Meet my newest venture into the Volvo world. "Black Swede Steed" - Page 4
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Quick little update. This Corona situation has drastically reduced my driving. Just rolled over 188k this week.

I have a habit of discovering more broken things as I fix others.

1) I ordered a Grom, installed it. It's nice...but now my driver's side dash and door speakers aren't working mysteriously. I'll have to pull the radio out again and see if something is getting pinched.

2) I ordered new lock pins and bezels. I had thought about getting a friend to 3d print some, but I got attracted to the ipd ones. They're nice, but now I discovered (as I'm sure we all have at some point that after 20 years the glue on door panels has failed. Both rear doors are pretty bad. Another future project. I barely open the rear doors, so not a huge priority. 2a)Discovered the tailgate lock pin does not twist off the same way, and the hole for the bezel needs to be widened slightly to accept the ipd pin. Also had a repair kit for the clips etc, replaced those, but then immediately broke them when I messed up putting it back on.

3) installed new tailgate struts. Learned quickly that one strut will not hold it up at all. Luckily I caught the door before it fully smashed my leg.
      3a) my rear wiper has never worked. Determined it works with tailgate up and starts to slow about 20 degrees from closed. Think it's getting pinched in the hinge.

4) finally decided I didn't like having my lower grills missing. I have my original peices in the back of the car above the spare, but clips are cracked. Nice and easy install of new OEM grills. Eggcrate really pops now.... still need to put black bezels in my jewels.

5) I was doing some investigating of integrity of motor mounts and noticed strange wear on my ps front rotor. Full contact on outside pad, half contact on inside pad. I was gonna pull a wheel and investigate, but my driveway wasn't playing nice with my jack. I have a gravel driveway and it was a little soft from rain recently.

My accomplishments with this car are tiny and barely worth recognizing, but nonetheless it gives me joy to drive.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

"My accomplishments with this car are tiny and barely worth recognizing, but nonetheless it gives me joy to drive"

I disagree, any accomplishment is worthy of recognition !
      01 S60 T5M Black, middle sons
      00 S70 GLT Black, youngest sons
      00 S70 GLT5 SE Moondisaster, T5 Swap
      00 V70R Black, First P80 Wagon
      01 E46 325 XI Touring Silver, Wifes, totalled, bought back, repaired

Quote Originally Posted by UT OLI View Post
      "My accomplishments with this car are tiny and barely worth recognizing, but nonetheless it gives me joy to drive"

I disagree, any accomplishment is worthy of recognition !
      Thanks for the positivity!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Ordered front rotors and pads today. Rotor on passenger side is definitely not right. Surprised no one has noticed it yet. I'd never looked closely and expect it would have been something either mechanic id taken it to would have seen.

But I suppose it's not something obvious unless you pulled the rotor. It hides fairly well because of the dust shield. Tried to capture a picture. (Foreground is the dust shield for reference)

I'd guess the pad somehow isn't sitting on the right spot? Or part of the friction material is missing? Weird nonetheless.

I have an extra long weekend so maybe the parts will arrive and I can tackle it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by cbblunk View Post
      My accomplishments with this car are tiny and barely worth recognizing, but nonetheless it gives me joy to drive.
      Uh, oh! Iím in trouble then! I just posted about cleaning and installing a floor mat, LOL. To me it just keeps track of improvements and shows pride of ownership! Drive on, sir!
      Current - 2000 V70R 445/3876 | Past - 1998 V70 XC 421/3980 | RIP - 1986 RX-7 GXL WU/FD2

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_Wagon View Post
      Uh, oh! Iím in trouble then! I just posted about cleaning and installing a floor mat, LOL. To me it just keeps track of improvements and shows pride of ownership! Drive on, sir!
      ^ if I do something I took a picture of I post it because otherwise those pictures are just gonna get lost and I'll have no record of what was done.
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 297k.
      1997 850R Estate. B5234T9/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 280k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 141k.
      Instagram: Jared's Volvo Page

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

I've got lots of goodies coming soon.

Front rotors and pads,

Motor mounts

And drumroll....

Delrin subframe bushings!

Lots of busted knuckles to be had. Any tips and tricks welcome!

Subframe bushing removal - drop the subframe out. Use a sawzall with a demo blade to cut the outer plastic shell in the void between the inner and outer parts of the bushing. From the top of the subframe, hammer a prybar or large flathead screwdriver between the plastic bushing sleeve and pry down and the bushing should pop right out. This way takes 10 minutes total to remove all 4 bushings. Iíve done it on a couple of subframes and itís super easy. Make sure you donít cut the subframe but otherwise itís pretty simple
      1999 V70 R -- gone, but not forgotten.
      2000 V70 R -- 04 B5234T9 w/ 18T, Stevo tune, M66, CX Racing coilovers, 996TT front BBK. Always working on something...

A deadblow hammer will pop the bushings out in one or two blows if you have the subframe out already. Kinda the reason to go through the work to remove it.
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 211k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 305k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 246k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 218k - Sisters

Yeah definitely no need to cut up the bushings if you got the subframe out already.

I flipped the subrfame over and installed my last set of delrin with a hammer, too.

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Definitely wasn't planning on dropping subframe. Not equipped for that. Have read that a hole saw can get them out without too much difficulty?

Unless it's way easier than I expect to do that?

Have 2 Jacks and jackstands. Was planning on one corner at a time.

just need an engine support bar then

and make sure those jackstands aren't in the harbor freight recall

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      just need an engine support bar then

and make sure those jackstands aren't in the harbor freight recall
      Definitely not harbor freight brand!

Got parts to do engine mounts while I'm tackling subframe bushings. Put some on blaster on some bolts to learn the lay of the land as not much was cooperating. Will revisit another day.

Top mount is definitely shot. But couldn't get bolts to break loose today.

Put in a poly trans torque mount, decreased some nvh slightly in R+D that's been annoying. I assume it'll go away fully once I replace top.

Unrelated, not that I'd expect anyone to remember, but I discovered there is an unreported rear end hit.

I pulled the trim between the tailgate and glass. And discovered the gate used to be blue. Looks like a junkyard replacement and repaint. No prep, just right over the top of the blue.

Same color on the other panel above the tailgate. Nautic? Apologies to the Nautic lovers that my R titled R stole a tailgate.

your engine mounts are super toast if poly torque mounts are REDUCING NVH. Should be increasing NVH.....

Wow that is an atrocious repanit

Yeah, itís that kinda stuff that makes you wish there was a solid, documented history of, not only, what people did, but why they did it. Crazy that they couldnít even be bothered to remove the trim by the window. Disappointing to say the least. Weíll just assume it was a Nautic non-R that supplied the replacement hatch. It was an actual Nautic R, I donít think I could handle it, LOL.
      Current - 2000 V70R 445/3876 | Past - 1998 V70 XC 421/3980 | RIP - 1986 RX-7 GXL WU/FD2

Quote Originally Posted by JaredR View Post
      your engine mounts are super toast if poly torque mounts are REDUCING NVH. Should be increasing NVH.....

Wow that is an atrocious repanit
      Yeah I'm aware it is supposed to increase nvh. So like you said, everything else is likely trashed at this point. Carfax says engine mount(s) were replaced at about 100k, but doesn't specify which.

I'm wondering if it just changed the frequency of what I was feeling/hearing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_Wagon View Post
      Yeah, itís that kinda stuff that makes you wish there was a solid, documented history of, not only, what people did, but why they did it. Crazy that they couldnít even be bothered to remove the trim by the window. Disappointing to say the least. Weíll just assume it was a Nautic non-R that supplied the replacement hatch. It was an actual Nautic R, I donít think I could handle it, LOL.
      That's what is weird about it, it was dealer serviced from new to 145k. As far as I can figure, it was totaled because of hail in 2010, but I guess it could have been hail first, first owner drove it as is, then got rear ended to total. I emailed the seller, maybe they'll share more details now that I've had the car for almost two years.

Gradual progress today. PB blaster and a few choice words broke loose the bolts for the top engine mount.

Removed and replaced. Old part likely was already a replacement. Looks like a Hutchinson like I put in. Evidence of ground off Volvo logo. Rubber wasn't terribly torn, but stiffened up compared to new part. Fixed most of the annoying nvh I was experiencing.

Im gonna try and tackle the passenger mount again tomorrow.

Still getting up the courage to do delrin. Need to get my spare car back in action so I won't be screwed if I can't get everything out in one day (or a weekend) Shop I use that is convenient to my job declined to even quote me on the R&R.

Beautiful weekend here in PA.

Tacked the passenger mount this morning.

Bolts to frame were rusty and watery? Oil+water frothy. Maybe thats normal, but I definitely have some evidence of old leaks around. Forgot to photograph what I saw. Pics of old mount in place. Didn't photograph new.

Only real difficulty was working on gravel and making absolutely sure I had solid jack/stands. I think that's a big hesitation for me working on it. Nothing I've done was terribly difficult. I don't think I can safely do subframe bushings in my driveway. Anyone paid for that job know what a reasonable ballpark is? 1hr per corner?

Just shy of 189k...

Was doing oil change on the lady's car and did the Volvo while I was sweaty and dirty.

Also replaced filter housing. It was cracked

Need to keep better track of oil level. Drained 5qts...so burned 1.1 qt over 4k miles. I'm thinking some leaks and some burn. Not horrible I guess...but don't want to get too low between oil changes.

Forgot to post her that I had delrin put in a week or so ago. Did front motor mount as well while it was at the shop.

3.25 hours labor for both. Got annual safety and emissions while it was there.

Definitely like the tightening up of the front end. I need to push things more to really test it.

Only negative was the Poly torque mount didn't play well with the delrin. Swapped that out for an aftermarket rubber this morning and that fixed the problem.

Still have a mysterious chirp in the front end. Its not consistent enough to figure out. It happens sometimes just shifting from park, and other times coming off throttle at slow speed. Mostly under slow left turn.

Hope everyone else is finding a way to enjoy your cars this summer despite 'rona.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Chirping sound is probably your axle bolt. Look up ďaxle pingĒ
      1999 V70 R -- gone, but not forgotten.
      2000 V70 R -- 04 B5234T9 w/ 18T, Stevo tune, M66, CX Racing coilovers, 996TT front BBK. Always working on something...

Quote Originally Posted by andyb5 View Post
      Chirping sound is probably your axle bolt. Look up ďaxle pingĒ
      That sounds like the issue I'm having. Ordered the "anti ping" bolts. We'll see how that goes. Seems like a super easy fix.

Have you used the anti ping bolts with success or just replaced with oem Volvo bolts?

190k. Pic 1

Discovered rear exhaust cam seal leaking.

Regretting not taking care of PCV sooner. Lesson learned. Not bad for original PCV!

Getting that taken care of next month.

Turkey decided to block traffic. Pic 2

Found this at the beer store and had to get it. Nice dry cider. Good way to start my weekend. Pic 3

95WanderWagen
      I see dinner in pic 2...

Tried texting you, howís the delrin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4