cases this resolved the tire wear issue.

The newer cars never got this service part, but they had a new rear suspension crossmember introduced in production week 14 of 2012, where the attachement points for the upper control arms were moved outwards 1mm, thereby reducing the negative camber angle by 0.3 degrees.

So, basically that means that the 2013 models have 0.3 less negative camber in the rear that the previous models, but the service control arms can still be added to get another 0.7 degrees of correction.

So Dealer 1 is partially right in what he is saying, but he is wrong.

Dealer 2 is right by saying it was a Technical service bulletin, saying if there was excessive wear that the new parts would correct it, however he is partially wrong when he says that it is not a warranty item. Under factory warranty the repair would have been covered if the tire wear complaint was there, but in theory the control arm was not defective. it was a bulletin with a solution to an issue. Now that the car is under CPO, the control arm is only covered if there is a problem with the actual part.

There are cases where you may be able to get Volvo Goodwill to cover the arms if you say that you the tire wear is a known issue, and that your car has this exact issue. I would have been covered under the factory warranty, but now under CPO it's not? If you stumble upon the right person, and they feel particularly generous that day, they may be able to possible help you out...
      WELL.. I finally got a bit of relief from Volvo! I knew they wouldn't go for the adjustable arms that rj suggests, but we agreed to a 3 way split (Volvo-Dealer-Me) on the Volvo replacement arms. My cost was $200. It may cost me an early wear out on this new set of tires, but it sounds like many folks have corrected the issue with the new control arms.

I also asked for replacement of the rubber trim around the passenger window.. HA! They quickly declared that trim, belts, etc., aren't covered by the CPO warranty. The quote for new trim is $547.20!! I guess its gonna be a new project for me.

And finally.. I settled on BFG Gforce COMP 2 AS tires from Costco. Purportedly a tread design from the BFG parent company, Michelin. The Volvo guys suggest that I get a bit of hum because the tread pattern is rather aggressive (pretty good in rainy Seattle).
      2013 C70 Platinum Plus. Polestar Tune. Mods4Cars Smart Top Module, Black Ember Metallic, Midir 18”. Bought 1/2018/13,800 mi.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorWatcher View Post
      WELL.. I finally got a bit of relief from Volvo! I knew they wouldn't go for the adjustable arms that rj suggests, but we agreed to a 3 way split (Volvo-Dealer-Me) on the Volvo replacement arms. My cost was $200. It may cost me an early wear out on this new set of tires, but it sounds like many folks have corrected the issue with the new control arms.

I also asked for replacement of the rubber trim around the passenger window.. HA! They quickly declared that trim, belts, etc., aren't covered by the CPO warranty. The quote for new trim is $547.20!! I guess its gonna be a new project for me.

And finally.. I settled on BFG Gforce COMP 2 AS tires from Costco. Purportedly a tread design from the BFG parent company, Michelin. The Volvo guys suggest that I get a bit of hum because the tread pattern is rather aggressive (pretty good in rainy Seattle).
      That's cool, at least you got some goodwill from Volvo!
      2019 V60 Cross Country T5 AWD - Premium pkg, Climate pkg, Vision pkg, Conv. pkg, Harmon Kardon, 20" wheels, Polestar tune
      2012 C70 T5 A - Polestar Tune, Elevate downpipe, VIVA Performance exhaust, JR filter, GoVo ECU spacer, 19"x8.5" Polestar Rep wheels, H&R spacers, Volvo OEM lip spoiler, Heico front spoiler lips
      2018 V60 Cross Country T5 AWD Premier - Premier Plus pkg, Climate pkg, Technology pkg, BLIS plg, 19" BOR wheels - sold
      2018 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription - Vision pkg, Climate pkg, Convenience pkg - Sold
      2017 V60 T6 AWD Drive-E - Premier pkg, Climate pkg, Tech pkg, Conv pkg, Sport suspension, 19" Portia wheels, Polestar Tune - Sold
      2005 V50 T5 M AWD - Passion Red/Graphite T-tec, sport pkg, Volvo body kit - Sold
      1998 S70 T5 M - Black/Graphite, 239whp/317wtq on old setup, List of mods RIP

Your Canadian source for Original Volvo Parts and Accessories! - Parts.VolvoPointeClaire.com

That “aggressive” tread pattern on the BFGs may well have saved my a$$ tonight. Bizarre rain storm in Seattle. Cruising down the freeway around 50mph.. slower because of rain, and hit a stretch of 1-3 foot deep water. Maybe 5+ seconds with ZERO visibility. No hydroplaning though. I thought it would stall out before I made it through, but tires stayed in contact with the road. Popped out of the “pond” and all was well. STARTLING.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorWatcher View Post
      That “aggressive” tread pattern on the BFGs may well have saved my a$$ tonight. Bizarre rain storm in Seattle. Cruising down the freeway around 50mph.. slower because of rain, and hit a stretch of 1-3 foot deep water. Maybe 5+ seconds with ZERO visibility. No hydroplaning though. I thought it would stall out before I made it through, but tires stayed in contact with the road. Popped out of the “pond” and all was well. STARTLING.

That will get your attention in a HURRY! We had 3-inch per hour downpours earlier this week and folks who don't know about the way Texas roads are built to channel floodwaters around here get a lesson right zippy!!! Glad you're OK!!! It is amazing to think that many roads are essentially bathtubs that don't drain all that quickly! I remember one nearby overpass that has these tiny little drain holes that can't even come close to handling a normal rain, never mind a gully washer like we get from time to time! That water has to go SOMEwhere!
      Current: '13 C70 Caspian Blue 2017 FIAT 500L Lounge Bianco...until Volvo brings the XC40 to the States!!!(AND the oil and gas business gets better!!!)
      Previous Volvos[/I]: '11 C70 Ice White;
      Polestar ,'10 XC60 T6 Electric Silver; '08 C70, '07 XC70, '04 V70', '04 C70, '01 S40, '80 242 GT '72 145

Lightbulb Winterizing today

I switched out my Summer wipers for Winter ones on my C70 & S40. Some folks do tires, I do wipers. Here on the West Coast the sun in the summer plays havoc on the blades. Using Bosch Icons OEM- no squeak across windshield like the Volvo ones do and they fit perfectly.
      2011 S40 T5 Polestar-Barents-Convector Wheels/BLIS/R Type Spoiler
      2011- C70-T5 - Polestar--Electric Silver-Loaded- except Blis

1987- Vanagon Westy Camper

replaced conti ec sports @ approx 18k miles with new set of 235/40/18 hankook ventus evo as rains starting to come.... probably could have gotten 2-4k miles more but like to be on the safe side. the conti ec sports were great performing tires - great grip, handling, quiet, etc. durability about as expected for summer tires.
      2008 C70 GT - Black/Black/Nordic Oak • 18x8 Black Midirs
      Shark Stage 1 Tune • GoVo ECU Spacer • Ford e-Focus Mount • Bilstein B8 • H&R Springs • Elevate Rear Swaybar • Volvo Strut Bar • Massive Camber Arms • Centric Rotors • Akebono Pads • Hankook Ventus Evo2 235/40/18 • Mods4cars SmartTop • Llumar/Madico Tint • E46 Bi-Xenon HID Retrofit w/ZKW-R Lens Morimoto XB35 • LED Int/Ext/Halos • Fryalip • Custom Leather Steering Wheel Wrap • CocoMats Black Sisal • IPD Skidplate • Fumoto F104N Valve

Quote Originally Posted by gotart View Post
      I switched out my Summer wipers for Winter ones on my C70 & S40. Some folks do tires, I do wipers. Here on the West Coast the sun in the summer plays havoc on the blades. Using Bosch Icons OEM- no squeak across windshield like the Volvo ones do and they fit perfectly.
      Costco is selling Michelin wipers, and I've switched to them for both cars. I bought Goodyears there previously and they didn't last very long. Hopefully these are better.

Our winters are typically pretty mild in Seattle, so I didn't switch out to a different tire last year. Forecast is heavier this year, so we'll see if I need to. Recently got BFG All Seasons for it after the Contis gave up at +/- 30,000. May just use our '99 Passat if it gets dicey for the C70.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10