Coolant leak. Need thoughts!!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Coolant leak. Need thoughts!!

Im losing coolant and its running down the transmission towards the front of the car. It seems to leak till I don’t have heat then stops. I drove the car 40miles from work and didn’t overheat. It didn’t even fluctuate the temp at all. Doesn’t seem characteristic of a head gasket or physical engine damage. Thoughts guys? Any help from you swedish car driving lords would be much appreciated.

05 s40 t5 6spd

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Very common for the radiator hose to leak there. There's a formed plastic tee in it that cracks.

Thats what im really hoping, going to see if i can order one at work tomorrow. Any tips for getting the air box out?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Not really. I can get then out in a few minutes but it definitely takes practice to get good at it. If you want to jack up the engine with a block of wood and remove the passenger side engine mount, it will give you a lot more room. Not necessary but it will help if you aren't familiar with just the right ways to maneuver the box out.

While you are in there, you might want to consider replacing the thermostat assembly as well.
      Last edited by Tech; 10-04-2018 at 09:38 PM.

What is the trick to getting that hog out of there?

There's really not a good way to describe it. Once its all disconnected, its a matter of just pulling and rotating to get it out.

I cut off the furthest left leg as it was the most problematic and unnecessary for stability upon reassembly. Made getting it back in/out significantly easier.

That hose almost got me a few weeks ago as well. Get the emergency stock part in there but upgrade to a silicone bit when possible so you'll never have to worry about it again. I personally put a hose clamp on all 3 ends of the T to keep it from splitting more so I could continue to commute to work daily while waiting for iPD to ship me their silicone parts. held up 100% just fine.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

It's extremely hard to remove the air box. At the very least you have to remove the computer from the box and also disconnect it from the wiring harness. This will give you the ability to move it around and force it out. As you fight it to the driver's side, be careful not to break the vacuum tubing. You'll have to tilt it up through that area. You can easily disengage a few of the vacuum hard line connections to help give the lines more flexibility.
      After removal, I also ground off the farthest passenger side mount on the box. In stock form, It is such a tight fit. Removing this mount allows a but more room to move the box into place, while not sacrificing the box's mounting stability.

I wouldn't say extremely hard...

I remove the vacuum lines from the vacuum pump no matter what. Takes 2 seconds. The ECM obviously needs to be disconnected but you don't have to remove it from the box. You also don't need to break it, but you can. I don't because when someone is paying me to work on their car, I return it in the condition I received it in.

If you're having trouble you might even be able to use a jack and wood block to jack up the engine a little without disconnecting the passenger side engine mount. There might be enough play to get the box out. But disconnecing the mount isn't hard either.

Guys, read the sticky. Everything you need to know is in there.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      I don't because when someone is paying me to work on their car, I return it in the condition I received it in.
      Lmao...if you do that how does anything ever get fixed!?!?!?! I bet you piss off a lot of owners who get their cars returned with the broken stuff still in it!?!?!!! Haha just kidding, but anyways, I wouldn't cut off anothers airbox legs anyways as it's not mine to mess with.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements