2005 Volvo V50 T5 AWD GT needs new shocks/struts all around
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2005 Volvo V50 T5 AWD GT needs new shocks/struts all around

Mrs. T's V50 is still running strong after 190,000 miles.

However - things are starting to wear...and we've noticed some 'boat motion' after bumps and some steering wheel shimmy at speed (just aligned).

The 'search' Force is not with me - I recall reading here about 'bolt in/out' Complete Front Strut/Spring Assemblies from other make/model vehicles (Mazda3, Ford Focus?) which will fit into our V50/S40's...but can't seem to find any reference in this Forum or Google.

That said - these lower cost alternatives might be for FWD V50/S40.

Any help from the peanut gallery would be greatly appreciated. I accede to your collective wisdom.
      Mine: 2008 C70 M66 OSD Kaixen HID SmartTop
      Hers: 2005 V50 T5 AWD OSD
      Dogs: 1990 VW Syncro Westfalia Camper

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Mazda 3 parts will fit the front of your car but not the rear with AWD. Coilovers are a good option if you're into lowering and dampening adjustability. There's also some adjustable rear shocks that a few users have had luck with. Check out mynameideasweretaken v50 build.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Junior Member LittleRedRidingHood's Avatar
      The complete front strut and spring assemblies from a Mazda 3 or Ford Focus of the same generation will work. The front suspension is the same design between all C30, V50, S40, C70 (minus the spring rates, etc.) as well as their Ford and Mazda counterparts. Note that your AWD will have a spacer on top of the strut (to add ride height) which you may or may not want to transfer over to the new strut/spring assemblies.

The rear suspension on AWD P1's is unique to AWD P1's, so your options are limited to OEM Volvo parts, or a KYB Excel-G which is an adjustable shock. If you're interested in the KYB for the rear shock just let us know and we can point you in the right direction (part numbers).
      2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 - Passion Red
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 - Titanium Grey
      Hilton Tuning Stage 2 ~ Mototec 3" Downpipe & Sport Exhaust ~ Do88 Intercooler ~ Snabb Intake Pipe
      RIP - 2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Geartronic - Passion Red

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks for your quick reply, Ian! Not interested in lowering or dampening adjustability - so will look into Mazda 3 Complete Front Strut/Spring Assemblies...and reuse spacer (thanks for the tip below, Red!)

I went ghetto with Sachs FWD rear shocks (emergency...) and was pleasantly surprised. I formed a ball of wax in place of the rubber dampers to figure out how deep the travel will go or to reveal the shocks bottoming out, and they didn't - even with five passengers and a bunch of luggage on board. They were squeezed down to approximately 3/4" but not more, so I installed the OEM rubbers back.

Handling isn't affected. It corners as it always has and I've pushed it all the way to four-wheel drifts of dry asphalt on Michelin PS4 tires, which is just about as much lateral G as you'll get on street asphalt.

In essence, you *can* use FWD rear shocks in a pinch. At least Sachs ones, as I did. If you seriously overload the car they might bottom out but the risk seems negligible.

An alternative might be BC coilovers, providing that you can get a set with a bit more sensible spring rate than the ridiculously stiff 5/7kg they commonly come with.

I've got Mazda 3 front "quick struts" by Monroe on my s40 2.4i. Bolted up fine and ride well, if stiffer than stock. 25k happy miles on them so far. One thing worth noting is they reduced the ride height by the better part of an inch and may have induced some axle vibration as the lowered guys get. For the price though I'm not complaining - I got them stupid cheap through Amazon warehouse deals.

I have OEM struts&springs on front, but rear is mixmatched - OEM springs + KYAB non-adjustable designed for V50 FWD. It works, but does feel different to whole car setup (rear is much stiffer than front) so bear in mind any non-standard change will affect the car's characteristic. Not sure if I would do the same again.
      Our cars have so many permutations of setup (3 different ride stiffness + fwd/awd difference + S or V difference) that getting it right is a bit of a nuisance. But proce of OEM parts is ridiculous, thats for sure :/
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66, Stage 1 Hilton tune<-Click me
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

FWIW, I used a complete set of KYB springs/struts (fronts only) made for the Mazda 3 on my 2005 V50 AWD before I sold it. Exact fit. Let me know if you'd like part numbers - they are floating around in a thread on here somewhere.
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

I’m just about to grab these and try them on my my08 C30 T5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would very much appreciate part numbers, Logan!

Here you go! SR4083 & SR4084
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

TY!

So the KYB struts for mazda drives like a boat?
      you can reply me on the email
      [email protected]
      Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      FWIW, I used a complete set of KYB springs/struts (fronts only) made for the Mazda 3 on my 2005 V50 AWD before I sold it. Exact fit. Let me know if you'd like part numbers - they are floating around in a thread on here somewhere.

Got Moog quick struts meant for a 2005 Focus for my 2005 V50 AWD look perfect match except- diameter of end that enters steering knuckle is stepped down to 1 3/4 inch as opposed to 2 inch on volvo. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by lsaling View Post
      Got Moog quick struts meant for a 2005 Focus for my 2005 V50 AWD look perfect match except- diameter of end that enters steering knuckle is stepped down to 1 3/4 inch as opposed to 2 inch on volvo. Bummer.
      The focus from that year is 800+ lbs lighter than a AWD V50. Even if they fit I would think they'd be considerably under damped
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

I bought the quick struts for my Oldsmobile and regret it. There is a reason they are so cheap. If you like replacing stuff over and over get the cheap strut bearings these include. At around 180,000 miles I replaced all the stuff using oem parts. 50k miles later my 05 s40 awd still drives like a new car. Greg

Quote Originally Posted by T5CO View Post
      The focus from that year is 800+ lbs lighter than a AWD V50. Even if they fit I would think they'd be considerably under damped
      Not sure what the weight difference is between the AWD V50 and the AWD S40...but the 2006 Mazda 5's weighs something like 40lbs lighter than the AWD S40, so that's the quickstrut's I put on mine (Moog 8614R and L if I recall corrrectly). Damping is decent and Moog really hasn't let me down quality wise pretty much ever. Been on for about 10k at this point and I haven't regretted it yet.

Most people don't realize after 100k mi their springs are starting to sag and wear out, whether they're OEM or not, so replacing the strut only fixes half the problem.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 12-06-2018 at 08:48 PM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

my point here is , it has been mentioned that Focus - Mazda3- S40and V50 share suspension parts. Is there a list anywhere as to cross compatibility or is it hit and miss?

You'd probably have to go directly to the manufacturer and compare specs unless they already know they fit more than one model.
      I have gone quick strut in the past and also regretted it...get new tophat bearings and shocks/struts and reuse everything else.

Nice to Hear someone has Good Life with these V50's & S40's & C30's anyone Know what the Reported Longest Life and Or Highest Miles are ?

I Know it's One Tough Motor : https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...sbi&ajaxhist=0
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

These fit my 08 C30 t5. Fronts. Monroe E4642

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedRidingHood View Post
      The complete front strut and spring assemblies from a Mazda 3 or Ford Focus of the same generation will work. The front suspension is the same design between all C30, V50, S40, C70 (minus the spring rates, etc.) as well as their Ford and Mazda counterparts. Note that your AWD will have a spacer on top of the strut (to add ride height) which you may or may not want to transfer over to the new strut/spring assemblies.

The rear suspension on AWD P1's is unique to AWD P1's, so your options are limited to OEM Volvo parts, or a KYB Excel-G which is an adjustable shock. If you're interested in the KYB for the rear shock just let us know and we can point you in the right direction (part numbers).

Do you happen to still know the part numbers for this KYB Excel-G that would work? And any suggestions on a good set for the front that would be a decent match?

Looked them up on KYB site... Only list for FWD Fronts 334843 and 334842, Rear 343419
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

Junior Member LittleRedRidingHood's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by SCarolina_T5 View Post
      Do you happen to still know the part numbers for this KYB Excel-G that would work? And any suggestions on a good set for the front that would be a decent match?
      Here is more info about the KYB rear shocks: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...wered-FWD-too)

I was mistaken in thinking they're Excel-Gs - they are AGXs:

KYB 741067 AGX Gas Shock
      2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 - Passion Red
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 - Titanium Grey
      Hilton Tuning Stage 2 ~ Mototec 3" Downpipe & Sport Exhaust ~ Do88 Intercooler ~ Snabb Intake Pipe
      RIP - 2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Geartronic - Passion Red

You can use KYB 741067 on the rear- the fronts there are lots of choices as it can be for awd or fwd rockauto has off brand for $40 each

Awesome info. Thanks guys. Didn’t realize there were so many options for the front end. Ended up getting the KYBs for the rear and some Monroe’s for the front. Thanks again

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements