Start/stop - disable in 2018? 2019 has it!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Start/stop - disable in 2018? 2019 has it!

New user here, and new 2018 XC60 owner. I'd like to disable the start/stop function permanently. I understand the benefits of the function, but I'd rather have the choice to just turn it off. We took the '18 in for service, they gave us a '19 as a loaner. Noticed right away that the start/stop function can be permanently disabled. Asked the dealer, they said that this is true, however the software update cannot be applied to the '18s.

Is there any truth to this? I can't believe Volvo wouldn't give prior model year owners the same option.

Thanks!

UPDATE 9/21/2018: Petition started to help Volvo allow this feature. Please sign! We'll take the signatures to Volvo and persuade them to do this.

https://www.change.org/p/volvo-corpo...2-0d2e1283cfe5
      Last edited by bommerts; 09-21-2018 at 10:49 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I can confirm for my 2019 it remembers the last setting so disable is possible. 😁 that said I believe its just an update.

It is true that they cannot disable auto start stop in older cars. It was part of the Emissions Qualification so in order to disable an emission control device, they would have to resubmit the vehicle for Federal Emissions Testing.
      I agree it is a bothersome system, has many drawbacks, is annoying, doesn't save much fuel, puts heavier wear on the starter, flywheel, and battery systems. Half the time doesn't work anyway and people complain it DOESN"T work.
      2011 S60 T6 Ember Black/Off Black, P* Tune, TDI-Tuning Box, DO88 Intercooler, IPD DP, Simons Sport Exhaust, IPD rear sway bar, H&R Springs, Bilstein B8's, 19" Polestar Wheels, 90mm Wheel Studs

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

That's just great. The one thing I hate about driving the car. Just when you forget and you stop for a 1/2 second... the damn thing shuts off. Arrggggghhh

I made "automatic start-stop" off part of my individual settings. Yes I still need to select individual every time that I start the car, but when I do that I don't need to worry about start-stop.
      2018 XC60 R-Design T5 Polestar Optimization | Onyx Black / Charcoal | Vision & Advanced Packages, Bowers & Wilkins, Heated Seats |

Quote Originally Posted by phames View Post
      I made "automatic start-stop" off part of my individual settings. Yes I still need to select individual every time that I start the car, but when I do that I don't need to worry about start-stop.
      Exactly this. Then it's never really a hassle..at least to me. What I actually wish is that there was a timer that could delay the engine stopping/starting (say after 4-5 seconds stopped or whatever). I don't mind the feature. I just want it to activate when I'm at a red light and going to be stopped for a little while. Not at every stop sign I have to stop at in my city for a split second. I've learned to lightly brake when I have the feature on and lightly hold the brake pedal and then it often doesn't engage, unless in Eco mode because it engages before you actually stop then.

Great. We all have done the same. It’s a crap solution at best. Are you (and all others who have championed this ‘solution’ since release) saying you would rather select Individual at every start as opposed to having the vehicle default to the prior mode at each start? If so, I commend you. Me? I want my 10 month old $50K vehicle to get the software update.
      Last edited by RPG; 09-17-2018 at 10:22 PM.
      2018 XC60 T6 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
      Great. We all have done the same. It’s a crap solution at best. Are you (and all others who have championed this ‘solution’ since release) saying you would rather select Individual at every start as opposed to having the vehicle default to the prior mode at each start? If so, I commend you. Me? I want my 10 month old $50K vehicle to get the software update.
      No..not saying I would rather select Individual at startup, but I understand a software update might not happen due to whatever regulations...or one may be a long time coming. So it's not a big deal to me to select a drive mode at start up. Takes two seconds. Would I rather it remember on its own? Of course I do. I'm not sure I'm seeing this solution being "championed"....but it's a doable workaround in absence of anything else. Faster than swiping right and turning it off each time and with individual mode I get to take care of the other things I prefer too....would love it to default to Individual at startup though.

Quote Originally Posted by LostCause77 View Post
      I can confirm for my 2019 it remembers the last setting so disable is possible.
      Must be US/CA spec because in my EU2019 it's still re-enables itself after restart... Just triple-checked this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by dpassent View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by LostCause77 View Post
      I can confirm for my 2019 it remembers the last setting so disable is possible.
      Must be US/CA spec because in my EU2019 it's still re-enables itself after restart... Just triple-checked this morning...
      I had a 2018 first and hated the start/stop so having the ability to turn off permanently is fantastic. Perhaps it was a post sale update? I picked my 2019 up June 13th and had a full software update July16th which enabled auto start and also did a full update of the intellisafe drive / park features

It's absolute crap because you know it's an incredibly simple software update that could EASILY be applied to the 2018s. Seriously, Volvo, you're pissing off your passionate consumer base and are going to lose customers over this.

Quote Originally Posted by phames View Post
      This work-around still requires an unnecessary button scrolling/clicking on every start up. It should be very simple to release a software update and simply make it part of the driver profile.
      2019 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      past:
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

1st world problems really are terrifying, not to mention the cause of finger fatigue.
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey54 View Post
      1st world problems really are terrifying, not to mention the cause of finger fatigue.
      I'm glad you're OK with spending that much on a new car and accepting mediocrity. I'm not.

I don't need to disable start/stop on T8, but I still change to individual mode every time after starting the car.

What I really wish is to tie the default driving mode to key fob...

As to what's the default in guest key fob or if persistent (if as tested by EPA), I really don't care.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Yes, what Volvo needs to do is make "Individual" selectable as the start-up option in your profile instead of you having to select it every time. Start/Stop problem solved, along with anything else that's covered in the "Individual" settings.

Yes except for those who don't have drive mode settings like on my T5, but are still cursed with this blasted start/stop feature.

Whenever manufacturer releases a major update to a car, they (presumably) have spent time, money and effort to evolve all features in a positive way. Ultimately this is supposed to make ownership experience more enjoyable, and help them sell more cars. Sadly, in this case, too many ergonomic sacrifices were made in favor of aesthetics. Nobody in their right mind enjoys performing mindless repetitive tasks every time they start the engine (1st world or 3rd, $10K car or $100K) . Well, possibly a clinical OCD case..
      past:

Quote Originally Posted by genesmasher View Post
      Whenever manufacturer releases a major update to a car, they (presumably) have spent time, money and effort to evolve all features in a positive way. Ultimately this is supposed to make ownership experience more enjoyable, and help them sell more cars. Sadly, in this case, too many ergonomic sacrifices were made in favor of aesthetics. Nobody in their right mind enjoys performing mindless repetitive tasks every time they start the engine (1st world or 3rd, $10K car or $100K) . Well, possibly a clinical OCD case..
      My point is the current implementation of start/stop, while annoying, is certainly not the end of the world as we know it and it certainly won't cause me to ditch the xc60 for another brand as some have claimed they will do.
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

My point is the current implementation of start/stop, while annoying, is certainly not the end of the world as we know it and it certainly won't cause me to ditch the xc60 for another brand as some have claimed they will do.
      I have a T8, so I can't really comment on auto stop/start in this vehicle. Pressing a single button in my S60 upon each start up is mildly annoying, but I do agree with you - it's not the end of the world. My main beef is with Individual mode, which requires a full Sensus load (otherwise the screen is not responding really), followed by pressing the wheel, scrolling down and pressing it again to enable it (followed by a few more seconds as the car readjusts itself). Since it needs to be done every time one restarts the engine, it soon becomes pretty aggravating. Likewise to adjust the fan speed, or load Navigation map in full-screen mode - since these are also dependent on the (painfully slow) Sensus load time and require a number of presses to get to the end result. Simple software fix would alleviate these issues, although I'd still prefer to have a physical knob for the fan.
      past:

I think you'd be surprised; I can't speak for everyone, but it is such an incredibly annoying "feature" that will prevent me, at least, from buying any car where it cannot be permanently disabled. ESPECIALLY annoying given that they fixed the problem in 2019 and it would be VERY simple to fix for existing 2018 customers. Unless they correct this, I will not buy another Volvo. Volvo, are you listening?
      Last edited by bommerts; 09-21-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bommerts View Post
      I think you'd be surprised; I can't speak for everyone, but it is such an incredibly annoying "feature" that will prevent me, at least, from buying any car where it cannot be permanently disabled. ESPECIALLY annoying given that they fixed the problem in 2019 and it would be VERY simple to fix for existing 2018 customers. Unless they correct this, I will not buy another Volvo. Volvo, are you listening?
      You are not alone. I will be buying a new sedan next year, and poorly executed interface and Volvo's inability(or unwillingness) to address it is the primary reason I am seriously considering leaving the brand, after owning and mostly enjoying four Volvo's in the last 5 years. Acura, BMW, Lexus, etc. all have better ergonomics, even if the design is not as nice as the SPA's.
      past:

Quote Originally Posted by genesmasher View Post
      You are not alone. I will be buying a new sedan next year, and poorly executed interface and Volvo's inability(or unwillingness) to address it is the primary reason I am seriously considering leaving the brand, after owning and mostly enjoying four Volvo's in the last 5 years. Acura, BMW, Lexus, etc. all have better ergonomics, even if the design is not as nice as the SPA's.
      I'm in the same boat - looking at a '19 S90, gorgeous car, but absolutely refuse to buy a Volvo unless they make this right on our XC60.

Quick update, started a petition here. Please sign! We will take the signatures to Volvo to help them reconsider.

https://www.change.org/p/volvo-corpo...2-0d2e1283cfe5

Not saying that I don't agree with you, however, Volvo fixed it. Not to mention, mostly luxury cars that I've driven, GLC, RR Sport and 3 series all defaulted with auto start/stop on. So if you go by the rule you made up about buying cars, you'd be restricted from buying many vehicles...

For those who may drive with their hands on the shift or near it, if you bump the shift over to manual mode stop will not engage when coming to a stop.
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

Quote Originally Posted by Putertech View Post
      For those who may drive with their hands on the shift or near it, if you bump the shift over to manual mode stop will not engage when coming to a stop.
      Many people are scared by manual shifting mode nowadays. They don't want to touch anything manual.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

I grew up driving a stick so its still a habit for me to have my hand there................
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

Quote Originally Posted by Putertech View Post
      I grew up driving a stick so its still a habit for me to have my hand there................
      Me too! Plus my other car, a Fiat, has a dual-clutch auto....which at least in their implementation, needs a little extra car so I always shift to neutral at stops to be sure it isn't slipping one of the clutches...I think a software update fixed that issue but it's habit now. So I sort of do the same in the Volvo sometimes...just switch over to manual as I'm coming to a stop...but I do agree it shouldn't NEED to be done. It is likely simple to update the software to allow a permanent selection...everything I've researched on it though isn't that it's hard to do...it's more of a bureaucracy issue due to how the car was submitted for fuel efficiency ratings or whatever the case was...

I have to say I've had Start/Stop in my previous vehicles, including my last XC60 and various rental cars and it never bothered me. But now in month 11 of my 2018 T6 AWD XC60, I can fully confirm that the start/stop implementation in this particular model is significantly inferior and far more disruptive than other vehicles I have driven. At times, in the right circumstances, it is dangerous and disruptive.

Sure you can press buttons all the time or change drive modes, but that in itself can be distracting thus dangerous. A better solution all around would have been a less disruptive/better tuned implementation. Lots of makers have pretty innovative solutions.

And don't get me started on the other big fail this particular model, turbo/complete power lag for full seconds when accelerating just after decelerating... and I'm not even picky when it comes to performance and response compared to most.

Quote Originally Posted by pfram View Post
      I have to say I've had Start/Stop in my previous vehicles, including my last XC60 and various rental cars and it never bothered me. But now in month 11 of my 2018 T6 AWD XC60, I can fully confirm that the start/stop implementation in this particular model is significantly inferior and far more disruptive than other vehicles I have driven. At times, in the right circumstances, it is dangerous and disruptive.

Sure you can press buttons all the time or change drive modes, but that in itself can be distracting thus dangerous. A better solution all around would have been a less disruptive/better tuned implementation. Lots of makers have pretty innovative solutions.

And don't get me started on the other big fail this particular model, turbo/complete power lag for full seconds when accelerating just after decelerating... and I'm not even picky when it comes to performance and response compared to most.
      Can you elaborate a little more on “I can fully confirm that the start/stop implementation in this particular model is significantly inferior and far more disruptive than other vehicles I have driven. At times, in the right circumstances, it is dangerous and disruptive.“

I’m also not experiencing “turbo/complete power lag for full seconds when accelerating just after decelerating”. Were you always experiencing that? Or did it crop up over time? Like what’s a situation in which this happens? My last few cars have been Audi and Fiat turbos and I felt much more lag in those cars than I ever have in my T6.

Quote Originally Posted by Vavavavolvo View Post
      Can you elaborate a little more on “I can fully confirm that the start/stop implementation in this particular model is significantly inferior and far more disruptive than other vehicles I have driven. At times, in the right circumstances, it is dangerous and disruptive.“

I’m also not experiencing “turbo/complete power lag for full seconds when accelerating just after decelerating”. Were you always experiencing that? Or did it crop up over time? Like what’s a situation in which this happens? My last few cars have been Audi and Fiat turbos and I felt much more lag in those cars than I ever have in my T6.
      Do not mix apples and pears

Volvo T6 engine has combines Turbocharging + Supercharging - Therefore, it is much smaller turbo lags

The engine from Audi and Fiat can compare with the Volvo T5 NOT T6

ScreenShot161.jpg

FYI: Audi has a system that does not have a turbo lag at all (Electric Superchargers)

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-how-aud...min-1823681637
      Last edited by BigBang; 09-23-2018 at 06:29 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

[QUOTE=BigBang;7127991]Do not mix apples and pears

Volvo T6 engine has combines Turbocharging + Supercharging - Therefore, it is much smaller turbo lags

The engine from Audi and Fiat can compare with the Volvo T5 NOT T6

I think you've got the wrong person. I was saying I do NOT experience the turbo lag on my T6 when compared to my past Audi and current Fiat vehicles. I was saying my past Audi and current Fiats have much more lag than my T6. I am aware the supercharger generally minimizes turbo lag. I was merely asking the other poster who said there was significant lag when accelerating after decelerating in his T6 in what situation that presents itself as when compared to Audi or Fiat systems I have had there is pretty much no lag that I experience at all in any situation when compared to those vehicles. My Fiat has significant lag for example but of course it does not have a supercharger. He cited the turbo lag of his T6 as a "big failure" of the Volvo vehicle so I was wondering where this was coming from and if he had had a lot of experience with other turbocharged vehicles since the T6 is a particularly good implementation of a turbocharged engine without lag due to the supercharger. That poster and I have the exact same vehicle basically so I was curious why our experience with lag seemed to be so different.

I'm in the same boat with you on this, unfortunately. I've had a series of Volvo wagons constantly since 1985 and still have one. I'm glad that they're allowing the stop/start feature to be permanently turned off starting with MY2019. But they need to do a few more things to get me to buy another Volvo, including making Individual selections permanent when you turn off and restart the car, putting a drive-mode button/dial on the steering wheel (and getting rid of the ridiculous roller dial on the center console), bringing back the option (of a couple years ago) to permanently disable the auto door locking when the car starts to move, increasing the size of the gas tanks by several gallons, and making a less-amateurish-looking instrument-dash screen (including adding back in an engine temperature gauge). And I'm still hoping that Volvo will both improve Sensus and also add in an infrared camera for after-dark driving as a crucial safety feature. These aren't big requests, nor unreasonable; each of these items are present in many other brands' cars of similar or cheaper cost to buy. When you buy a luxury car like Volvo, which plays in the same territory as the big German and British luxury brands, we have a right to ask more than Volvo is giving us -- and this said from a four-decade Volvo loyalist who wants to see Volvo get better! I don't want to go to other brands.
      Last edited by cometguy; 09-24-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vavavavolvo View Post

Yeah, for start stop, the restart was much faster in my previous generation FWD T6 Drive-E. Week before last on a business trip I drove a Jeep Cherokee with start/stop that was noticeably much more responsive which surprised me. I suspect it has something to do with AWD? For the power lag thing, perhaps yes, recently I have noticed the response-lag much more. I don't know if it is turbo lag per se, but similar. I've been experiencing significant response delay recently. Merging on highway a couple days ago, I had to briefly decelerate then accelerate to merge as needed. The response was amazingly slow. Happened again this morning making a right turn into heavy oncoming traffic after a full stop. I've noticed both since first weeks with the car, but noticing more lately so possibly something out of tune. Due for 12 month service in a few weeks and will mention it.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast