Navigation, please wait... (2012 S60)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Navigation, please wait... (2012 S60)

Does anyone else have this issue?

Dealer has no idea and says it will take hours to try to diagnose.

Sometimes (rarely) it does load and it works, but it thinks the car is in Washington DC.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yea you probably need to update the software or get a new software with your destination/location/state map settings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so I think the problem is that the hard disk drive inside the head unit is bad. I can hear it (with the car off and it's quiet) trying to load over and over again. A lot of clicking in a repeated pattern that sounds like a hard drive that's failed.

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the hard drive inside this thing or do I need to replace the whole unit?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Have your dealer check Technical Journal TJ 27568. Here is an abbreviated copy:

--------------------------------------------------

CCM = Climate Control Module
      ICM = Infotainment Control Module
      IAM – Integrated Audio Module
      USB = Universal Serial Bus

DESCRIPTION:
      It may happen that the Navigation function in the Sensus system does not start correctly when the customer pushes the NAV button on the CCM. Instead, the message “Navigation please wait...” is displayed in the ICM for a long period of time before the map is shown. This symptom occurs due to a timing problem in the software that was released in production from structure week 2012w20. Older vehicles that have been updated with this software could also suffer from this symptom as the software is backwards compatible.

NOTE: This symptom only occurs during the startup phase of the Navigation function and not during ordinary use. If the message “Navigation please wait...” is displayed during ordinary use of the system this could indicate a problem with the MOST-net.

PRODUCT MODIFICATION:
      New software, released 2012w48, removes the function in the startup phase that causes the timing issue. This software can be used to fix units with this symptom.

MATERIAL RETURN:
      None required

SERVICE:
      If any of the DTCs indicated above is set, the unit needs to be exchanged. If there are no DTCs, the unit needs to be upgraded. Please perform an IAM upgrade.
      If the unit is stuck in “Navigation please wait...” mode, the unit will need to be forced into programming mode before software download begins. If this is the case, please follow the instructions below:

1. When the IAM Upgrade package becomes available in VIDA, click the DOWNLOAD button.
      2. Follow VIDA instructions and load the files onto the USB stick.
      3. Insert the USB stick in the USB connector in the car.
      4. Disconnect FUSE 11C/1 (F1), (40 amps) in fuse box 15/36
      5. Wait 10 seconds.
      6. Insert the fuse again.
      7. Press the CONTINUE button in VIDA within 5 seconds, and the files will be downloaded to the IAM.

Volvo Standard Times Guide (VSTG) OPERATION NUMBER:

36004-2 Software control module download See VSTG

-------------------------
      2019 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      past:
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

Awaiting Approval

Same issue on 2013 S60

Quote Originally Posted by lasersocks View Post

Sometimes (rarely) it does load and it works, but it thinks the car is in Washington DC.
      My '13 S60 developed same issue today. Stuck in "navigation, please wait" and not able to access other buttons like radio. Only the temperature. a/c button and fan speed works so appears to be complete Sensus failure. Anyone have solution as cars is out of the warranty.

TIA

Still dealing with this issue - I'm going in to Volvo tomorrow to hopefully have this resolved.

Took the car in today to have this resolved and Volvo said there was a DTC for IAM-U220041. I was told that updating the software to try to fix this could potentially brick the system, Because of this they suggested I replace the headunit for $1363. I said no.

if they say its the screen unit it self then you can get used good one on ebay for 300$ and maybe another 100 install in any other shop or u can do it ur self free. Other i would try to pull the fuse for the system it self and give like 10 min and put back see if this will fix the issue.
      Last edited by Pauls90; 11-28-2018 at 01:48 PM.
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

The screen itself works fine - the only issue is the navigation never really loads.

Is this what I would replace?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2012-Volvo-60-Series-Navigation-DVD-Player-31344875AA-OEM/312287883819?hash=item48b5cef22b:g:K3MAAOSww7tb2QR 1:rk:17f:0&vxp=mtr
      Last edited by lasersocks; 11-28-2018 at 01:52 PM.

The screen itself works fine - the only issue is the navigation never really loads.

Is this what I would replace?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Volvo-S60-XC...2:pf:0&vxp=mtr
      Not sure since screen might work fine but it might have other things build in to it. i would call maybe another dealer and tell them you have this issue what unit part# responsible for navigation and they can give it to you than you can ebay it.
      Own:
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:

Paul.

Also, does it have to be programmed to the car or can I just swap it in?

Also, does it have to be programmed to the car or can I just swap it in?
      Well only way to know is plug it in if it works then nothing need it. But i think you in right track i found this https://www.ebay.com/i/222782849429?chn=ps and looks like it is what you need but i guess it has to say navigation radio since some came without
      Own:
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:

Paul.

yea this looks right as well - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/312287883819#vi-ilComp

I just need to know if I need to take it to Volvo to be programmed or if it can be done with VDASH or Vida.

Ye hard to say on this deff not sure.
      Own:
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:

Paul.

yea this looks right as well - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/312287883819#vi-ilComp

I just need to know if I need to take it to Volvo to be programmed or if it can be done with VDASH or Vida.
      The unit in the link should work. Look for NAVI/DVD" designation (not "CD" or "DVD"), ideally from a model year close to yours. If you are replacing an existing IAM unit from a car with navigation, replacement IAM module may work without any software update (unless you have active MOST protection). If your car didn't have navigation before, you will need to "activate" the feature using VDASH ($200-400 depending on your country). My understanding is that VDASH simply overwrites your CEM config file, that contains all factory options installed in your vehicle. I don't think Vida has this capability, but I may be wrong.
      past:

How can I tell if I have active MOST protection?

I'm guessing the navigation software needs reloaded and updated. Vehicles prior to 2105.5 (2015 and before) need the dealer to unlock user updates. Then you can download and install yourself. Either way you need to reload and update nav software.

Can always have Volvo try to do the update. If they brick the system, you're in no worse position, since things already are malfunctioning. And even if bricked, I am sure there's a developer mode Volvo can enter to try and reflash the firmware....Can't imagine it'd be devoid of that fail safe.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 11-29-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Yea, I was at volvo yesterday. The issue if they brick it is the time it takes to re flash the whole system. Apparently it takes hours on the older cars. I was also told there is a risk that if bricked it can't be restored. I was advised to either replace the unit or use a standalone gps.

Yea, I was at volvo yesterday. The issue if they brick it is the time it takes to re flash the whole system. Apparently it takes hours on the older cars. I was also told there is a risk that if bricked it can't be restored. I was advised to either replace the unit or use a standalone gps.
      Couple questions:

1. Did dealer ever unlock unit to allow you to manually install maps without taking the vehicle to service? See Link:

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...11-2015-volvos

2. If dealer has unlocked, what happens if you try to load maps onto a USB drive? Will it recognize and try to reload maps or still hangs?

3. If no unlock has been done by dealer, what is the exact harm of dealer updating unit's software / flash firmware? Does the Sensus unit work at all and only navigation is broken? Does dealer feel the whole Sensus System could be bricked?

From a technological standpoint, computers have ROMs. So even if the software is botched or the ROM flash fails, you can usually reboot into a developer mode and re-flash the device.....So I'm confused how the unit would be permanently bricked?

4. One thing I've never asked...Does Volvo use a physical Hard Drive in its sensus or a solid state media? I'd think using a hard drive would be impractical, since eventually the hard drive arm wears out and dies. Whereas solid state media can without a lot more and is less prone to any failures.

I've tried updating myself but get the message requesting the License Code.

It has a hard drive - and part of issue I believes lies there. You can hear the hard drive ticking in a pattern over and over again, trying to boot the navigation software. Either the drive has failed (though it does sometimes load) or it's the problem related to what genesmasher mentioned above.

It has a hard drive - and part of issue I believes lies there. You can hear the hard drive ticking in a pattern over and over again, trying to boot the navigation software. Either the drive has failed (though it does sometimes load) or it's the problem related to what genesmasher mentioned above.
      For models 2015 and prior, dealers have to unlock the system per the link provided. That's why you get the lisence code error.

If the hard drive has failed, then I would think your whole sensus unit would have malfunctioned. Unless it runs on a different storage device, separate from the Navigation.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      From a technological standpoint, computers have ROMs. So even if the software is botched or the ROM flash fails, you can usually reboot into a developer mode and re-flash the device.....So I'm confused how the unit would be permanently bricked?
      It's a Volvo software. Don't assume anything - i.e. regular technicians will have the ability to access developer mode, or if it even exists.

You need your retailer to upload software according to this bulletin to enable future map reloads via USB without license code. Having said that, a technician needs to be willing to do the legwork if something doesn't work on the first try. Sadly, not all of them are willing/motivated to troubleshoot anything, as my personal experience shows (thanks for nothing, San Diego Volvo ).
      past:

Awaiting Approval
      Hello I have a Volvo V60 2013, sat nav issue saying please wait but after 40 minutes it begins to work. Everything else works fine and the sat nav works fine after the 40 minutes. I told it to Volvo in Poole and they said it's a open circuit on the hard drive. After the 40 minutes it accepts the USB with the updates on but need licence code. If I took it to a different Volvo after 40 minutes so it's all working do you think they will be able to perform the update sorting the timing issue?
      Many thanks
      Larne

Quote Originally Posted by Larne View Post
      Hello I have a Volvo V60 2013, sat nav issue saying please wait but after 40 minutes it begins to work. Everything else works fine and the sat nav works fine after the 40 minutes. I told it to Volvo in Poole and they said it's a open circuit on the hard drive. After the 40 minutes it accepts the USB with the updates on but need licence code. If I took it to a different Volvo after 40 minutes so it's all working do you think they will be able to perform the update sorting the timing issue?
      Many thanks
      Larne
      When we have an issue like that, we arrange to drop off the car the evening before.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch and wiring
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; 7? 245DL & '6? 145DL, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

Having a similar issue after an attempted nav update. Stuck on the "Navigation is starting up" (or whatever it is) screen. During my 30k service yesterday, dealership said they need support from global, so will be taking it in again next week so they can call up global support to figure it out.
      2018 V60 T5 Dynamic AWD, Osmium Grey Metallic
      Previous cars: 2003 Infiniti I35, 2003 VW Passat GLX Variant, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Honda Accord LX

28. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements