Poor range key fob s40 2006
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Poor range key fob s40 2006

Hi guys, I've a problem with my volvo. Since I bought it has always had this problem, the keys (both) work only very closely. I've already changed the batteries but it's the same. I think therefore that it depends on the car and not on the keys. Any ideas? Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hold the plastic blade part to your chin. Works most of the time.
      2007 V50 T5 AWD M66 ~ Custom machined weighted shiftknob powdercoated wrinkle polstarblue, Custom pod filter intake, Muffler delete, 18" Pegasus IPD Reps, EBC redstuff pads, EBC blank rotors.

Yes I know but I would like to solve the problem to the car .. I think it is due to the antennas but I do not know where they are .. Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Mine depends on the weather, the time, what socks I'm wearing. Sometimes I'll get 50m others I'll get 5m. There should be 4-5 antennas around the car. Drivers door, rear window, etc.
      2007 V50 T5 AWD M66 ~ Custom machined weighted shiftknob powdercoated wrinkle polstarblue, Custom pod filter intake, Muffler delete, 18" Pegasus IPD Reps, EBC redstuff pads, EBC blank rotors.

Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar
      The technology in your 2006 is no different than what the car was introduced with in 2004. At that time, many cars didn't even have remotes. Don't expect good range...
      Though one day, the range in my 2006 went from only working right next to the car to working from like 150' away. No idea what changed, it just got better.

My 2008 can be engaged from about 100 yards. It's awesome until you accidentally use the fob to roll down the windows in the rain and have to do a 100 yard sprint to go close them.

In your opinion if I reprogram the keys from the car itself could change something? I had read a procedure somewhere but I can not find it anymore ..

No you'll just spend money to have the same problem.

My first '05 V50 had pretty short range even with a fresh battery in the remotes. My present '05 V50 has a surprisingly long range. My '94 Acura Integra could reach from my 4th floor office and half way across the parking lot. It was great for scaring those pesky folks delivering leaflets to all the windshields while I sit in the comfort of my office and laugh my tail off.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

I think only the dealership can program the keys and I don't think they can re program them. Once the car recognizes the key, it recognizes the key.if your battery is fresh than I don't think you can expect much more. I got my 05 s40 with 1 key that was split in half. I bought 2 new keys from eBay and took it to the dealership to be programmed. I have no idea how old my eBay key's batteries were when I got then, but sometimes they work from a decent distance and sometimes they don't and I need to be close to the car.

I can only add an information that my 2005 can detect remote fob from 30-50 meters easily, even trough walls and windows. When the range degraded earlier, replacing battery helped but in your case if its consistantly bad, I would also suspect remote antennae in the car.
      Have no clue where to look for that though, sorry.
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66, Stage 1 Hilton tune<-Click me
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements