how to open tailgate with dead battery-v50 t5 2006
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

how to open tailgate with dead battery-v50 t5 2006

We're swapping engines as this one's done. Battery is out of the car. How does one open the tailgate? it appears to us you can only open with key fob, which isnt working without the battery.

Is there a manual override for opening the rear tailgate from inside?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The s40 has a pull cord that's visible in the trunk. Maybe the v50 has the same thing but it's hidden behind a trim piece on the tailgate

There are many, many threads on this, all searchable.

Here's one from the sticky: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?179629
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tmtalpey View Post
      There are many, many threads on this, all searchable.

Here's one from the sticky: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?179629
      Thank you. I did search and nothing relevant came up. Odd. All of them were related to a bad latch or solenoid, where the tailgate was working and stopped working. I am looking for a manual override from inside. Tailgate works if battery is attached.
      I also looked through the stickied DIY section and skipped this thread as its titled "v50 tailgate removal" in the stickies.
      The thread you posted, much appreciated, shows how to get access to the latch itself if it fails.

I am looking for a way to open a working tailgate without use of the key or outside handle at license.

Quote Originally Posted by Boboli View Post
      The s40 has a pull cord that's visible in the trunk. Maybe the v50 has the same thing but it's hidden behind a trim piece on the tailgate
      I was expecting something like this too but couldnt find one.

Yeah, there is no manual override. The glow-in-the-dark pull cord in the sedan Is a US compliance thing, to allow kids and hostages to escape. It's not required where access to the interior is open, like the wagon.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Ok, was afraid of that. Thanks.
      P-

Just hook the battery back up for a few seconds.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70 2.5T - Ice White - Oak Arena, (almost) bone stock daily driver.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car. No mods unless she does 'em herself.

Quote Originally Posted by LloydDobler View Post
      Just hook the battery back up for a few seconds.
      Sounds easy but it’s not. Battery is in the back area so he has to open tailgate or crawl through interior to get battery. He’s got the car at his auto shop classroom (it’s his class long project). He’s storing parts in back as he removes them.

Ok I just did this at the junk yard today. Of you climb in the cargo area, pull off the trim from around the top of the hatch. Pull off the lower trim panel as much as you can. It won't come off were the recessed handle is unless you unscrew it but you don't have to but be careful not to put too much pressure or you may break something. You will see 3 10mm bolts at the bottom. These are for the latch. Remove them. Push the hatch open a little. Disconnect the wire for the latch an open the rest of the way. I was able to do this without breaking anything.
      Last edited by AutoGeek; 09-28-2018 at 10:10 PM.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

Borrow a battery, hook up jumper cables, or a battery charger. There's more than one 12v power source in the world.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70 2.5T - Ice White - Oak Arena, (almost) bone stock daily driver.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car. No mods unless she does 'em herself.

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements