Pilot Assist 3 - IntelliSafe Update
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Exclamation Pilot Assist 3 - IntelliSafe Update

Hi Everyone!

I have just stumbled upon this official Volvo link stating there is an update available to update Pilot Assist to generation 3 with better steering performance. Do you think previous (2017, 2018) XC90s will get it? Did you notice improved cornering on the latest software versions?

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-513143/2019

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I bet it does... Iím going to ask my local dealership if the upgrade is available for MY18 XC90

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will MY16 XC90 qualify? Because I see that this upgrade comes with a lot of does not apply to this and that.

For starters, mine came with Pilor Assist 1, which limited us to certain speeds and we needed a leading car for it to work. I later upgraded to P2, which did away with all those limitations. Would I now be able to upgrade to P3?

I'm unsure because exclusions are confusing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

It says "Does not work for customers who have IntelliSafe Assist and Sensus Navigation fitted directly from the factory."

Does that mean that most of us won't be able to upgrade because ours came with Sensus Navigation from factory?

2018 XC90 T6 AWD Osmium Gray/Amber

Quote Originally Posted by frontgear View Post
      It says "Does not work for customers who have IntelliSafe Assist and Sensus Navigation fitted directly from the factory."

Does that mean that most of us won't be able to upgrade because ours came with Sensus Navigation from factory?

Exactly!

Yet at the top, they also say it's for those who already have prior versions of PA.

This then means:
      1. The exclusion at the bottom overrides and qualifies the top inclusion
      2. Those that don't have it at all, can't jump straight from having nothing to retrofitting P3. They must first install the old PA1/2 then upgrade again to PA3. Otherwise, how else would PA3 work if there was nothing before?

Volvo must just come in and clarify their confusing messaging

Last edited by Seti; 09-06-2018 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Add pictuew
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnc View Post
      I bet it does... Iím going to ask my local dealership if the upgrade is available for MY18 XC90

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Could you please ask about us also, who had PA1 from the factory, then upgraded it to PA2, if we too could have PA3?

Thanks

------

The link was to a V60 accessory and I donít see it listed under XC90 for any SPA model year, at least not yet. Itís probable that the V60 has newer/different HW making it uniquely suited for PA3 and that XC90 wouldnít yet or SW/FW hasnít been produced to retroactively update XC90 to PA3.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      Could you please ask about us also, who had PA1 from the factory, then upgraded it to PA2, if we too could have PA3?

Thanks

For sure - it will be cool to be able to get PA3 with augmented assist via Nav... actually whatís interesting is with the latest update I received over the summer Iíve noticed PA2 seems to have some intelligence in how it takes turns by slowing down through curves then accelerating out. I was surprised by that enhancement but definitely welcome. Itís much like the Porsche Apex Assist (forgot what they call theirs), although Porscheís is more about helping to make the ďpilotĒ better.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

sounds like it is just an update for all the people whining that PA2 was "dangerous" on curves.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

The page says v60, but the picture shows XC90. I am willing to pay for hardware to get the upgrade to the next level. Hope the cost is not too much.

Quote Originally Posted by yluong View Post
      The page says v60, but the picture shows XC90. I am willing to pay for hardware to get the upgrade to the next level. Hope the cost is not too much.
      The picture is generic to show the functionality of IntelliSafe...

If you check through most of the vehicles (XC90/60, S90, V90, V60CC), it's only showing up for the V60. And it's also noted with an "Excl. AM," which I believe means America, so, not available here anyway.
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription (*LEMON - RETURNED TO VOLVO 2019-02-04 - THREAD OF FINAL 5 MONTHS*) (Crystal White + Amber, Packages: Vision, Convenience, Climate w/HUD, Leather Panel, Bowers and Wilkins, 4 Corner Air, 21" 8-Spoke)
      And, the BUY BACK or LEMON LAW Process - Information You Need to Know

Quote Originally Posted by mjpc View Post
      The picture is generic to show the functionality of IntelliSafe...

If you check through most of the vehicles (XC90/60, S90, V90, V60CC), it's only showing up for the V60. And it's also noted with an "Excl. AM," which I believe means America, so, not available here anyway.
      I donít think AM is ďAmericaĒ - when there are market exclusions for US, they usually list it as ďUSĒ and ďCAĒ is separate which I expect references Canada. That being said I was puzzled by what AM could be and from prior observations doubt itís for America. Looking it up, itís likely to be Armenia which seems like such an odd exclusion for a mass market option. Then again you look at other features, like ďIntelliSafe AssistĒ which we know is available in US and CA, itís also listed with exclusion for (certain MY, like 2016) AM, and a few other countries:

IntelliSafe Assist (Excl. AM, AR, IN, PE)

https://www.countrycode.org
      Last edited by VolvoUhu; 09-06-2018 at 11:21 AM.
      --

Excluding certain poor countries. Those places have a high number of roads with improper or simply any road markings that the software needs to use.
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

I don't understand this:
      Note!

This is only an upgrade of IntelliSafe Assist. The offer applies only for customers who already have IntelliSafe Assist and Sensus Navigation as retrofitted accessories

Does not work for customers who have IntelliSafe Assist and Sensus Navigation fitted directly from the factory.
      So those who got their V60 delivered with PA2 couldn't get this upgrade? And those didn't get PA2 as delivered but paid for retrofit later could get upgraded? Make no sense to me. Is it because they paid more money for the PA2 accessory than factory ordered?

Or do they actually mean, new factory ordered PA2 will come with this upgrade already so this accessory item doesn't apply to new cars? The wording is really weird if this is true.

And this for V60 only, but we can always hope for dripping down to older models, just like PA2 came in S90 first and then all XC90's.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 09-06-2018 at 02:18 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      Excluding certain poor countries. Those places have a high number of roads with improper or simply any road markings that the software needs to use.
      Like Oklahoma?

I welcome the nav data to be used by PA. However this is one weak point too. If Sensus reboots or GPS signal is lost when the car is in a curve, will PA lose track of the curve? En... It is pity better curve detection can't be done by the MobileyesQ3 camera.

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoUhu View Post
      For sure - it will be cool to be able to get PA3 with augmented assist via Nav... actually whatís interesting is with the latest update I received over the summer Iíve noticed PA2 seems to have some intelligence in how it takes turns by slowing down through curves then accelerating out. I was surprised by that enhancement but definitely welcome. Itís much like the Porsche Apex Assist (forgot what they call theirs), although Porscheís is more about helping to make the ďpilotĒ better.
      Can we get more confirmation on this? This is really useful on curves.

Quote Originally Posted by VxF View Post
      Like Oklahoma?
      Oklahoma isn't a country, but nice try there bucko.
      2006 Passion Red S60R

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      I welcome the nav data to be used by PA. However this is one weak point too. If Sensus reboots or GPS signal is lost when the car is in a curve, will PA lose track of the curve? En... It is pity better curve detection can't be done by the MobileyesQ3 camera.
      No, the GPS data is used to assist the cameras, not replace them. If the GPS signal is lost, it will act as it does today.

Are 19's already coming with PA3?
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

From Volvo US web site. Looks like an upgrade at speed good for 120 mph (was 80, I believe). Also, looks at navigation to guide Intellisafe.

Adaptive Cruise Control adapts the speed to help you maintain a safe distance to slower vehicles. Just select desired speed and time gap to the vehicle in front, and enjoy smooth driving from standstill up to 200 km/h. At speeds over 70 km/h, Adaptive Cruise Control also supports overtaking by briefly accelerating your car towards the vehicle in front when you turn the indicator on. It adapts to the ECO and Dynamic drive modes, which helps you save fuel or enjoy a more dynamic driving experience. For an even smoother drive, Adaptive Cruise Control also adapts to ascents and descents ahead if your Volvo is equipped with Sensus Navigation. Adaptive Cruise Control is part of IntelliSafe Assist. Please note: The driver is always responsible for how the car is controlled, this is only a supportive function.
      2016 Black XC90 R Design with B&W, 4C, tow, climate, convenience, Polestar

I have an appointment tomorrow to get my MY2016 upgraded to PA2. I'm going to ask if they PA3 is available. I'm concerned i'll pay for PA2 and then PA3 will come out shortly after and i'll have to pay again.

Can you ask about current PA2 owner (MY18 here) as well?

There's not been a parts bulletin and the part number for the V60 PA3 from Germany isn't a valid part number in the US catalog. It's also not listed on Volvo's Accessories page for the XC90 and not in the US for any SPA model. It's likely it'll come later or perhaps will only be a V60. There's just no information about it in the US yet. Even across EU countries itís clearly only listed as an accessory/update for V60 and not other SPA cars. Weíll just need to wait and see if it would be a retroactive update for XC90 or older. Itís probably not unlike the new safety features the XC60 introduced and could only partially apply to the existing SPA XC90 models already deployed.
      Last edited by VolvoUhu; 09-06-2018 at 09:45 PM.
      --

Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post

Thanks

For sure - it will be cool to be able to get PA3 with augmented assist via Nav... actually what’s interesting is with the latest update I received over the summer I’ve noticed PA2 seems to have some intelligence in how it takes turns by slowing down through curves then accelerating out. I was surprised by that enhancement but definitely welcome. It’s much like the Porsche Apex Assist (forgot what they call theirs), although Porsche’s is more about helping to make the “pilot” better.
      Can you post a video about this behaviour? I’m really interested to see the car slow down in curves on it’s own. Can you tell us which year’s model do you have? And when was the update applied?

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      IF Volvo is using Mobile Eye EyeQ3 on any of their cars, they could be doing A LOT more with it than what the current state of PA is. AP1 Teslaís used EyeQ3, and they have far better capabilities than PA.
      18 XC60 T6 Inscription- everything except lux seating
      12 VW Eos Executive
      Past Volvoís: 2016 V60 T5 Platinum FWD, 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by VxF View Post
      Like Oklahoma?
      Ouch, that hurt! Lol
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

Quote Originally Posted by Shailesh_Garach View Post
      I have an appointment tomorrow to get my MY2016 upgraded to PA2. I'm going to ask if they PA3 is available. I'm concerned i'll pay for PA2 and then PA3 will come out shortly after and i'll have to pay again.
      I asked about PA3, and the service rep said he hadn't heard of anything. That usually means nothing, as most of the members of this forum are probably better informed than your average service rep.

There's not been a parts bulletin and the part number for the V60 PA3 from Germany isn't a valid part number in the US catalog. It's also not listed on Volvo's Accessories page for the XC90 and not in the US for any SPA model. It's likely it'll come later or perhaps will only be a V60. There's just no information about it in the US yet. Even across EU countries itís clearly only listed as an accessory/update for V60 and not other SPA cars. Weíll just need to wait and see if it would be a retroactive update for XC90 or older. Itís probably not unlike the new safety features the XC60 introduced and could only partially apply to the existing SPA XC90 models already deployed.
      I found the US part number for the v60

Quote Originally Posted by LowlyOilBurner View Post
      IF Volvo is using Mobile Eye EyeQ3 on any of their cars, they could be doing A LOT more with it than what the current state of PA is. AP1 Teslaís used EyeQ3, and they have far better capabilities than PA.
      Search "delphi racam XC90" and you can see XC90 was initially shipped with Delphi RaCAM for Intellisafe.

And this shows Mobileye EyeQ3 SoC is used for video processing:
      https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300222178.html

Well it was from 2014 so no idea which firmware version they used on the EyeQ3 SoC, or got upgraded to the latest from Mobileye or not.

But we all agree that this is too old for today's driver assist market. A better system should detect stopped car far enough in front, and also on curves, or the cornering track when making a turn. Then you can let the car drive on city street as well.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 09-07-2018 at 12:27 PM.

I have asked my local dealer, and he said this particular update is only for V60. I really hope Volvo will release one suited for the XC90 as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Shailesh_Garach View Post
      I found the US part number for the v60
      Youíre right, itís now in the online US V60 catalog. Itís the same part number and as speculated given only an exclusion for Armenia that it would roll out WW. Still not listed for any XC90 across EU or NA. I should have waited a few more days before asking about it to try and get bulletin info. Itís clearly just V60 for now.
      --

Did anyone asked dealer if this will become available for XC90 as accessory?

Sent from my iPhone
      2015.5 XC60 Premier Plus, Polestar, bi-xenon, Tech+Blis Packages, Nav. w/Sensus Connect, Cristal White, 20"Titania Wheels, Integrated Running Bords, Thule Cross Bars, Auto Dimming Side Mirrors, Sport Seats, Dual tone heated steering wheel with paddle shift.

2018 XC90 T6 Inscription AWD, Polestar, Cristal White, Vision, Convenience, Climate/HUD, Protection Packages, B&W, 4-C Air Suspension, 21" Optional Factory Wheels, Iliminated Runing Boards, Skid Plate Front, Front Decor Frame,Thule Cross Bars, Load Opening Strip with Ilumination, Mud Flaps

Quote Originally Posted by narcisgeorgescu View Post
      Did anyone asked dealer if this will become available for XC90 as accessory?

Sent from my iPhone
      my dealer did not have any info on intellisafe 3.

Come back to this thread. I think there is enough evidence that updated Intellisafe (PA generation 3, as called in the accessory) is on V60/S60.

It is listed on Volvo US site under both S60/V60. It is also listed under V60 for other regions.
      https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...19/all/all/all
      https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...19/all/all/all

And there is report mention this. It seems improved curve enter/exit behavior.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar181589.html

The main advantage of the Volvo S60 Pilot Assist compared to similar systems in other Volvo cars is the cornering improvement. The Pilot Assist here will corner the S60 with more confidence and will probably mimic the behavior of a seasoned driver.
      Now we only need some V60 owners to come here and tell us what they get.

Will it be retrofitted to existing SPA models? I wish they do, like they did several months after PA2 debut on S90 MY2017.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast